Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: POA reviews  (Read 788 times)

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: POA reviews
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2004, 10:39:14 AM »

Yes, but when push came to shove and he actually DID make a real, bonified, charging-stag Patronus, did they use the right memory THERE?  (I haven't seen the film yet.)  As I recall, the happy thought in the book at that point was that he'd already done it and saved himself and Hermione.  Or, in other words, that he had been able to conjur a real, bonified Patronus.  Kind of ironic, isn't it?  Did they mention that in the movie?
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2004, 04:41:32 PM »

No.  I don't fault them for it.  It's just that it wasn't thinking of his parents, it was thinking of being with or seeing his parents, which really just isn't a memory.  Sure it's a happy thought, but not a memory.  That might be a distinction without a difference, but there it is.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »

Thanks, Tia, I appreciate it. I have the same problem as Cho with the movie "memory." It never really happened, so I don't think that it would qualify as a happy memory. I think the charging-stag-happy-thought was that he was free of the Dursleys and going to go live with Sirius, his grandfather. In the film, however, it wasn't specified.

Pro. Snape

• Potions Master and Head of Slytherin
  • Administrator
  • Second-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2004, 10:16:50 AM »

5 points to Miss Tiamat for actually looking up this in formation in the book and answering the question.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »

Of course, going to live with Sirius isn't a memory, it's an expectation. (This is arguable, so I guess I won't push it.) But he could technically have a subconcious memory of his parents talking to him...he remember's Voldemort trying to kill him after all. And parents talk to babies all the time. They never said it was a fake memory in the movie, that was just the 15 minute thing being funny. (And succeeding) It could have been real.

Okay, now I'm just being petty.  ;)
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

jimlen

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2004, 03:00:56 PM »

Of the three movies, Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite.  I favored the way it was shot and the more realistic look than the fairy tale appearance of the first two movies.  I did not mind that there were scenes and information missing from the movie.  I think the filmaker knew that the people going to the movie would be fan(atical) about Harry Potter, and would have already read the book.  There would not be a need to include as much of the back story and explanation because the viewer already knows what is going on.  There would be no need to show the viewer what they already knew.  Was it a great movie?  No.  Was it a good way to spend an afternoon?  Yes. 

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2004, 05:14:14 PM »

Well, part of his problem in the books with creating a patronus, I think, was that, even though it was a horrible, awful memory, he was still hearing his mother's voice, something he couldn't remember otherwise. I think it was probably hard to hold on to another memory, no matter how happy, when something he's longed to hear for a long, long time comes by letting it go.

While I think that, in general, they did a good job with Lupin, the training scene left me feeling cheated, because those were some of the best scenes in the book, I felt, and while it might have been hard to show visually, it bothered me that they didn't try, that there was no attempt to show that, even though he was getting his face sucked off, he was hearing his mother, which was making it hard.

*gets out duct tape* Okay, I'm done grousing, really. Oh, and Tia, take 3 for looking up the reference for us. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2004, 11:42:24 PM »

Ping, that also bothered me. I kept expecting to hear some of the actual dialogue from the books, or to even see a flashback to Voldemort attacking the Potters, but they didn't, and that bothered me.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 01:29:14 PM »

Wow.  Tia is twice blessed for finding the info.... ;)

I thought the movie was ... okay.  I tried to evaluate it on its own terms (i.e. as a movie rather than a movie made from a book), and I thought it was quite choppy and jerky.  Several people who went to see the movie with me had read the books but aren't fanatical about them.  For example, they needed me to review the entire story (books 1-3) before going to see it.  Afterward, they had lots of questions because the movie left lots of holes.  To me, that's not a good movie.  If the story isn't coherent enough to answer most of the important questions, it's got a problem.

I agree that I liked the setting of the school much better.  The word that Ju and I keep using is "organic."  It's just a more organic movie.

One thing I thought was really missed was a follow up to the prophecy from Trelawney.  I don't think that Cuaron should rely on the audience to draw the connection between Trelawney's prediction and Wormtail's "escape"--that should have been done for us.  Just another instance of lack of coherence.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2004, 11:27:14 PM »

I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but I do plan on doing that soon.

anywho, about the movie.  It was enjoyable and it kept my intrests for that part.  But as for as being closer to the book like i had hopped.  Um no, that didn't happen.  I wish it had given more of a background on the friendship of the Mauraders and such. 

I didn't likehow they had Hermione popping in and out of classes, she never did that in the class it self, mostly outside or in the hallways. 

I soooooooooo wanted much more of Prof. Snape time on the screen though.  he's such a great character and needs to have more of the spotlight I think. 

I liked the people who played Lupin and Sirius though, I had my doubts but it came across rather well. 

People at my work that have read the books liked the movie, but didn't like it with how off it was from the book.  Those who haven't read the books enjoyed the movie so much more than the others. 

If they made it into a 3 hour movie, it would have been so much cooler.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2004, 12:26:26 PM »

It's rather difficult to make a "childrens' movie" that lasts longer than 2 hours, though.  Kids get fidgety, and producers won't

Don't throw those rotten veggies!  You know as well as I do that PoA has been packaged as a "kiddie movie", no matter how much we know differently.  Most of this film's revenue came from parents.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2004, 06:11:38 PM »

I would say that they should also do "adult" versions of the movie, but I think that would lead us down a discussion path we need not consider.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 10:05:22 PM »

It's rather difficult to make a "childrens' movie" that lasts longer than 2 hours, though.

Now that you say that, it makes me reconsider the idea of a mini-series. I thought it to be a not-so-good idea at first, but for GoF it would certainly be better than a 4-hour movie that drags on for kids, or a two hour movie that misses too many details.

PoA might have been better as a 3-hour movie, but I still think it worked out fine the way it was, even though it's a "kiddie" movie.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Fang

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2004, 09:28:47 PM »

I ABSOLUTELY hated this movie.   I think that the director was bad at making it.  The first thaing that bothered me was they were always in regular clothes.  I thought that while at hogwarts you were only allowed to have robes on (unless you in your dormitory) two he moved the location of things around i.e. hagrids hut.  it was only a short walk from the castle in 1 and 2 three they go a new dumbledore who sucked.  he was to modern talking i always thought of dumbledore as this guy with a calming dreamy voice.  i dont know maybe its me.  i also hated how he changed it in the book it says they ran up to the whomping willow and touched a know on it and it was paralyzed.  in this one lupin just casted imobulus i also wanted to see some more of lupins classes they were so wonderfully described in PoA but he didnt show any of the little creatures that they learned about but a few.  i dont know maybe it was just me   lol anyway what do ya'll think???  *WHOOF*

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2004, 07:19:55 AM »

I actually preferred the new Dumbledore, at least to a point. I still think they didn't really capture him, but I felt he was much more the kooky old guy who's not really quite as nuts as he pretends to be. Which is what I always pictured him as.

I didn't mind stuff moving about so much. I didn't much like the first movies, either, so some of the changes were actually welcome.

I thought they did a pretty good job with Lupin. They didn't have a lot of time to show him, but they got across a lot about him in the short time they spent on him. I went in not expecting to like how they handled his character, and was pleasantly surprised.

POA was my favorite of the movie adaptations so far. Which doesn't mean I didn't hate some of the things they left out. There's no possible reason for Harry to think he saw his dad, because he didn't know about the animagus stuff, and that his dad would turn into a stag.

And Sirius just wasn't sexy enough. ;)

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2004, 08:46:05 PM »

Ping, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in both the book and the movie, Harry thought he saw his dad because he saw himself and mistook himself for his dad.  Isn't that right?  Or are you referring to something else?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »

I always thought that Harry thought his dad saved him because he saw the stag, not because he saw himself. I thought. Could be wrong. Don't have time to look it up right now. :(

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 11:04:02 PM »

I don't think so. I think he pretty much says, "I thought I saw my dad, but I realized it was me..." (or some such phrase).  It's not till after the scene at the lake, etc., that he asks Lupin if his father's animagus was a stag, IIRC

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2004, 08:12:25 AM »

*feels really embarrassed* I finally looked it up, and you're right.

*crawls under a sofa*

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up