Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 271 times)

Cerberus

• Hufflepuff
  • Fifth-year
  • Bats aren't bugs.
    • View Profile
Hobbies
« on: August 24, 2004, 06:05:37 PM »

What are your hobbies? Your interests? What fascinates you?

I have art classes after school, I'm about to start self defence, probably sprint training, and maybe I'll do rugby/football (soccer). It all depends on how sporty I feel (I have asthma problems because of Hong Kong). I'm also going to continue the violin, and if all goes well and I have enough time (what with homework and friends) I'll do singing and guitar.
Apart from that, when I come home, my ultimate favourite thing to do is chomp on chocolate infront of my beautiful iMac, or listen to my stunning Ipod mini (pink! yay!).
I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 01:24:58 AM »

Oh man, i've got more hobbies than time to do them (which is a problem)

I'm really into my job, but also the fun elements of it. All of us staff members have a big long game with the system we play with and we do all sorts of wacky things. Im into playing the guitar (and im finaly starting to get good!) and listening to music. I listen to music about 90% of my waking hours. I'm not in school so i can pull that off. I'm also into hanging out on line, and ultomate frisbee. Once i go to colege im gonna try to get into Capurera, that brasilian dance martial arts style. Its so cool. I'm sure there are more things im interested in, but i cant think of them.  ;D
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 09:03:57 AM »

I belly dance and I run a Star Wars group as my hobbies. I wish I had more time to learn how to do costuming.  I'm just asking for 10 more hours in the day, is that too much to ask for?
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Sabriel Saraneth

• Ravenclaw Graduate
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • I Prefer PI.
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 03:42:20 PM »

I run cross country and track; I also do swim team, but I'm really more into running. Running is really the only sport I'm good at; I have poor hand-eye coordination and am generally clumsy, which rules out most ball-related sports. Oh well.

I've played flute for about eight years now and piccolo for about three and a half. I play in a youth orchestra, where I mostly get stuck playing piccolo because I'm better than the other flautists at it and no one else likes to play it. We played at Carnegie Hall in NY last summer and we're going on an international tour next summer, but I don't know where yet.

I used to take art classes when I was younger, when I really thought I would grow up to be an artist. I still love to draw, but now my career dreams have shifted to the sciences instead. And I don't get nearly enough time to draw as I used to.

I like doing origami, because it is something I can do while I'm doing other things; ie, I can fold origami and watch TV....I've got jars and jars of paper cranes.

Uh, I'm sure I  have other hobbies, I just can't think of them right now. Eating and sleeping are always good  ;D
Eat Pi. It's Mathematical And Delicious.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 01:28:19 PM »

I like to knit. It's fun to make stuff!

I write.

I read.

I watch way too much TV.

I program for fun.

I role-play. I run games.

Um.... I'm a geek with not enough time to endulge in all my hobbies, 'cause I haven't sewed in months. *sniffle*

Apparently I enjoy sitting on hold, 'cause I've been doing it all day it seems.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

AnimeZealot X

• Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 02:03:36 AM »

Hey ping, what RP system do you guys use? (or systems...ive a cross platform kind of person)
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 06:39:50 AM »

Ooh ... I RP too, but only online (as in text-based with no dice or strict rules). It's a pretty sweet setup.

My other hobbies would be ... lessee ...

The Internet. Couldn't live without it; it's bordering on unhealthy. Possibly already there, but that's neither here nor there. I post on several message boards and enjoy the company.

Reading. Fanfic, novels (mostly sci-fi/fanfasy), nonfiction, anything that's interesting.

I dabbled in programming for a while, but have since given that up for the most part ... typing code got tedious, which is probably not a good mindset for someone who plans to major in Computer Science. But anyway. I play videogames on occasion as well ... that's more of a "if I've got absolutely nothing better to do" kind of thing, though.

And I don't think school stuff counts as a hobby, so that's about it. :P
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 07:29:57 AM »

AZ: I use FUDGE in the game I run. My friend running the D&D game uses a combination of D&D 2nd edition and her own rules. My friend running the space game is using D20 Modern, with some stuff thrown in from the Future book, and the Grim and Gritty hit points. (My 5th level character has 16 HP. Bad if she gets shot.) :)

Personally, my favorite system is WEG's d6 system that they used for Star Wars. I've run several SW games, and the system makes so much sense to me, and is so easy to learn and use.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 09:16:01 AM »

*twitch*

Er... I like to read. A lot. I love video games, but the only two that hold my attention for very long are Final Fantasy and DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). Recently (Very recently, as in like, for the past 2 days) I've been interested in meditation and yoga breathing exercises. I am about the least fit person you're likely to meet, but I'm working on yoga before I move to tai-chi.

And the internet. I am a net addict. If it wasn't for the internet, I would have no social connection with anything. I've talked more on this board all summer than I have to my parents. I've created a few websites, none of which have gotten any traffic, but all of which have been fun to make. (Check out my profile for my favorite site I've made!) It's asinine how much this freaking metal box on my desk means to me. ::)

I love to act, but I don't care for community theater, so I have to wait for school to start before I get into that again.

Other than that, I don't do much. I don't particularly like TV, and I've officially retired from the sports scene after 7 years of soccer and 4 years of softball.

Oh, and AZ, that's awesome with the Capurera. We had a guy in my Drama class demonstrate it for us. If I was more athletic and coordinated with the money or the motivation or the resources to pursue that, I totally would. :laugh:
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »

I love to read, draw, take photos, and totally swoon over the guy behind me in Geometry. Shh... it won't last more than another week. :-* :-[ :-\
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »

Yay, Shelly! Another DDR addict! Woohoo!!!

*ahem* Pardon me. As you were.

One Ping Only

AnimeZealot X

• Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 01:59:05 AM »

Man, im not in the head set at all to play large quantities of DDR. I'm more of a Counter Strike, Rainbow Sheild kind of person myself. I need that adrenaline kick to have any sort of fun at all. I think next i'll step it up to actualy risking my life. I've always wanted to paraglide.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 08:53:59 AM »

Oooh, I could never do that. *shudders* Paragliding? You're crazy. I respect craziness. ;D

Yay! Ping! Another DDR addict?!?! *leaps for joy*

What level do you play on? What's your favorite song? Do you have the home version? Which one? *bombards Ping with DDR questions until her head falls off*
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Sabriel Saraneth

• Ravenclaw Graduate
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • I Prefer PI.
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 12:27:11 AM »

*joins the crowd*

Another DDR addict here, too  ::)

My brother and I bought a playstation a few weeks ago, and I convinced him to buy DDR. We have DDRMax2. So far, I've been able to get As or AAs on all of the songs in light mode except the five footprint songs. I've jsut started trying to do some songs in standard, but most have ended in failure  :-\ I'm just not very coordinated, which makes DDR a very bad thing, actually...the standard songs have too many of the eighth note beats, and I can't get through them without losing my balance and falling about a hundred times. My brother and I were trying to work through the songs together, but he is way ahead of me now. Though I must admit, I'm getting better - when we first started I was getting Ds on the light mode songs.

I bet you all are better than me...it doesn't take much  ;D

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 12:38:26 AM »

Barely. I've been playing for about eighteen months, and STILL I suck. It's frustrating, but I don't play to be better than anyone anymore. I can pass standard mode songs with C's or B's, as long as they don't have too much air. I lose my stamina really quickly when there's too many jumps in a row. So of course my favorite songs have to be BreAk Down End of the Century, with about a billion jumps each. I actually passed out playing EoTC once. ::)

Lately, though, with my horrible ankles, I've been playing on the controller more and more. *guilty look* It's really not much of a challenge anymore, I get AA's on almost every Heavy song, and my max combo is in the 4000's. But really, that's nothing to brag about, since its all thumb strength. *flexes super-buff thumbmuscles*

Sabriel Saraneth

• Ravenclaw Graduate
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • I Prefer PI.
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 12:45:52 AM »

Argh. I hate End of the Century. I mean, I like the song, but I sucked at it in light mode, and I'm scared to try it in standard. I've been able to pass maybe 10 songs in standard with an A, B, or C, but the rest have been Ds or failed. I like Hysteria on light mode - it was horrible in the beginning, but I can get a AA on it now while my brother can't. It's probably the one song I can beat him at. And Secret Rendezvous - I hate that song with a passion, but I had to do it so many times in the beginning to get an A on it that I can beat my brother on it too. I hate when you're playing and you get a higher grade than before, but the score is lower so it doesn't record. It drives me crazy!  >:(

I've never tried playing with the controller...I don't think we've done anything with the controllers yet. One of my brother's friends plays other non DDR games (like Tony Hawk) with the dance pad. He says it's funny.  :P

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 12:53:12 AM »

I tried playing a snowboard game with the dance pad once... it didn't work too well for me, but that's just cause I got all confused. ^_^

Oooh, I hate Secret Rendezvous! *scowls*

Oh, and I've never played EoTC in standard, either. I passed out in light, and I never tried on the dance pad again. The song is fun in Heavy though.

I LOVE Burning Heat and Xenon, too, and So Deep (Perfect Sphere Remix) is really cool. Oh! And Dream A Dream. Normally I can't tolerate Captain Jack, but I <3 Dream a Dream. ^___^

*realizes that she can't shut up, and resists the urge to slap herself silly* :laugh:

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 08:46:00 AM »

Hehe ... the only time I've ever played DDR is when my cousin got the mat for Christmas, and we and our brothers tried it out. We ended up collaborating - in that each of us would take one 'button' and push it in time. :P

Despite that we still didn't get far though. *cough*

I used to be really really hooked on Final Fantasy ... this was when it was still on the PS, before the PS2. The last game I've played is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which is this AWESOME roleplaying game ... *resists temptation to give in to gusher instincts*

;)

*wanders off to continue studying*
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 07:28:21 AM »

I got my PS2 just so I could play DDR. :) I have DDRMax and DDRMax2. I've been playing 2 more, though, because I am not really that good at light mode. I haven't gotten out of beginner mode, though some of the songs I've gotten AAs on. (Namely In the Navy and ... the one that's got the tune of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" in it, but I forget what it's called!) I like a lot of the songs, but my fave is Afronova, but I've yet to unlock it on my game. A friend has it and usually we play at her place, and she has it unlocked, and it ROCKS!

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 10:59:17 AM »

I <3 Afronova. And I think you're talking about Kakumei. I <3 that too. I <3 everything DDR. Except all those 70's songs in Max2. I don't <3 those. LOL, I think I've become addicted to the "<3" thing.

My stupid stupid dad stupid broke my stupid dance pad!!! I had it all modded and everything, I spent HOURS on that pad, not to mention the money, and he snapped the cord right in front of me just to spite me! *screams*

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2004, 11:09:17 AM »

Oh, that's totally mean!!! How did you mod your pad?

I think it's "Dream a Dream," actually.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 12:14:38 PM »

Oh, right. Kakumei's some other classical song I can't recall the name of.

I got a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the pad, and used packaging tape to tape it down. Then I took a piece of clear hardwood floor covering to cover it, and used a staple gun to keep it down. I did it with both of my pads. One of them wore out on its own, and the one that still worked is the one he broke. The pads themselves cost about 15 dollars each, with shipping and handling, and another 20 each to mod them, and I paid for it all myself.

Parents suck.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 05:08:51 PM »

Yes, they do!

I got my pads for 20 each at Best Buy. I don't know that I'm brave enough to mod them, though. I'd be scared of messing it up! (And I don't own a staple gun, though that's as good as any reason to buy one.) :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 06:08:53 PM »

I think once I get a new pad, I'll just tape it down instead of going through the covering. The whole reason I did it was to keep the pad from bunching up when I played, and I don't need the covering to do that. [link=http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/faqs-modding.php]Here's the link to the home modding technique I used, if you're interested.[/link]

You could probably borrow a staple gun from someone.

hairyhotter

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 03:23:16 AM »

I normally watch movies during free time. I am also a sports addict. Serioiusly, I can't live without sports!

damselfly

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »

Reading. Everything but sci-fi. I guess it's just a different appeal. And some thriller books, I'm not really into that.

Running.

Swimming.

Movies. This is major. I love any kind of movies except thrillers and horror. I don't understand why they're ever made.

TV. Self-confessed junkie.

Shopping. Bordering on shopaholic. Bad I know, but I'm keeping it under control.

Talking. That's not a hobby, is it?

Oh! And finding out random trivia about things, people, the world, stuff, pretty much anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up