Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spoileriffic Review of Deathly Hallows  (Read 241 times)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Spoileriffic Review of Deathly Hallows
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »

Okay, once again, I'm going to go ahead and post a very very early review. It's practically tradition. I stay up all night reading the book at light speed, then come here half-drunk from lack of sleep and tell what I think of it in questionable grammar and sentence structure. Just in case you haven't gotten the gist yet, this is going to contain SPOILERS 2 DA MAXX.

It was very nearly perfect. I'm actually dumbfounded at how much I liked it. I'm definitely going to need a second reading very soon, because there was just SO MUCH. There was SO MUCH in those little 750-plus pages, which, ironically, its shortness is the one of the only things I can complain about. How anyone could fit so many things into so relatively few pages, still mystifies me.

So many deaths... it's hard to believe. And they happen so quickly, especially in the final battle. The only death I caught as it happened, and not as an aftermention, was Fred's. When they said that Tonks, Colin, Lupin had died, I hadn't had any idea. Of course, it was realistic to the tone of the battle, but still quite a nasty shock to read "Oh, by the way, Lupin's dead."

The tone was way way way way way darker than all the rest of the novels combined. I was shocked at certain places that this novel used to be meant for small children. It's hard to imagine a 9-year-old reading them anymore.

Because the action was so fast paced, it was a little hard to follow for me, though I suspect that has a lot to do with staying up 24 hours straight and reading the book as fast as I possibly could.

And I really feel like I have to give a single brief "I told you so." I was right about a lot of things. Which, really, I kind of wish I hadn't been. I expected to be wrong. But I have an immense new respect for JKR. I was a skeptic. I never ever thought she could ever wrap everything up satisfactorily. But I think she pulled it off, guys.

I am happy and tired. It hasn't hit me yet that I just got done with the last first reading of a Harry Potter book. When it does, I will cry. But for right now, I will sleep.

Good luck with your reading adventures. Though I guess if you read this, you've probably already finished.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: Spoileriffic Review of Deathly Hallows
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »

I really liked it, too. I only had a spot or two where I was like, "Okay, we get the point, they're all hiding out and miserable, can we hurry up." On the whole, really, really good. I cried a lot.

Ended with a happy warm glowy feeling.

Can't put much more into thought a review, because, while I've slept 4 hours in the past little while, I haven't eaten much. Hope the chicken gets here soon.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »

Okay, so, had a nap, feel more coherent. (A bit, not totally, mind.)

How does Neville get the sword? Do we know? Last we saw it, it was with a goblin who was likely to not be particularly fond of the idea of giving it up again, right?

Poor George--no ear and no Fred. :(

So, like, she didn't actually say what Ron and Harry do there at the end, right? Like, profession-wise? I'm okay with that, 'cause it's always good to leave the fans something to wonder about. :D

I was a bit confused by all the wand magic explanations, which made the Harry/Voldemort thing a tad confusing, but whatevah. :D

I think the one thing that left me kinda sad is that she left in the Sorting thing. I mean, c'mon, SLYTHERIN! Like, they were all evil but Snape! Even the Malfoys were pretty vicious. Almost an entire house, and nobody thinks that maybe they shoulda done something about it? (I don't totally feel like that, though I know quite a few people who have this problem with the books.) I was never totally comfortable with the segregation that the houses provide, though, and the visual of everyone sitting at the tables, not according to house, but all mixed up, was a great one, and I was kinda hoping she'd keep with it, but then we cut to little Albus not wanting to be a Slytherin.

That's, like, the one thing I wasn't totally satisfied with, though. Everything else--very awesome. I was sniveling like a baby when Harry left to go into the Forest. Very touching, very well done. Those were the only circumstances I could have born to part with Harry Potter, and I was totally okay if that's where he'd died. Glad he didn't have to, though. :)

I'll bet a sizable chunk of young woman-hood who were at the B&N where I got my book last night are going to be very sad about Tonks, though. (There was a disproportionate ratio of bad dye jobs, imo.)

I think Ron's victory over the necklace was really really cool. Like, he was able to conquer his demons and be the winner, and that was awesome.

Poor Snape. I was pretty sure he was good, but it solidified at the point that we found out that one of the horcruxes was at Hogwarts and that Snape was Headmaster.

I was also very impressed by the way she handled Harry's doubts about Dumbledore. She made him very human, which we'd never really seen before, but also gave it relevance to Harry. Just well done.

I don't know if I've said it much, but I think more than one of the books has had issues because it had to span the entire school-year. I was glad this one didn't conform to that, much as I was kinda sad that kids can now say things like, "Harry Potter didn't stay in school, why should I?" :\

The symbol of the Hallows and it's use by Grindelwald made some rather uncomfortable connections with the swastika. The stuff with Griphook was also a little antsy-making. Here Harry has this moment of connection with a different race, but continuing to live with him, he doesn't like him, and it just seems to confirm the dislike. These two things made me a bit .... hesitant, I guess. Kinda wish they'd gone a bit differently.

A couple of the characters in the book have, in my head, taken on aspects of their movie-actor people, but Snape has not been one of them.

JKR had a lot of threads to tie up, and I think she did it really well. (Much better and with a lot less clunkiness than the Heroes season finale, imo.)

Still rambly. :)

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »

Harry looked at his mother.

"Stay close to me," he said quietly.

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL-HAWWWWWWW-AAAAAALLLLLLL.....

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Verkolak

• Slytherin
  • Third-year Student
  • We are better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:14:27 PM »

Wow, I go away for a couple of years and everything on this site changes. I just finished Deathly Hallows an hour ago and decided I had to see what everyone else was saying about it while Tia reads the book. I thought it was great! I do wish Rowling gave us a little bit more in the epilogue, but I still enjoyed it. Ping, to answer you question about Neville and the sword he pulled it out of the sorting hat ala Harry and the Chamber of Secrets. I'll bet that will be a cool scene when they make the last movie...Neville, burning sorting hat, flashing sword... just as long as he doesn't grab it by the blade like one of his classmates I might mention. (Stupid Gryffindors ;))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:16:47 PM by Verkolak »

Betsy Wood

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • good use of french class! non ou oui?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »

i finnished the book yesterday after being the second person, at the walmart i was at, to buy the book. my parents, though, did everything they could do to keep me from reading it. my parents took and hid the book and i had to wait for my mom to get up at 7 am to give it to me. finnaly after that i started reading only for my mom to say we had to go run errands and i could take the book with me. i only got through 3 chapters durring those 4 hours because the book had to stay in the car. we got home and i startedto read again but my mom made me make dinner. i did not finnish the book untill 11 pm. so it took me 16 hours but if you really count when i was reading it was probably only 10 or so.

sorry i got started on that rant and forgot what this was about for a second.....

the book was amazing! i'm just really sad that it is all over.

i had watched a spoiler video back in may and everything that she said would happeddid happed but not the way i expected it to. the whole comming back to life thing was really cool and then the epiloge was totally cool as well. although i know that he gave his kids those names as a sign of honor but it was a bit of over kill.

the part with snapes pensive was really cool too because he found out that snape was following orders when he killed dumbledor in the last book(which i kind of figured)

the thing with the stone and his parents and siruis and lupin was really intreasting as well.

"Why are you telling me?" I like it!That's a good philosophy: "Why are you telling me?"Why are you telling me?""Why are you telling me?"My new philosophyThe teacher gave a "D" on last week's homeworkShe said, "Miss Sally Brown,Your grades are going down."I could havetold her my new philosophy! yeah!

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:50:46 PM »

Ping,

I too was very confused by the whole wand/Harry/Voldemort/Dumbledore/Draco Malfoy thing.  I was also a little confused by the whole baby thing during Harry's venture into the not-quite-afterlife.  I mean, I understand why he didn't die, but I didn't understand who/what the baby was and what it signified.  If anyone has insights, please clue me in.  And did he not die because he had all three of the deathly hallows already or because of the connection to LV or both?  Or neither?  And if LV didn't really have the Elder Wand, why did killing Snape make that wand work?  Explain, please.

Interesting thing to me:  everyone who said Harry was a horcrux was right AND everyone who said Harry couldn't be because she wouldn't kill him off in the end was also right.  She found some way to make it all work.

Same with regard to Snape -- she found a way to make Dumbledore's death make sense, victorious, even.  What a sad and heroic ending for Snape.  Vindicated only after his death.  I also thought the whole namesake thing at the very end was a little overkill, but I was touched that Harry -- of all people -- named one of his children after Snape.

Tons of questions answered.  Tons, really.  An amazing wrap up to an amazing story.  Like everyone above me, I doubted she could really get it all done in one book and make it a satisfying end, but she did it.

Very sad about Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Colin, and Dobby.  I think I was saddest about Dobby and Colin, actually, because they really were fighting out of pure loyalty to Harry, unlike Fred, Lupin and Tonks who had more of a sense of the bigger picture.  I felt bad for little Teddy who would never know his parents.  Anyone know who raises him?  Tonks' mother? 

I liked that, in the end, Harry's quest was not to gain the Deathly Hallows but to destroy LV.  I was worried about his obsession but was hopeful that he wouldn't do anything stupid about it. 

I was glad to see that Narcissa at least had more love than fear and anger in her.  She just as much as anyone else enabled Harry to do what he did by covering for him.  You could see even in book 6 that she wasn't sure she wanted to buy into all that the dark Lord had to offer.

One little loose end that I really liked having tied up:  the taboo of LV's name.  It now makes sense why everyone was so skittish about his name.  It brought him and his death eaters to your door in an instant.  No wonder his name was so powerful!

Didn't expect all that stuff about Dumbledore and his past.  Funny, just like Harry, I've never really wondered about Dumbledore's past.  I always assumed he came fully grown, as JKR said.  What a sad history.  I was glad we finally got a chance to talk with Aberforth.  Despite his anger at his brother, he was a good guy and was on the right side.  Wonder how he got the mirror.

I was tense through the whole book.  It was dark and nerve-racking the entire way through.  I found myself getting jumpy while reading it.  I got so nervous that, about 1/3 of the way through, I flipped to the end just to assure myself that the threesome (+ Ginny) survived.

More thoughts once I've reread it, which will take a bit longer.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »

When I saw the baby-thing in Harry's "afterlife," I thought it symbolized the bit of Harry that was Voldemort's horcrux. Since Harry was made a horcrux in his infancy, the horcrux was visually represented by a doomed, hurt, infant inside Harry's soul, so to speak, that had to perish for Harry's soul to emerge pure and horcrux-free.

And I was a little confused as to how he didn't die, also, but a friend suggested to me that it was because Voldemort was still immortal at the time, and his connection with Harry (through the horcrux) made it so Harry shared that trait of immortality. Neither can live while the other survives, I guess... but I don't entirely get it. I'm going to reread it soon.

I think that the Elder Wand worked the same before LV killed Snape as it did afterward: i.e. as a regular wand. I think that anyone could use it as a regular wand, but only its "rightful owner" could harness its full power. What I didn't get was how Draco became the rightful owner when it was Snape who killed Dumbledore. I guess it must have to do with the fact that even though he killed Dumbles, he didn't "defeat" him, because he did what was asked of him.

One question I had that, as far as I remember, never got answered, was the matter of what James and Lily did for a living. It seems to me that JKR would never tell us because it was somehow important to the story, but the book ended and she never told. Same with Harry's green eyes, save for a brief mention in the "Prince's Tale" chapter.

I was, like Ping, so so glad that JKR decided to give some background on Dumbledore. Forgive me for saying so, but up until this book, he seemed almost Godlike, and I was really glad that there was a bit of humanity and humility added to his character in this last book.

Soon after I posted last, it actually DID hit me that there'll be no more Harry. I actually had a couple hours where I was feeling like "Wow... now what am I going to do with myself?" It was very strange. Still is strange, to think that it's actually done. There's (almost) nothing left to speculate about. The Harry Potter rumors will fade away from the internet. I'll never scour books 1-6 again, looking for clues as to what happens next. I'll never be able to argue over Crazy Theory X again. It's... weird.

Still working on getting all my thoughts into one, coherent, comprehensive review. It might take me a while, but I promise you'll see one.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »

I believe the baby was LV's soul. In GoF, he was a wriggly, ugly infant-like thing. I think what we saw at King's Crossing were their souls. LV was there because he's been on the brink of death and "crossing over" for a good long while.

For the wands, I believe in book 6 Draco disarms Dumbledore before he fails to kill him, so he earned the wand then. I haven't had a chance to go back and check this, though.

And yeah, I think Teddy was raised by his grandmother, since it didn't sound like he'd ever lived with Harry and Ginny.

As for why Harry didn't die... I think it was because of the fact that LV had some of Harry's blood. Not just the protection from his mother, but that link. You have to really mean a killing curse, and Harry wouldn't want to kill someone who was willingly sacrificing themselves for their friends. I think, anyway. Probably lots more to it than that, though, like the sacrifice he was making allowing him to choose not to die.

I didn't skip to the end, because I'd kind of come to terms with the fact that Harry might die, so I just didn't want to know. But then, I think there was only one book in my whole life that I skipped to the end on. :)

A friend of mine was annoyed that the Malfoy's survived, but I think they proved, especially Narcissa, that they would in the end let their love beat out the rest of it, and I think that's how they "earned" it. Still...Scorpius...*shakes head sadly*

One Ping Only

Penelope Clearwater

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 03:58:03 AM »

Just finished reading the book. I know I am late but I managed to get hold of the e-book so I don't have to wait for my order from Amazon anymore :)

What an amazing end to an amazing series!

This bit in the second last chapter made me laugh out loud:

<i>We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter’s the one,
And Voldy’s gone moldy, so now let’s have fun!</i>

Correct me if I am wrong but Rowling never ever called Voldermort Voldy right? She used it because she was amused (disturbed?) to see HP fans calling LV Voldy right? If so, it's such a nice touch in the last book to include that nickname..hehehe...and who better to use the name than Peeves huh?  ;)

Penelope Clearwater

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:01:31 AM »

By the way, Neville pulled the Gryffindor sword out ofthe Sorting Hat when LV put the hat on him, the same way Harry pulled the sword out in Chambers of Secret.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 10:30:31 AM »

Did anyone see an article on the books that had missing pages?  Here's one from Forbes.com:

ATLANTA - It was a nasty vanishing act that would have made Lord Voldemort proud.

Harry Potter charmed millions of readers this weekend, but the spell was broken at least briefly for some fans when they found pages missing from their precious copies of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

The book's publisher, Scholastic (nasdaq: SCHL - news - people ) Inc., says a few hundred of the 12 million copies of the book are reported to have pages missing. The gaps have left hardcore Potterphiles rushing to stores to exchange them - or filing them away as mementos of the book's epic release.

Leanne Greer, 36, had gone on "lock down" - no television, radio or Internet - after buying her copy of "Deathly Hallows" at about 7 a.m. on Saturday. She said she finished reading page 306, then discovered the next 33 pages of the book were missing.

"I just kind of freaked out," said Greer, a Purdue University graduate with degrees in elementary education and English. "My husband said, 'Why are you screaming?' He said 'I thought one of the kids was hurt.'"

Luckily for Greer, she had a backup for her store-bought copy; she had ordered another copy online.

"I'm just that psychotic about it," she said.

She tore open the package that arrived in the mail and kept reading.

Officials at Scholastic said that with such a massive printing - 8.3 million copies of the final installment of J.K. Rowling's fantasy series sold in the first 24 hours - a handful of problems was probably unavoidable.

"Printing and distributing 12 million copies of a book is a Herculean task, and it is not surprising that some books would have printing errors," Scholastic spokeswoman Sara Sinek said in a statement.

She said that as of Tuesday, the company had only heard of "a few hundred" instances of books with missing pages.

Sinek said Scholastic is happy to replace any book with a defect and advised customers to take defective books back to the place where they were purchased.

Not going to happen, said Mary Hunt, a mother of two from upstate New York who was vacationing in Philadelphia when she found the book she bought at midnight Friday was missing pages 19-50.

"Oh, no way!" she said. "I have it and I've got it safely in its dust jacket inside one of those cloth book covers.

"It's too cool - it's fun to have something people are talking about."

At least some would-be Potter entrepreneurs agree.

By Tuesday morning, several copies of the misprinted books were being offered for sale on the online auction site eBay (nasdaq: EBAY - news - people ), with opening bids as high as $30. The book has a list price of $34.99, but many retailers offered discounts of 40 percent or more.

Keeping the book was a luxury for Hunt. She'd gotten three copies and was able to swap with her fast-reading daughter early Saturday morning.

"If I had been sitting there alone with only one copy, I would have gone back to the store and screamed," she said.

Greer is keeping hers as well.

"I don't know who would buy it, but maybe when some of these crazy kids grow up, they'll want to have something like that," she said.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up