Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 2 worlds  (Read 297 times)

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
  • Coke, Pepsi, Saline I.V.?
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
The 2 worlds
« on: June 30, 2004, 04:39:46 PM »

Now, as far as I understand, the Wizarding world is kept seperate (secret) from the Muggle world.

But, how does this work?

I mean, how can they be kept so seperate when you have Muggle!borns going to Hogwarts, and having wizards and witches living amongst muggles? Especially going out into public? I mean, the Quidditch world cup camping trip was quite a disaster if you look at it from the perspecive of keeping the 2 worlds seperate...the number of times they had to change that campground keepers memories was incredible! and I mean, I understand that they can do that, but not if it's for a whole big group of peope? and what about things that you don't really anticipate? like the whole flying car thing? how was that ever explained to the muggles??

I mean, I just don't really understand how Muggles have no clue about the Wizarding world with some of the stuff that goes on, especially with the Muggle!borns attending Hogwarts? Doesn't that mix the two worlds together instead of keeping them seperate?
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
Re: The 2 worlds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

Good question,Ro

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 04:46:39 PM »

why thank you! :D hopefully someone will have an answer!
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 04:52:21 PM »

Right and if they do have the right answer we will have to name them "The Wise One"::giggles:: :)

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 05:05:19 PM »

Well, I think that a lot of it can be explained away because the Muggles simply don't want to believe that they've really seen what they've just seen. No one wants to think that they're crazy, so they convince themselves that the cat was NOT reading a map, it was just a trick of the light.  ;D

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 05:08:30 PM »

"The Wise One" has come! :)

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 05:13:48 PM »

well, yeah, I guess that makes sense. LoL:)

but my main question is really about the muggle borns attending hogwarts. isn't that a mixing of the 2 worlds when everyone is trying so hard to keep them seperate?

oh, another question relating to that...how do they know how to get to Diagon Alley??
~*~Ro~*~

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 05:22:26 PM »

I'm sure someone guides them to it or gives them instructions that will allow them to find th pub.  Then someone at the pub gets them through the wall, I imagine.

As for the parents of Muggle-born students, I'm sure it's explained to them why the wizarding world is secret, and they are required to keep the secret for their own child's safety among other things.  Situations like the flying car can be explained by memory charms.  There were only a few people who saw it.  Anyone that the Obliviators miss can be explained by all the weird and hokey stories you see in tabloids that very few people really believe.

That's always been my thoughts, anyway.  JKR works very hard to explain most of these things in the book and I think she does a good job of it.  I've never questioned it.
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »

see, I always thought that maybe they just sent out instructions with the letters, but then I also wondered, would most people take the letters seriously? You know, I mean, all of a sudden one day getting a letter from a place called Hogwarts delivered by an owl inviting your 11 year old child to this magic-school...I don't know how many parents would really go for that or might think it's a hoax.

I know that if that happened to me, as a kid, I'd love it, but as a parent, I'd be more than suspicious about it...
~*~Ro~*~

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 06:49:23 PM »

Well, I read one fan fiction where Hermione's parents don't believe the letter, so McGonagall came and visited her. I imagine that sort of thing is possible. After all, when Harry's letters were ignored, Hagrid stepped in. I don't think there are too many Muggle born students that have to be contacted in any given year, so it would probably be possible to speak with parents in need of some convincing in person, wouldn't it?

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »

hmmm, I dont know! It does sound possible! I guess that brings up the question of how many muggle borns really are sent letters about Hogwarts!
~*~Ro~*~

Morgan Granger

• Gryffindor
  • Fifth-year
  • Gryffindor and Proud!
    • View Profile
    • Morgan's Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 07:59:51 PM »

How can two Muggles have a kid with magical powers? Also how does the Ministry of Magic find out these kids have powers? 

It's the same as two black-haired people producing a redheaded child. Sometimes these things just happen, and no one really knows why! The Ministry of Magic doesn't find out which children are magic. In Hogwarts there's a magical quill which detects the birth of a magical child, and writes his or her name down in a large parchment book. Every year Professor McGonagall checks the book, and sends owls to the people who are turning 11. 

That explains how they know about Muggle-Born kids.

I think that Muggles just don't want to be thought weird - of course we know that Muggles have found out about Magic, but they believe it to be folklore - take "fairy tales" for instance - they talk about one species of animals in the wizarding world for goodness sakes! And, the Yeti is also known as Bigfoot - where have I heard THAT before....?

I hold onto secrets, in White Houses
White Houses, Vanessa Carlton

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 09:11:06 PM »

Also, I could imagine some parents would believe it because their child is able to do weird things without the typical, normal explanations (kind of like Harry was able to do, without his even knowing it or trying). 

I agree, too, with Mad that I'm sure some parents would be more than willing to keep the secret for the safety of their child(ren).  Also, recall that Lily said her parents were thrilled that Lily was a witch.  They thought it would be so useful to have a witch in the family.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 03:16:01 PM »

Now you know why my family doesn't hate them, merely pity them.
 :)

Seriously, though, the whole Muggle-vs-Magic is genetic.  That's why it works the way it does.

And as for separation-vs-mixing of the two worlds, as long as those Muggles who persecute us don't find out, what's wrong with welcoming half-bloods and Muggle-borns into our ranks?  It causes no problem, and in fact can help us to better deal with Muggles.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 11:56:55 PM »

It's not really genetic, I don't think ... if it was, then they'd have to be recessive genes and whatnot coding for magical blood, and there would be a lot more Squibs and less Muggle-borns. Magical ability is something that can't be explained by science (either that, or it's beyond current technology).

I think Muggle-borns would also get a different letter from the one Harry got ... I mean, they thought he already knew about magic (Hagrid did, rather, but since Dumbledore left a letter I think that's what they all expected), and he's mage-born, so they'd send him the ordinary one. They'd probably include a more in-depth explanation of the wizarding world in the Muggle-born letter.

As for secrecy ... well, if Muggles started raving about wizards and Hogwarts to the press, they'd dismiss them as lunatics, wouldn't they? Nobody would believe them, and all they'd have for proof is a letter.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 10:21:15 PM »

I think personally that magic is more genetic than not. We only see a couple of squibs in the book, but there are whole catalogs and courses for squibs. You don't get that sort of thing if there's only one or two here or there.

As for Muddle-born wizards, how many have we seen? Lily and Hermione. Any others? Dean Thomas, the West Ham fan. Three out of how many? Maybe there are others I'm not thinking of, but I think there are quite a lot of half-and-halfs, or partials, or whatever.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 11:45:10 PM »

//giggles//

Partials?  You mean as in dentures? :P

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 12:34:24 AM »

I find it funny that you see the world "partials" and the first thing you think of is dentures. ^_^

I've always wondered if there's like, a convention for muggle parents of magical kids. I mean, the letter from Hogwarts has to be an even bigger shock for the parents, doesn't it? How much do they know about the magical world, anyways? And if an entire group of parents decided that they wanted people to know about the wizarding world, the rest of the muggles would have a hard time ignoring it, wouldn't they?
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Louise Black

• Ravenclaw
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 06:50:42 AM »

Well, I always that the wizards were expaining weird people you saw in the streets, the ones who look strange, and so the ones that aren't entirely accepted by muggles, who would just have a rule about what's normal and what isn't, they aren't tolerant either I suppose. Perhaps the muggle-borned children who are accepted in Hogwarts have more tolerant parents than others, I don't remember seing unhappy parents, Hermione's parents were happy, Lily's parents were glad also...

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 08:39:07 AM »

True, Louise.  I've always thought the same as well:  these are the people whom our "normal" society think are just a bit ... "different" (I hate to say it, but I'm probably one of those abnormal people).  Their parents, therefore, have probably dealt with their abnormality for years.  It might even be kind of nice to have an explanation for it.

But I agree, Shelly, that if the muggle parents of wizarding children wanted to have a conference or support group or even decide to become PR for Hogwarts, it would be devastating.

I suppose, however, that if they are that fond of Hogwarts, then they wouldn't want to break the Secrecy thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up