Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie 6 Discussion  (Read 369 times)

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
Movie 6 Discussion
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »

Well, I don't know if this will ever get seen.  I know it is pretty much dead here  :(

I wanted to stop in and see what everyone thought of the movie... I'm hoping that someone else will get the spirit to come check in as well.

I thought the 6th movie was good... but I am going to love anything HP that ever comes out.  I think it was a tough movie to do, and it was always going to be.  But, for what it was, I think it was done fairly well.  The music wasn't quite right for me, which I honestly took away some of the HP "magic" feeling that the movies always had for me.  I also wasn't happy with the amount that we saw other characters in the movie... I just would have loved to have seen more of the OOP characters, I guess.

The movie was pretty funny, I spent a lot of time laughing... and enjoying it while I was watching it... but as I walked out of the theater, it hit me that it really didn't feel like a Harry Potter film.  Of course, I will still watch it many, many times :)

Anyway, what did anyone else think?  Hopefully someone will check-in and see this!

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Movie 6 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »

Hi, Sirius!  I liked the movie, too.  I thought it struck a good balance between just being a good movie and telling part of the HP story.  I also thought that it didn't suffer from what all the other movies do:  trying-too-hard-to-be-just-like-the-book-itis.  I thought it did a good job of just being a movie and telling a story in the way that movies can do and books can't.  I did kind of miss the battle in the castle, though, but I suppose they had to cut somewhere.  I enjoyed all the 'ship stuff, actually.  I thought it added to the movie and was done pretty well.

All in all, not bad.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Sirius

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »

I don't know, I just hate how much was left out.  Re-reading the book, I feel like there was SO much good stuff in there - Scrimegour, for example - that was left out that would have been nice to see.  When Harry stands up to Scrimegour and tells him he won't give him any info on what Dumbledore's up to... and Scrimegour says "you're Dumbledore's man, through and through..." such a powerful part to be left out :(

Maybe I'm just sad it's coming to an end.  I don't know, there was just too much good stuff that was left out that I would have loved to have seen.  I felt like it was a good movie, but not a true Harry Potter movie.  :-\

In other news, I am unable to login with my normal tag (Sirius Black).  It is telling me that the username does not exist.  Did Ping delete me? :(  I tried recovering the password,  but once again, it rejects both the username and my email address, saying the account doesn't exist.  I know it's dead here anyway, but there is always part of me hoping it will liven back up... one day... and while I'm trying to get it to come back to life, I want my normal tag  >:(

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »

So...I haven't seen it yet. I should be able to make it this Saturday. I blame my old roommate, who I want to go with but who was out of town at a work thing.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »

Yes, you should definitely go see it.  I am considering paying to go see it again... Not sure though.  So expensive these days.

But, if you go see it, try NOT to read the book right before you do.  I really recommend seeing the movie THEN reading the book, if you desire.  Reading the book before it will only point out all the things that are missing from the movie lol.

Still a great movie though, and for me to consider paying twice (well, really, 4 times, because my gf will come too), that means a lot - I never go OUT to movies  :P

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »

I did consider re-reading the book, but then I thought better of it. One of my friends was really upset that they'd cut a part out, and when she told me what part, I was like, "Huh, don't remember that being in there in the first place." :D

Also, I seem to be missing a few of my books. I don't know where they are. This is not good. One of them has the mistake where Harry sees the wrong parent first!

One Ping Only

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:03 PM »

Yeah, you'll be happier reading the book AFTER.  Though you might still be upset.

That's no good you can't find your books!  Mine have all kept together so far... and are in decent shape.  I only own 1 of the movies on Blu-Ray... we are goign to try to wait it out until they're all out on Blu-Ray, and just spent the (huge amount of) money to buy them all as a set.

Ok, so back on topic - when you see it Ping, listen to the music.  I'm curious to see what you think.

SEMI SPOILER, NOT REALLY THOUGH.......

Ok, so I may be wrong, but I don't think the classic HP movie song is in there anywhere... the song we all think of when we think of an HP movie.  I know it's been tweaked a bit for each movie (which I like), but it's always recognizable.  This time, it seems to have been tweaked too much or something.  My sister pointed it out, and I could only agree with her, though my girlfriend disagrees.  What do you think?

END SPOILER!

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

I think you are right about the song - I don't remember it being anywhere in the movie.

I am curious how the next movie will open with the elimination of the Fleur/engagement/wedding storyline from this film.

All in all, I really liked this film.  The infusion of humor was a nice contrast to the dark ending we knew would occur. 
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »

Just went to see it again yesterday. I am just so mad at how different the movie is when compared to the book! I don't understand why they did that?

I was also confused about Dumbledore's wand. Isn't Snape supposed to have it? Or am I mistaken? Haven't gotten that far in re-reading the book...

And the music really hurt it a lot for me. I miss the classic HP music :(

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »

I wonder if the change in music is due to the director - I can't remember the music from Order of the Phoenix to compare.

I agree - I really liked the movie until I realized what I had been cut.  I can't imagine how the last book can be stretched into 2 movies with so much of the story that was set forth in this book being cut.  Maybe some of the story will be inserted into the last 2 movies, but I am skeptical. 

While the return of Quidditch was fun, I could have used less Quidditch and more of the necessary story.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

I think the music might be from the change in director, although I'm not sure.  Not a huge guru of that stuff (I didn't even know of the directory change until a coworker told me).  My coworker told me there was a change in the guy in charge of music but that the guy who used to do it is coming back for the last 2 movies :)

I'm just so used to seeing Hogsmeade and Hogwarts opening up with bright lights and a nice atmosphere and the classic HP music - I know this is a much darker film (supposed to be), and that's fine - but there were still the bright moments, and those moments would have been better with the old music.

Totally unsure why they changed stuff in the movie.  For example - why is it that Luna finds Harry on the train?  Why not Tonks, as it is in the book?  What the heck does that change accomplish?  Why change stuff like that?  And what's with the burning of the house?  Never happens in book 6!  What are they playing at, making serious plot modifications...

They also RUINED the end of the movie - where is the battle that is supposed to happen at the end?  Why does Dumbledore fall off of a tower? What is going on!? This is not the book that I read!

I don't know, I understand the concept of trying to make some changes in the movie to "switch it up" from the books - but I guess I just don't agree with it.  Don't call something "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince," if it's not really "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince."  Know what I mean?

None of the movies are perfect, and I did LOVE movie 6 - don't get me wrong!  But I feel like the 5th movie did a LOT better (and all of the previous movies, for that matter) of sticking to the story that is shown in the book.  To me, movie 6 makes the greatest departure from the book that we have seen yet, and it's something that I'm not thrilled about.

All of that aside, the acting was great, filming was superb... It was a wonderful movie - it's just the plot that they gave us that I was unhappy about.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »

Anyone got any comments on the clothing?  Did you like it?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »

Okay, so, I finally saw it, without re-reading the book, and it hit the points I remember, so it's all good.

I thought the music started out with the opening. I know it had the little tinkly .. uh ... thing. But I didn't really notice after. I love music, but when watching something, I normally just tune it out.

I thought Dumbledore fell in the book, too?

I don't remember any big fight, though a friend of mine pointed out that lack, as well. Personally, the important part was Harry and Snape, and I felt they got that a bit wrong, since Harry wasn't saying enough, I thought. In the book, it seemed quite clear to me that Snape reacted strongest to being called a coward, but that didn't seem to come across as much in the movie.

On the whole, though, I just really enjoyed it. It's time to go back and re-read the books, but it might be first time to clean my room and see if I can't find my missing books.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »

I recall the HP theme in the very beginning of the movie but not all the way through.  Yes, Dumbledore fell off the tower in the book, too. 

Sirius, I actually liked the burning of the house scene.  I thought it accomplished a good purpose:  gave the sense of foreboding and gathering darkness/danger that, in the book, is accomplished with narrative but can't be captured in a movie as well.  The house-burning scene communicated that the stakes were serious and they're not safe.  I didn't consider that a serious plot modification.  I considered that an addition that captured the sense of the book and so, therefore, a good move. 

But on the whole, I agree with Ping - the movie hits the major points of the book, so that works for me.   
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Xylifrost

• First-year Student
  • ground control
    • View Profile
    • Commercial hovercrafts for sale in the US
Movie 6 Discussion
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »

Well there was apparently a begining sequence for the movie? That was one of the first results when you searched for ALIEN 5. It was acalled Landing Sequence or something simmilar to that.
For good luxury cars rental in New York City check out my personal web page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up