Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Lupin Die?  (Read 176 times)

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
Will Lupin Die?
« on: December 02, 2004, 07:46:16 PM »

Iv found information that Remus Lupin meant die in one of the upcoming books.Linkv.

www.allthingsmoony.tk   Click on the link"Myths&Legend" when you get there.(No,Iam not stupid.All it said when I tired to find the link was that)

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Will Lupin Die?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »

All I can say is I hope not.  I don't think we can tell much from looking at the myths from which JKR took names.  Part of the point of his name is simply the (were)wolf connection.  Not much else has rung true with the myth so far, so I don't know why his death should. 

That's just MHO.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 02:52:45 AM »

I don't think that he'll die just because of the myth ... but I do think that Wormtail's hand isn't silver for no reason. So it's possible that Wormtail will end up using his new hand to hurt Lupin ... though we don't even know if JKR's using the silver-hurts-werewolves myth.

I hope he lives, though. I like that character. :)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

RSM

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • I ♥ Stanley James Gilliard
    • View Profile
    • my xanga
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:43:23 PM »

Theres a possibility just to make the book MORE complicated since Harry's lost amost everyone he cares about..
♥ J e s s i c a R e n e e ♥

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 02:54:31 AM »

I do not see how Lupin's death would necessarily advance the story.  The death of Sirius brought home to Harry how brutal the war with YKW will be (as if Cedric's death did not do that already).  The effect of losing Lupin, based on what we know through OoP, would be redundant, if not less significant, to Harry that Sirius's death.  I remember a discussion in another thread where Cho mentioned that she felt Lupin had served his purpose in the story line, and had become a secondary character (I am paraphrasing).  I tend to agree with that thought.  That is why I don't think his death would be a very significant plot device.  However, I have been known to be wrong (a lot), and this would not be the first time.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 10:24:23 AM »

However, I have been known to be wrong (a lot), and this would not be the first time.

Impossible!  ;D

Heather, I don't recall saying that or anything like it, but it does sound like something I would say.  Regardless, I agree with it (at least I'm consistent with myself, even if I don't know it...).  JKR has sidelined Lupin somewhat (even though I personally would have been sadder if Lupin died than Sirius), so his death wouldn't have the same kind of impact.

On the other hand, now Lupin is about the only real tie to his father left to him, and his loss could be that much more depressing.  But for some reason, I don't think JKR will do that.  Especially as Harry "grows out of" Dumbledore, he will need another male figure to turn to, and I think Lupin is the perfect person for that job:  he knew and loved Harry's parents, is on the same side as Harry, was the first of the Marauders to become friends with Harry, is fair-minded, ... and he's just cool.  ;D  Okay, maybe that's my personal opinion.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 12:09:59 PM »

Not everything has to revolve around Harry.  .... Okay, that sounds really funny saying it, but what is mean is that there's going to be a lot of fighting, a lot of danger, and my guess is a lot more deaths in the coming books.  Amidst that multitude there will be many that don't have a serious personal impact for Harry.  Certainly not as big as Sirius's death.  I imagine Lupin would be a good candidate because WE like him so much.  We, the audience, must shape the story at least a little, dont' you think?  Or, put another way, JKR has purposefully made many of her characters sympathetic.  Although many of them will live (since we've just GOT to have a happy ending!) some of them surely will die to underscore themes, pull at our heartstrings, etc.  Lupin seems like a good candidate.  He wouldn't be leaving behind a family.  He wouldn't be poor and outcast anymore.  Although very moving, I think Lupin's death would be, in some ways, less melancholy than others because (if it was done right, and he died heroically, you see) we could feel that perhaps he had gone on to a better place and felt the price he payed was worth whatever heroic deed he preformed to do it.

I think there's a very good chance Lupin will die before the end of book seven.
Don't get stuck on stupid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up