Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commercialization  (Read 113 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Commercialization
« on: December 11, 2004, 02:50:29 AM »

I have been holiday shopping in the little free time I have been able to find, and I cannot believe how extreme the commercialization of the holiday season has become.  I love this time of year, but when the stores start decorating and putting out holiday merchandise in late summer/early fall, it makes me question if the commericialization is making the season less special.  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this issue.  My husband and I talked about this tonight and are contemplating scaling back the gift giving to focus on the more non-tangible/emotional aspects of the season.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: Commercialization
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »

I think that's a good idea, Heather. My favorite part of the season is when I find the PERFECT gift to give someone. This is better than getting, better than giving the biggest or best or newest. I found something yesterday for $10 that a certain friend of mine will, I wager, love more than something I could pick up for a lot more.

I can understand it to a point. I mean, it's a chance to draw people in to stores and have sales and stuff. And I think that we just buy into it more and more, which just reinforces the behavior, as it were.

But I think that, indeed, the less tangible things need more of a focus. I don't really know how to do that in my own life, since I'm struggling with a lot of personal issues right now, but ... well, it needs to be done. What sorts of things are you thinking of trying?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
Re: Commercialization
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:01:19 PM »

I try and stay away from purchasing gifts for my friends and give them things from the heart.  For instance, this year I'm making my boyfriend a blanket and compling a CD of love songs for him.  It seems selfish that I'm giving him so many things to remind him of me but with the two of us being 1300 miles apart what more can we do for each other?  He's been bugging me about what things he can buy me for Christmas and I just reply with whatever you feel I will enjoy and I will love it because it came from him.

Course my family didn't really have a lot of money when I was growing up so we mostly made our gifts where his family didn't really worry too much about that.

All holidays have become commercialized now, it's so hard to get back into the spirit of Christmas.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up