Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First semi-occasional avatar competition launched  (Read 187 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
First semi-occasional avatar competition launched
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:21:59 AM »

Below is the base image for the avatar. You can crop it any way you like, add textures and text and stuff, but not images from any other movie capture or book scan. (If you have questions on a particular method, let me know.) This should be, except for the base, your own work.

The rules (PLEASE READ!)

Avatars should be 100x100 pixels maximum. (Smaller is fine. You can also make larger if you want, but they just won't be valid for the contest.) Try to keep the file size under 40kb.

If there is any animation, it should NOT be seizure-inducing fast, nor should it be gaudy. Still avatars are preferable, but I will try to keep an open mind for tasteful animation. :)

Any text on the avatars should reflect the rules of the board (no swearing, nothing crass). Ask if you're not sure.

Each participant will get at least 10 points. You can submit multiple times, and you can get more points for avatars, BUT there must be a significant visual difference between the two, showing that you've put in at least the same amount of effort on both avatars. The winner will get an addition 20, making 30. The top 2-3 avatars will, with the makers' permission, be loaded up here at Hogsmeade for general use.

I have no idea how many avatars to expect, but if we get a lot, there will be at least a second place, and possibly a third.

To give those new to avatar-making time to practice, the contest will run for two weeks. The deadline is June 28th, 11:59 EDT (board time, hopefully).

To submit your images, you can email them to me at ping at hogsmeade dot us or you can upload them to your own web space and send me the URL. Don't post them as attachments, or other people will be able to see them and might steal your idea, and I don't feel like policing that.  :police:

Please post if you have any questions at all.

Also as a note, for the first contest, I will be the judge, but if it goes off really well, I may make it an option for the future to allow members to vote on the icons. So post on how you feel about that, too. It'd be anonymous, and you'd vote for several, probably, but let me know what you think.

Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: First semi-occasional avatar competition launched
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

A couple of really nit-picky questions to make sure I've got it straight:

Must the base image be used in the icon? If so, what is the extent to which it may be edited? Can I use extensive photo-editing, even to the point that it is almost unrecognizable from the original form? If the base image doesn't have to be used, is there any particular theme you're looking for? Or am I way overanalyzing the whole thing? ;D

Sorry, just wanted to make sure before I get too far into this, and wind up making something unsuitable. ^^;;

I also like the idea of voting, maybe in later contests, but if we don't have enough voters, we might have the problem of everyone simply voting for their own icons.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 02:19:25 PM »

Good questions! :) Yes, the base should be used in the icon. Photo editing up the wazoo is fine, but I'd like to at least be able to identify what part(s) of the picture it came from original, if that makes sense.

I'm not looking for any particular theme or anything. Just whatever strikes your fancy. :)

One Ping Only

Kaz(snape rules)

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • Im really into Harry Potter and love Alan Rickman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »

I would really like to join in but I have to say as I am still pritty new to all this computer stuff, I  have not got a clue what you are talking about let alone where to get started. Please think about us poor little soles who are still at the (doh what does that mean) stage!!!!!!! :roll:.......Kaz
Prof Snape rules...He's the best.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 07:16:44 AM »

I made this as an example for the contest.

Remember, you've still got over a week left to play!

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:00:41 AM »

Just a reminder that this contest closes on the 28th, so make sure you get your icons in. I've got several entries, but still plenty of room. 10 points for participating, remember!

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 03:41:35 PM »

I received three entries for the competition, one from Shelly, Christine, and Angelina. They were all excellent in their own ways, and judging was hard, but I decided that Angelina's icon wins, which earns her an addition 10 points, making 20 for her and 10 each for Christine and Shelly.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up