Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reactions to GOF Movie  (Read 329 times)

Penelope Clearwater

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
Reactions to GOF Movie
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »

I know I should've seen this coming but this movie is really crap. They've completely BUTCHERED the book. AAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Reactions to GOF Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:47:55 PM »

What makes you say that, Penelope? What did they change that you didn't like? Did they keep anything you wanted to see?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Penelope Clearwater

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
Reactions to GOF Movie
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:30:40 AM »

Hmmm...it's ok to post spoilers here? After all, this thread is in The Shrieking Shack so it should be ok, right? Anyway, here's the entry I posted on my LJ after the movie.

Warning: Spoilers aplenty

I'm MAJORLY disappointed with the movie!!! They've gone and completely BUTCHERED the book. This has got to be the worst Harry Potter movie I've ever watched. May the director of this movie go down in history as the worst director of the Harry Potter movies!

*takes a deep breath*

I know I am over-reacting here but anyone who is an avid fan of the Harry Potter books would agree me that this movie really has departed so much from the book, in the very beginning too! Everything's just completely different from the book. I've never seen any movie that's based on a book being totally butchered like this before. A disgusting crowd-pleaser, that's what it is! :/ Even my hubby thought so and he's never read any of the books. He also had the feeling that a lot of things were left out in the movie.

Anyhow, some thoughts:

The Riddle House - It was a huge mansion in a vast estate. Not at all what I'd pictured it to be.

The Quidditch World Cup scene - totally electrifying but why or why did they have to leave out the veelas??? And it wouldn't hurt to show a bit of the match right?

The first task - it was driving me crazy to see Harry being chased by the Hungarian Horntail all over Hogwarts. It wasn't like that at all in the book and the movie failed to depict Harry as the really good flyer that he was. Perhaps it would be really difficult to shoot if Harry were to only circle the dragon. Oh well.

The scene in the prefects' bathroom - Moaning Myrtle was so annoying! I think the director only made that scene longer because he wanted everybody to look at Daniel Radcliff's nipples...urgh!

The gillyweed clue - it was Dobby who gave Harry the gillyweed, not Neville!

The third task - there was so much more going on than just having the bushes close in on you! I was so disappointed with the scene. I thought I was going to see the Sphinx and the giant spider :/

The graveyard scene - it was what I pictured it to be. Perhaps the only part of the movie that was true to the book. But Voldermort was nothing like I'd imagined him to be. He was too...erm flamboyant to be the Dark Lord.

Winky the house elf - the movie left her out!!! I guess that was inevitable. If she had to be included, the movie would then have to provide a lot of background about Barty Crouch Jr.

Dumbledore - he'd lost the air of wisdom about him and was so flustered throughout the movie. Too showy!

Barty Crouch Sr - the book described him as a meticulous man. The actor who protrayed him seemed like a nervous wreck!

Hermione - why must she speak with such a great effort all the time huh?

Cho Chang - can really tell that she's never had any acting experience. She was really stiff.

The confrontation scene - too brief and they didn't show the heated argument between Dumbledore and Fudge.Or Dumbledore giving Snape and Hagrid tasks to do in preparation for Voldermort's return.

I know it's difficult to squeeze everything in the book into the movie since there are only two and a half hours. Still, they should not have altered the book so much. It's ok to leave out things but to butcher the book like this is an insult to the readers. I wonder how JK Rowling would think that she liked the movie. Maybe she didn't since she was absent at the premiere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking forward to see the Quidditch World Cup and the Triwizard Tournament but the movie left out so much and the whole thing just felt so rushed. A friend of mine succintly summarised the movie when she said it was all show and no soul. I don't know...maybe some of you will like it but for me, this really is the worst HP movie ever  :(

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Reactions to GOF Movie
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  I really enjoyed the movie and was amazed about how much of the story it was able to retain considering the size of the book.  I felt it was a tight adaptaion that eliminated some of the side story (which made the book so rich) while retaining the main story line.  On the negative side, I feel the Rita Skeeter character served no point in the movie and could have been chucked to include some of the eliminated backstory on Barty Crouch, Jr. and his relaitionship with his father.  I also missed the Percy character, but I can understand why it was sacrificed to fit the movie within the time limit.

Did anyone else have this experience - only 1 preview before the movie started .. . . I thought with it being such a big movie there would be tons of previews.  Nope.  They only had one (a penguin movie with Robin Williams doing one of the voices) before the movie started.  It took me off guard - I thought it was a preview for another movie when it started.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
Reactions to GOF Movie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 05:18:55 PM »

I thought that the new movie was tastefully done. Sure, it missed out stuff, but you have to, right? Sure, I was annoyed that they missed out a bit of backstory on how Barty Crouch Jnr actually got out of Azkaban, but then they would have had to add Winky into the movie and spend more minutes introducing her. I didn't like the way the Imperius Curse was portrayed - it seemed that whoever was under the curse couldn't even remotely try to fight against it.

Now this is going to sound very picy but Hermione's dress was blue in the book! In the movie it was pink, but I suppose they made her have a pink dress so that it showed off tht she was a girl.

I liked Ron's jealousy. It worked! I also liked Draco Malfoy being turned into a ferret - I was laughing, but just about everyone else in the screen wasn't. They were such a dull audience :D

The graveyard scene I thought was really well done - I especially liked how the smoke turned into Voldemort's cloak, and the special effects like Wormtail's silver hand. I liked the weird grave statue pinning Harry to the grave too. With the Priori Incantatum, the light coming from Harry's wand was red  Gryffindor - and from Voldemort's was green - Slytherin. I thought that was cool. I think Voldemort was nicely portrayed - he was as evil as I expected him to be.

The one thing that I really didn't get was the mirror in Moody's office. He told Harry that the eyes glowed white if they were behind him. So why didn't this happen at the end? Or did I just miss it?

Sure, a lot of stuff was cut out, but I think they kept what were the integral parts to the plot, and they worked. A niffler would have been funny to see though.
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: Reactions to GOF Movie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »

Suprisingly, I liked the movie for the most part. I thought the beginning went far too fast; it felt like they were just hitting main points as quickly as they could so they could get to the triwizard tournament. After seeing the beginning of the movie and being pretty disappointed, I didn't have high expectations.

The rest of the movie, though, made me happy. I liked some of the stuff they added, and didn't mind most of the stuff they cut out.

One thing that I wish they had included was house elves. I thought that it was too major of a plot point to leave out.

I loved Moody.

I didn't like how Dumbledore yelled so much.

The maze scene had much more potential, I thought. They didn't really show any of the cool obstacles, all that happened was the walls of the hedge moved in. Oh well.

[edit] I thought Voldemort looked really cool. I absolutely loved that whole scene. It was a lot like I imagined it, actually. even the priori incantatem, which I didn't have high expectations for.

I would have been glad that they threw in the thing about Neville's parents, but they didn't elaborate too much. There was a name mentioned in the Pensieve, but Harry never asked Dumbledore to elaborate. That half-attempt to throw in that part bothered me more than it would have if they had left it out, if that makes any sense.

Would it have been so hard to say that Barty Crouch Jr. was supposed to have died in Azkaban? That would have been a quick addition that would have helped tie it to the book better, IMHO.

I thought Hermione was supposed to like Krum, and in the movie she acted like she hated him. I thought that was weird.

Overall, though, I really liked the movie. I'd elaborate more, but I've got to go again. I swear, I never get a break to just surf the internet anymore. >_<
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:34:06 PM by SeaShelly3 »
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Betsy Wood

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • good use of french class! non ou oui?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 05:51:38 PM »

I have to agree with everyone that the movie was very good, but i was pretty perturbed about some of the changes. The least they could've done is let the right characters do the things they do in the book. I think that they needed to have the fiasco between hagrid and rita skeeter.

although i did find the movie very moving. my dad went and saw it friday & i got back an hour ago. He said that the way cedric died that it was sad. I thought that how everyone was cheering when harry got back and harry was having a breakdown was the sad part.It was horrible how this was portrayed. I was like harry and bawlled my eyes out.

After the movie, my parents and I went to eat. I was driving them mad w/ all my compairing and contrasting of the book to the movie.g2g
"Why are you telling me?" I like it!That's a good philosophy: "Why are you telling me?"Why are you telling me?""Why are you telling me?"My new philosophyThe teacher gave a "D" on last week's homeworkShe said, "Miss Sally Brown,Your grades are going down."I could havetold her my new philosophy! yeah!

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14:25 PM »

I found the movie very enjoyable.  After seeing what happened with the third movie I haven't kept my hopes up too much about any other movie that comes out.  I do wish they had had more with Rita because it plays more of a role in the later move/book.  The house elves I was glad they took out.  I had read in a magazine someplace that they were taking them out so I wasn't too bumbed.  I'm sorry but I hated the whole S.P.E.W part of the book.  Yes it brought about Winkey and all but I didn't like it in the book.  I thought they could have done the Jr. part of it better.  It made it seem as though Azkabaan wasn't that hard of a place to get out of.  I mean we just got done with Blacks escape and how it was impossible to get out.  Many loose ends that they didn't seem to clean up.

I wished they had done more with the World Cup but they had to get moving.  Fleur wasn't portrayed very well I don't think and with not bringing Bill and Charlie into the movie it makes the Sixeth seem very weak if we are being introduced to that Fleur likes Bill in the fifth.  I don't know.

I liked the movie though, it kept pretty true to the book, I just wanted a few more details put in.  I was glad that it was longer than the third movie was though.  I'm sorry, but I despise the third movie.  Basically if you only read the last 100 pages of the book, that summed up the whole movie right there.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:43:11 PM »

Newell did a very good job on this film. One of the biggest HP books, and he was able to squeeze it in to a 2 and a half hour movie. I thought that the Quidditch World Cup stadium was amazing. Astounding visual effects! It could've helped that they showed some of the match, but it's okay. The third task didn't impress me much, but they made up for it by doing a great job on the graveyard scene. All in all, one of the best HP films yet, definitely topping PoA.
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"-Obi-Wan Kenobi

jen potter

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20:39 PM »

I thoughtthe movie was pretty good, but there were things that i wish could've been in it. ifelt that rita playeda big part in seting the mood and i would've liked to see winky! All in all the movie was very good! i liked the director and i think the kids did as well!
every single day
i walk down the street
i hear people say 'baby so sweet
ever since puberty
everybody stares at me
boys girls i can't help it baby
so be kind and don't lose your mind
just remember that i'm your baby
take me for what i am
who i was ment to be
and if you give a d*
take me

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 09:59:22 PM »

Yeah, seeing Dobby and Winky again would have been nice. But hey, they had to squeeze it into a 2 and a half hour time frame, so they did a pretty good job.
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"-Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 11:53:46 PM »

I, Ping, do hereby blaspheme by admitting that I liked the 4th movie better than the 4th book.

*puts up a protective shield* Bear with me on this!

I didn't mind the lack of Dobby and Winky and the nixing of SPEW. I liked having Neville more involved. I didn't mind the skipping of some of the details on Barty Jr, because I thought the actors did a really good job of conveying the backstory without going into detail.

Also, I felt that the betrayal of Moody had more foreshadowing in the movie than in the book. In the book, there really didn't seem to be any reason to suspect Moody, but in the movie, we're given clues and hints. (And those of us who've read the book know already, of course, but ... Um .... I liked the movie version of it better.)
I didn't mind the maze being different. I was a bit worried, and Dumbledore's speech beforehand seemed just odd and way too heavy-handed on the foreshadowing, but on the whole, they had the important things, which were Viktor being imperio-ed and Cedric and Harry helping each other out and getting to the cup at the same time.

The graveyard scene was amazing. The return was heart-wrenching. I cried, I admit it. Embarrassing, but there you are.

There were things I didn't like, chief among them being that Emma Watson is way too pretty to be Hermione, so that the whole revelation of her at the Yule Ball had zero impact for me. And her being all upset at the end wass odd--felt like there was a deleted scene in there somewhere.

But on the whole I really liked it, and David Tennant might be my new minor celebrity obsession--though with his new role as the Doctor in Doctor Who, the minor might not last so long. :)

One Ping Only

jen potter

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »

I didn't mind the lack of Dobby and Winky and the nixing of SPEW. I liked having Neville more involved. I didn't mind the skipping of some of the details on Barty Jr, because I thought the actors did a really good job of conveying the backstory without going into detail.

I agree about Neville. This was a very good way to get him into the movies because he has an extreamely big part in the next movie.now i would have liked havng winky but that didn't matter too much!
every single day
i walk down the street
i hear people say 'baby so sweet
ever since puberty
everybody stares at me
boys girls i can't help it baby
so be kind and don't lose your mind
just remember that i'm your baby
take me for what i am
who i was ment to be
and if you give a d*
take me

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 09:08:22 PM »

Yeah, but they kindof did the right thing by getting rid of Winky. Though it seemed kindof odd that Neville gives Harry the gillyweed instead of Dobby. I have to admit, he's definitily getting more screen time because of his next role in HP5. Are they going to show more of him than this one did?
May the Force be with  you(you'll need it!)

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13:32 PM »

Hmmm, well Neville had a much more important role in the OotP than he did in GoF, so I would think that we'll see more of Neville in the 5th movie, I mean he is part of the DA.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 10:03:39 PM »

I am in Ping's camp - I saw the movie a second time, and I think it is better than the book.  Don't get me wrong, there are several parts of the book that are not in the movie which I adore.  However, I think the movie does a GREAT job of distilling the key parts of GOF into a concise, clear, entertaining package.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 11:45:48 PM »

Hrmm, I'm not sure if I liked it better than the book. I really did like it a lot, but on a different level than the book. I thought the movie was more exciting and emotional, but the book leaves me feeling more... fulfilled, I guess. Like I've gotten a complete story. It's just the fundamental difference between movies and books. I'll always like books better than movies, but as far as movies go, GoF was pretty awesome.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Morgan Granger

• Gryffindor
  • Fifth-year
  • Gryffindor and Proud!
    • View Profile
    • Morgan's Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 12:53:16 PM »

Well, for me personally, as the 4th book is actually one of my least favorites (not sure why, it just always hasn't been too tasteful for me), I thought the movie, as a major thriller, was pretty good. Movies never are as good as the books it seems, just because for one, the directors aren't J.K. Rowling, and they can't think as creatively as her, and secondly, it's not possible to produce real magic, so the movies are all about trickery and making it flow.

Although, I must admit that the movie was quite choppy, cutting in and out and so forth, but I have to say, the trailers really draw people in, and the tasks had great imaging.

EDIT - And I have to agree with Penelope on a few points, they did leave many things out, even if they were crunched for time. Perhaps they should have made the movie a little long, like LotR?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 12:57:43 PM by Morgan Granger »

I hold onto secrets, in White Houses
White Houses, Vanessa Carlton

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »

GOF was actually a really long movie by industry standards. Not by LOTR standards, but so few things are. :)

I need to see the movie again and get a second opinion, but I still say it was really well done. Perhaps because, as with you, Morgan, I didn't like the book as much as some of the others, I wasn't really expecting tons. The movie cut out some stuff I just didn't like or that didn't thrill me about the books.

One concern I will have until book 7 is out, though, is that there may be things in the previous books that are important that get glossed over in the movies that will end up playing a major role in the final battle and they'll have to be forced in.

But this movie actually made me think that they might be able to pull the last three movies off with at least some degree of style.

One Ping Only

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 03:29:09 AM »

I'm not going to give much of a comment on the movie -- it just would not be fair for me to do so, as I have simply allowed myself to see the two (books and movies) as two totally different things, as to avoid the inevitable disappointment that comes whenever one compares a beloved book to a movie.

That said, I was just fine with the movie, and watched it a few times.  The real point of this point, however off-topic it may be, is to respond to Ping's last post.  Ping, you mentioned that you fear some  details have/will be left out in the movies that will prove to be plot-essential to later books.  Though I have no source to cite, as I read the information ages ago, I am most certain that JKR had once said she was working with directors of the movies to be certain specific elements were not left out, elements that would prove to be important in future books.

Actually, I've just remembered where I saw it -- it was in an "Extras" feature on one of the movie's DVD -- perhaps HP and the CoS movie, where JKR was interviewed about the production of the movies.

Granted, that would have been two movies, but that would seem like a principle she would continue to employ throughout all of the movies' productions
...I hope...
Pages: [1]   Go Up