Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Due Date  (Read 184 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Due Date
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:25:10 AM »

The book is scheduled to be out July 21st. I'm excited and sad at the same time. I mean, the last Harry Potter book. Ever.  :o
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Alatáriël Narmolanya

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • the tribe season4
    • View Profile
Re: Due Date
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »

this is going to be a sad day! i still cannont wait!
look into the future what do you see, i really need to know now is there a place for me. if we're gonna serve out the dreams of stayn' alive

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »

How does the book release date stack up against the release for the OoP movie?  I am a little disappointed - I had hoped book 7 would be released on 07/07/07 :)
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:50 AM »

Yeah, but they said that releasing it on the anniversary of the London bombings may have been disrespectful to the memory of that day. What I find ironic is that they released it instead on the anniversary of the next attempted London bombing. From Wikipedia:

July 21, 2005 - Four terrorist bombings, occurring exactly two weeks after the similar July 7 bombings, target London's public transportation system. All four bombs fail to detonate and all four suspected suicide bombers escape.

I've been looking for important events that took place on July 21. I heard a rumor that it was exactly 10 years ago that date that Philosopher's Stone came out in Britain, but it wasn't true. The only somewhat relevant think I can find is that it's the actor who plays Crabbe's 18th birthday. It was also the day Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, the day Blair became leader of the Labour Party, and the day the first Lord of the Rings novel was published.

It's also interesting to me that they did choose to do it so close to the movie release date. I was speculating for a July 31st release date, but all of my friends told me there was no way they'd do the two releases that close to each other, because it was a bad marketing move. Now I get to say "I told you so." I think they must be doing it in an attempt to create a frenzy of sorts - every single person in the world will be thinking of nothing but Harry Potter in those few days, and if the movie does well, it will boost sales of the book. Not that it needs it - it's already the top selling book on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Anywho... blah blah blah, I'm rambling. :D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »

Problem is, they already tried that frenzy approach, and IIRC, it kind of backfired. The only benefit to this approach that I can see is to give people a couple of weeks to see the movie. Then the book comes out. Then, after they finish reading it and begin the mourning process--hey, there's a movie! At least we can console ourselves with that!

If this weren't the last book in the series, I would say this was dumb, but because there will be no more, well, bring it on. :)

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »

I'm with you, Shelly.  I was gunning for a July 31 release date as well.  It just seemed so fitting for the last book to come out on Harry's last birthday that we get to spend with him. 

Ah well.  I won't complain about the book coming out 10 days earlier....
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »

I'm excited for it to come out.  I would pre-order my book but I just go to Sam's Club (Devil World) to purchase it.  I bring in cash, go to the pallets of books pick one up, go check out, get my hot dog and unusually large drink go home and start reading. 

I'm hoping this year to finish it before the week starts.  I'll be in my extern by then and so who knows what my schedule is going to be like.  I could buy the book and not pick it up for another month.  That would be sad.

Anyway I like it when the books are released on a Saturday because then I have the weekend to read.  I just find it amusing when people tell me to order now or I won't be getting one.  Have they been to a Sam's club? Do they know how much they have there? They have pallets upon pallets of it.  Because they don't like to run out of anything. Usually by the time I get there around 11:30 or so the pallet is still to my waist and I'm only 5'2".
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 01:38:10 PM »

I decided to stick with the status quo this year and pre-order the book in addition to going to a midnight party. I like to try and finish the whole thing in one chunk before dawn so I don't have to stay off the internet for very long. I got the deluxe edition off Amazon. I don't know what that means but they combined "Deluxe" with "Harry Potter Book" and got my attention. Once I finish the one I get from the store, I'll give it to my sister and keep the deluxe one for myself. Muahah.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »

So how do I plan the party I'm having?  The day before the release is what I'm thinking, then let everyone go to the midnight party at Barnes & Noble.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 12:03:14 AM »

That sounds like a good plan. Some bookstores have parties for the launch, since they know they're going to be up anyway, I guess. :)

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up