Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seventh film split  (Read 156 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Seventh film split
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:43:25 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7293513.stm

"The seventh and final Harry Potter book will be adapted for the big screen in two parts, Warner Bros has confirmed."

I'm actually not pleased with this. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff to put in, but dude, if they'd not excised some of the important stuff from the first films, it wouldn't be such a scramble! And how on earth do you make it two complete stories? It's going to just have some lame cliff-hanger ending none of the fans will care about because they've all read the book already.

Um...imo, of course. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Re: Seventh film split
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:25:17 PM »

Preach on.  I would rather have seen Goblet of Fire broken into 2 movies than Deathly Hallows.  I am convinced WB doesn't want to let the Harry Potter cash cow go, and that is the only reason the movie is being broken into 2 parts.  Actually, while I liked Deathly Hallows, I found it to drag in places more than the other books.  Don't get me wrong, I will go see both movies and buy the DVDs.  However, I wish more detail had been included in the earlier movies when the mystery surrounding the end of the series still swirled in the air.  Now that the ending is known, I don't see where 2 detailed movies are nec.  UNLESS, dare I to dream, JKR writes an expanded prologue giving more detail about what happens in the future for our favorite trio.  That, I would enjoy.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »

I agree with you both.  I would certainly have preferred seeing GoF split into two than DH.  I, too, will probably watch both movies (though I won't buy the DVDs - I haven't liked the films in general enough to buy any of them), thereby supporting the cash cow.  However, I have a hard time seeing where they will split it without creating a whole new plot line that has a clear ending somewhere in the midst of all the other plots.  And, of course, if you do that, then that new plot line would have to take enough precedence over the "real" plot in order to make it have a meaningful ending.

Heather, I have to say that I don't think even an expanded prologue/epilogue would be enough to warrant a second movie unless, again, it became a whoel subplot unto itself.  But that's just IMO.  I thoroughly think that the story has been wound up so tightly that trying to add much more, even to the prologue or epilogue, would ruin some of what I find to be the beauty of book 7:  that every detail fits, that each piece has a place and a final resting place. 

So, if you couldn't already tell, I'm opposed to the idea.  I think it's an unfortunate choice, but that won't prevent me from watching to see exactly how they did it.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »

Call me simple... but... 2 movies = more time = more HP =  :)

So, I don't mind at all.  Make it 7 movies and let me relish in all of its HP-goodness...!

Permlessgirl

• Ravenclaw
  • Prefect
  • Fourth-year Student
  • "S'up Figgy?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:44:56 AM »

I'm sort of conflicted.

I really enjoyed Deathly Hallows, but I do wish they'd just been wiser and split up one of the other books (with heavier, more exciting content).

However, maybe in splitting it up they'll give more film time to some of those really beautifully written chapters nearer to the end of DH. I doubt they'd want to rush through any of Harry's big moments! That could be nice if it was well done.
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,"
Pages: [1]   Go Up