Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two funerals, two weddings, and a reprieve  (Read 233 times)

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
Two funerals, two weddings, and a reprieve
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »

Heather, I thought this deserved its own thread:

This article, entitled "Rowling to kill two in final HP book" was just posted on Yahoo! -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/people_nm/arts_potter_plot_dc_3

The article focuses on the release date for OoP.  Who will the two unlucky souls be?

Any guesses?  Two deaths, and two weddings (mentioned in a JKR interview somewhere around Book 4).  Plus, a "reprieve" was mentioned in the last brief interview JKR did at a charity reading with Stephen King and John Irving (I would've died happy, if I just could've gone to that event).  She says one character that she had planned on killing off turned out to be needed, or something like that.

I know, I know, I need to cite references...... *sigh*

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
Re: Two funerals, two weddings, and a reprieve
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:11:19 AM »

OK, here's the article I found about the Reprieve:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Two of America's top authors, John Irving and Stephen King, made a plea to J.K. Rowling on Tuesday not to kill the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter in the final book of the series, but Rowling made no promises.

"My fingers are crossed for Harry," Irving said at a joint news conference before a charity reading by the three writers at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The author of "The World According to Garp" and a string of other bestsellers said he and King felt like "warm-up bands" for Rowling, who is working on the seventh and last book in the Harry Potter series, and who has said two characters will die.

King, who shot to fame in 1974 with "Carrie," said he had confidence that Rowling would be "fair" to her hero.

"I don't want him to go over the Reichenbach Falls," King said in a reference to Arthur Conan Doyle's effort to kill off the character of fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Pressure from fans eventually led Conan Doyle to resurrect Holmes, who was found in a later story to have survived.

Rowling, a Briton whose books have sold 300 million copies worldwide according to her publishers, said she was well into the process of writing the final book.

"I feel quite liberated," she said.

"I can resolve the story now and it's fun in a way it wasn't before because finally I've reached my resolution, and I think some people will loathe it and some people will love it, but that's how it should be."

"We're working toward the end I always planned but a couple of characters I expected to survive have died and one character got a reprieve," she said, declining to elaborate.

Asked about the wisdom of killing off fictional characters, Rowling said she didn't enjoy killing the major character who died in book six -- for the sake of those who haven't read it yet she avoided naming the victim -- but she said the conventions of the genre demanded the hero go on alone.

"I understand why an author would kill a character from the point of view of not allowing others to continue writing after the original author is dead," she added, leaving the door open to the worst fears of some fans -- that Harry could die.

King recalled that when he had a character kick a dog to death in his novel "Dead Zone" he received more letters of complaint than ever, to his surprise.

"You want to be nice and say 'I'm sorry you didn't like that,' but I'm thinking to myself number one, he was a dog not a person, and number two, the dog wasn't even real," he said.

"I made that dog up, it was a fake dog, it was a fictional dog, but people get very, very involved," King said.

Rowling noted that Irving had killed off many more characters than she had.

"When fans accuse me of sadism, which doesn't happen that often, I feel I'm toughening them up to go on and read John and Stephen's books," she said. "I think they've got to be toughened up somehow. It's a cruel literary world out there."

I can't find the other, and sadly the original article Heather mentioned is unavailable (dead link?).

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 11:29:09 PM »

Oops!  Sorry, I JUST posted pretty much the same thing (same article) in another topic -- sorry I'm off to delete that post now!

PS -- Is the reprieve for a character who was SUPPOSED to die but she decided to let live, or a character who is temporarily brought back or something?  Is it even possible to be the second, or no?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

I'm guessing it was the first. That was my impression, anyway.

Two weddings could be Bill/Fleur and Ron/Hermione. Or Tonks/Lupin. :D (I'm avoid stating the obvious here.) :)

Two funerals could be Harry and LV. *eg*
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:59:17 AM »

I'm guessing the weddings will be Bill/Fleur and either Tonks/Lupin or Hagrid/Maxime.

I thought sure Bill would take a bullet before the end of the series, but now that he's disfigured, I'm positive he'll survive to the end.

We haven't seen nearly enough of Hagrid since Book 3.  I think he might be on the chopping block (then again, I thought that he would be the one to go in Book 5, and I was soooo wrong).

The reprieve?  I can easily see JKR bringing back Sirius for one last victorious moment before the big finale, but I don't think it's going to be a "coming back from the dead" moment -- more like the experience Harry had with the dementors in Book 3, when he thought his father was communicating with him (but it was really his future self projecting a stag Patronus).  Something like a "he's not really gone, part of him is inside you".  Personally, I hope Sirus's mirror is involved.

The reprieve may have been Harry -- who knows?

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:07:09 AM »

I think Hagrid's got to go because he's Harry's last adult friend left. He was the first to come, and he'll be the last to go.

I somehow doubt the repreive was Harry. I vaguely remember JKR saying something like "The character that got a reprieve was needed later on."

I don't know if Harry will die, but I must admit, I find it more likely than many other people do.

I should probably talk about this when I'm more awake.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 05:18:18 AM »

It just hit me.  I hate to say it, but the reprieve will probably be Dumbledore.  I really, really hope not -- I hope JKR would be more clever than that -- but I think she's returning somewhat to her root of the series, when HP was still "a kid's book".  She's pandering to her audience and leaving us mature readers in the dust.

Grrrrr!

It's so, so obvious that the Headmaster is coming back.  That's pretty much a given.  We've been given enough clues to that effect in Book 6; we really don't need them in an interview.  But I was hoping, upon hearing the word "reprieve", that it would be Sirius, or Harry's parents, but no.  I don't think it will be.  Heck, if it was a death that was *supposed* to happen in Book 7 and just didn't get written in, we may never know who got the reprieve.

It's the same as if (right before Book 5) JKR started hinting, really big, that Arabella Figg was a witch/squib in one of her interviews.  Um, hel-LO, we sorta knew that already.  The cabbage smell and the cats and all that gave it away.  So she didn't hint about it, did she -- she came right out and said it in an interview:  "Yes, Mrs. Figg is of the wizarding world."

Come on!  Her interviews are notoriously elusive and mind-boggling.  To smack us in the face with such an obvious clue (okay, we get it, D. is alive, duh) is an insult.  Please, please, please don't let it be true; let it be someone else entirely that she is talking about.  Please, please don't let that be the big "mystery".

(I'm really going to regret this post in the morning.  Please don't hold it against me.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:20:41 AM by Susan Bones »

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

My impression is that the "reprieve" is NOT for someone who's already died. It's for somebody that she thought she was going to kill in book 7, but when it came to the point of writing it, she didn't have to, or even needed to not kill. I don't at all think it's someone who's already died, like Sirius or Dumbledore.

Susan, I'm interested at how you seem to think she's given us all these clues that the big D isn't dead. Personally, if he isn't dead, I will lose all the respect I have for JKR, because it drives me nuts when authors won't let characters they've killed stay dead, and when they drag you through an emotional ringer for nothing. I have a really, really hard time believing JKR would do that. Especially not for Dumbledore.

From the beginning of the book, the two people Harry wants most to live are his parents. He's never, ever going to get that, and she's made it abundantly clear several times. For someone like Sirius or Dumbledore to survive (and I mean survive, not just talk from beyond the grave, which is what some people seem to think the reprieve means, and with which idea I disagree), it would be a pathetically pale shadow of what Harry has wanted most desperately through the whole series, and it just wouldn't have much of an emotional impact in comparison.

JKR lost her mother, and she knows what losing someone you love is like. She knows about the denial, the wishing it was a dream, or that you could do something to bring them back. She also knows it doesn't work. What she does know is that love survives death, and a part of her mother will always be with her.

Dumbledore not being dead just doesn't fit in with the strength of that at all.

IMNSHO, of course. :D
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 02:25:07 PM »

Dumbledore is definitely, definitely dead. She just said so her in her "Harry, Carrie, and Garp" press conference going on in New York. A little nine year old boy walked up to her tenatively and said "Miss Rowling, how can Dumbledore really be dead?" and she pretty much said it. Dumbledore is not going to pull a Gandalf and he's really really dead.

I think Sirius isn't coming back, either. I think the reprieve is probably someone like McGonagall or something. Someone who she was just going to kill in the heat of battle and changed her mind because they were "needed later."
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

it drives me nuts when authors won't let characters they've killed stay dead

Hear hear, Ping!  I agree with your post 100%.  First of all the definition of a reprieve is "to postpone or cancel the punishment of" or "temporary relief, as from danger or pain."  Bringing someone back from the dead (or having them not really dead to begin with) is not a postponement of anything or a temporary relief.  My sense of JKR's statement is that, in the course of writing book 7, she realized that someone she had planned on killing off would be needed later on to make the story complete, so he/she doesn't get killed off. 

I agree that the two weddings are Bill/Fleur and probably Tonks/Lupin.  As far as the two deaths, I don't see JKR killing off any of the three main characters (Ron, Hermione, Harry), though I could see it being someone like Hagrid, Lupin, McGonagall, or even one of the Weasleys.  I suppose Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, or Dudley are even a possibility. 

Just to throw another thought out there:  Is it possible that one of the characters that gets killed off is someone who is not close to Harry, like Draco or Snape or something like that?  Just a thought.

Ditto on the reprieve character, for that matter.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up