Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Book 7 News and Rumors  (Read 954 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: Book 7 News and Rumors
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 07:57:08 AM »

She seems to think we wouldn't WANT a 1500 page book. Silly Jo. :D
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »

No kidding. 1500 pages would be awesome. Hey, did you guys hear what happened when Jo tried to fly back from the States? The airport security wanted her to check her book 7 manuscript with the rest of her luggage, but she refused.

Can you believe that? Like she's really going to hand over the only copy of book 7 to some burly security guard. I mean, since when are books a threat to homeland security? "I'm sorry, ma'am. You can't have that novel on this flight. You might use it to give paper cuts to the passengers."

She said if they hadn't eventually let her carry it on, she'd have sailed home. I don't doubt it, I would've too, in her shoes. ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »

Yeah I just read that yesterday and laughed.  Thankfully, some security guard had some common sense and decided that handwritten pieces of paper aren't a threat to national, international or passenger security.  LOL!
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »

I actually think the manuscript could inspire world peace - if she threatened to hold it until peace broke out, most of western civilization would likely comply.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

Haha, too bad most of the people who control America are the same kind of people who won't read Harry Potter because witchcraft is sinful.  ::)

Plus, I couldn't stand to wait for world peace to read the last book. In fact, reading it may be the only way I can stay sane with all the war going on.  ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »

A group of women in ... uh, I forget which country now, but I think Venezuala tried to make their gang-member boyfriends stop fighting by refusing to sleep with them. This actually was a theme that occured a couple of times in Greek legend. (I think Euripides wrote the women giving up on the scheme out of desperation, 'cause the men weren't paying attention.)

I think withholding HP7 from the world might just lead to more violence, though. I would certainly not be trustworthy at that point, having gone clean off my head in agonize desperation. :D

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 08:46:33 PM »

I can't believe I'm the first person to post on this --  the cover for the new HP book has been unveiled: 

Wed Mar 28, 5:23 PM ET

NEW YORK - What picture shows a dramatic gold and orange sky and a teenage boy in glasses reaching upward?

It's the cover to the seventh and final Harry Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," coming out July 21. As always, the cover was designed by illustrator Mary GrandPre, U.S. publisher Scholastic, Inc., announced Wednesday.

"The structures around Harry show evident destruction and in the shadows behind him, we see outlines of other people," David Saylor, Scholastic's art director, said in a statement.

"For the first time, the cover is a wraparound. On the back cover spidery hands are outstretched toward Harry. Only when the book is opened does one see a powerful image of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, his glowing red eyes peering out from his hood."

J.K. Rowling's fantasy series has sold more than 325 million copies worldwide. "Deathly Hallows" has an announced first printing of 12 million in the United States alone.

The cover for the children's edition released by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, Rowling's British publisher, shows an adult-looking Harry, Hermione and Ron. The adult edition has a photograph of a locket bearing a serpentine "S" — believed to be the "horcrux" in which Lord Voldemort keeps a fragment of his soul.

To see the cover, click the link below:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_en_ot/books_potter_cover

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Hmm. As ever, I kinda like the British version better. :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »

Hmm. As ever, I kinda like the British version better. :)
The British children's version or the adult? Because I find the adult version kind of boring... or if not boring, at least not very revealing. :D I've been scouring the British children's and the US covers for information on what to expect in the book... and I guess I haven't gotten too much there, either, but I'll share what I've gathered.

In the US version on the wraparound part of the cover, you can see YKW stretching his hands out similarly to Harry. On that article up there it says that he's stretching them //toward// Harry, but I think both Harry and YKW are probably reaching out toward the same thing. I just wonder why there are so many people watching, and what's with the yellow curtains. The whole thing seems very theatrical. I even made jokes with my sister about how it looks like it's Harry and YKW starring in the Broadway production of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm trying to think what kind of place there would be that we've seen curtains and all I can think of would be the Ministry of Magic... where there's that platform thing or whatever and the veil is there and I //think// I remember something about curtains... does anyone else recall anything of this nature in book 5?

Now the Children's Version is kind of weird... I like the pretty picture of the castle on the back, but on the front, all three kids have weird expressions on, and even weirder positions. They look like they've just leaped through this arch in the back, but somehow Harry and Hermione are leaning forward, but Ron is falling over backward. Ron and Hermione look terrified, but they're looking in opposite directions which makes me think they're surrounded by something scary. Harry looks like he's a brown belt in Karate and he's going to chop off some Death Eater's heads with his bare hands, Jackie Chan-style. He's also got a cut on his left arm and, oh yeah, they're all surrounded by gold and jewels. Someone with pale hands and girly fingernails is holding a sword or a long dagger right behind Harry's back, with their other hand on Harry's right shoulder. And is that blonde hair I see? This just gets weirder and weirder, am I right?

So... any thoughts?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »

Obviously they have come through the Stargate, as we find out that LV's serpent-like qualities are actually because he was taken over by a goa'uld and retreated to P3X-62442, where within his mounds of treasure is stored a device capable of killing him.

Or not. :D

Seriously, though, I was surprised about the lots of gold and jewels. It seems like there may be a trip to Gringotts involved.

In the Wrap-around verion, Harry is wearing a pendant on his neck. Seems like pendants are all the rage this year in wizarding fash....

Erm, where was I?

So the arches, the curtains, the people watching, it all makes me think of the MoM, actually. There could be other places, and the people watching could be those LV has killed, or maybe the Deatheaters, but the outlines of their heads seems to suggest un-hooded types. They could, of course, just be a metaphor of something watching Harry.

I would initially vote for the curtain as being the veil, except it seems too solid to my mind. (And it's held open, but that could just be a symbol of one of the two of them having held open the veil to allow people to come out.

Except there's broken stone and wood on the ground, which makes me wonder if it's actually at somebody's broken-down house.

It sounds like we'll get to see a bit more of the Dursleys, and it'll be interesting to see if they've evolved at all after Dumbledore's lecture.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »

Obviously they have come through the Stargate, as we find out that LV's serpent-like qualities are actually because he was taken over by a goa'uld and retreated to P3X-62442, where within his mounds of treasure is stored a device capable of killing him.
*forehead slap* Of course! Why didn't I see it before?

So the arches, the curtains, the people watching, it all makes me think of the MoM, actually. There could be other places, and the people watching could be those LV has killed, or maybe the Deatheaters, but the outlines of their heads seems to suggest un-hooded types. They could, of course, just be a metaphor of something watching Harry.

I would initially vote for the curtain as being the veil, except it seems too solid to my mind. (And it's held open, but that could just be a symbol of one of the two of them having held open the veil to allow people to come out.

The MoM was kind of what I was getting at, too. I wasn't entirely clear on that. Were there curtains in that room besides the veil?

And I guess my question in response to the bolded parts I quoted above would be: has there been that kind of symbolism on GrandPre's covers as of yet? It seems to my (admittedly poor) memory that they've all depicted actual events from the book. Cover one, he's playing Quidditch, cover three, riding a hippogriff, cover six, looking down into the fake-locket-holding magic zombie-summoning bowl of weird make-Dumbledore-crazy juice... of course, it's possible that GrandPre would introduce new and exciting things to the illustrations this time, it being the last book and all, but I don't know.

Except there's broken stone and wood on the ground, which makes me wonder if it's actually at somebody's broken-down house.

Hmm... Yeah, that is curious. Godric's Hollow? It seems kind of fitting that the story would end there, since that's where it began.

Also, I was looking again at the UK Children's cover, and that thing that's clutching onto Harry looks too small and odd-colored to be human... could it be a house-elf maybe? Can you imagine if the trio had to drag Kreacher along on the Horcrux Hunt the whole time for some reason? Hilarity ensues.  ;D

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »

Dude, I totally didn't notice the house-elf-looking thing behind Harry. While I want it to be Dobby, it's probably Kreecher, since didn't Harry inherit him?

I don't know that there's been that sort of symbolic stuff before, no. But, uh, I couldn't think of anything else. :D

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

Obviously, they're both seekers in the greatest Gryffindor-Slytherin Quidditch match ever, and both are going after the Snitch, which is just off-stage right. 

Heh.

So, yeah, Shelly.  I agree with you that it looks more like Harry and LV are reaching for the same thing than that LV is reaching toward Harry.  Harry seems to be waiting for something to drop into his hand.  It would seem strange for them to be reaching for something, especially if it's not nailed down, since either of them could accio it.  So it makes me wonder if it's someone.

And I don't know what to make of the wood and stone.  For some reason it makes me think of the Riddle House, though obviously the Riddle House wasn't so surrounded by arches. 

The arches and veil do make me think of the MoM as well.  I don't recall enough detail, though, about the room in which the veil was to remember if it had arches. 

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »

I've actually had it in my head for a while that Fawkes is probably going to play a big role in this book, so I wonder if that could be what they're both reaching for?

I really need to reread the fifth book... too bad I left it at home when I came back to school. :(

*rips hair out in frustration* I really don't think I can wait 104 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes and 54 seconds, you guys!

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »

//touches wand to Shelly's head, restoring hair//

It's okay, dear.  We'll all wait together with you.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:38 PM »

I was listening to MuggleCast and PotterCast, and I must say, people pay way more attention to the cover art than I ever would have thought to do. Yay for wacky theories!

Anyway, a couple of things. One is that in the US Children's version, Harry's wearing something on his neck. Most people seem to assume it's the locket or maybe a pouch with something in it. What if it's the mirror?

I also didn't notice the fact that the kids look very beat up in the UK version.

And is that Prongs or Harry's patronus, do you suppose?

One Ping Only

scrappychick23

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • freaking amazing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2007, 10:23:59 PM »

oh my god!!!!!! if you have yet to go on you tube, look at this video!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1Z2XEWs9o

this is really scary cuz it quotes JKR!!!!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »

*shrug* Nothing we haven't heard before. JKR has been saying that for a long time, and putting her quotes into the video is just an attempt to give it a validity it doesn't have. They don't even hint at what their sources are. Unless and until I read it, I'm not going to believe anything.

-Ping the Doubting

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2007, 08:23:07 PM »

Am I remembering things incorrectly - I thought JKR said Harry was not a horcrux.  Am I mistaken?  If my memory is correct, then it should answer the video
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »

I believe she did say that, Heather.  Besides, the prophecy said "neither can live while the other survives," which I take to mean that neither is assured of the safety/security his life until the other is dead.  That doesn't communicate to me that both must die (though, I suppose that is technically possible). 

Guess we'll find out in LESS THAN TWO MONTHS!!!!!!

ahem.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 11:47:54 PM »

Wow, is there a source on the Harry-isn't-a-Horcrux quote? That would make me lean more towards, say, Voldy's wand.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »

Was it not on her website? 

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »

Bummed.  Just found out I'm going to be away at trial when Book 7 comes out.  I was supposed to be in trial for the whole month of June, but the judge pushed it back to July instead.  Think amazon will ship to a hotel....?

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa, I haven't heard anything about JKR denying that Harry's a horcrux. I can't find it in the Rumours section of the website, either... I'd be really bummed out, because I've been arguing pretty fiercely for the case that he IS a horcrux.

And Cho, I bet there's a way to get a package at the hotel... or, if you're going to be there for a whole month, you could probably get a PO Box.

Or you could always find a Borders and go to the midnight party! ^_^

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »

Most hotels will take packages for guests, so if you know the hotel address, you can do it that way. Or do the midnight party. I just have to decide which book store I'm going to crash for my midnight copy. :)

I hope she didn't quash the Harry/Horcrux theory, because it's my main source of speculation at this point.

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up