Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ron is Dumbledore?  (Read 184 times)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Ron is Dumbledore?
« on: April 08, 2005, 10:42:57 PM »

I read an idea on the internet a week or so back that seems, especially at first glance, to be a very extreme T-Shirt winning idea. But the more I read about it, the more plausible it becomes. I'm still not ready to accept it totally yet, but I was wondering what you guys think.

Gee, Shelly, aren't you going to actually tell up anything about the theory?

Sure, sure I will. The very basic-est idea of it is that Ron Weasley, at some point in the future, travels back in time and becomes the person who is now known as Albus Dumbledore.

The entire text of the theory, which of course describes it much more eloquently than I, can be found here. But for those who don't want to read that whole thing, I shall do my best to describe it, short version.

The people who came up with that theory are also running on the theory that JKR is using chess as a running metaphor for the Second War, or even the entire series, and that the chess game at the end of book 1 had high significance. Dumbledore play the part of the black king, Ron is the knight (which is appropriate to the theory, because in the chess game in SS, Ron both played as a knight, and as a so called "king" by leading the other pieces.) Harry and Neville are the bishops (If Harry is taken out, Neville is Dumbledore's backup.) Voldemort is the white king, Bella is the white queen, the list goes on.

Harry describes both Ron and Dumbledore as being tall, thin, and having long noses. Dumbledore has long fingers, Ron is noted as having "big hands and feet" which of course implies long fingers. Dumbledore has a scar on his left knee in the shape of the London Underground. Ron had his left leg severely broken by a dog in PoA. More resemblances are listed in the essay.

There is another key fact, one of the main things that makes me attracted to this theory. Dumbledore states at one point that he hasn't liked Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans since he came across a vomit flavored one in his youth. Bertie Botts Beans were invented in 1955, about 40 years before Dumbledore says this. Most people estimate Dumbledore at 100-150 years old, which would put him somewhere between 60 and 110 when the jelly beans were first invented. This can't be considered "youth" even by Dumbledore's standards.

There are a lot more interesting examples in the text, but these are a few of the main points.

So my question is; what do you think? Is this nothing but someone's crazy, over-developed, illogical, half-baked idea? Or are they really onto something here?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 11:12:34 PM by SeaShelly3 »
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: Ron is Dumbledore?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »

If the series hadn't already dealt with time travel, I might think it possible, but with the way things stand now, I have a hard time buying it. We've seen the time turners and how careful they had to be to avoid meeting their past selves. If Dumbledore was Ron, he surely wouldn't want to meet his old self, right?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »

On the site, they seem to think the opposite. They say that every idea JKR has used, has been used the first time as introductory, and then again as being instrumental to the plot. She introduced animagi at the beginning of book one, and went into more detail in book 3, with Professor McGonagall and the Marauders. Same idea applies to house elves, polyjuice potion, and the powers of a phoenix. JKR seems to recycle her ideas into bigger and more important things.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 12:08:43 AM »

Ha ha ha. Oh, sweet irony. I posted this just over an hour ago, and I just this second read that JKR denied it on her website under the Rumours section. I find that funny, in an embarrassing sort of way. *dies of laughing shame*

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »

Lol! Well, no worries. Obviously it was important enough and wide-spread enough that she did deny it, so it's all good. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 02:43:07 PM »

Even though it's not true, it's still interesting. Maybe the similarities are still going prominent to the series, but in a different way. Couldn't Ron be like Dumbledore's long lost relative or something? Seems plausible to me.....

Since Dumbledore is so old, he could have fathered a child a hundred or so years ago, have never known, and then that child could have married and had children and known nothing of having him as their father. Dumbledore could be like Ron's great-grandfather or something.
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up