News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: London  (Read 163 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
London
« on: July 07, 2005, 07:46:16 AM »

I know several board members live in London.  I hope everyone is safe; my prayers are with you. 
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: London
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »

Oh, man. This is so messed up. My best friend is vacationing there, and I don't know how to get ahold of her; all the cell phone towers are down and I don't know whereabouts in England she is, but I know she was spending time in London. My thoughts are with everyone in London right now.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 10:32:28 AM »

This attack has me sick and angry, which is hard to hold at the same time. I hope everyone is okay! If anyone needs help, please let me know, and I'll do what I can. Or if you know of anyone that needs help.

It is odd that one of the things I noticed was that one of the stations hit is Kings Cross, supposed home of Platform 9 3/4. Does anyone have thoughts on relief or aid campaigns we could start based on this idea? I feel the need to do something.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:22:05 PM »

I do too - I am open to suggestions.  Growing up in the South, all you learn to do in times like these is make food to take to people.  I like the idea of an HP themed aid plan - count me in when we figure out what to do.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:33:18 PM »

If we could think of something along those lines, I'd be totally into helping any way I can. I don't know how much I could contribute, but I'd do what I could.

I'll try to think of something cool we could do, and get back to you if I think of something. *ponders*
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 11:08:42 PM »

The first thing that occured to me was a 9 3/4 theme. The Red Cross does a lot of work in disaster relief. What if we all pledge to give some variation of 9, 3, and 4? Like donate $34.90, or $9.34, or whatever you can afford?

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 05:10:04 PM »

The Red Cross of the UK has set up a special fund for the London bombings. This seems like it would be a good place to donate. Don't feel pressured, of course, but whatever you can contribute would be helpful!

One Ping Only

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »

I was just watching a CNN special, and they said the damage was worst at King's Cross.  It's kind of ironic that something as terrible as this would happen there just a week before the HBP release date. 

I'll look into donating, but that's ultimately up to my parents.  For now, doing my part means praying for all the Londoners, and the families that are still looking for lost loved ones.  The images they were showing of families with photographs, searching, were devastating.  It was like watching those 9/11 programs all over again.  My heart and prayers are with those people.
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

willow

• Hufflepuff
  • Second-year Student
  • look into my eyes, you will do my bidding now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »

It was awful, my uncle live in London and he forgot to phone my grandparents to say he was ok, they were so sacred! he's had so many near death scrapes, he walked past a building and then ten minutes later it was blown up!  :-\
High ho! High ho! Off to boarding school I go.... The joys of life. Woopee.

Cerberus

• Hufflepuff
  • Fifth-year
  • Bats aren't bugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 05:36:08 AM »

Well, I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that this Londoner here survived XD
Then again, I was packing my suitcase to go to Belgium that morning, and we were humming in the car when we got wind of what was happening (we drive to Belgium once a month). We left London five minutes before they shut all exits down, which was pretty lucky.
However, a friend of mine had to run to catch his train. If he hadn't gotten that one, he would have been in the train that exploded.
All in all, although I'm writing it in a light way, it was pretty traumatic for most people living here. Even now many people avoid taking the train because they fear an attack. I was once in a train where someone was trapped between two broken doors, and people misunderstood his screams of terror as they were  convinced that he realised there was a bomb, so in a matter of seconds people were yelling and banging on the doors and desperately trying to get out. It was very frightening =(
I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 07:36:40 AM »

*tackle hugs* Glad you were okay and your friend was an all!

I am definitely more alert riding trains in the DC area. It sucks to have to be so scared all the time!

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up