Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book 1, chapter by chapter  (Read 334 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Book 1, chapter by chapter
« on: May 08, 2005, 12:34:14 PM »

In preparation for the next book's eventual release, I decided to start re-reading the books. I thought I'd share my thoughts as I read. Perhaps it will spark some interesting discussion. Or just be amusing. :)

Chapter One: The Boy Who Lived

I don't really remember details of my first reading, or of my thoughts or opinions. It's good to read them again for myself, though. So much of my opinions tend to be influenced by outside sources. It's nice to get a fresh look, to remember what first appealed to me and why I love these books.

The first chapter begins, not with Harry, but with the Dursleys. Especially after book 5, I wonder if they will not play a more significant role in the upcoming books. Perhaps the series will wrap up with them, as it has begun. It would be interesting to find them more accepting of unusual things than they are at the beginning. If not, I think I might feel cheated, as if, despite everything else that Harry has been through, nothing has changed. That would be sad.

One thing that stood out to me this time is that Dumbledore appears without a sound, then disappears with a swish of his cloak. Did he apperate, or was he using the invisibility cloak? Not that it really matters, but I wonder.

I prefer this snapshot of McGonagall, rather than what the movie shows. She's more of Dumbledore's equal in the movies, while in the book, it's more of a mentoring relationship. This is partly because it explains why, despite her objections, Dumbledore leaves Harry with the family. If she were more his equal, her opinion should carry more weight. Not that I don't understand why the movie did things the way they did. I just like the books better. Big surprise, eh? ;)

In this chapter, we first hear of Sirius Black. I remember that, when the name was reintroduced in Prisoner of Azkaban, I had to go back and find where I'd read it before. So sad that I can remember book names a lot easier than names of people I actually meet.  :-[ Anyway, there has been some discussion on where Sirius's bike ended up. Hagrid flew off with it to take it back to Sirius. Do you suppose he made it back to Sirius, or had Black gone off already on his quest for Peter Pettigrew?

Feel free to add comments, opinions, etc. I'll post for each chapter. There may be more than one post a day, since I don't think I have enough time to do this before book 6 comes out if I don't. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Chapter Two: The Vanishing Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 05:57:12 AM »

I have serious questions here. And this falls into the American vs. the British versions. In the movie, the snake says he's from Burma. In my book, it says Brazil. Which way is it in the British books? If he's from Burma, does he still say "Thanksss, amigo," which is one of my favorite lines? There are several things at the zoo that seem to be changed from British to American. Makes me want the British versions, dang it!

I remember being flabbergasted at how insistent the Dursleys were that Harry would blow something up if they left him alone. Until we found out that odd stuff kept happening around him, anyway. Then it wasn't quite so insane. Nearly, though.

Poor kid!

I'm surprised, though, at the things he remembers--the explosion, the pain, the flash of green light, the flying motorcycle... Am I the only one who can't remember stuff from the first year of life? Because my memories are nowhere near so vivid! Do you suppose this is a magical thing, or just a Harry thing?

I've also discovered that it's hard to do just one chapter at a time. Because I don't like to stop reading!

And I still prefer the books, because Dudley being trapped behind the glass was okay, but nowhere near as subtle and amusing as his and Piers's over-the-top reaction to it.

One Ping Only

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
Re: Book 1, chapter by chapter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:56:06 PM »

You know, this is a really good idea, bt I know I wouldn't be able to read one chapter at a time and then come and write about it. It just wouldn't be possible.
I just checked the UK version of the book, and it does say Brazil, and the snake still says, "Thanksss Amigo."

I only remember one thing from my first year of life, and it's not very vivd. In fact, sometimes I doubt whether it happened or not.
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »

Wasn't he more like 18 months when his parents died?  Or am I making that up?

Not that that would matter much.  I don't remember anything from my first or second year of life....
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:58 PM »

I guess technically it was October, IIRC, so around 13 months, I think. A bit older, but still seems too young. Oh well.

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Chapter 3: The Letters From No One
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 08:22:01 PM »

It is very hard to confine myself to one chapter at a time! I think I need to find another book to read at the same time. Maybe Eragon.

There's not a lot that occurs to me about this chapter, except perhaps the feeling of unreality surrounding Mr. Dursley's actions. They seem very extreme. Then again, if I thought wizards were coming after my family... maybe I would over-react as well.

Okay, probably not. I'd probably be upset they hadn't come for me earlier! :D

One thought I did have is that, since the letters are from Pro. McGonagall, and are inked in green, it makes more sense that she's the one sending them. I always assumed it was Hagrid, but reading it through this time, it seems that there's just too much magic. Not sure, though. Not really important. not as important as me getting to read the next chapter.  :roll:

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Chapter 4: The Keeper of the Keys
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 09:15:32 PM »

Okay, so I was wrong--Hagrid does mention trying to get the letters to Harry, saying the chance to do some magic is partly why he took the job.

Do you suppose Hagrid's broken wand will make a reappearance? Since he was falsely expelled, will he get a new wand? Apparently not, from what we've seen, but why not? And does Hagrid do magic on accident occasionally, as Harry did? It seems a common thing, and that it's possible to do uncontrolled, "unspelled" magic. Do we see any evidence of Hagrid doing magic, outside of the letter delivery and umbrella trick?

Something else has occured to me that, well, quite frankly bothers me. Dumbledore wants everyone to say "Voldemort," instead of "You-Know-Who" and other such nonsense. Yet he also knows that Voldemort's real name is Tom Riddle, and he addresses him by this name in Book 5, if I'm not very much mistaken. Why does he not spread this name among the wizarding world? I would imagine that knowing that Tom Riddle was going around as some dark wizard calling himself Voldemort would put a serious crimp in said dark wizard's style. It's hard to be menacing when people are saying, "Oh, look, it's ickle Tommy Riddle..."

Sometimes I can come up with a plausible explanation for my questions, but for this one I can't. Any thoughts?

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:39:07 PM »

Maybe in the gap in the timeline when we don't know what YKW was up to, he did something (some dark magic, some potion, etc.) that was so drastic that he truly is not the same person. I'm not sure, though. Maybe YKW has thick enough skin that "ickle Tommykins" doesn't faze him that much?

Although I did just have a rather amusing scene play out in my head. It's the final battle, Harry vs. Voldemort, the fighting is intense, unforgivables flying all over, Harry dodges, he's cornered! Voldemort advances, reading to deal the final blow, the entire world bites their nails, reading on the edge of their seats! Off to the side somewhere, Dumbledore steps in and interferes--

Dumbledore: Hey, Timmy Roddle!!
YKW: The names Tommy! I mean Tom! No--I mean *clears throat* I am Volde-
Harry: Reducto!
YKW: *explodes*

Okay, that was random. ^_^ This is a good idea you have here, btw. I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing for a while, only with the third book, because I still have trouble understanding the time travel dealie. O_o
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 06:27:24 AM »

See, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about! :D

If you wanna do it for book three, feel free to start another thread. :D

One Ping Only

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 10:20:48 AM »

Cool idea. :D *wishes she brought the HP books to uni, too..*

As for the movie!snake vs book!snake in the zoo, I thought it was because the real London zoo didn't have a Brazillian snake or something ... could be wrong though.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 10:49:16 AM »

Ah, that makes sense, Xan. I hadn't considered that. I just want to know if the snake ever actually made it all the way to Brazil. :D

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 07:47:11 PM »

Ping, I always thought that it was McGonagall who was trying to get the letters to Harry, too.  I guess I assumed that Hagrid's comment about using a little bit of magic had to do with the trip that he took to bring the letter to Harry personally.

But now you've got me pondering....

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Chapter Five: Diagon Alley
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 01:13:52 PM »

Wherein Ping reveals her ignorance. I tend to think of "London" as anything around London. But then, I say I live in DC, even though I'm really outside of it. So I guess I'm in the DC metro area, if you wanna get technical. Anyway, it makes me wonder where in relation to London the Dursleys live. Is it a suburb, or another part of England entirely? My geography breaks down when we get more specific than "England, Wales, and Scotland." :)

Hagrid says he flew to the rock, but we see no evidence of a broomstick or any other methods. How do you suppose he got there? Flew on the umbrella? The missing motorcycle? Or maybe not, since it would be stuck on the island, and sounds pretty obvious.

Quirrell seems to not have the turban at this point, which fits with what I assume he meant when he talks about his failure and Voldemort watching him more after that.

I can't think of much else that really stands out that we haven't talked about over and over and over and over again. :D

One Ping Only

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 4: The Keeper of the Keys
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 09:38:35 PM »

Do you suppose Hagrid's broken wand will make a reappearance? Since he was falsely expelled, will he get a new wand? Apparently not, from what we've seen, but why not? And does Hagrid do magic on accident occasionally, as Harry did? It seems a common thing, and that it's possible to do uncontrolled, "unspelled" magic. Do we see any evidence of Hagrid doing magic, outside of the letter delivery and umbrella trick?

And it's interesting that Hagrid is forbidden from doing magic by the Ministry, yet why don't they keep track of it when he does? They do when it's unauthorized student use, but not when someone's actually had their magical privileges revoked ? That doesn't make sense.
Who are you people, and where have you hidden my dignity?

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »

And OH MY GOSH.

I almost forgot my biggest question and source of confusion.

In Half Blood Prince, we find out that no one's held the DADA position for longer than a year since Dumbledore refused to give it to Tom Riddle.

Well, in the first book, we find out from Hagrid, that Quirrell was a DADA teacher, and then he took a year off to go abroad, and then we he came back, he was never the same.

If he took a year off, then he's been teaching at least 2 years (one year on, one year off, one year on), so what's up with that???  Does Dumbledore not count him since he was semi-possessed by Voldemort?

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 09:20:09 PM »

Good catch - I imagine you are right.  Does this mean, in literal since, that Tom Riddle was the DADA teacher (if he was possessing Quirrel)?  Also, what secrets of the school could Voldemort have researched while possessing Quirrel?
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »

Also, what secrets of the school could Voldemort have researched while possessing Quirrel?

Oooo, creepy thought! Hadn't considered that aspect of things. Voldy was basically at Hogwarts for a whole year!

That implies that maybe one of the Horcruxes did get put there so Harry will have to go back.

I just don't want Harry to drop out! Ya know?

One Ping Only

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »

Also, what secrets of the school could Voldemort have researched while possessing Quirrel?

Oooo, creepy thought! Hadn't considered that aspect of things. Voldy was basically at Hogwarts for a whole year!

That implies that maybe one of the Horcruxes did get put there so Harry will have to go back.

I just don't want Harry to drop out! Ya know?

I love Hogwarts so much, I can't bear the thought of a book without a strong Hogwarts presence, but it will be fascinating to learn about other wizarding countries!
As for Voldemrot and Quirrell, I dunno. Would Voldemort have trusted Quirrell enough to look for a horcrux while in Quirrell's body?

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »

Good point, Carolyn.  I'm going to stand by an earlier post that I made elsewhere and say that I think LV's horcruxes were well in-place before he ever went to try to kill Harry.  I don't think he would leave it to chance that he'd have an opportunity to hide it some other time.  My guess is that he would hide a horcrux and place tons of protections around it as soon after it is made as possible. 

That being said, I don't think he would have had needed Quirrell to look for a horcrux.   And I don't think he would have trusted Quirrell to hide one, either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up