Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deathly Hallows Movie Part 2 - reviews, reactions, etc.  (Read 317 times)

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Deathly Hallows Movie Part 2 - reviews, reactions, etc.
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

Okay, folks.  What did everyone think? 

I liked it on the whole.  I know it deviated from the book in lots of places, but I still thought the movie held together for the most part.  I cried when H/H/R first enter the Room of Requirement from the Hogshead Inn tunnel.  I also cried when Ron discovers that Fred is dead and when Harry sees Lupin and Tonks dead, too. 

And when he's talking with his parents, Sirius and Lupin in the Forbidden Forest.

I liked King's Cross station.  I thought that was done well.  I also really liked the Gringotts scene.  I would have liked more of the dialogue with Ollivander from the book, but oh well.

I was surprised that there was no explanation of why Harry was able to leave King's Cross and "go back."  It seemed to have just been understood that he could.  I thought that was a bit of a plot hole for the movie.  It's not the kind of thing that I would have thought would take that long, either. 

But over all, I thought it was a great movie - well worth seeing in the theater, and maybe even worth seeing twice.

Anyone else?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
Re: Deathly Hallows Movie Part 2 - reviews, reactions, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »

Hey Cho,

I'm on the same page as you.  What bothered me most was that Harry didn't mend his original wand at the end...

But, I was actually pretty impressed and felt like it was all done well.  I bought four tickets for IMAX 3D, and I'll probably buy two more "regular" tickets to see it again.  It was one of my favorites, out of the eight movies.

It was sad to feel like that was the end.  I'll admit, it was emotional for me at parts :)

Bottom line, great movie, well done, recommended to anyone who is on the fence!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »

I actually really liked it. I waited to watch part 1 until Friday night, then went with a roommate early Saturday morning for part 2. I'm glad I waited, because there was really no conclusion in part 1, and I'd have been very upset. Since I expected that, and had planned for it, I was not so upset. :)

I really like this adaptation. I think they did a good job of keeping good stuff from the book and adding things that they could do in a movie that wouldn't necessarily have worked in a book. Of course, it has also been quite some time since I read the book, so maybe the memory was cheating. Still, it worked out well for the movie, I think. I think I was crying the hardest through the stuff with Snape's memories, but had quite a few tears at other points, too.

I loved Molly's victory, and Neville's. Little Albus Severus Potter was adorable! I was quite pleased with the movie. (Okay, admit it, who's surprised?) :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »

Sirius, I was a little surprised by that, too.  On the other hand, they hadn't spent any time dwelling on how hard it hit Harry to lose his wand and how unhappy he was using someone else's wand.  So it wouldn't have made much sense within the movie for him to repair his wand. 

I actually liked the fact that he snapped the Elder Wand and threw it away.  I think that achieves the purpose of making sure it never causes any trouble again better than simply putting it back in Dumbledore's grave.  Because after all, if some other evil wizard tries to find it and is able to trace it to Dumbledore and/or Harry (which, I have to imagine, wouldn't be hard to do given how famous they both are), then they could still grab it from Dumbledore's grave and then attempt to disarm Harry (or worse).

Ping, I also went early Saturday morning.  Which theater did you go to?  I'm curious whether we were in the same theater or not. 
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »

It could be bad for the movie-makers if JKR decides to do a sequel wherein that happens... *eg* (Not that they wouldn't do it anyway and say it was a reboot or something. But still!)

I was at the 10:20 at Tysons AMC. Had several extra minutes of the stupid pre-movie drivel on-screen because of technical difficulties. I think I've mostly managed to scrub the useless trivia from my brain, though. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up