Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invisibility Cloaks  (Read 178 times)

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
Invisibility Cloaks
« on: May 23, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »

Okay, I'm reading the books over again and I just finished GoF.  One passage stuck in my mind and raised an interesting question.  It's towards the end, when Crouch Jr. is under the influence of the veritaserum.  He gets to the part where they are at the quidditch cup.  These lines are what caught me:

...I was starting to fight my father's Imperius Curse... It was like waking from a deep sleep.  I found myself out in public, in the middle of the match, and I saw, in front of me, a wand sticking out of a boy's pocket.  I had not been allowed a wand since before Azkaban.  I stole it.  Winky didn't know.  Winky is frightened of heights.  She had her face hidden.

The way he says that, it seems to imply that Winky would have been able to see him if she hadn't covered her face.  Does that mean that houes elves can see through Invisibility Cloaks? There are also times in the book when it seems that Mrs. Norris knows Harry is there, even though he is under his cloak.  Or can she just smell him? And surely if Moody has a magical eye that can see through them, there must be other magical tools to overcome them.  I wonder, exactly how hard it is to find a way around an Invisibility cloak?
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Invisibility Cloaks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:14 PM »

Great questions, Christine!  Take 5 points for posting them.

Um, I hadn't thought of the house elf thing.  It wouldn't surprise me if house elves could see through invisibility cloaks.  They certainly have lots of powerful magic, and if her "orders" were to keep an eye on Barty Jr., then she could have legitimately used her magic to see through the cloak (or however that works). 

I guess I always thought that Mrs. Norris could smell or maybe even hear whoever is under the cloak.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 07:59:45 PM »

I always thought that was a possibility with cats too, but the thing I don't get is why she doesn't "tell" Filch.  There seems to be some kind of communication between them because when she sees a student, she goes to get Filch and he goes running right to the spot.  But he never knows when Harry is under his cloak, even when Mrs. Norris seems to suspect something.  I don't get it.
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:32:53 AM »

Maybe because she can't really see anyone, she doesn't tell him anything.  All she knows is that she smells something funny/different.  But if there's no student there to catch, there's no reason to go running to Filch.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:02:20 PM »

If invisibility cloaks were all-protective, Harry's parents could have just used that and hid for a long time, so it seems obvious that there's more than just a magical eye that'll spot them. Yes? No? Maybe so?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:43:31 PM »

I agree that there are probably many magical objects that can see through them.  However, I don't think that would have worked for Lily and James.  I mean, with a secret keeper they can hide their entire house and belongings as well as themselves and Harry.  With just an invisibility cloak they would've had a hard time concealing themselves enough, at least I think so. They would've still had a home and things that belonged to them around that would have given away their location.
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

True, Christine.  On the other hand, I still think Ping's point is well-taken:  given the power of the dark magic that Voldemort and his followers can use, there has to be a lot more than could "detect" whatever's under an invisibility cloak.

That is your point, isn't it, Ping? 

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »

Yes, I think that was my point--that, because they didn't hide under it, we can assume it wouldn't have worked to try to hide under it.

I've always assumed that if you made noise under the cloak, people could hear it, and the smell would stay and stuff, which would be why Mrs. Norris knew Harry was around.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »

Yeah, that is a good explanation for Mrs. Norris.  But there's still the house elf question.  Do you think, based on that GoF passage, it's safe to assume that house elves can just naturally see through invisibility cloaks?  Or do you think that Winky used some of her elf magic so that she could?
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

Pages: [1]   Go Up