News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.A.B.  (Read 196 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
R.A.B.
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »

I was sure there was a thread discussing the possible identity of R.A.B.; I know that discussion has occurred.  However, I must be going blind because I could not find it.  With the new book approaching, I thought we may want to throw our theories about as to who it could be.  I am sure it will be revealed in the last book.

Regulus Black is the obvious choice, so therefore, I am concluding it is not him.  However, I am baffled as to who it could be.  Other key wizarding families with surnames beginning with B are:

Bones
Bagman (I think we can ignore this one)
Bell (Katie Bell from the Quidditch team)
Bulstrode
Borgin
Bourke

None of these excite me too much.  So, how about this - what if R.A.B. is not a person - we are assuming that the letters are initials. What if they are something else (not sure what, but maybe we are looking at the wrong thing)
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: R.A.B.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »

It could be three people whose first names begin with R A and B. In which case, the A should be Aberforth. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »

RAB could also stand for some organization (kind of like OOP or DA).  Not totally sure what that organization would be, though.  Really-good-guys Against Bad-guys...?  Heh...
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:19:02 PM »

Here's something interesting I read on this when Google-ing Regulus Black:

The search for R.A.B.
Near the end of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Dumbledore attempts to recover a locket believed to be a Horcrux created by Voldemort. Instead, he finds a different locket containing a message signed with the initials R.A.B. Some have interpreted this as Regulus A. Black. Rowling was asked in an interview whether Regulus was R.A.B., and called this theory "a fine guess". However, she did not intend her reply either to confirm or deny the guess.

Support for the theory that Regulus Black is R.A.B. has been gathered from the translation of Half-Blood Prince to other languages. In the Dutch translation of the novel, Regulus Black is called Regulus Zwarts and the initials in the locket are R.A.Z. In the Norwegian edition, Regulus Black is called Regulus Svaart, and the initials R.A.S. are in the locket, while in the Finnish translation, Regulus Black is called Regulus Musta, and the initials are R.A.M. These make the theory that R.A.B. is Sirius's brother quite plausible.

To read the article, go to http://www.regulusblack.com

This would certainly lend support to the idea that it's Regulus Black it seems to me.  So I'm going to say that, despite Regulus being the most obvious choice, I think he is actually the one who stole the locket.  Here's the thing I'm curious about:  how would RAB (whoever s/he is) have found out about the horcruxes in the first place?  It seems to me that it has to have been an accident (like he eavesdropped on LV talking to someone or he accidentally witnessed LV doing it) because I can't imagine RAB was in LV's confidences enough for LV to reveal that he'd split his soul into 7 parts and where each part was kept.  According to Dumbledore, Lucius didn't know that the diary he held on to contained a piece of LV's soul.  Particularly if RAB is Regulus, we know that Regulus wasn't important enough for LV himself to kill.  So I'm sure he was never meant to know about the horcruxes.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »

The translations of the book can provide interesting clues, that's for sure.

I still want it to be one of Burke and Borgins.

To the Dark Lord, I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. R.A.B. (HBP pg. 609/569)

This note seems like a very refined style. Sirius is pretty casual, and it just doesn't seem that Regulus would depart so far from that, though I suppose it could just be another sign of Sirius's rebellion.

Something in support of it being on of B&B is that they know a LOT about the Dark Arts, and they might know this little bit of esoteric magic that nobody else seems to know about.

It would also explain the reaction of whichever one it was to Lucius--scared but also contemptuous.

*sigh* It'll probably be Regulus, but I WANT it to be someone else. :)

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »

I'm still secretly hoping for R. Amelia Bones, but that's just me.   ;D

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 10:13:12 AM »

I was actually wondering along those lines, Susan. Every speculated RAB is male, but surely it's possible it's a woman. We need gender equality! It could be "Really Angry Barbara."

Or not...

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

Could RAB be initials for something, as opposed to someone?  Maybe a phrase?
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 08:01:58 AM »

It could be, except that, as Ping pointed out above, the note is written in the first person, which leads one to think that, well, it's a person.

Do you have any phrase/thing in mind in particular, Heather?
Pages: [1]   Go Up