Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogwarts Comes To TN!  (Read 247 times)

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
Hogwarts Comes To TN!
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:32 AM »

Lumos 2006 has put idears in my head.

I'm in the process of creating a massive HP fanparty, right here in TN.  I have an entire building for my use, which I plan to transform into a miniature Hogwarts, and several fans willing to help out.

I'll be reporting my progress here in Madame Malkin's.

Right now I'm trying out some recipes myself (yum!) and brainstorming.

Feel free to post helpful hints, party ideas, and invitation begging ;)

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
Re: Hogwarts Comes To TN!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:18:42 AM »

Classrooms:

I haven't decided yet whether to put each classroom in a different room.  For one, that seems an enormous waste of space, esp. since I'm not sure how many people will show up (in addition to close friends, of course.  An RSVP system might help, but as in this area of the globe most of my invitees will be small children + parents I doubt that would work).

One possibility:  using one v. large room for all Classes, and having a separate spot (a la "Science Fair") for each "class".

Potions:  A few easy, safe experiments left over from school Chemistry.  I still have my old notebooks.

Transfiguration:  I dunno, I might be able to do a little Blue Mirror magic here?  I'll explain further in a later post.

Arithmancy:  As I'm terrible at maths I'll have a scholarly-type friend give me a few "magic numbers" tricks.... like the one David Copperfield did where you pick a random number and he tells you which one you picked?

Divination:  A crystal ball is easy to fake.  Ditto a volunteer dressed up like a gypsy.  Or maybe I'll have little fortunes that people draw out of a hat.

Astronomy:  I would LOVE to have this in a tower, but maybe I'll just put it near a window, beg/borrow a telescope, and surround said telescope with a "turret" so that it looks like it's in a small tower.

Charms:  Again, looking to the old Chem notebooks for inspiration.  There are ways to make things levitate (albiet briefly), and maybe my fellow Hogsmeadians can come up with more?

History of Magic:  A few posters and pictures ought to do it.  I'll make sure to have a drawing of the ghostly Prof. Binns with a wooden pointer as well.

Muggle Studies:  I could have a lot of fun with this one.  What should I include?

Herbology:  I actually own several Venus Flytraps.

Care of Magical Creatures:  I can't decide whether to have real animals or not.  Would that be too cruel?  Maybe some worms.

Defence Against The Dark Arts:  I'm clueless about this one.

DECOR: 

Books re-covered with new titles (Miranda Goshawk, Gilderoy Lockhart, etc.)

Plastic toy animals "pickled" in jars of water

Bubbling cauldrons (dry ice + water)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »

Sounds like a ton of fun, and it's actually close enough I could get there without too much stress. Wooo!

I'll post a few ideas once some occur to me. :D
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:27 PM »

I also thought of making house "badges" on strings, something you could wear around your neck, that looks pretty but isn't too expensive.  I've got a Sorting Hat made from an old jacket (looks pretty creepy, but effective), and I'll have a recording (the voice of the Hat in the movies) saying what House each person is in, and why (bravery, intelligence, etc.)

I have this other great idea, and I don't know what to do with it!! 

Everyone draws a nice thick piece of paper with something written/drawn/painted on in lemon juice, then holds it over an electric candle, the kind you sometimes see in windows at Christmas.  There's an incantation from it from somewhere in the books -- "APARECIUM" -- that reveals invisible ink.  Sweeeeet!

Maybe the paper will have a short history of the House they got into?

Note:  I finally tried the Butterbeer recipe from Mugglenet.com, and it was NASTY!  No offense to the originator -- I'm sure he/she thought it was a great idea, and it does SOUND good -- but it tasted like, well, like drinking butter.  Syrupy, carbonated butter.

I'm experimenting with new recipes now:  Cockroach Clusters, Mulled Mead, Pumpkin Pasties, Elderflower Wine, and Deviled Dragon's Eggs.  Does anyone remember that recipe for Cauldron Cakes or Rock Cakes or whatever it was that Heather found for the first Triwizard Tournament?

(This'll be around Halloween, I suspect, so I've got some time.)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »

Wish I could come, but Tennesee is quite far away from Bellingham, WA, which is where I'll be in fall. It sounds like a blast, though. Take lots of pictures so I can at least experience it vicariously!

And as for the lemon juice thing, you should do it like a Marauder's Map, with a map of the building that remains hidden until the viewer says "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," and holds it over a candle. ^_^

Also, I don't know how weird you want to get, but I heard this great trick for Halloween parties. Take a clean rubber glove, fill it with water, and stick it in the freezer. Then, rip the glove off and you have an ice hand. If some of the fingers break off (as they're likely to do) just drop a bit of red food coloring on the stubs and you have a bloody ice-hand.

Muggle Studies: How about a TV with an infomercial on loop? A department store mannequin? Scientific looking pictures of toaster ovens, microwaves, blenders, and coffee makers?

Defense: Get one of those toys that never stop moving, like a train or a robot dog or something. Stick it in a cardboard box and say it's a boggart. Better yet, make it a Furby and tell the guests that it's their worst fear in there.

That's all I got for now. Unless you want to dress some little kid up like a house elf and make 'em run around with a tray of Hors D'oeuvres.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:48:41 PM »

I am close - I could drive up and try to bring several HP fans (Carolyn - you in???)
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:53:14 AM »

SeaShel, I love all your ideas -- esp. that one about the Muggle Studies.  If only I can get a mannequin....

My (quote-unquote) "real" email address is sweetalker-at-gmail.com, just replace the -at- with @ [ha ha ha Spambots, you can't touch me!]  Looks like Halloween might be a problem, but this is definitely going to happen somehow.  Maybe when we get a strong date on when Book 7 is coming out...?  I'll keep a running commentary here, when I can.

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »

Bleh!

Once again, work interferes with the quote-unquote "real world".  Hate it when that happens.

Anywhoo...

Since the book will be out 21 July, and since most kiddies will be out of school then and willing to drag their parents....

Now all I need is a charity to donate the profits (NOT proceeds, cuz I want to break even on this gig) to.

You-all have NO IDEA how much work and research and planning has been done on this.  I, a sleeping member of Hogsmeade US, have been a busy busy lil bee.

I'm still open to ideas!  Is coming to eastern Tennessee in July a possibility?

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

Actually, I will be in Blountsville in July.

--Heather
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »

So, I'm going to be moving in the next few weeks, so probably no TN for me in July. I will, however, be in Nashville the beginning of October for work... :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »

I'll be in trial in July when the book comes out.  Sounds fun, though.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up