Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5th Book!  (Read 199 times)

Moon_Beam

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • I'm A Uk girl
    • View Profile
    • Just Relax and Chill!
5th Book!
« on: February 27, 2005, 08:02:22 AM »

Loads of people think the 5th hp book is boring! Now in a way I agree! Theres a li'l bit in it thats boring ::) but Most of it is really good! I like the bit in St Mungos the best! Tell me youre opinion on the book n whats youre fave part?
Don't kiss behind the fence! Love is blind but the neighbers arent!

mismay

Re: 5th Book!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:51:30 AM »

I believe that the 5th book isn't as exciting as the others but i think it is building up to the 6th.  I thought that a lot of my questions were left unanswered. Ex: Percy Weasly???

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:55:50 AM »

I agree, mismay. Part of the problem for me was that I read it at breakneck speed to try and find out who was gonna die. That impacted my reading of it a lot. One of these days, I'll go back and read them all again. Like when I go to Siberia and have to be on a plane for twelve hours.  :-\
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »

Wait, you're going to Siberia, Ping? Or was that a joke that I totally missed...?

Anyways, I liked the fifth, but it wasn't my favorite. I've only read it about eight or ten times, so I haven't gotten it as deeply as the other ones, but I liked the heightened sense of emotion. Sometimes, it went way too far with Harry being overemotional, and too frequently, also.

My favorite part of OoP was probably when Harry learns Occlumency, though. I thought that was well written and interesting.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 07:49:45 PM »

Well, I might be, except our travel budget is over-extended. So I may have to wait until the summer. Oh darn. ;)

I kept wondering when someone was going to get Harry some grief counseling. It was frustrating.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:44:47 PM »

That's how I felt the first time I read it, but I've been reading it again, and I started *immediately* after putting down GoF, which made it all make a lot more sense.  I realized that the reason I hadn't read it a second time yet was because of Umbridge.  I have never had such a powerful reaction to a fictional character.  Ever.  She may not *really* be the most evil character I've ever read about, but she *feels* that way.  She just - *shudders* ooooh, I really don't like her.

Anyway, other than that, I've really enjoyed it my second time through so far.  Even more than the first time (and I had to read it more slowly than any of the others because I was reading it aloud to my husband and promised not to get ahead of him while he was at work because then I'd read to myself while he was home, too, and he'd never get to hear it (too busy with work.))  We did get a lot of really interesting information, I thought, but of course there are so many more questions that come with that information.

Geez, this makes me wonder how Jo's going to pull off book seven!  There are so many questions we have, and I suspect a lot of them will never really be answered.  What are we going to do?  I hope people don't get mad at her for not fitting every little thing in, but are we ever going to get answers to our questions?   :-[

My favorite part of book five (from what I've read) is when Harry is talking to Sirius and Lupin about his dad, and what a dork he was as a fifteen-year-old.  heh heh heh.  It was cute, and gosh darn it, I just like Lupin a lot.   ;D
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »

See, there were lots of things I didn't like:  I didn't like Harrys' over-emotionalism, as Shelly put it.  I didn't like the squabbling between all the Order, especially Mrs. Weasley and everyone else.  I don't remember her being so darn annoying before.  I didn't like that Hermione seemed to have all the right answers for absolutely everything -- even more than normal.  I did like that Ginny became a bit more, well, real.  But even that I thought went a bit far.  Too much too fast too sudden. 

I guess that I felt like the characters lost some depth in book 5, became a bit more caricature-like rather than 3-D. 

That's my primary assessment.  I liked the end, though.  Especially the duel between LV and Dumbledore.  Very cool.

Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »

I liked OoP.  It's not my favorite but I still liked it.

When I first read it, it seemed like Harry was very very Angry all the time.  That was rather annoying.  But I too had the anger towards Umbridge, I have never hated a character so much before in my life.

I do need to read them all again.  Maybe my fiance and I can sit down and read them together so we can be ready for book 6. I dont' think we'lll be seeing much of each other when the book comes out in July.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 08:36:19 PM »

I actually like OotP the best. My favorite scene would have to be a toss up between when Harry's in the Pensieve seeing his father and when they're in Dumbledore's office after the DoM. And finally there's a teacher nasty enough to take some of the heat off Snape!
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up