Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Window?
« on: July 12, 2005, 07:05:02 AM »

to give him tools no other wizard possessed - the scar and the ability it conferred, a magical window into Voldemort's mind.

This is from JKR's site. We've seen that Voldy has used the window against Harry. But it really is time for Harry to step up and take the fight to Voldy's door. Is this a big clue into how he's going to do it, do you suppose?

Not that I feel much like speculating, since the book will be here any day now....
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Re: Window?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

I agree; the "window" has to work both ways.  The thing that would scare me is that the Order may use the window/connection between Harry and Voldy to send false messages to Voldy (like Voldy did to Harry re: Sirius).  However, for them to be convincing, Harry couldn't know they were false.  I can only imagine how Harry would react (feeling betrayed, deceived, etc.).  It could lead to a breakdown in his relationship with members of the Order. 
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »

Well, if he learns occlumency really well, maybe he could send messages knowing they were false? If he's good enough. But otherwise, yeah, not a good thing. I hope she doesn't go that route. I feel like Harry really needs to start taking the fight to Voldy and being the actor, rather than being acted upon.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »

But I think it would be poetic justice if Harry messed with YKW's mind instead of vice versa. What if Harry didn't attempt to send messages, but just used the "window" to look into YKW's thoughts? He would be a perfect spy, because he could get accurate information of the Death Eaters' plans from miles away. Of course, I'm willing to bet that YKW is an Occlumens as well, but it would be worth a shot, right? There would have to be a point where he let his guard down, I would imagine.

The problem, though, is that it works both ways. Like you guys said, Harry likely won't be allowed to know anything about the Order's plans unless he gets so shockingly good at Occlumency that he can hide that knowledge, even in his sleep. And if the Order wants Harry to help them by spying on YKW, but they won't even give him basic information, yeah, I can see how that would lead to some bad feelings all around.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

Given that fact, couldn't YKW simply "read" Harry's mind and find out where the HQ of the Order is?

Or is this where the difference between legilimens and mind-reading come in?  What is that difference, anyway?  And if this is off-topic, feel free to move it elsewhere or start another thread.  They're connected in my head.

BTW, I too like the idea, Ping, of Harry using his window into LV's mind to thwart him.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:36:01 PM »

Well, as to the location of the Order, I don't think Harry could let YKW know even if YKW were to use the window to find it. If Dumbledore is still Secret-Keeper, doesn't that mean that unless Dumbledore himself tells someone, they can't find it?

Legilimency and mind-reading still seem like one and the same to me, too, despite what Snape said. I guess the difference must be that Legilimency is less controlled. I suppose that mind reading is more of a "Ooooh I know you're thinking of the number seven!" thing, whereas Legilemency is more of a random thing, where anything that's in the victim's mind is available for viewing? That's my take on it anyways.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:07:56 PM »

I think Ping is on to the secret of unlocking the prophecy; the connection between YKW and Harry will be one (or both) of their undoings.  As Harry gets older/angrier/stronger, he will want to use the connection in an offensive manner to attack the one who murdered his parents.  JRK has already said the last word in book 7 will be "scar."  The scar is the window, as Ping said.  How will he use it . . . .

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 06:41:46 PM »

SPOILER  - Post containes information from HBP

I was disappointed the window/link between Harry and Voldy didn't come out more in this movie.  I expected we would have seen Harry working on Occ. more.  Without that knowledge, isn't his mind an open book to Voldy?  It was SO important for him to learn it in OtP, but now he can just abandon learning it?????

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 06:57:56 PM »

I wondered that too, actually. It seems like he's going to need it, yet I guess not, since he didn't actually learn it.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up