Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Books and movies?  (Read 273 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Books and movies?
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

HP1 was on TV last night, so I was watching it while procrastinating packing. I still think Rupert totally stole the movie. Such a cutie. :D

Anyways, does anyone find that their images or perceptions of characters has changed with the movies? Ron in my head is still the little Hispanic kid he will always be (loooong story), and most of the others seem fairly fixed already, but am I the only one that keeps this firm? I admit with LOTR I have a harder time clinging to my original imaginings, since the casting was in many cases quite brillaint. Do you guys have this problem with HP?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
Re: Books and movies?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »

I find I do, in some cases, or the characters have changed slightly in my head - eg Draco Malfoy, whose hair may have changed slightly in my head :D Although in some instances, I thought the film totally had the wrong idea, and kept to my own visions - eg Lupin - I didn't like the look of Lupin from the film  :P
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:47:07 PM »

I was really frustrated by the Lupin casting, until I saw him in the role. I thought he did a great job with the acting, even though he looks nothing like what I imagine Lupin as. Sirius is probably the one role that is kind of creeping into my head. Gary Oldman is evil that way. :)

One Ping Only

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »

I just have issues with the third movie even though I like who they got for Black and Lupin, I just wished they'd kept more to the storyline, but that's for another thread.

Dumbledore in the first movie was just as I had pictured him, but alas, we can not keep him.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 04:24:24 AM »

I'm still a pigheaded fan who says that if John Hurt or Ian McKellan isn't in the role of Dumbledore, then it's not really Dumbledore.

Saying that, however, the first Dumbledore did a marvelous job.  Kind, and strong at the same time.  The "current" Dumbledore just isn't, isn't, isn't the character.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »

I totally agree with that, Susan.  I also didn't like the portrayal of Dumbledore in the last movie (I can't remember if I posted this somewhere else or not).  I thought he seemed to uncertain, indecisive, lost.  At one point, he even seemed overwhelmed and ineffective.  That's just not the Dumbledore we get in the books, and that bugged me a lot.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »

I agree he wasn't the same as in the books, but I also didn't find Richard Harris's version particularly close to the books, either. Not that I can suggest anyone else as fit to match the role.  :o

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

What do you all think about Imelda Staunton as Umbridge in the next movie? I was looking at her picture, and I just can't see it. Have you seen this woman's headshots? She's gorgeous! The only conceivable way I think it'll turn out is if they make her kind of like she was in Nanny McPhee, but obviously not exactly the same. Whenever I picture Umbridge, I think of more a Kathy Bates-esque actress, no?

I'm finding it harder lately to picture the Hermione I used to have in my head. More than that, though, it's the settings that I have a hard time holding onto. I liked my imagination's version of the Burrow, dangit, and now all I can see when I read about it is the movie version. Anyone else have that problem?
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »

Having only seen Imelda Staunton as the Cook in Nanny McPhee, and not really paid attention to headshots, I think she looks about right. She's short, for one thing, which I was half afraid they were going to ignore.

The movie version of Hermione is SO FAR from what I imagined her, that she doesn't have a hope of replacing the one in my head. :)

Sets? Hmm, maybe a little bit. I don't know if I ever had a definite notion of what the dining area looked like, but if I did, it musta been pretty similar to the one in the movie. Reminds me of my cousins' ranch. :)

One Ping Only

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 02:18:14 PM »

I'm sure I pictured many things in the books differently, but it is hard to hang onto those images when the movies come out.

I know Hermione isn't what I expected in the movie but the other characters are good I feel.  I know I love Alan Rickman, he played the perfect Snape in my mind.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Betsy Wood

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • good use of french class! non ou oui?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 01:25:29 PM »

the movies don't live up to the books in many aspects but there are some things in the movies that i liked better. the sets for the third movie were amazing and i really like the bridge!!! ;D
"Why are you telling me?" I like it!That's a good philosophy: "Why are you telling me?"Why are you telling me?""Why are you telling me?"My new philosophyThe teacher gave a "D" on last week's homeworkShe said, "Miss Sally Brown,Your grades are going down."I could havetold her my new philosophy! yeah!
Pages: [1]   Go Up