Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hogsmeade fair or not  (Read 396 times)

amandahilary

hogsmeade fair or not
« on: June 05, 2004, 08:32:12 PM »

ok so in the third book harry is not aloud to go to hogsmeade becuse he hs to haveparent orguardian sinater faire or not

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: hogsmeade fair or not
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 11:00:35 PM »

It is entirely fair.  It's not up to the school to decide things like that.  Some parents doubtless would not want their children going into Hogsmeade for very good reasons.  Perhaps the child obviously needed more study time to improve poor marks.  Perhaps the child couldn't hold on to a knut if he tried, and the parents simply couldn't afford to pay for all the things he'd buy (assuming he's able to buy on some form of credit.)  Perhaps they don't approve of certain people/establishments in the town and don't trust their child to avoid them because they've been asked.

The bottom line is that it is a school rule.  If the school rule is unfair, that is another matter.  Still, the rule stands, and Harry's guardians did not sign the form.  Therefore it would be unfair to make a special exception for Harry.  (Besides, he's the one who lost his temper and blew up Aunt Marge.)
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »

In all fairness, too, part of the reason he wasn't allowed to go had little to do with the form and much to do wit the fact that an escaped killer was supposedly out to kill him. 
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:21:16 PM »

Look at it this way:  don't you have to get a signed permission form to go on some class field trips?

Also, remember the rather unsavory types who like to hang around near Hogsmeade?  Do we really want students getting involved with them?  That's also a reason for the age-limit.  First-years would just get swallowed up by characters like those.

Finally, I doubt that Harry would have been allowed to go, even if his form had been signed.  After all, there was someone supposedly out to kill him.  He would have been left behind anyway.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 03:02:19 AM »

*blinks*

I thought the permission form thing was perfectly normal. I mean, here we had to submit signed permission forms (to which the school would attach a lengthy explanation about the trip in question) to go anywhere, even a science centre down the road. It makes sense for Hogwarts to make students obtain their parents' permission before allowing them off school grounds.

It's a rule, just like every other. You have to be a second-year to be allowed a broom, you're only allowed to pick one of three species as a pet, you have to wear a uniform, etc.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Eliza MacLaren

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • We're better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:03:13 AM »

I think it's fair, though I can understand why Harry doesn't think so.  All of his friends get to go, and it isn't his fault that his Uncle and Aunt are so... Dursley-ish. 
However, rules are rules.  Harry should have learned by nowthat even he is not above the rules, though he does seem to bend them as far as he can.  He should just be glad that it's only one form that needs signing.  On my trips in high school, we had at least half a dozen, and three of them ended like this... *pulls out old folder, and rumages until she finds one*
"Participation in this activity could result in injury or DEATH.  The school, and any groups affiliated with this trip, are not accountable for any injury or DEATH that may occur during a student's participation."
Though perhaps that would be more fitting, given the circumstances.
"O be wise; what can I say more?"  - Jacob 6: 12

RSM

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • I ♥ Stanley James Gilliard
    • View Profile
    • my xanga
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 08:07:33 PM »

NOT FAIR.. the school KNOWS he has no one to sign the permission slip.. I mean.. y not let him go..
♥ J e s s i c a R e n e e ♥

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »

Um, perhaps because they think some crazed murderer has broken out of Azkaban to come after him and kill him?  Just a thought.

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 10:28:32 PM »

I think it's fair.I mean if thier parents don't want them to go why should the school go against their wishes?

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 07:57:15 AM »

Technically, Harry doesn't have 'no one' to sign his slip. He's got his guardians, the Dursleys; they just didn't sign it to make him suffer.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

RSM

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
    • my xanga
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 09:30:56 PM »

Yeah, I crazed murderer OK look there's People  :police:EVERYWHERE :police: in Hogsmeade.. He has ppl watching for this guy i mean he's  :police:wanted :police: what do you expect?! :-\ ???

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 01:15:28 PM »

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Could you edit your post using standard English?

Also, could you please not use your signature as some sort of strange personal ad? Or at least use standard English for it?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 02:51:07 PM »

I agree with Ping , its hard to read and don't I understand it

RSM

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
    • my xanga
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 01:54:43 AM »

Sorry..being hypocritical again.. I was saying, that a wanted man is after him.. there's authorities EVERYWHERE.. such as police perhaps :police:

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 09:39:16 PM »

I'll probably end up just repeating what everyone else said.  It's fair that he wasn't allowed to go.  The school is incharge of him while he's away from home.  If something happens to him while he's there, they have to take care of him.  Also have some crazed madman is after him as well.

Sure with hindsight we see that his visits into Hogsmead nothing bad happened, well besides the whole Draco thing and all, but at the time we didn't know the Black wasn't after him at all. 
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 05:19:18 PM »

Of course they would have to get a permission slip signed, if something happened to them they school would be held accountable. I really think Dumbledore has better things to worry about than lawsuits.

And, just like everyone above me has said, CRAZED MURDERER ON THE LOOSE! Probably not a good time for the teachers to let the 13 year old boy he's supposedly after go running around a wizarding village, especially without any form of consent from the adults responsible for him. Can you say child endangerment suit?
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 09:48:44 PM »

*amused*  Of course, I can see how a thirteen-year-old like Harry or Ron might not think it was fair.

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 07:52:40 PM »

I don't understand how Dumbledore could let Harry go even after Sirius gives him permission. If something happened to him the school would still be held accountable because his legal guardians didn't give their consent. If something were to happen to him they couldn't very well say "Well we got permission from his godfather, you know the one that's wanted for blowing up a man in the middle of the street full of muggles." Sure that's exaggerating, but still it's not entirely legal, the authorities wouldn't be happy. :police: It's great for Harry, Hermione, and Ron, but it's risky.

Not that the Dursley's would ever place blame on the school for something happening to Harry, they'd be much to busy celebrating.
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 09:15:15 AM »

Technically, Sirius is more of Harry's guardian than the Dirsley's. The only reason why he couldn't stay with him, was because he was in jail. So for him to sign the permission slips gives it more validity than if the Dirsley's signed it.  If someone has a Godparent they become the caretaker of the child(ren) if something happens to the parents. 
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 09:40:23 AM »

Besides, who knows what a "legal" guardian is in the Harry Potter world.  I mean, the Dursleys' are Harry's legal guardians in the muggle world, but what would the magical world know or care about that?

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 10:48:20 AM »

Well, since Dumbledore *personally* dropped him off at their house....  ;)  But, yeah, I hadn't thought of it that way.  That brings up a very interesting legal question.  I wonder.  I'd imagine, what with a history of witch burnings and such, that wizards would generally consider wizarding law to trump Muggle law, wouldn't you?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »

I would think so, though I sort of got the impression that wizard law is more to protect the wizarding world from the muggle, rather than about all the pesky details like legal guardianship and all the other stuff Muggle law is involved in.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only
Pages: [1]   Go Up