Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you guys think that the director of HP3 The movie did a good job?  (Read 404 times)

Fang

Do you?  I dont.  I think that he let the characters have too much free will.  In hogwarts ive never heard about them having on regulart clothes outside of there dormitories.  And i thought that you had to touch a knot on the whomping willow to imobilize it...not just cast a spell.  He also changed the position of things.  such as hagrids hut.  before they didnt have to go over a bridge and down steps to go to his house it was just outside of the castle.  i dont know maybe its just me :laugh: oh well tell me what ya'll think

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
Re: Do you guys think that the director of HP3 The movie did a good job?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 10:19:14 AM »

That's not really down to the director, is it ... ? More like costuming, etc. I dunno, I thought the acting was good, but I just didn't like the movie (call me a purist if you like, but they changed too many things).
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 02:21:09 AM »

First of all, kudos on the dementors!  Those were just plain awesome.

There were, however, several points where improvement could have been made in the movie.

1.  Dumbledore (Yes, the director had no control over the old actor, but I wish he was still alive; he had the essence of Dumbledore's insightful nature down pat).
2.  Camera work (Personally, while I do enjoy good filmwork, this was just plain weird).
3.  Set placement (Did anyone notice that the Womping Willow moved?  In HP2, it was in the courtyard...here, it's near the Forbidden Forest).
4.  Acting (IMHO, they should have found someone else to play Sirius Black.  Someone who could actually "look" the part, and play it well.  This guy was alternating between those; they needed someone who could do BOTH).

There you have it, my assessment.  Also, while I do appreciate that Draco does need to be taken down a few notches every now and then, I think that Hermione should not have struck him, and that points should have been deducted from Gryffindor for inter-house brawling.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:45:52 AM »

I really enjoyed it. The first two movies seems so...slow. the third one didn't and I give it all to the new director. Of course, I have no problems with a movie being different from the book it's based off of, to a point, but this one wasn't even significantly so. Sure, there were slight differences, but nothing major enough to make it "unlike" the book, you know?

I didn't care that things moved, I thought it was all very pretty in a way that the first two movies never showed. Scotland is a beautiful place for the most part, why not make it look like Hogwarts is too? Everything in the first movies seemed to be flat, and squared around one little area...I like the idea of a Hogwarts campus that sprawls.

Changing small things like using a spell to stop the whomping willow doesn't actually change the feel of things fom the book at all...so I think it doesn't matter. If I spent the entire movie picking over everything that was changed, I'd enver enjoy the movie. I prefer to just watch it through and see if it's enjoyable all on it's own.

I think it was, and so when I saw it again and actually looked for differences, they didn't bother me at all.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was that they never explained the identity of the marauders, or of Harry's patronus. That was a bit of plot that could have used insertion in place of, say, the long hippogriff ride. Other than that, I can't think of anything that I didn't like.

Sure it wasn't exactly like the book, but I think it captured the feel of the stories and stood well enough on its own.

Long-winded Tia-ism signing out. ;)
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

Eliza MacLaren

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • We're better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 05:02:31 AM »

I agree with your point about the Marauder Map.  They didn't explain it, which would leave anyone who hasn't read the books wondering how Lupin knew that it was a map.  I also agree with your point about the landscape.  Most of Great Britain is rolling hills; almost none of it is flat.  And JKR never specified in the books, so it's not really cannon either way. 
As for whether or not I liked the movie in general... it had a much darker feeling, which means that my mom doesn't want my younger sibs to see it, and which is very, very different from the first two.  And while, yes, the later books (book 5) do start getting a bit darker, books 3 and 4 still have more of the happy-go-lucky, school boy feeling present in 1 and 2.  Yes, Harry has problems.  But it isn't until OotP that these start to really bother him, and he starts dwelling more and more on the negative aspects in his life.  After all, in the 3rd book, his biggest worries were not getting to have fun in Hogsmeade with his friends, and the Dementors keeping him from playing Quiditch.  He wasn't an (pardon the pharase, but I think it fits) angst-muffin yet.  He was still just a kid.
The slight of hand was a nice addition, though.  And the new actor, though perhaps not quite as good as the old Dumbledore, wasn't so bad as to warrant a re-casting.  He's trying to make the character work for him, and it shouldn't be srprising if he has a different take on it than the previous actor.  He can't really bring him to life if he spends all his time imitating someone else's work. 

So, I say that, while I liked the first two better, it wasn't all that bad considering the numer of changes that had to be made.  And I liked most of the changes that were by choice.
"O be wise; what can I say more?"  - Jacob 6: 12

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 06:47:19 AM »

I must be one of the few people who LIKED the new Dumbledore. The other guy was so ... boring. He just sat there. Dumbledore, though old, is still rather spry, and he's bonkers! You never got any of that with the other guy.

Not that I don't think there are things they could have done and didn't. But that's probably just me.

Or maybe not. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 06:06:06 PM »

::snaps fingers:: That was the point i forgot!  The Marauder's Map!

It's origins were never explained.  That annoyed me big-time.

I must say, though, that they did work in the were-wolf bit rather well.

::shrugs:: I guess it was a mix-&-match...some things were well-done, while others could use some work.  And yes, I will grant you that this Dumbledore is taking a more active role in the storyline.  I just think that there's an element of the old role that was lost, something of the child in Dumbledore that helped him empathize with Harry, and speak to him as more of an equal.

By the way, one more kudos...to the guys who set up the map for the closing credits.  Very cool!!!  ::two thumbs up::
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 07:58:09 PM »

I think I've already chimed in before, but I'll chime in again.  I agree with Ping that I like the new Dumbledore better than the old.  The old one didn't seem to capture that in Dumbledore that I really like -- his complete randomness alongside his brilliance.  It also captured the way that Dumbledore tends to kind of speak in riddles.  On the whole, I thought this Dumbledore seemed more like the one in the books.  The old one just seemed a bit too, well, old.

As for the layout of the school, I agree with Tia.  I liked the fact that there were more dimensions and depth to the place.  I actually hadn't liked the Whomping Willow being placed where it was in the first two movies, so when it finally got moved to the edge of the Forest, where it belongs, it felt right to me.  Same with Hagrid's house. 

On the whole, I liked it better than the first two. I was among those who thought the first two movies a bit flat and lifeless.  This one seemed to have more of a life of its own.  To be more precise, I thought the characters had lives of their own.  There was less dependency on the setting and more vibrance and life given to the actors themselves.  You actually got to see some plot and character development, which was pretty sorely lacking in the first movie and was only slightly better in the second.

I thought this movie a bit confusing, however, mostly because the plot and backstory are so much more complicated than in the first two. 

I disagree that book three is still a happy-go-lucky book.  Granted, it's not as dark as either 4 and 5, but I think it's significantly heavier than one and two.  Two was spooky because other people were just being petrified everywhere.  This one, someone is (supposedly) out to kill Harry.  And then there are the dementors.  I actually thought that the movie did a good job of portraying the mixture of happy-go-lucky and dead serious.  The scene of them eating those animal candies (or whatever they were) shows some of that. 

I also agree that the Hippogriff ride did not need to be as long and protracted as it was.  That could have been cut for a bit more clarity in the backstory.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 09:09:24 AM »

So...I just watched PoA again today, and I had a new thought. The omission of facts about the Marauders' true identities might have been deliberatly left out, in order to allow it to be more subtle. The viewer would really have to figure it out on thier own. There are quite a few hints along the way that would allow an intelligent viewer to possibly figure out the identity of the marauders without knowing from the books, and feel like they've learned a secret. I always like doing that in movies, figuring out a plot twist or tidbit before they tell you, you know? It makes me feel marginally smarter.  :P

Not that there are that many people who haven't read the boks watching the movies, but it might happen. Of course, having read the books myself, I don't know how obvious the hints would be to someone who hasn't, so it might be a moot point.
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 08:40:01 PM »

Heaven forbid that viewers should actually think about the movie they're watching... :laugh:

But yeah, perhaps you've got a point there.  Although one has to wonder whether it was done on purpose or whether the director simply did it by accident.

Verkolak

• Slytherin
  • Third-year Student
  • We are better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 05:08:13 AM »

I recently rented PoA since it's out on DVD now. I thought the movie was great. I liked it a lot better than the first two movies. I really enjoyed the way the director incorporated magic into the wizarding communities daily lives, they use it the same way we use technology. For example, the wizard stirring the cup of miscellaneous hot beverage without actually touching the spoon. I think stuff like that made the world seem more real. Oh, and in regards to changing the setup of Hogwarts, in the extras the said the layout of the school is based on a map that J.K. Rowling drew specfically for them to use in the movie. Anyway, fun stuff. I'm looking forward to the next movie.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 08:41:32 AM »

I think I actually liked the layout for the third movie better than the first and second. That's one of the things people have complained about that I didn't mind.

I'm not sure I buy the subtle thing. But I might just be cynical and figure that they're expecting us all to have read the books and know the answers already.

One Ping Only

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 01:18:39 AM »

I never said that the layout for the third movie was wrong...just that the three movies weren't consistent.

Personally, I think that the 3rd movie did it better.  I just wish that the first two had clicked that way with the third, you know?

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 10:36:37 PM »

I think each movie's look was a good thing for that movie. The first movie is about discovering the magical world, so its good that there was this kind of bright, simple looking vision about the movie. The second one was a good mix of visuals and improved acting, which also matched the book. The third one is much much more dark, so the style of the third movie is perfect. I think it would be a mistake to go back to the colerful style of the first 2 movies for the next two movies, and i also think it was a mistake to sack the 3rd director.
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 03:31:35 AM »

They sacked him? I thought he was just signed on for only one movie.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 08:05:47 AM »

Ditto.  He was only signed on for the third movie.  No sacking involved, there.  I wonder if they'll bring him back for the 5th since he's supposed to be so good at teenage angst.  That book is overflowing with it.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 02:18:20 PM »

I kind of hope they don't, then. It's not going to take much to bring out the angst in that movie...

One Ping Only

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 02:19:52 AM »

Well, yeah, but a little booster shot for it couldn't hurt...

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 01:37:35 AM »

Seriously. the more angst the better. I like it dripping with angst. like that movie "13" but more.  :P

i think ping is right. too much angst is like real life, and not the fun parts. they should cut the angst and focus on the action.
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 07:57:31 PM »

I was just watching the third movie on DVD, and I didn't notice Harry's scar on DR's forehead?  Am I the only one who didn't see it?
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 07:09:59 PM »

the only thing I didn't like the movies and I'm not just talking about the third.  I think some parts they emphasized on too much and others they barely touched upon.  Talking with people who haven't read the books yet, they're waiting for all 7 to come out and watch the movies first.  yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.

The second movie I think was the only one I didn't see many problems with.  The one thing I didn't like about the third though was that I felt like I was reaching for something and never being able to grab onto it.  Like the relationship between the Mauraders, why they became Anamagi or however it's spelt.

I just pray that the fourth movie will be done in parts.  There is so much information that they need to bring across that it would be very difficult to make it into a 3 hour movie, let alone a 3 1/2 hour movie.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

SlYtherIn_gIrL

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 10:25:47 AM »

The third movie was a load of embarassment but I think we(HUGE fans) are the only ones who notice it....Also in the third movie its like Harry's gay and Hermione's the tough one.....The only thing I liked about the movie is the effects much more darker and wizardy thing.....

Cerberus

• Hufflepuff
  • Fifth-year
  • Bats aren't bugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »

The third film wasn't excellent, but I would like to say that it is the best of the three current Harry Potter movies. The PoA was the first Harry Potter movie which was quite faithful to the book.
I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.

Master Obi-Wan

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • The master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 11:12:04 PM »

Eh...while the movie was pretty good, it did leave out some things. The Maurader's Map wasn't really clarified that well, and I think the Shrieking Shack scene was a tad too short. Some of the acting wasn't all that great, but all in all, it was a pretty good film.
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"-Obi-Wan Kenobi

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 11:20:48 AM »

The third film wasn't excellent, but I would like to say that it is the best of the three current Harry Potter movies. The PoA was the first Harry Potter movie which was quite faithful to the book.

Did we see the same movie?

I felt that the Chamber of Secrets was far more accurate than any of the movies.  Yes it cut out some scenes, but all of the movies did.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up