Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LV and Harry and Snape, oh my  (Read 129 times)

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
LV and Harry and Snape, oh my
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:58:07 PM »

In light of everything we know now, one question keeps bothering me - why did Snape try to protect Harry from Quirrel?    The simple answer, of course, is to repay the debt to James and remain in Dumbledore's favor.

But is it? 

What if YKW is the only one who can kill Harry?  Is Snape under some kind of order to keep Harry alive at any cost? 

The "Harry Potter is a Horcrux" theory works here.  If YKW *has to* open up a horcrux to get his life-force back (which would explain why Dumbledore destroyed the Black ring, rather than just kept it hidden and safe), then he, YKW, would *have to* be the one to kill Harry.  No one else.

So Snape is a kind of bodyguard...?

BTW, who am I quoting?  Sorry but I've hit the BACK button so many times I've lost count.  Forgive me, whoever you are.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:18:17 AM by Susan Bones »

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Re: LV and Harry and Snape, oh my
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:48:34 AM »

That theory would be consistent with YKW telling the Death Eaters to stand down (let him have Harry) during the cemetary encounter in GOF.  I also like that this theory makes Snape's relationships a little more complicated (because I think they are).  While I like the theory, respectfully, I don't think Snape was guarding Harry for YKW.  I think Snape may have made a promise to Lily similar to the one he made to Narcissa.  I think that Snape's protection of Harry was duty bound, but not a duty owed to YKW.  In re-reading the earilier books, I don't think Snape's loyalties were with YKW (his opposition of Quirrel is my main basis for this thought).  He is a complicated man - we should do a timeline to track what we know about him to see if we can isolate key facts.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
Re: LV and Harry and Snape, oh my
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:21:33 AM »

I think Snape may have made a promise to Lily similar to the one he made to Narcissa.

What a romantic idea!  Creepy (it is Snape, after all), but romantic.

Maybe Snape wasn't guarding Harry solely for YKW's sake but I still think YKW has made it clear to the Death Eaters that Harry is not to be killed by anyone but himself.  This could be because of

a) pride  ("No little boy is going to get the best of me", etc., or even getting back a little of the pride he lost by being beaten by an INFANT years ago)

b) Harry needs to be kept alive for a certain period of time (until the quasi-Horcrux "ripens", perhaps?)

c) YKW thinks (or knows) he can retrieve some of the power he lost by performing some kind of ritual on Harry, similar to the one Wormtail used to return him to a human (human-ish?) form, BEFORE he kills him

d) YKW thinks (or knows) he can retrieve a piece of his broken soul by killing Harry himself, up close and personal, probably in a ritual setting.

I'm leaning toward (d).  Then again, I could be totally wrong about all of this.  It just seems very suspicious that in all this time, with Harry out gallivanting about the town he hasn't really been SERIOUSLY attacked by Death Eaters -- except by Dementors, which are too one-track-minded to care much about orders, rather like trained bulldogs, aren't they?   The attack in the Ministry was too easy for me.  Kind of like a Scooby Doo episode:  "I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids."  C'mon, these are highly trained bad guys who've taken on full-grown Aurors and toppled them.   Didn't you get the feeling that Lucius was trying very hard to restrain himself from doing any real damage?

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot
Pages: [1]   Go Up