Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book 7 News and Rumors  (Read 952 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Book 7 News and Rumors
« on: July 17, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »

THere was a great post on the Leaky Cauldron about a recent JKR Interivew.  I have posted the text below:

J.K.Rowling Interview on ITV; Book 7 Two Years Away?

ITV just broadcast show that featured their contest winner, Owen Jones, interviewing Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. TLC Reader Dawn sent in some quick notes of things that JKR said in the broadcast.

- Jk says that Ravenclaw will have their day *taps nose*

- Wormtail will not kill Lupin.

- Jk was implying something having Dumbledore defeat Grindelwald the same year World War 2 ended.

- She gave Harry a fortune as she was poor at the time and wanted him to have a lot. Wishful thinking.

- Jk would like to teach Defence against the Dark Art at Hogwarts as it's the most worth while.

- Loves fan-theories. People have been very close to figuring out things and some people have even figured out part of book seven.

- Her editor doesn't want characters swearing, so she gets round that (by saying things like Ron swore loudly).

- Will start book seven at the end of the year and has already done a few things to prepare.

UPDATE: CBBC Newsround has now posted their story about this ITV interview. In an article titled "Potter seven is 'two years' away' ", there are some additional quotes from J.K. Rowling about the books.

But she did have some good news for Potter fans who can't imagine waiting another two years to find out what happens to Harry and his friends. She said that, more than ever before, the end of the sixth book will leave big clues as to what's to come in book seven.

"I think I give very clear pointers as to what Harry will do next," she said. "There is plenty to guess at... at least one thing I think people will probably deduce, there is a mystery left at the end, but I think they might already know the answer if they think about it."

ALSO: Ireland On-line now has extensive quotage from the interview with JKR. There is this from the author about keeping the plots and details secret before the release of the books

"What do you think you have gained from keeping the plots such a secret?" asked Owen.

Rowling replied "I gain nothing but the satisfaction of knowing that all my hard work goes to the people for whom it is intended. In other words, people who really want to read the books, and I definitely believe that 99.9% of my readership would rather read the books and find out for themselves.

"I find it upsetting and disquieting that some elements are so keen on spoilers because it seems such a mean spirited thing to do. This is not about money or anything other than the pleasure of reading for people who want to read it, so... yeah I find that difficult."
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

RSM

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • I ♥ Stanley James Gilliard
    • View Profile
    • my xanga
Re: Book 7 News and Rumors
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 12:18:29 PM »

Well That's Real Helpful.. I Wonder What She Means By "Ravenckaw will get there day" ?? Can you Believe The Books Are Almost Finished! ALREADY! i mean i finsished Book 6 in 7 hours, when i was done i was so made i have to wait so long for the final book! :-(
♥ J e s s i c a R e n e e ♥

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:46:16 PM »

Yes, I read the book in about 7 hours as well. I can't wait till the 7th book comes out. Two years though... :-\
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"-Obi-Wan Kenobi

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »

I also finished book 6 in about 7 hours. It really seems like JKR isn't ready to end the series.
May the Force be with  you(you'll need it!)

jen potter

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 09:43:41 PM »

cam i know that you didn't finnish in 7 hours! you told me so. liar liar! I nearly finnished the book twice in 13 hours!
every single day
i walk down the street
i hear people say 'baby so sweet
ever since puberty
everybody stares at me
boys girls i can't help it baby
so be kind and don't lose your mind
just remember that i'm your baby
take me for what i am
who i was ment to be
and if you give a d*
take me

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »

Well sorry! I finished it my second time around the block >:(

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:48:36 PM »

Ooooooohhhh...BUSTED!
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"-Obi-Wan Kenobi

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:54:07 PM »

Shutup! >:( It's not my fault I lie! Everyone is entitled to one lie

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »

It really seems like JKR isn't ready to end the series.
Yeah, I think it's tough on every author when it's time to end a series because that's been their life for the past few years, and now that it's done they feel like they are missing something, which is way a lot of them write preludes to their novels

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:57:50 PM »

So true. But if there is a prelude, what do you think it will be like?

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

I was thinking it would be of James's days at Hogwarts, and then the aftermath(like being in the Order and fighting LV). It'd be an interesting story.

cam19910

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • Who da man? Yoda man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »

Definitly. Though I think they might show James' life for maybe a few chapters. What's your opinion?

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »

Possibly, though I doubt JKR will do it. She will more than likely be thoroughly glad when she finally finishes the HP series. I mean, this has been her life since 1992.

jen potter

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 02:02:25 PM »

i hope she dosen't because she is my favorite female author!!!
*cough, cough*
well, with the excetion of Jane Austen and Fern Michaels!

Jk has done so wellon these booksand it would be a shame for her to end here.even ikf she were to end HP she should still continue to write!
every single day
i walk down the street
i hear people say 'baby so sweet
ever since puberty
everybody stares at me
boys girls i can't help it baby
so be kind and don't lose your mind
just remember that i'm your baby
take me for what i am
who i was ment to be
and if you give a d*
take me

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 07:02:34 AM »

I have no doubt she'll continue to write--she's talked vaguely about other projects she's been working on. And I'd love to see the encycolpedia type thing she's talked about. But I can't imagine wanting to write any more in this world! Lots of authors get hemmed in by their worlds and end up hating them. This is a phenomenon that dates back to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who discovered that throwing his main character over a waterfall was not good enough to get rid of him.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Morgan Granger

• Gryffindor
  • Fifth-year
  • Gryffindor and Proud!
    • View Profile
    • Morgan's Livejournal
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »

My friend Anna found this posted on Amazon:

The title, well, it's pretty blah, and not very JKRish, so it could be just a hoax set up on Amazon.

The release date would be cool, however - 7th book released on July 7, 2007. (7 released 7/7/07) And, 7 is a perfect number, so it makes sense. Hehe....

However, the title I don't think is real, as for one thing.

Also, I heard a rumor that JKR is going to kill off Harry. It's a 50/50 chance, even if it is a rumor, but that's been going around forever. Hehe...  :laugh:

-Morgan-

I hold onto secrets, in White Houses
White Houses, Vanessa Carlton

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 04:26:17 PM »

That's just way too unsubtle. I hope. :) Considering that JKR has said she's not even going to work on the book, well, I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.

She said quite early on that Harry might die--so that rumor has been flying around for years. I could see it, personally. I mean, say Harry's scar is a horcrux. Or Harry himself is the horcrux. It might be necessary for him to die.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 08:35:47 PM »

CNN.com did a story this weekend saying that the book was due to the publisher by the end of 2006.  Has anyone heard any other rumors?

dumbldor

• Gryffindor
  • Second-year Student
  • I have a wand and I know how to use it...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 06:52:11 PM »

harry can't be a horcrux because in the forth book voldy locks tried to kill him!
Dragons will get there  revenge.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »

Erm, dumbledor, that's not really news or a rumor.  Did you mean to post this in the horcrux speculation thread?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

I think he meant it as a response to Morgan's img from Amazon of the "Harry Potter and the Last Horcrux" phony title.  Yeah, it's a fake, Morg, but it's sweet that you still believe.   ::)

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »

In a recent interview, JKR mentioned that one character is getting a reprieve, but that she's killing two others that she hadn't planned on killing. The article I read (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5119836.stm) seems to think that only two people are going to die, but it doesn't sound that way to me. Just that two more will die, two she hadn't planned for.

Thoughts, anyone?

One Ping Only

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

Yeah, she said that two additional characters were going to die, more than what she had planned. I don't know how much of a drastic change this had on the plot, but I'm guessing these other two characters are probably not one of the main characters, because I bet she already had main characters' deaths already planned out. Snape's a pretty good bet that he'll die in the future, because he'll be caught in the crossfire between light and dark. As for the reprieve, my guess would be somewhere along the lines of any one of the trio, Ginny, or Lupin.

But, I do with JK on that there will probably be only one "Harry" book series, as it is very hard to come up with multiple books in the fantasy/wizardry genre, especially after she incorporated so much into this one.

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 06:03:58 AM »

I found this bit of new information about book 7.
To sum it up:
  • Dumbledore is definitely dead, but still has an important role in the last book.
  • Severus Snape is good.
  • Petunia Dursley has an important role.
  • Rowling implied heavily that the Golden Trio would survive
  • Draco Malfoy and any other characters "appear redeemable", except Lord Voldemort
  • The last book will explain the deep connection between a wizard and his wand

I'm guessing that Petunia's role is something to do with the letters that Dumbledore sent her, and that Harry might get advice from the Dumbledore portrait. I wanted to speculate about Snape being good or evil, but if this is true, then basically all speculating is over, right?
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »

//jawdrop//

Snape good??!?  I have to admit that I can't believe it, and I'm curious/anxious to see how JKR pulls that one off without communicating the message that it's okay to kill someone (or promise to do so/condone one doing so) so long as your intention is good. 

I'm not suprised by the rest of it and even half expected it all.  Petunia has to come back in in order to make the whole owl thing from book 5 make sense.  And I think it'd be somewhat sick of JKR to kill off one of the trio.  Draco - yeah, makes sense to me.  She has always said that it is your choices that determine who you are, so of course Draco could choose otherwise.  Wand:  makes sense, too, given the importance of priori incantatem in any faceoff that Harry will have with LV.

Awesome, AT!  Take 10 points!

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »

Yeah, I had heard all of that from her Harry, Carrie and Garp tour, except the bit about Snape being good. I don't remember reading that part, actually. I'll have to do some more research, because I'm still a bit skeptical. (No offense, AT. :) )

As I read the quote from the interview, I understood that she implied that Ron and Hermione would live, but she still left it up in the air about Harry. I don't remember the exact wording, but she accidentally spilled it when asked which characters she would invite to dinner. She said "I'd bring Harry to apologize to him," and the crowd gasped, and then she said "I'd bring Ron and Hermione... but oops! I know who's still alive at the end..." Implying that she'd listed only characters who were living. So I'm still not sure about Harry, but I bet Ron and Hermione live.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 12:11:56 AM »

Yeah, I was a bit skeptical when I first read the article because it was the first time I'd heard that Snape was good from news about the charity reading. I just found this on mugglenet (because I thought I'd check out more sources to see if it's true), and apparently:
Author Salman Rushdie, along with his son, came to ask, after a detailed theory, if Snape is good or bad. Jo replied that "your opinion was correct." Rushdie's opinion, unfortunately, was hard to follow.
So, maybe the person who wrote previous article interpreted his opinion as "Snape is good"?

*sighs* What would be REALLY good was if we had a transcript of the interview. Anyone know where we can get one? *goes to search HP Lexicon*

Oh, and with Harry: I have no idea whether he'll live or die, I really don't. JKR could be apologising for anything - his parents' deaths, all the terrible things she made him go through, making him die at the end of the series (possibly)...
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 10:11:59 PM »

Well, here's one person's write up on it.  Unfortunately, not helpful, but at least it gives a little more detail:

Then a reader brought up Snape. A rather notable reader, as at the microphone now was Salman Rushdie, author of The Satanic Verses. He spoke of how Severus Snape had always been unlikable, but still one of the good guys. However, now, he seems bad although we don’t really want to believe it, because Snape’s wickedness would indicate that Dumbledore is dead. Finally the question ended in: is Snape good or bad? At this point, JKR, more heartened now that we wasn’t facing an adorable third grader declared forcefully that “Dumbledore is DEFINITELY dead.” She suggested that we all must move through the five stages of grief, but should perhaps stop before anger.

Here's another (slightly) more helpful one

A very young boy asked in a roundabout, albeit moving, way if Dumbledore were truly dead. Jo's eyes seemed to moisten before she responded in an equally roundabout manner that, yes, Dumbledore is dead, but that he would play a role in book seven. The next questioners, Salman Rushdie and his son, asked (the question was voiced by Mr. Rushdie), interwoven with many theories of his own, whether Dumbledore were dead and whether Snape good or evil. She was much firmer this time on the Dumbledore question. He is dead, and not about to do a Gandalf, a Lord of the Rings reference that went straight over my head. I must add that during this discussion, she mentioned the Dumbledore Is Not Dead website, and said that its adherents would be terribly unhappy. She advised to begin moving through the five stages of grief, the first being denial, the second, anger, saying however, that she didn't want us all to get angry right that moment. Her response on the Snape question was rather muted, stating to Mr. Rushdie that his opinion was correct. Given that his opinion covered both sides of the issue, one can put one's own interpretation on it. (Snape is good! Yay!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 10:17:59 PM by Cho Chung »

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »

Thanks, Cho! Those seem a bit more on the side of "She hasn't told us yet," which is what I would have expected.

10 points to Gryffindor! :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

There was a rumor posted on Mugglenet about how JKR was 750 pages into. She quickly debunked this on the website, saying that it would be worrying if she were 750 pages in, because she's only about halfway done.

Personally, I'm just hoping the door on her site will open again soon.  ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 07:57:08 AM »

She seems to think we wouldn't WANT a 1500 page book. Silly Jo. :D

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »

No kidding. 1500 pages would be awesome. Hey, did you guys hear what happened when Jo tried to fly back from the States? The airport security wanted her to check her book 7 manuscript with the rest of her luggage, but she refused.

Can you believe that? Like she's really going to hand over the only copy of book 7 to some burly security guard. I mean, since when are books a threat to homeland security? "I'm sorry, ma'am. You can't have that novel on this flight. You might use it to give paper cuts to the passengers."

She said if they hadn't eventually let her carry it on, she'd have sailed home. I don't doubt it, I would've too, in her shoes. ;D

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 01:02:22 PM »

Yeah I just read that yesterday and laughed.  Thankfully, some security guard had some common sense and decided that handwritten pieces of paper aren't a threat to national, international or passenger security.  LOL!

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »

I actually think the manuscript could inspire world peace - if she threatened to hold it until peace broke out, most of western civilization would likely comply.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

Haha, too bad most of the people who control America are the same kind of people who won't read Harry Potter because witchcraft is sinful.  ::)

Plus, I couldn't stand to wait for world peace to read the last book. In fact, reading it may be the only way I can stay sane with all the war going on.  ;D

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »

A group of women in ... uh, I forget which country now, but I think Venezuala tried to make their gang-member boyfriends stop fighting by refusing to sleep with them. This actually was a theme that occured a couple of times in Greek legend. (I think Euripides wrote the women giving up on the scheme out of desperation, 'cause the men weren't paying attention.)

I think withholding HP7 from the world might just lead to more violence, though. I would certainly not be trustworthy at that point, having gone clean off my head in agonize desperation. :D

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 08:46:33 PM »

I can't believe I'm the first person to post on this --  the cover for the new HP book has been unveiled: 

Wed Mar 28, 5:23 PM ET

NEW YORK - What picture shows a dramatic gold and orange sky and a teenage boy in glasses reaching upward?

It's the cover to the seventh and final Harry Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," coming out July 21. As always, the cover was designed by illustrator Mary GrandPre, U.S. publisher Scholastic, Inc., announced Wednesday.

"The structures around Harry show evident destruction and in the shadows behind him, we see outlines of other people," David Saylor, Scholastic's art director, said in a statement.

"For the first time, the cover is a wraparound. On the back cover spidery hands are outstretched toward Harry. Only when the book is opened does one see a powerful image of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, his glowing red eyes peering out from his hood."

J.K. Rowling's fantasy series has sold more than 325 million copies worldwide. "Deathly Hallows" has an announced first printing of 12 million in the United States alone.

The cover for the children's edition released by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, Rowling's British publisher, shows an adult-looking Harry, Hermione and Ron. The adult edition has a photograph of a locket bearing a serpentine "S" — believed to be the "horcrux" in which Lord Voldemort keeps a fragment of his soul.

To see the cover, click the link below:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_en_ot/books_potter_cover

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Hmm. As ever, I kinda like the British version better. :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »

Hmm. As ever, I kinda like the British version better. :)
The British children's version or the adult? Because I find the adult version kind of boring... or if not boring, at least not very revealing. :D I've been scouring the British children's and the US covers for information on what to expect in the book... and I guess I haven't gotten too much there, either, but I'll share what I've gathered.

In the US version on the wraparound part of the cover, you can see YKW stretching his hands out similarly to Harry. On that article up there it says that he's stretching them //toward// Harry, but I think both Harry and YKW are probably reaching out toward the same thing. I just wonder why there are so many people watching, and what's with the yellow curtains. The whole thing seems very theatrical. I even made jokes with my sister about how it looks like it's Harry and YKW starring in the Broadway production of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm trying to think what kind of place there would be that we've seen curtains and all I can think of would be the Ministry of Magic... where there's that platform thing or whatever and the veil is there and I //think// I remember something about curtains... does anyone else recall anything of this nature in book 5?

Now the Children's Version is kind of weird... I like the pretty picture of the castle on the back, but on the front, all three kids have weird expressions on, and even weirder positions. They look like they've just leaped through this arch in the back, but somehow Harry and Hermione are leaning forward, but Ron is falling over backward. Ron and Hermione look terrified, but they're looking in opposite directions which makes me think they're surrounded by something scary. Harry looks like he's a brown belt in Karate and he's going to chop off some Death Eater's heads with his bare hands, Jackie Chan-style. He's also got a cut on his left arm and, oh yeah, they're all surrounded by gold and jewels. Someone with pale hands and girly fingernails is holding a sword or a long dagger right behind Harry's back, with their other hand on Harry's right shoulder. And is that blonde hair I see? This just gets weirder and weirder, am I right?

So... any thoughts?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »

Obviously they have come through the Stargate, as we find out that LV's serpent-like qualities are actually because he was taken over by a goa'uld and retreated to P3X-62442, where within his mounds of treasure is stored a device capable of killing him.

Or not. :D

Seriously, though, I was surprised about the lots of gold and jewels. It seems like there may be a trip to Gringotts involved.

In the Wrap-around verion, Harry is wearing a pendant on his neck. Seems like pendants are all the rage this year in wizarding fash....

Erm, where was I?

So the arches, the curtains, the people watching, it all makes me think of the MoM, actually. There could be other places, and the people watching could be those LV has killed, or maybe the Deatheaters, but the outlines of their heads seems to suggest un-hooded types. They could, of course, just be a metaphor of something watching Harry.

I would initially vote for the curtain as being the veil, except it seems too solid to my mind. (And it's held open, but that could just be a symbol of one of the two of them having held open the veil to allow people to come out.

Except there's broken stone and wood on the ground, which makes me wonder if it's actually at somebody's broken-down house.

It sounds like we'll get to see a bit more of the Dursleys, and it'll be interesting to see if they've evolved at all after Dumbledore's lecture.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »

Obviously they have come through the Stargate, as we find out that LV's serpent-like qualities are actually because he was taken over by a goa'uld and retreated to P3X-62442, where within his mounds of treasure is stored a device capable of killing him.
*forehead slap* Of course! Why didn't I see it before?

So the arches, the curtains, the people watching, it all makes me think of the MoM, actually. There could be other places, and the people watching could be those LV has killed, or maybe the Deatheaters, but the outlines of their heads seems to suggest un-hooded types. They could, of course, just be a metaphor of something watching Harry.

I would initially vote for the curtain as being the veil, except it seems too solid to my mind. (And it's held open, but that could just be a symbol of one of the two of them having held open the veil to allow people to come out.

The MoM was kind of what I was getting at, too. I wasn't entirely clear on that. Were there curtains in that room besides the veil?

And I guess my question in response to the bolded parts I quoted above would be: has there been that kind of symbolism on GrandPre's covers as of yet? It seems to my (admittedly poor) memory that they've all depicted actual events from the book. Cover one, he's playing Quidditch, cover three, riding a hippogriff, cover six, looking down into the fake-locket-holding magic zombie-summoning bowl of weird make-Dumbledore-crazy juice... of course, it's possible that GrandPre would introduce new and exciting things to the illustrations this time, it being the last book and all, but I don't know.

Except there's broken stone and wood on the ground, which makes me wonder if it's actually at somebody's broken-down house.

Hmm... Yeah, that is curious. Godric's Hollow? It seems kind of fitting that the story would end there, since that's where it began.

Also, I was looking again at the UK Children's cover, and that thing that's clutching onto Harry looks too small and odd-colored to be human... could it be a house-elf maybe? Can you imagine if the trio had to drag Kreacher along on the Horcrux Hunt the whole time for some reason? Hilarity ensues.  ;D

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »

Dude, I totally didn't notice the house-elf-looking thing behind Harry. While I want it to be Dobby, it's probably Kreecher, since didn't Harry inherit him?

I don't know that there's been that sort of symbolic stuff before, no. But, uh, I couldn't think of anything else. :D

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

Obviously, they're both seekers in the greatest Gryffindor-Slytherin Quidditch match ever, and both are going after the Snitch, which is just off-stage right. 

Heh.

So, yeah, Shelly.  I agree with you that it looks more like Harry and LV are reaching for the same thing than that LV is reaching toward Harry.  Harry seems to be waiting for something to drop into his hand.  It would seem strange for them to be reaching for something, especially if it's not nailed down, since either of them could accio it.  So it makes me wonder if it's someone.

And I don't know what to make of the wood and stone.  For some reason it makes me think of the Riddle House, though obviously the Riddle House wasn't so surrounded by arches. 

The arches and veil do make me think of the MoM as well.  I don't recall enough detail, though, about the room in which the veil was to remember if it had arches. 

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »

I've actually had it in my head for a while that Fawkes is probably going to play a big role in this book, so I wonder if that could be what they're both reaching for?

I really need to reread the fifth book... too bad I left it at home when I came back to school. :(

*rips hair out in frustration* I really don't think I can wait 104 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes and 54 seconds, you guys!

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »

//touches wand to Shelly's head, restoring hair//

It's okay, dear.  We'll all wait together with you.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:38 PM »

I was listening to MuggleCast and PotterCast, and I must say, people pay way more attention to the cover art than I ever would have thought to do. Yay for wacky theories!

Anyway, a couple of things. One is that in the US Children's version, Harry's wearing something on his neck. Most people seem to assume it's the locket or maybe a pouch with something in it. What if it's the mirror?

I also didn't notice the fact that the kids look very beat up in the UK version.

And is that Prongs or Harry's patronus, do you suppose?

One Ping Only

scrappychick23

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • freaking amazing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2007, 10:23:59 PM »

oh my god!!!!!! if you have yet to go on you tube, look at this video!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1Z2XEWs9o

this is really scary cuz it quotes JKR!!!!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »

*shrug* Nothing we haven't heard before. JKR has been saying that for a long time, and putting her quotes into the video is just an attempt to give it a validity it doesn't have. They don't even hint at what their sources are. Unless and until I read it, I'm not going to believe anything.

-Ping the Doubting

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2007, 08:23:07 PM »

Am I remembering things incorrectly - I thought JKR said Harry was not a horcrux.  Am I mistaken?  If my memory is correct, then it should answer the video

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »

I believe she did say that, Heather.  Besides, the prophecy said "neither can live while the other survives," which I take to mean that neither is assured of the safety/security his life until the other is dead.  That doesn't communicate to me that both must die (though, I suppose that is technically possible). 

Guess we'll find out in LESS THAN TWO MONTHS!!!!!!

ahem.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 11:47:54 PM »

Wow, is there a source on the Harry-isn't-a-Horcrux quote? That would make me lean more towards, say, Voldy's wand.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »

Was it not on her website? 

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »

Bummed.  Just found out I'm going to be away at trial when Book 7 comes out.  I was supposed to be in trial for the whole month of June, but the judge pushed it back to July instead.  Think amazon will ship to a hotel....?

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa, I haven't heard anything about JKR denying that Harry's a horcrux. I can't find it in the Rumours section of the website, either... I'd be really bummed out, because I've been arguing pretty fiercely for the case that he IS a horcrux.

And Cho, I bet there's a way to get a package at the hotel... or, if you're going to be there for a whole month, you could probably get a PO Box.

Or you could always find a Borders and go to the midnight party! ^_^

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »

Most hotels will take packages for guests, so if you know the hotel address, you can do it that way. Or do the midnight party. I just have to decide which book store I'm going to crash for my midnight copy. :)

I hope she didn't quash the Harry/Horcrux theory, because it's my main source of speculation at this point.

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up