Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deathly Hallows Movie  (Read 139 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Deathly Hallows Movie
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »

IMDB.com is reporting that the book will likely be made into 2 movies!   ;D

Here is what is being reported

Harry Potter Finale To Be Split Into Two Movies?
The last installment in the Harry Potter movie franchise may be released in two parts - because one edit of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows could leave out too much information about the boy wizard's final adventures. The sixth film in the series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is due for release in November, and although the characters' futures are wrapped up in just seven novels by author J.K. Rowling, fans of the movies will be given an extra treat with a double dose of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. A source says, "There's so much to fit that the view is the last movie should be in two halves. There is a huge battle when Harry, played by Daniel Radcliffe, takes on (evil wizard, Lord) Voldemort (played by Ralph Fiennes) that needs to be done really well." And Rowling has briefly commented on the reports herself, stating on her website: "It is simply impossible to incorporate every storyline into a film under four hours long." Fans of the books have previously criticized the big-screen adaptations for their lack of detail.

Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: Deathly Hallows Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »

Odd. I mean, while yeah, the lack of detail is annoying, it's a movie, not a book. It's an adaptation, not a faithful reproduction. It might be a long movie, but they could still do it. IMO, of course. I mostly just don't want to watch quite as much of the trio being lost and lonely and afraid as I read. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

I'm with you, Ping.  While I agree that there's a lot in the books, I still think that DH could be done well as one movie; it's certainly shorter than several of the books that have been made into movies (OOP, anyone?).  On the other hand, none of the movies have been done really well, IMO, so maybe that's just how it goes. 

I have a hard time seeing how to break up DH into two parts in a way that makes both parts totally sustainable as independent narratives.  I would be for them just making it into one longer movie.  It's not like people won't watch it anyway.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

Maybe I am the cynic, but I think breaking the movie into 2 parts is a way of milking the cash cow that is the Harry Potter series.  I think detail in the earlier movies was more important to set up the conclusion; however, once they are at the end - the end of the story is not as hard to tell.  I am worried that the battle scenes will mirror the Quidditch matches - lots of time to get more popcorn and go to the restroom. 
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »

While I didn't really mind the Two Towers not really being an independent movie, a lot of people did, and it at least had the excuse that the book was separate, even if the story didn't really break there.

I think it's true that there's going to be problems from a lot of the stuff they left out in previous movies and trying to make sure it will make sense considering the gaps, but that's no reason to try and stretch it out to two films.

Of course, IIRC, there's been similar rumors for the previous films as well.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up