Author Topic: Step into the Role Play...  (Read 314 times)

Offline SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Step into the Role Play...
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:48:54 AM »
Shelly grunted and heaved her weight behind the trunk holding all her belongings. She strained and pushed, willing the stupid trunk to move. It shifted about three centimeters before Shelly fell over, once again, to her knees. She turned around and sat, leaning her back against the side of the large trunk, taking a moment to catch her breath and wipe the sweat out of her eyes.

It was sure amazing how much life had changed in the past week. An emotional roller coaster, one might say. She had seriously thought her life was over when she was expelled, and the moment her wand was snapped in half had surely been her darkest hour. But not long after, Dumbledore had done the last thing anybody, least of all Shelly, had expected and offered to let her stay on as Keeper of the Keys. Of course, he had required a public apology and restitution, but it had been well worth it to be allowed to avoid being a muggle burger-flipper for the rest of eternity.

She had confronted the angry Great Hall one morning during breakfast and offered a humble apology, (well, as humble as Shelly could ever be, anyways.) It hadn't been easy to face the accusing stares. Shelly was well aware that much of the staff and student body hadn't approved of Dumbledore's decision, but he stood by it, and for that, Shelly was incredibly grateful.

She had spent most of the last week scrubbing the halls, the dungeons, and the Gryffindor common room, all of which had borne the brunt of Shelly's short temper. She was amazed herself at how much mayhem she had caused, and it still brought a slight flush of shame to remember the incident. She hadn't yet had the opportunity to speak to any of the students, or indeed, anyone but Dumbledore. Shelly slept in a spare bed in the hospital wing, and spent her days cleaning. Still, it was all worth it.

Then, just hours ago. when she had finished the last of the restitution, Dumbledore had given Shelly her own office. Granted, it was nothing more than a swept-out rather large broom cupboard on the ground floor (Shelly had heard Filch grumbling about how he needed that cupboard) but it was really all hers! There was a desk crammed into one corner and a dingy chandelier on the opposite wall, and a bare four-poster bed behind a curtain on the east wall, but Shelly was determined to brighten it up a bit. Which brought her back to the trunk.

Shelly didn't even want to think about moving this trunk down seven flights of stairs. Without even thinking, she reached into her pocket and retrieved the four inches of what remained of her wand. She stared at it thoughtfully for a second. It would certainly make things easier... no. Shelly pocketed the wand as quickly as she had removed it. She wouldn't betray Dumbledore's trust like that. Not after he had vouched for her, given her everything.

Shelly stood up and threw herself at the trunk again, this time moving it several inches. Aha! Progress! she thought triumphantly. She continued in this vein for several minutes, moving the trunk in spurts. Finally, she arrived at the first set of stairs. She started to push the trunk, but stopped suddenly. Wait, that's pretty stupid, isn't it, Shelly? It'll just go flying down the stairs and burst open, won't it? Proud of herself for avoiding a disaster, Shelly walked to the other side of the trunk and pulled it. However, she had misjugded her distance from the top step. Her foot dropped unexpectedly, and her other foot automatically flew out behind her to compensate. She fell down painfully, and with both hands still locked on the trunk handle, the trunk started down the stairs.

Shelly was pushed backwards and tumbled down the stairs, with the trunk landing on her every step of the way. About two-thirds of the way down, her left arm sank to the shoulder in a trick step, but the rest of Shelly flipped over with the extra momentum, wrenching said shoulder. To add insult to injury, the trunk landed at the bottom of the stairs, popping its lock and scattering the sixth floor with Shelly's underwear, chess set, and posters of the Weird Sisters, along with the rest of her belongings.

"Great," Shelly said aloud. "Fantastic." She tried to get her arm out of the stair, but her shoulder objected loudly and she went still. "Leave it to me to hurt myself while moving a trunk." Besides, with her luck, someone would be along any minute.

[OOC: Wow, this came out to be pretty long. But I felt like I had to add some closure to the old story. Call it an obsessive-compulsive thing.  ;D]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:30:54 PM by SeaShelly3 »
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
Re: Step into the Role Play...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 08:15:29 AM »
OOC - And just your luck, it happens to be a Slytherin. ;D Just posting a quickie ...

Xan strolled down the corridor, barely paying attention to where she was going. The majority of her concentration was focused on rifling through her bag for the scrap of parchment she'd written her Charms homework assignment on. I need a filing system, she thought as she pulled out a textbook and shook it open just to see if the parchment in question was inside. No such luck, though. She was so focused on what she was doing that by the time she found it, a few minutes later, she realized she was heading in the wrong direction.

"Darn," Xan muttered, hastily shoving the parchment into a pocket. She had been heading towards the library to get some materials for the assignment ... but she had ended up near the stairs instead. The Slytherin had just turned around to retrace her steps when she heard a loud banging noise. Frowning, she looked back over her shoulder. That sounded like something heavy being dropped ...

Curious now, she went to investigate and came across a rather ... odd ... sight. A large trunk had burst open at the bottom of the stairs, and as Xan's gaze travelled upwards, she saw the trunk's owner. Well well, who do we have here? A slight grin began to form on her face as she recognised the witch lying halfway down the stairs with one arm stuck in the trick step, the one and only Shelly. Xan recalled watching her get expelled from around the corner and dragging YamNeo away when they had been about to be discovered. As far as she knew, though, Shelly hadn't talked to anyone since then, aside from the time she popped up in the Great Hall one morning and apologised to the entire school.

All that meant that this would be an incredibly interesting encounter. She hadn't been on friendly terms with Shelly even before her expulsion - mostly because the other witch had been a Gryffindor and two years her senior - but it wasn't like Xan had anything better to do. Charms could definitely wait. She walked up to the bottom of the stairs, stepped around the miscellaneous debris around the open trunk with a slight smirk, and looked at Shelly.

"Need a hand?" Xan asked, a touch wryly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:21:10 AM by Xan »
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 03:20:19 PM »
Shelly didn't look up. She sighed a huge sigh of relief and said "Oh, thank you so much, if you could just help... me... out..."

Shelly faded out into nothing when she saw who she was addressing. "No, Xan. No, I don't need a thing. I'm fine. Perfectly fine. Move along now." She said all this rather quickly.

"Tch. Fine." The Slytherin said. "Suit yourself."

Shelly watched Xan slowly idle away, but she had only gone a few steps before Shelly called out. Well, why not? she thought. It's not like my pride hasn't suffered enough this week.

"Come back." Shelly sighed submissively. "Could you just... help me... out of the stair?"

Xan put her finger to her chin and seemed to be deliberating whether to help. Extremely sarcastically, of course. Shelly lashed out, the pain in her shoulder now considerable.

"Oh, come on! Just pull me out! I'd do it myself, but... you know... the wand? I... can't." Truth be told, Shelly wanted more than anything to just use magic to get out of the step, gather her stuff, and get back to her office, but it was still out of the question. She sighed deeply and stretched her hand out to Xan, feeling her pride slip yet another notch.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 09:43:22 PM »
Xan's smirk widened. She'd deliberately moved off slowly, knowing full well that Shelly would have to change her mind and ask for help, or be stuck there for a few more hours. As it turned out, she had picked the first option ... and Xan was too much of a Slytherin not to milk it for all it was worth.

"Oh, all right," she sighed, with a feigned air of resignation. The look she gave Shelly was half patronizing, half incredibly amused by the older witch's predicament. Inwardly, she grinned. It's not every day I get to talk down to someone older than me. Xan walked up the stairs to where Shelly was lying and hauled her to her feet rather unceremoniously. She took care to plant her feet correctly before doing that; it would be really, really stupid if she pulled Shelly out but also went tumbling down the stairs after doing so. Once Shelly was standing - and rubbing her shoulder, Xan noticed - the Slytherin turned and looked down at the stuff strewn all over the floor.

"How did you manage to get yourself into this mess, anyway?" she asked snidely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 09:45:26 PM by Xan »

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 04:44:44 AM »
Shelly scowled furiously. She wished she could think of something witty to say, but she had nothing. So instead she just mumbled "Fell down the stairs. Duh," before turning to gather up the scattered contents of her trunk. She could feel herself blushing. She knew Xan would be enjoying this immensely. Typical Slytherin she thought. To laugh at someone else's misfortune. Then she remembered she was supposed to be learning to not be prejudiced against other houses. It wasn't as though she was a Gryffindor anymore anyways. She didn't need to be on her little Slytherampage anymore. "Oh, yeah," she said, trying to be polite. "And... uh... thanks."

Before Xan could respond sarcastically, she trned her back on Xan and began to fill her arms full of knickknacks, t-shirts, her toothbrush, and pillowcases, hoping that Xan would take the hint and leave. Of course, she didn't. She unceremoniously dumped the stuff in the trunk, knowing it would never fit all back in again. She had taken an hour to shove everything she owned into this trunk just so, and she wasn't about to spend that long again, not with her underwear littering the sixth floor.

Xan just stood there annoyingly as Shelly loaded everything into the trunk. The final result was that she had an open trunk with stuff piled into it three feet above the rim of the lid. Shelly, never the patient one of the bunch, went behind the trunk and tried to shut the lid anyways. She tried to push it closed, tried shoving the stuff deeper, sat on the lid, but accomplished nothing more than increased pain in her bruised shoulder. Tired of it all, tired of being embarrassed, she turned to Xan again.

"Do you have a rope?" she said, slightly aggressively.
"A-what?" said Xan, slightly flabbergastedly.
"A rope! I just need a rope. Then I can tie this," Shelly uttered an expletive, "trunk closed and drag it to my office."

Offline Permlessgirl

• Ravenclaw
  • Prefect
  • Fourth-year Student
  • "S'up Figgy?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »
It had been completely unlike her to sleep in past breakfast, but after a late night up studying in the library, Permlessgirl had woken to find herself alone in the girls dormitory. As she passed through the common room she stopped to pull on her shoes, then headed out, around a few bends, and down the stairs toward the great hall. 

Rubbing her eyes, she realized how lucky she had been to sleep in on a Saturday. She could only imagine with horror what might have happened to her if she were late for class. Her wandering thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a loud crashing sound from further down. As she continued, she started the hear voices. Finally reaching the scene, she saw Xan and Shelley at the foot of the stairs staring at a large half-opened trunk.

"Good morning" she said casually, glancing inquiringly at the trunk. "Do you need any help with that?"
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,"

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:34:25 PM »
Shelly was acting strangely. After seeing nobody for a week, she thought she had been quite keen to talk to someone, but all of a sudden, she felt like she wanted to be alone again.

"Help?! Who needs help?! What is this, some kind of 'Everyone Make Fun Of Shelly Day?!' I can manage perfectly well on my own!!"

She sat roughly on the lid of the trunk again, willing it to close. And close it did, in a sense. The entire trunk fell apart at the seams and Shelly went crashing to the floor, sitting on top of a trunk lid which was sitting on top of all of Shelly's possesions.

"Well," said Shelly, slightly chagrined, and staring at her stuff whcih was once again spread liberally throughout the hall. "I guess I could use a little help."

Shelly had been hoping that Xan would find it in her heart to help her pack, seeing as how it was a simple thing to do that would have helped Shelly out a buch, but now PG was here, and Shelly could probably ask her without feeling quite as awkward. She had always gotten along with the Ravenclaws, almost as well as she had with the Gryffindors. If only AZ or Mad or someone were to show up, that would have been best, though.

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »
OOC - Sorry. Been busy. :(

Xan crossed her arms and leaned against the wall, watching Shelly pack. If what she was doing could be called packing ... it looked more like dumping everything into the trunk, really. Which was actually quite amusing to watch, because by the end of it she was wondering if it would close. She debated whether to help or not, but since she wasn't much better at packing than Shelly apparently was, she wouldn't be much help.

Before she could reply to Shelly's request for a rope - I wonder why she thinks I'd have one on me in the first place. Or maybe she just thinks I'm good at conjuring - someone else, a Ravenclaw, walked in on the scene. As a result, Shelly seemed to lose it completely and sat on her trunk, breaking it apart at the seams.

Now Xan was starting to feel a bit bad. Slytherin she was, but she wasn't totally heartless. "I don't think you'll need the rope anymore," she commented dryly, producing her wand. "Looks more like you need a new trunk, but - Reparo!" She aimed the spell at the trunk, which magically reassembled itself. Thankfully, Xan's practical Charms had always been good. Unfortunately, she had forgotten that Shelly was still on the trunk, and when its pieces came back together the top of the trunk - which the ex-Gryffindor was sitting on - rose a few inches to accomodate the trunk sides and toppled Shelly a little unceremoniously onto the ground.

Xan's mouth twitched slightly. "Oops. Well, at least your trunk is back in one piece, no?"

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 11:10:37 PM »
[OOC: No problem. ;D)

Shelly, yet again, picked herself off the ground with an ease that only came from being dumped on the ground as often as she was. Much more than the topple, she was irritated at her inability to perform a simple task such as repairing her trunk. She gritted her teeth and thanked Xan, proceeding to pack the trunk. Again. She made small talk with Xan and PG while she packed, carefully avoiding the topic of her expulsion. Though she thought they might want to talk about, Shelly certainly didn't.

Once again, Shelly was such an awful and slow packer that the trunk wouldn't close, though it was closer than before. She was sure that with just one... more... inch... she could latch it.

Shelly got a glint in her eye that Xan and PG, even though they weren't the closest of acquaintances with Shelly while she was at school, had come to find out meant immenent trouble. Had Mad or Cho been present, they would have been running for the hills. She got slightly shifty-eyed and sat down next to the trunk. She slipped her hand casually into her pocket and muttered something, disguising it poorly as a cough. Suddenly, the contents of the trunk were no longer to be seen. No, wait. They were just squeezed very tightly into the very bottom of the trunk.

Shelly felt horrible about using magic when she had been forbidden, but it wasn't like she was hurting anything, right? And... and it was only one time, right? No harm done... Right?!

Shelly stood up slowly and looked guiltily at her two former schoolmates. With a look that quite clearly said "This never happened. You didn't see a thing." she lifted her trunk with ease, thanked them once more and turned to leave.

Offline Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 01:28:02 PM »
Cho had just reached the top of the stairs and had started to descend when she saw the gathering of the Ravenclaw, Slytherin, former-Gryffindor, and overflowing trunk.

As she observed them out of curiosity, she thought she saw Shelly stick her hand in her pockets, and cough, and then the lid of the trunk clunked shut, no longer overflowing. 

Cho stopped in mid-step, closed her eyes, and shook her head.  'No!' she thought.  'No! No! No!'  She couldn't believe it.  Shelly hadn't been expelled for a month before she began breaking even more rules!  Out of habit, Cho's mind began racing as she considered all the different ways she could fish Shelly out of this mess, as mess it was likely to be. 

Certainly the Ministry kept tabs on magic done by people who weren't supposed to have wands.  Certainly an owl would soon appear with a letter from the Ministry telling Shelly that she was to be expelled even more from the wizarding community.  Certainly Dumbledore had some sort of magic detector in that huge beard of his.  Certainly ....

But then Cho stopped.  She remembered that Shelly was no longer a Gryffindor, and she, Cho, no longer had responsibility to mop up Shelly's antics and do damage control for Gryffindor!  With this realization came a light, airy feeling, as if a 10-ton dragon had just been lifted off her shoulders.  Cho felt a little guilty about being so happy about it, but really, she had had to do some serious mop up over the years. ...

Cho shuddered as her mind flashed through snapshots of the messes she'd tried to fish Shelly out of in the past.  'No.' she told herself, as she began to develop a nervous tic.  'That's the past.  Let it go.  She's not a Gryffindor anymore.'  The tic subsided and the shuddering passed.  The feeling of lightness returned, though a bit dampened.  'After all,' she thought, 'even if she's not a Gryffindor, anywhere Shelly goes, chaos follows soon after.'

Cho began to step down the stairs toward the gathering of people, seemingly without any dread.  Cho was a good actress.....

"So," she said lightly, "what's going on here?"
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 05:25:38 PM »
[OOC: Oh, come on Cho, you can't really have expected Shelly to last long, did you?  ;D]

Shelly spun around and looked at Cho and dropped the trunk out of surprise. She felt compelled to scream in joy and rush forward and hug her, having not seen a Gryffindor in over a week. Shelly stopped short though. Almost as though it were a sixth sense, Shelly could very faintly detect some unease within Cho. For the first time since before her expulsion, Responsible-Cynical spoke up in her head, only now Responsible-Cynical's voice sounded a lot like Cho's. It spoke only two words. She knows."

"That's ridiculous," said Shelly aloud before she even realized it. The other three stared at her inquisitively. "Er," said Shelly, "...Ridiculous that... you haven't come to see me before now!" invented Shelly. She swallowed hard and spread her arms wide to give Cho a hug. "Missed you, Chocho! How've things been around here without me? Pretty boring, I bet." Shelly was getting into stride with acting like nothing was wrong, and gave a large, only slightly false grin.

"But you can fill in for me as mischief maker, right? It might be tough, but I know you're up to it." Shelly thought this over. "On second thought, maybe not. Get AZ to do it." Shelly grinned again, this time horribly fake.

A few seconds of awkward silence befell the hall, during which Shelly cleared her throat several times and coughed once.

"I didn't do it!!" shouted Shelly.

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 05:57:14 PM »
Cho hugged Shelly and then looked at Shelly's awful fake smile.  She knows, thought Cho.  Cho thought she could pull it off, but Shelly knew her too well.

As Shelly plead her innocence, the old and tired prefect sighed heavily and rolled her eyes.  Pulling out her wand, she pointed it at the trunk and intoned, "wingardium leviosa."  The trunk began to float off the ground.  "Alright Shelly, I'll follow you to your office.  Let's go."

She followed, pushing the trunk, as the ex-Gryffie led her down a nearby hallway. 

Cho looked back at Xan and PG.  "Er, you guys are welcome to come along, if you like."  If you dare is what Cho almost said, had wanted to say.  But she thought she'd try really hard to give Shelly the benefit of the doubt.  However, her invitation was less an attempt to be polite and inclusive and more of a hope of having backup in case something disastrous happened. 

Cho glanced back once over her shoulder to see that PG and Xan were both following.  Relieved, she faced forward again to find that Shelly had disappeared from in front of her.  Cho and trunk were both standing there, but Shelly was not.

Drat!  thought Cho.  Where did that blasted ...  Cho turned her head left and saw that Shelly had just turned down another hallway when she was glancing back at the others.  I have got to become less jumpy, thought Cho to herself.

Making sure that PG and Xan saw her turn, Cho continued to follow Shelly, pushing the trunk along.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 07:07:03 PM by Cho Chung »

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 01:24:12 AM »
OOC - *bursts out laughing*

Xan caught the look on Shelly's face and narrowed her eyes. She was up to something ... and sure enough, the ex-Gryffindor sat down near her trunk and cast a poorly-disguised spell to make it shut. Xan's eyebrows rose just a tad ... she had never been a stickler for rules, but did Shelly really think casting a spell in front of a Slytherin and a Ravenclaw was a good idea? If either of them decided to report her, that could land Shelly into a load of trouble.

Just at that point, Cho showed up. At first, it seemed like a normal reunion of old friends, but that facade dissolved rather rapidly. No wonder, they're both really jumpy. Xan wasn't surprised, though, when Cho quickly cast a Levitation Charm on Shelly's trunk, effectively covering up the ex-Gryffindor's earlier spell, and walked Shelly along to her office. Cho looked back at Xan and PG.  "Er, you guys are welcome to come along, if you like."

Now, why would Cho invite them along ...? If Xan was in Cho's place, she probably wouldn't want the two 'bystanders' along more than necessary ... but then again, Xan didn't think like a Gryffindor. With the barest sideways glance at PG, she started forward after the pair. 

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 02:02:43 AM »
Shelly was pensive. She walked down the hall several steps ahead of Cho, without even stopping to thank her for graciously both carrying her trunk and covering up her mistake. She was walking and thinking.

She wondered why she constantly so compelled to disregard rules and guidelines. She had been so determined to follow this one rule, and she hadn't lasted a week. Heck, she hadn't even lasted thirty minutes beyond when she was presented with stress. Shelly stopped walking for a brief moment.

Ah, is that it? Am I incapable of dealing with stress? she thought, before resuming her stride. As far as Shelly could tell, every single time she had screwed up; really screwed up; had been when things hadn't gone according to plan and she had stressed over it. Like that time when she had been running from ferrets and injured Snape and Dumbledore with shrinking solution. And that one time with the hippogriff and the ballet slippers in first year. It was Shelly's short temper that did it, much of the time. Once she got ignited about something she didn't like, boom, mass destruction and chaos was immenent.

Shelly had never stepped back from herself and evaluated herself this way, and she wasn't sure she liked it. She thought about this problem and how to rectify it all the way down the six remaining flights of stairs to her office. Though it was a good 15 minute walk, she was surprised to find herself outside the door to her office, with Cho and the rest not too far behind. She was out of earshot of Xan and PG, but they seemed to be conversing, probably about Shelly.

Shelly took out her enormous key ring and searched for the key to her office. She still couldn't get the hang of all these stupid keys, no matter how many times she used them. The handle of the door was bronze, so the key should be brinze, right? And it was a small keyhole, so it should be a small key, right? Only roblem was, there were only five small bronze keys on the key ring, and, after trying them all twice, Shelly was forced to admit that none of them fit. Then she remembered that she had painted the key to her office blue so that she wouldn't forget which one it was. Or was it the broom cupboard that she had painted blue and her office that she had painted red? And now that she thought of it, that door handle looked more gold than bronze.

Shelly, again completely by instinct, reached for her pocket, but stopped before she had even got halfway there. She put her hand down and tried to make it look like she was just stretching or scratching her leg. Shelly instead grabbed the trunk from midair, freeing up Cho's wand. Shelly then asked Cho quietly if she would pretty please unlock the door, which she did. Shelly nudged the door open with her foot and set the trunk inside the door, propping it open.

"Come on in," she said cheerfully. "Oh, and ignore the cobwebs. I haven't had the chance to clean up yet."

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »
Cho was about to sit down on a nearby chair when she noticed the inch-thick dust that had settled on all the horizontal surfaces in the room.

"Er, d'you suppose it might be a good idea to, er, tidy up a bit before unpacking your things?" suggested Cho.  "I mean, it's quite, uh, dusty in here."

Shelly watched the dust bunnies frolicking around the room and nodded absently.  Cho noticed that Shelly seemed a little overwhelmed  at the idea.  It's no wonder, thought Cho. I'd feel lost, too, if I wasn't allowed to use magic. ... If I were one who obeyed rules, that is.  Cho's mind wandered back to the illicit magic that Shelly had performed at the foot of the stairs.  She shuddered involuntarily.

"What's wrong?" Shelly asked, noticing the tremor that had passed through the Gryffindor prefect's entire body.  Cho snapped gratefully out of her reverie.

"Huh?  Oh.  Um, it's kinda cold in here."  Cho busied herself conjuring up logs and a fire in the empty fireplace, hoping that Shelly would believe her.

Xan and PG entered the room at this point, ending that particular conversation for the moment.

"Wow, it's kinda gross in here," commented Xan drily, looking around at the dust and cobwebs.  "Are you gonna have to live in this filth?"  Somehow, Cho thought she sensed just a wee bit of smugness in Xan's comment.  She was willing to let it pass, but she winced internally as she thought of how Shelly would respond to it if she picked up on it.  Cho prayed Shelly wouldn't. 

She glanced at the new Keeper of Keys and saw that Shelly hadn't registered a word that Xan had said.  She just continued staring at those dust bunnies, who were now hopping about near PG's feet.  Whew! thought Cho.  That was a close one.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 08:20:03 PM »
OOC: 7 points to Xan and Cho, and 3 to Permlessgirl

IC:

Shelly had been putting off cleaning the room, but she had to admit to herself that she couldn't put it off forever. The dust bunnies and grit in the room seemed to have evolved into some kind of life form. What else could explain it. At first Shelly had thought Well, no problem. I'll just go grab a bucket and--

This thought drifted away faster than it had occured to her. Maybe it had something to do with the mice that were now holding a town meeting under her bed, or the gratuitous amount of green.. stuff... that had been creeping up the walls... creepily. So Shelly was feeling understandably overwhelmed.

Truthfully, Shelly had caught what Xan had said, but she chose not to comment. This was because Shelly happened to wholeheartedly agree with her. The place had looked a lot better when she had been excited to have her own office. Now she felt she'd rather sleep in the Forbidden Forest, on account of it was probably cleaner.

She just continued to stare into space until Cho hesitantly walked up to Shelly and waved her hand in her face. "Er, Shelly?" she said.

Shelly snapped out it immediately and jogged to the door. "Stay here," she said to the other three. "I'll be right back."

She returned to the room about a minute and a half later, arms completely full with two large metal buckets full of water, four rags, four sponges, four towels, and enough Mrs. Skower's Magical Mess Remover to clean the whole castle. Shelly saw Xan look at the cleaning implements distastefully. "What. Is. That?" she said jerkily.

"Buckets and sponges and stuff, duh! You guys are going to help me clean up this place!" said Shelly brightly. She set the buckets down and grabbed a sponge, dipping it into the water and beginning to scrub down the nearest wall, smiling as though nothing was wrong in the world. "Well?" she addressed the group now standing around awkwardly. "What're you waiting for?!"

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 03:00:36 AM »
OOC - Hey, hey. This is more of a personal peeve than anything, but could you guys, er ... not post what my character says/does more than necessary? I mean, saying Xan followed you guys to the office is fine, helps move the story along, but .. still. (Not that I would actually have said anything different, come to think of it. You guys are scarily good that way.)

Xan eyed the sponges and things rather dubiously. Truth be told, she had never tried cleaning house in her life - the closest she had gotten to it was wiping spilled ink off her desk. Back home, her family's house-elf had handled all the cleaning, and at Hogwarts, well ... it hadn't been necessary. Until now, anyway.

"You can do it that way," Xan muttered, pulling out her wand. No point doing things the hard way when she could use magic. She didn't know any household-y spells, but with a bit of creativity this shouldn't be too hard ...

Deciding to start from the top, she raised her wand and aimed it at the cobwebs in a corner. "Evanesco," she muttered. Gratifyingly, the cobwebs disappeared, just as she had intended. Encouraged, Xan began Vanishing more cobwebs and dust bunnies, taking care not to make anything else disappear while she was at it. Of course, that approach would only work for the larger bits of dirt - like cobwebs or piles of dust - but still, it beat scrubbing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 03:03:02 AM by Xan »

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 01:23:14 PM »
[7 to Shelly, too]

Offline Permlessgirl

• Ravenclaw
  • Prefect
  • Fourth-year Student
  • "S'up Figgy?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 10:12:17 PM »
OOC: Sorry, I haven't been here in quite a while

Glancing around the dusty room, PG felt a deep sense of sympathy for Shelley. The room wasn't too bad, but it couldn't be fun to stay in it alone. And without being able to use any magic! No matter how much mischief she had caused, Shelley had always been a very nice person. Grabbing a sponge, PG began to dust off a rugged old dresser.

"Oh, It's not bad enough that we need to use any magic Xan. A little dusting never hurt anybody..."
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,"

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 12:25:22 AM »
"Sure, as long as you're not allergic to dust or something." Xan Vanished a few dust bunnies lurking under Shelly's desk and sneezed. Oh darn, don't say it's getting to me. Shaking her head, she waved her wand and hit a stray spider with the charm, sending it into magical oblivion. Or just plain oblivion. Idly, she wondered where the stuff went after being Vanished ... and also why Shelly didn't just task a house-elf to clean it out for her. Surely she would've found a way into the kitchens somewhere along the line ...

Xan glanced at the ex-Gryffie, still at work scrubbing the wall. "Why didn't you just get a house-elf to clean this place out? I bet they'd be happy to help out." The last two words were said with just a trace of irony. House-elfs didn't really 'help', they pretty much did all the work when asked.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 01:34:45 AM »
[OOC: Sorry about the puppeting, Xan. It's just that in long posts I thought it might be a little awkward to have you just standing there. I try to keep that sort of thing to a minimum, but if it bugs you, I'll just leave you alone in RP from now on.  :)]

"A house elf..." Shelly considered. "No," she said briskly, resuming her scrubbing. "The house elves are always so nice to me, I'm not going to make them clean up my office, too. Besides, the more complicated I make things, the more trouble it leads to, if you know what I mean. I think I'm done causing trouble for a while."

Shelly glanced at Cho, who looked quickly away, as though she didn't want to make eye contact with Shelly.

Several minutes later, the mice were fleeing, the dust bunnies were dividing rather than multiplying, and you could actually tell that the walls of the room were made of brick on one side and wood on the other, but the room was far from done. Shelly was now tackling the floor, taking occasional breaks to wash it as well.

Shelly turned to a rather nasty clump of dust that was supporting a rather interesting array of horticulture. In fact, she thought she saw a Venemous Tentacula seedling, but before she had the chance to survey it further, she let loose a fantastic sneeze which sent the entire clump flying into the air.

"EW!!" yelled Shelly, attempting to take refuge under the screen that separated the bedroom and office, but ended up knocking it over instead.

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 07:50:11 AM »
OOC - Oh, I don't mind the minor stuff. It's just dialogue and stuff I tend to prefer posting myself. :)

Xan gave Shelly a sideways look, inwardly wondering exactly how complicated she thought bringing in a house-elf would be. But it was her choice, so Xan acknowledged it with a shrug. "Suit yourself. It'll make things easier, is all."

Glancing around at the places where the ceiling met the wall, Xan searched for more stuff to charm off but didn't find anything. Satisfied that she hadn't missed anything major - it was still dirty, but more needs-a-wipe than needs-to-be-sterilized dirty now. Which unfortunately meant that Vanishing Charms would no longer work, unless she wanted to risk blowing holes in the ceiling.

Oh well. Time for more creative problem solving. Xan scooped up a sponge, wet it, then cast a Levitating Charm on it to bring it up to the ceiling. With some trial and error, she found that she could clean the top corners of the room by doing that. It was pretty sloppy and dripped water quite a lot, but it worked.

Then Shelly sneezed loudly and yelled, knocking over the screen with a bang. Startled, Xan whirled around, accidentally releasing the levitated sponge while she was at it. It landed with a loud 'plop' right next to where PG was, splattering the Ravenclaw with water. To make matters worse, Xan had instinctively stepped back when hearing the noise, and her back foot caught one of the open cans of Magical Mess Remover. Needless to say, both she and the cleaning fluid ended up on the floor.

Swearing, Xan rolled and sprang up. Her left foot was now soaked with the ... stuff ... as well as the bottom of her robe. To make matters worse, the contents of the entire can had spread over the floor.

OOC - Don't you just love mayhem? :P

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 05:43:39 PM »
[OOC: Yeah, just a bit. How exciting can an RP be if it's just about scrubbing walls, anywho? I promised not to start too much trouble in this one, though. At least now I can blame it on you. ;D]

The scent of ammonia filled the air as Shelly stood up, draped in the screening curtina she had fallen over, and soaked from head to toe in Magical Mess Remover. She traipsed sloshily to the cupboard in the corner and took out a large towel. [OOC: Sloshily is now a word whether you like it or not. I love onomatopoeia. ;D]

As Shelly wiped the gunky cleaning solution off of herself, the other three looked at her incredulously. Shelly noticed that Cho had been splashed generously with the stuff, and that Xan was still sitting on the floor, even more soaked than Shelly. Shelly grinned sheepishly and pulled three more towels out of her cupboard, and distributed them.

Once they had sopped up the mess, Shelly sank back onto her bed. She wiped sweat off her brow and gestured feebly at the other three girls. "You guys can just finish up, okay? I think I'll take a quick nap." Before anyone could reply, Shelly was snoring, blissfully unaware that everyone was staring at her with a mixture of anger and disbelief.