Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slytherin  (Read 432 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Slytherin
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:18:25 PM »

A friend of mine on Livejournal has been ranting about some of the comments JKR has made about Slytherins in the book being all evil and not understanding why people like them so much, because they're evil. This friend seems to think that first-year students are too young to be truly evil, and that it's ridiculous to say they're all bad. She's become very disenchanted with the books because of these comments. Of course, she also thinks it would be cool to be one of the bad guys from Stargate, so I'm not sure her opinion is ... quite sound.

But I thought, considering the excellent quality of our own Slytherins, that I might get some opinions on the subject. (Assuming I've been coherent enough that you know what I'm talking about.) :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: Slytherin
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 08:58:19 AM »

I think that some of the students in the books see the members of Slytherin to be "evil", but I don't think that it has anything to do with what Slytherin is about. The only reason that house has produced more dark wizards is because the attributes it prizes, such as ambition and cunning, are attributes that are common with villians. They aren't exclusive to evil-doers, though; world leaders and other very successful people often have those skills also. Basically, Slytherin just has a bad rep because of the occasional baddie that comes out of there.

Er, that's what I think, anyways.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 04:42:24 PM »

Occasional being the key word. I mean who did we have? LV, Grimerwold (?), and Salazar, but he doesn't count, he founded Slytherin. Does he?

Draco got a bad rep because he's boisterous. How many Slythys are there who are quietly ambitious?
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:18:08 AM »

I think at times the people will fit themselves into a mold that is put before them.  I mean if I was in Slytherin and being the nice person that I am, I would pick up on some of the traits of my other house members. The older students would be mean because that's how they were treated.  Draco is the exception I mean we know who is father is and we've seen how he treats house elves. 
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 08:35:30 AM »

Hmm ... where to begin?

From a writer's standpoint - JKR's, obviously, in this case - the whole Slytherin = evil thing makes sense. Every book needs good guys and bad guys, especially children's books (let's not forget that Harry Potter began as a book aimed at kids aged 9-12) where the line between good and evil isn't as blurred as it is in real life. The series revolves around Gryffindors being the 'good guys' and Slytherin being the evil ones that everyone loves to hate (or just loves, in some cases .. *cough*).

They're also written from Harry's point of view, and he's obviously biased towards his own house, because after all who wouldn't be? And since Slytherin and Gryffindor have this rivalry dating back to the Founders, Harry's POV would be biased against Slytherins - therefore, in the book, they're portrayed as evil idiots, mostly because Draco is Harry's rival (I'd hesitate to say archenemy because we have Voldie for that) and they hate each other. Harry views Draco as this idiot who keeps antagonising him, and since he's the most prominent Slytherin in the books (aside from Snape, but since he's Harry's tormenter ...) we are supposed to believe that all Slytherins are just like him.

But ... viewing Slytherin as a house instead of a literary device brings out a whole different argument. There is simply no such thing as a completely evil house, or a completely good house (case in point - Wormtail was Gryffindor), therefore to say that all Slytherins are evil is simply ignorant and smacks of senseless prejudice. One would argue that most - if not all - prejudices are senseless, but I digress.

It remains that Slytherin is the house everyone loves to hate, though. To paraphrase from this very good Slyth-fic I read: everyone automatically thinks Slytherins will become Dark mages, which would only make the more ambitious Slytherins want to prove their worth ... and if they go bad in the process, it would put more pressure on new Slyths to prove themselves. It's a vicious cycle. It's also, like Marold said - what with peer pressure and all, new Slytherins would copy their elders. Being ostracized for seven years would create a pretty darn tight-knit house, I bet.

But anyway, Slytherin is the House of Ambition, not evil. Nobody in their right mind would create a house dedicated to producing dark mages or allow it to continue existing, for that matter. Prized Slytherin traits are ambition, cunning, drive, a certain amount of ruthlessness ... and like Shelley said, those traits aren't exclusive to evil people. A lot of real-life successful people have those and the majority of them aren't evil. On that note, statistically speaking a quarter of Britain's wizards would be Slytherin graduates. I highly doubt that they are all evil; there's something very wrong with having so many Dark mages around.

There are no evil houses, only evil people ... Slytherin has probably produced more than its fair share of villians, but that doesn't mean they're ALL bad.

edit - Holy crap ... this post ended up being far longer than I intended. :o Anyway, hopefully it's coherant. ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 08:37:30 AM by Xan »
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 06:40:29 PM »

Bravo, Xan -- I think you've captured our entire House's feelings quite nicely.

//Meepozoid Salmonmousse comes out from beneath the 'Susan Bones' mask for a moment//

I must admit that I was rather stunned to find this character cast into Slytherin here.  In every other HP website I have traveled to, Susan has been sorted into either Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw (and once Gryffindor). 

Every other character fits perfectly into his or her House, except this one.  Unnerving, that.

Being sorted into Slytherin is a major reason why I 'stuck' around here....I've peeked into just about every fansite that exists (at least all the biggies) but this is the only one I've contributed to more than twice.

(The other major reason is my HP theories are usually laughed at everywhere else.  I never understood that and I usually have a good laugh at them when the books come out....)

And as for Susan..... she's happy, even proud, to be a Slytherin here.  This site has made me completely re-think Salazar's House.  Reminds me of [deleted by poster after much thought]

//Meep gasps. realizes she is showing her true age, then quickly smacks back into the Susan mask//

Er..... what she said. :-[
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 06:43:18 PM by Susan Bones »

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 10:22:52 AM »

Nice discussion!

15 to Ping, Xan, and Susan; 10 to Shelly and Marold; 5 to Deedra.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »

Incredible, I think you've said it all. *feels left out* As for what JKR says about Slytherins....she could be being sarcastic, like that whole thing about 'voldy', remember?

And what about that Slytherin headmaster who talks to Dumbledore all the time? He couldn't have been evil, but he was definatly Slytherin...so JKR write non-evil Slytherins into the books herself. So I think she's just pulling people's legs, so to speak.

Also, I too have problems thinking of a quarter of the population of a school full of children/teenagers being evil. I mean, really evil. Sure, you might, for the sake of fantasy, get a serial killer like Riddle or such every fifty years or so, I mean we get nutcases in real life who shoot up cafeterias, yes? But not that many. But there's always a crowd of, um, 'strange' kids in all schools. We aren't evil, just have an odd sense of humor...and dress odd...and carry swords...uh, nevermind, going off topic here.

I think JKR has created a world that's going to expand past what she's written, no matter what she says. I don't mean someone else will write more books about it, like star wars, just that everyone puts themlseves into her world when they read the books, does that make sense? So there's going to be good Slytherins and evil Gryffindors, even against the author's wishes. It's unavoidable. It's also a sign that she's made a highly sucessful universe, however corny it may be at times. I think she should take it as a compliment, in a roundabout sort of way.
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 07:30:40 PM »

Excellent points, Tia.  Take 10.
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 10:53:07 PM »

I sometimes get the sense that JKR's books started out as a bit more one or two dimensional (i.e. black and white, good and bad, etc.) but have become more multi-dimensional as time goes on.  Sometimes I go back and read some of the earlier stuff and I wonder if the story and the universe have expanded to much larger than she ever planned.  So some things fit into that two-dimensional world (like a clear "good" and "bad") and some things don't.  So sometimes when she makes statements like Slytherins are evil, I wonder if that's part of the two dimensional-ness coming through, despite the complexity of the later books/characters.

Does that make sense?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 12:15:03 AM »

Hmm ... that implies that the initial two dimensional-ness wasn't deliberate, when it might have been. Because when you're eleven or younger, things tend to be very black and white IMO - in Harry's case, the Dursleys are bad, the people who rescued him from them (Hagrid, Dumbledore because he arranged it, etc) are good, his friends are good, Draco Malfoy is bad ... that sort of thing. But as Harry grows up he finds that the world is more like shades of grey than black and white and the books reflect that.

Or you could be right, and JKR's writing has simply improved with time. *shrugs*

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 07:51:13 AM »

Improved or just changed. I don't mean to imply that the two dimensional-ness wasn't deliberate.  On the contrary, I very much think it was deliberate.  I think the three dimensional-ness later on in the books, while deliberate as well, wasn't quite planned to be as full and deep as it is. 

Don't you find it strange, after all the complexity of the characters, to return to the Durselys' house again at the beginning of every book and have them be so ... two dimensional still?  In my mind, every book (with perhaps the exception of book 5) starts off feeling like a little kids' book again because of her style of portraying the Dursleys. 

Does that make any sense?

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 04:15:20 AM »

It makes sense - and yes, compared with the rest, it feels odd. But it could be up to Harry's perception of things, again ... the Dursleys are prejudiced against wizards (which probably isn't going to change, because prejudices rarely do), they hate Harry's guts, he's not going to see them as anything other than his evil aunt and uncle, and the cousin that bullied him for his entire life.

Also could be linked to the anti-Muggle sentiment in the wizarding world, in a way. It's like ... you have all that pureblood mania among the Malfoys, and for the Dursleys the feeling is definitely mutual. It underscores the gap between the two 'worlds'.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 12:45:05 PM »

I felt that the scenes with the Dursleys at the beginning of book 5 were a bit of a departure. Things felt more real, less ... fantastically bad, but more real bad. Does that make sense?

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »

Yes, it does.  That's part of why I made the exception I did above.  However, up until the point that Aunt Petunia starts talking about the Dementors, it was still very two-dimensional.  But yeah, I agree.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 03:26:42 PM »

First of all, I do believe that the few of us who have become (in)famous in our world have placed some rather nasty expectations by others on our shoulders.  I, for one, sometimes enjoy acting like You-Know-Who...but at other times, i just want to have some fun.  I prefer to look at us as a group of strongly-motivated students; we'll do whatever's necessary to succeed, which will make us all the better and stronger for it.

Secondly, about book 5 with the Dursleys...we had the sense of "fantastically bad" because You-Know-Who was still not nearly powerful enough to start rounding up his old gang.  But he regained his power and his followers, or most of them, at the end of book 4.  So now we enter the period where what we hoped wouldn't happen, happened.  Thus, things are now more stark and less dream-like.  Concordantly, there was a shift in how the scenes were depicted, and it was brought home to us just how much change You-Know-Who would bring with him.

IMHO.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Eliza MacLaren

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • We're better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 04:42:55 AM »

I personally agree with what's been posted heretofore.  Slytherins do have a certain "reputation" to live up to.  Everyone else treats us like we're automatically evil, just because we're Slytherins.  Harry's view of us was decided by three things, or rather, three people (which influenced his decision to go into Gryffindor House, rather than become a Slytherin).  First, Hagrid, whom he liked, and who didn't like Slytherins.  Second, Ron, who had the same view and Hagrid, and who became Harry's best friend.  And third, Draco Malfoy, whom Harry did not like (as he reminded Harry of Dudley), and who was sorted into Slytherin before Harry was called up.  If Harry had not been influenced by those people, he would have been a Slytherin.  And, as he in the hero of the books - the "good guy," if you will - that only proves the point that not all Slytherins are bad. 
Also, while Malfoy is an annoying pain in the... yeah... most of that is because he is a spoiled, rich kid.  If his parents had given him a few more punishments and a few less bribes, he probably wouldn't be so bad.  Any child psychologist could tell you that.
The Sorting Hat had it right.  Skytherins are cunning folk, and Salazar's House can help a person on their path to greatness. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:54:52 AM by Eliza MacLaren »
"O be wise; what can I say more?"  - Jacob 6: 12

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 06:44:39 AM »

I think you forgot an important thing -- Voldemort, the one who killed his parents, was in Slytherin, as were many of those that served him. Not really a rousing endorsement for the House if it wants to recruit someone -- "Hi, you know you want to be in Slytherin, and we're sorry about one of us killing your parents." Just not really likely to attract him and make him want to pick them, you know?

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 08:50:48 AM »

Yes.  And it's also the case that the books at least depict many of the other Slytherins as being just like Draco and his gang:  mean, arrogant bullies.  Think about the members of the Quidditch team.  Think about all the Slytherins wearing the Potter Stinks buttons.  Think about all the Slytherins who are just as pleased as anyone else when Draco is able to show up Harry or his friends, or who also hate mudbloods. 

The fact of the matter is, JKR is writing a stereotype.  She's writing in stereotype if you will.  Not all Gryffindors are brave, but more of them are than not.  Even Neville is going to turn out to surprise us.  No, not all Slytherins are evil per se, but most of them are complete jerks with an easy step toward evil.  That's how she's painting this picture, and there's a certain point at which to contradict her stereotype is to do an injustice to her books.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 09:16:40 AM »

Well said, Cho!

I guess this is what has always confused me about people who try to say that not all Slytherins could possibly be evil or jerks or whatever, because, in the context of the books, well, they are. Even Snape, who I think is an incredibly cool and complex character, is unable to put aside his dislike for James in order to teach Harry what he needs to know in order to defend himself.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while its proabably all logical for them not to be, in the world of HP, they mostly are. .

One Ping Only

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 06:01:36 PM »

Personally, I like to think that there's a "hiccup" in the system at Hogwarts.

What we're seeing is a batch of particularly like-minded students, and when i say like-minded, i mean they think like Draco.  While i agree that success is top priority, at the cost of many other things, i do not agree with some under-handed tactics.  Even we Slytherins have ethics, albeit eccentric ones.  Darkness holds some of the best solutions to problems, it's just that it's been stereotyped to be completely evil.  I say, keep an open mind.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 06:08:17 PM »

Perhaps all Slytherins are not inherently evil...but after a couple of years of peer pressure from a house of bullies and slimebuckets, they all become evil, in self-defense? ;)

I mean, look at Crabbe and Goyle...they're kind of morons...they get led around on a string by Draco. Not that they're not evil anyway...but more so because of association.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 06:11:56 PM by Tiamat »

Eliza MacLaren

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • We're better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 07:50:58 PM »

To the argument about Lord Voldemort being in Slytherin, then killing Harry's parents... he didn't know that Voldemort had attended Hogwarts, let alone that he'd been in Slytherin when Harry was being sorted.  He finds out later, and is quite shocked to discover the fact that his arch-enemy was a student at Hogwarts, house not withstanding. 
Also, please remember that these were originally intended to be children's books.  Despite the fact that many of us know better, most authors continue to assume that children cannot comprehend anything more complex than clear-cut, black-and-white, good-verses-evil.  JKR has not delved deep into the characters of any Slytherins, and hasn't even scratched the surface on any save Draco Malfoy.  Even if the actions of the Slytherins in the book were bad, most of that could just be keeping up with house rep. 
"O be wise; what can I say more?"  - Jacob 6: 12

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »

Also, please remember that these were originally intended to be children's books.  Despite the fact that many of us know better, most authors continue to assume that children cannot comprehend anything more complex than clear-cut, black-and-white, good-verses-evil.  JKR has not delved deep into the characters of any Slytherins, and hasn't even scratched the surface on any save Draco Malfoy.  Even if the actions of the Slytherins in the book were bad, most of that could just be keeping up with house rep. 

So, which way does that cut, Eliza? 

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 08:04:49 PM »

It's true...the books are fairly clear-cut about good and evil...and I have no problem with that. The books can stay as clear-cut as they'd like, Slytherins evil all the way, but it can't stop us from giving more, uh, depth to our characters :)

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »

It also doesn't keep us from saving face and making up for Draco's multiple disgraceful performances.

I mean, come on...everywhere he goes, he surrounds himself with followers...me, i prefer to let them come to me, rather than paying them off.  It's a waste of Galleons.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2004, 08:51:10 PM »

:laugh:  I like your style, YamNeo!  You're sure you don't belong in Gryffindor....?   ;D

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »

How could you even think such a thing? I'm far too ruthless and ambitious to be tied down by your "rules", your "regulations", and your "manners".  There is such a thing as an extreme, and Gryffindor hit it.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 04:33:49 AM »

:laugh:

I stick to my opinion. :P The Slytherins in the books are fairly stereotypical evil people (who are also not especially bright, but that's neither here nor there) because that's the way Harry perceives them to be. As a literary device in a children's series, they're the perfect bad guys who (seemingly) get thwarted at every turn. But as a house, if Slytherin is thought of to be a real group of people, it's fairly impossible to have them all evil/ruthless/whatever. I mean, you can't take a bunch of people and say 'oh, they're all bad' or 'they're all good'. It just doesn't work that way.

Potter Stinks buttons: there's a Gryffindor-Slytherin rivalry stretching back to the Founding. They don't like Harry in the first place and the other houses (Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff) now don't think highly of Harry because they think he's trying to grab for more fame. Draco will do basically anything to bring Harry down. The badges are a really simple way of doing it and appearing to be doing it as a show of Hogwarts spirit (pressing the button would make it say Support Cedric, remember). Possibly someone in Hufflepuff came up with Support Cedric badges, and Draco modified a few to say Potter Stinks thing because, heck, they are enemies.

edit - oh, and ... *points to icon* I think that speaks for itself. :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:35:49 AM by Xan »

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 07:02:08 PM »

I agree with Xan...we just like to focus on our own success.

As to those Potter Stinks buttons:  I think Draco overdid it.  Subtlety never was his strong point, eh?  A good idea, taken too far.

::charms Xan::  That is just a cool pic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up