Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Students  (Read 360 times)

Kelpie

• Tri-wzard Tournament Winner
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Life, isn't it a beautiful sight?
    • View Profile
Students
« on: November 13, 2004, 12:01:40 PM »

This question came to me a couple of months ago, if not years, but hey, I never asked it.

How is it, that at Hogwarts, where you can eat pretty much as much as you like, and the food can be quite heavy and fatty and all, seing how Scotland is in the North; and there are no real sport classes (not everyone does quidditch, and it is a sport, but it's the broomstick which is doing at lot of the work). Anyway, to cut to the chase, how it it that all the students aren't fat?
Better be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Students
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 04:43:27 PM »

I guess I've always thought that that was part of the fairy tale charm of it:  eat whatever you want, as much as you want, and don't worry about it. 

If you want to be a realist about the HP world, then that's a great question.  Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Kelpie

• Tri-wzard Tournament Winner
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Life, isn't it a beautiful sight?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 07:04:36 PM »

But they are different shapped. Some are kind of round, and others stick thin, some medium, (funny, they don't talk about people with six packs ;)). Sure, it can be all about their metabolisms, but alot of fit people are only what they are because they do sports.
And I wouldn't think it's all in the magic. There are plenty enough ugly witches and wizards, so if it was all up to magic, wouldn't every wizard be a stunner?
Better be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 06:20:47 AM »

Maybe it's cause they when they cast spells it takes up energy? And they do walk around the school from lesson to lesson, and hey! Maybe Hagrid's lesson does it for them! They're forever running away from whatever creatures he brings to the lesson! ;)

They're my guesses, otherwise, I don't know.

And I wouldn't think it's all in the magic. There are plenty enough ugly witches and wizards, so if it was all up to magic, wouldn't every wizard be a stunner?
Yeah, I mean look how Pansy Parkinson turned out ;D
(no offence like, had to think of someone, and she's, well, she's described as 'pug-faced' in the books)
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »

Hmm, why aren't students fat...well, some of it can be explained by midnight-sneaking...some by Hagrid's classes...

Perhaps it's thanks to a potion that the house-elves are allowed to use in the preparation of the food.  Mix a little bit in with the food, and it becomes less fattening, while keeping all of its savour and flavor.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 09:59:42 AM »

Maybe we just don't see the fat students. :P
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 11:09:12 AM »

Yeah.  The only "fat" person we see at all is Dudley.  Crabbe and Goyle are described as large and huge, but I think I always assumed that meant bone structure, physique, muscle -- not fat. 

damselfly

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »

What about Neville? When I read the books, I never thought of him as fat, but they did depict him as fat- ish in the movie. Why is it that they automatically feel that people who are clumsy and klutzy are fat? (Living proof: Xan's the klutziest person I know - she's going to kill me - but she's skinny as anything!  :o Consider that a compliment Xan, You're thinner than me! grr!  >:( )

Anyway, i think that it's because of all the walking and running up and down the stairs. Hogwarts is so big, and they need to run around a lot to get to classes in time. They always seem to be running. And! Also, maybe it's all the cheering they do when they watch Quidditch, all that screaming and jumping up and down.

I don't think Quidditch burns that much calories anyway. You're not really WORKING out, just flying your broom, right?

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 07:27:52 PM »

Well, I think they depict him kinda pudgy because he is supposed to have a round face.  Besides, it's probably to some degree a function of who best could play the part.  After all, Hermione isn't supposed to be as cute as she is in the movies.  She's supposed to have buck-teeth and bushy hair.  And Ron is supposed to be thin and tall. 

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:35:09 AM »

I have wondered if the mental image of the actors has influenced JKR's writing of the last 2 books.  I had always pictured Ron looking more like the actors playing the twins, and the twins looking more like the actor playing Ron.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 06:58:06 PM »

If those elves are giving those kids a potion, I want some of it.  What can I say? I'm lazy, I do my normal workouts 5 times a week and all but we are in an age of loosing the weight fast.

I don't think I've put that much thought into it, I'll have to reread all the books again. Wahoo, something to do.  :roll:
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »

I had a new thought on the skinny thing. What if it has to do with the amount of energy it takes to cast magic? What if it burns off extra energy?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 08:57:36 PM »

I don't think I ever pictured the whole population of Hogwarts as thin until the movies. Not everyone is (Neville), but the majority is. But they're actors, most of the time casting directors choose skinny people. Another blasted stereotype.

But it would be cool if it turned out that it was magical or something in the books. I can buy the idea that their metabolisms work faster than ours or something like that, but having the elves put something in the meals is much more amusing.  :roll:  It would give new meaning to "it's in the water."

Am I the only one that pictured Fred and George as chubby?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 09:41:31 PM by Christine »
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 08:41:14 AM »

Well, they're supposed to be "stocky" according to their descriptions in book 1, and Ron is supposed to be tall and skinny.  Oddly, though, even though that's how they're described, I probably always pictured them more or less as they are in the movie.  Funny how your mind does that ....

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 01:20:40 PM »

I think I'm with you, Cho. But I also pictured Ron as dark-haired and short, so don't go by my judgement. ;)

Something in the water? Can I get some of that water??? :(
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 11:29:36 PM »

I was thinking about this topic a few days ago and then it hit me.  Fluer or however her name is spelt.  Made a comment about the heavy foods at hogwarts not allowing her to fit into her gown or whatever for the ball.

Maybe it's the stairs, I think the castle would give those buns of steel workouts a run for their money.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up