Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 151 times)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Hurricane Katrina
« on: August 28, 2005, 11:42:30 PM »

I just wanted to send my best wishes to everyone in the New Orleans/Louisiana/general southern area, and hope that everyone makes it through the storm OK. I've been watching on the news, and the situation does not look pretty at all. My thoughts will be with everyone in that region of the country.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:34:24 PM »

I can't even watch the news reports anymore, it's just too devastating.  Now with the levees (sp?) broken, they have to add the Mississippi river flooding to the mix, and New Orleans is all below sea level, and it's just terrible.  My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.  God bless and stay safe.
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »

I live in Birmingham - the storm was so strong that over 250,000 people in Birmingham lost power and we are several hundred miles inland.  One of my husband's best friends is a doctor in New Orleans.  He got out and is in Baton Rouge, but his house was destroyed.  He is not sure the hospital where he works still exists.  He is volunteering with the rescue attempts during the day helping examine people who are being rescued.  I don't know how he is holding it together - in a few hours to lose everything you know - your home, your job, your city .  . .

I still can't believe this.  In the last year 3 major hurricanes have hit the Gulf Coast so close to my home.  I feel like there is a bullseye on this area.  The worse thing is that there are at least 6 more weeks of hurricane season left.  Hurricane Ivan, wihch tore up the Alabama Gulf Coast and Florida panhandle, hit in mid-September.  I can't even begin to image what will happen if another hurricane hits this area in the next few weeks.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:52:56 PM »

Well, I'm glad you're safe, Heather, though I know you're by no means in perfect emotional stability. I've been watching the news a lot over the past few days, and there is a huge amount of tragedy coming out of this disaster, and new stories of disaster and grief unfortunately seem to outweigh the tales of survival.

I especially hope that people manage to get out of the areas most affected and stay safe, especially with the diseases that threaten in the standing water. I heard that they are putting people up in the Houston AstroDome, and I've been wondering why they can't put more large gathering places to a similar use. Near my city, we have air force bases with hangars big enough to house tens of thousands; there are several other baseball stadiums that could hold tons of people... why aren't the being used? It's frustrating that more isn't being done.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »

I'm just raw, and I am not in the eye of the destruction.  I can't imagine what it is like just 70 miles southwest from here.  This is such a tremendous tragedy on all levels.  Please, be good to you neighbor.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 10:05:36 PM »

check out this blog:  www.mgno.com - it is an amazing blog from a man still in New Orleans.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 10:40:51 AM »

Shelly, it's a good question, but I can't imagine the logistics it takes to get just one central location like that put together. So many people, unexpected, no one imagining that it would happen. It's paralyzing to me just trying to imagine where I'd start.

I'd like to again encourage people to donate whatever they can to the effort. I know a lot of the members of this board are kids, but even a few bucks can help.

Heather, hang in there, and be sure to let us know if you need anything, even if it's just some e-hugs, which you have a lot of from me!
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up