Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: POA reviews  (Read 789 times)

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
POA reviews
« on: June 04, 2004, 11:28:11 PM »

saw it tonight.

I thought it was good. Better, much better than the first two. But there was still alot that didn't work for me. I thought that what they included was awesome, but there was soooo much that was left out. And I didn't like the Dementor effects, when it was sucking at Harry and Sirius. That was weird. And I definitely was mad there wasn't a shot of the stag galloping across the lake. And the werewolf Lupin looked awful. I didn't like the way the backstory came out in the Shack, nor did I care for the way the action unfolded in that scene. And the timeturner sequence seemed to happen wayyyyy too fast. Also, Crookshanks was practically non-existant. Whats up with that? The Ron/Hermione fight was way underplayed. And I couldn't believe what they did with the Firebolt subplot. I missed the Quidditch immensely. I think they should have mentioned that Draco was using his "injury" to get out of the Quidditch match with the storm scheduled. Also,Oliver Wood, I love you. Why couldn't I see you win your Quidditch Cup?

Another thing that bugged was that Snape found Harry and the map in the middle of the night. Yeah right that he wouldn't have taken a ton of points from gryffindor and given Harry a week's worth of detentions. I did want Lupin to tell Harry that Moony Wormtail Padfoot and Prongs would have thought it was funny to lure Harry out of the castle. And also, Harry mastered the Patronus way too quickly.

Wolfsbane potion should have been touched upon besides Sirius mentioning it, which made no sense since there was absolutely no way for him to know about it. And it was retarded for werewolf Lupin to attack dog Sirius, since the whole point of James and Sirius and Peter becoming animagi was because as animals they could be with Lupin without being hurt.

Missed the Trelawny scenes alot. I was waiting for "can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender" and also the Trelawny/McGonagall disdain. And the Lavender/Parvati adoration of Divination.

Hermione is not believable as the "smartest witch of her age" in the movies. She doesn't seem smart at all. Her character is not that great in the films. A major low point was when she tried talking to werewolf Lupin. Moron. I think that its probably Emma Watson's fault. She's not that great of an actress. On the other hand, Rupert Grint is brilliant. He's got great comedic timing. I <3 Ron. He does him justice.

And finally, who was that fat black kid, and why did he keep talking???? I could not for the life of me figure out why he was there. Dean Thomas had only one line ("boggart"-- brilliant Dean, even better than "Neville's got a Rememberall") but the random fat kid was popping up all over. Whatevia.

But I loved that there weren't the meaningless action sequences that plagued the first two movies (Harry falling out of the Ford Anglia, anyone?) And there were some very cute moments. Overall, everything seemed much more natural than the other films. Some great touches were the wilting flowers, and Marge floating in the sky. The talking head in the Knight Bus was a riot. I thought the score was excellent. The Boggart scene was absolutely amazing.

Cutest thing eva? Ron telling Hermione "it's too late, they'll have to cut it off." Totally a subtle thing, but way too cute. Also, loved them on the Hogsmeade date.

Even though it had major shortcomings, it was sooooo much more enjoyable than the other two. They'll just never satisfy the psychos like me.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
Re: Prisoner of Azkaban Movie Rumors, News, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 02:43:09 AM »

Hehe....just got back from the movie myself. I loved it. What I did was...not read the book before I went like I did the other times. Actually, it's been over a year since I've cracked it. So, I wasn't spending the entire time trying to match the movie to the book.

Instead I just sat through it, laughed when it was funny and let myself enjoy it as a movie. There was so much randomness and magic stuff and little things to notice, that I know I didn't get them all. I need to see it again. I love randomness.

In this case...it was MUCH better than the other two. I wasn't wincing at bad lines or acting. I didn't cringe at any superflous scenes, or lack thereof. And this is strange, because I am a very picky movie person.

All I can say is when I came out I felt refreshed. It was just fun, like the books for me are just fun. It didn't take itself too seriously, nor did it over-dramatize the serious bits like the first two. The funny lines seemd mroe funny and less cliche. There were some really good ones.

I liked them wearing normal clothes most of the time. I liked the scene with the animal candy. I really liked Harry kicking his table when he was annoyed. I like the silliness between Hermione and Ron. I liked the Macbeth song (Frogs!). And I LOVED the knight bus.

Also, the change of scenery for Hogwarts is great. Notice it. That's an order. It's beautiful.

I didn't find anything I seriously disliked. And this is ME talking. I hate everything ;)

Maybe when I see it again, or a third time, I'll pick out something irritating. Like the werewolf. It's wasn't the best animation ever (Lord of the Rings has ruined us) but it didn't grate (For me. Sorry, Lauren). Dobby grated. I hated Dobby's animation.

Let me see if I can dredge something up. Harry seemed a bit old for thirteen, but DUH. Once I just ignored the fact he was supposed to be thirteen I didn't care. Um...they left a lot out, but hey, its a LONG book, and if you can't take the editing in this one, don't watch Goblet of Fire, and what they'll have to do to it. I think they did a very good job on editing. The only thing I really missed was more explanation on the Marauders, like Lauren said, but it didn't bother me, per se. Maybe I was just in a good mood.

And, yeah, who the heck was that black kid? Probably someone in production's son.

The girls next to me in the theater were complaining that neither Sirius nor Remus were good looking. I could have hit them. Where does the book say they're good looking (of course, I might have missed it)? And I thought the actors did a great job, looks or no. Especially the new Dumbledore. And Fudge. Even Harry, who, sorry, I didn't like in the other two. It might have been the director.

So there's my positive review. I know, I know, I gushed. Sorry. But I really enjoyed it and had to. So those of you who want to tear it apart may now do so :)

Note: There was actually someone in the theater dressed as a Slytherin. Finally. I always feel outnumbered. (Bring it on, Gryffindors)

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

AHD

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 10:56:50 AM »

I was disappointed - I thought this movie was the furthest away from the book and my husband and I couldn't help but wonder if we didn't know the story so well, would we have gotten the movie? - It was very disjointed. 

Also, did anyone notice towards the beginning of the movie, Harry's scar was in the wrong place?  Not sure if I saw it right.

Permlessgirl

• Ravenclaw
  • Prefect
  • Fourth-year Student
  • "S'up Figgy?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 10:31:08 PM »

My experience was very much like Tia's. I decided not to re-read the book before this film, so it'd been over a year. I was able to enjoy the movie on its own and not compare it to the book too much. I really liked it a lot.

I only have a few complaints. It never explained why Lupin knew how to work the mauraders map in the end. Are people who haven't read the books supposed to just guess that Lupin is Moony? It didn't give enough background on the mauraders. Did it even mention that James was one too? And I was a little annoyed that nobody ever told Harry that the stag was his father's Anamangi form.

Lupin and Sirius I liked. At first I wasn't sure about them but they won me over very quickly. The boggart scene with Lupin was really good, but I wish it hadn't been cut so short. I also quite liked Michael Gambon, we finally got to see the crazy Dumbledore and his odd sense of humor  :) . What did you all think of Buckbeak? I was impressed, but I went in with low expectations for all things animated

They cut McGonagall's best PoA line: "Which one of you will be dying this year?" :(

Other cutest movie line: "would you like to move closer? ...to the shrieking shack?"

I would like to take this opportunity to be incredibly mature and say IN YOUR FACE H/H people! Muahhaha R/H R/H R/H. *cough* excuse me. Had to let that out...
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,"

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoner of Azkaban Movie Rumors, News,
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 10:46:33 PM »

Tia, I don't recall about Lupin, but it DOES say that Sirius was very handsome... um... in the photo.  I think 13 years in Azkaban might just ruin one's looks, though.

Besides, it's a movie, so we expect it.  There are books that plainly state that the main character is rather plain, but when it's made into a movie they cast some beautiful being in the role.  You just naturally expect movie main characters (hero types, anyway) to be attractive.  ....  It's such a nice bonus.   ;D
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 12:13:30 AM »

True, I guess, but I always prefer acting to looks. Any day.

And yes, this H/H person has been suitably chastised.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: POA reviews
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:31:57 AM »

I would like to say that I picture Sirius and Lupin as handsome, but then, I also have a hard time not picturing Ron as a short hispanic kid, because my sis had a friend named Ron who fit that description. I didn't rereadthe book, and it's probably actually been over two years since I read POA, but I still felt somewhat let down.

My review:

I liked Lupin, even though he didn't look at all like I pictured him. (The moustache was ... kind of icky and unncessary, IMNSHO.) I think they captured Lupin's teaching method, though, how he instilled confidence in his students. And I liked the scratches on his face. I don't remember that from the book, but it fit so well with what we know of him. A nice extra touch.

Speaking of extra touches, I liked more of the ones that were added. The extra scenes in the first two movies didn't always advance the plot or characterization, but these did. Even the animal candy. What a big difference from what Harry experiences on Privet Drive!

The Knight Bus seemed unnecessarily over the top. And the time transitions between the seasons, while amusing, seemed ... just too much. I couldn't really tell you why.

Fudge is so spot-on! The actor, who I loved as Seigfried in All Creatures Great and Small, does a fabulous job capturing him. And I loved the pin-stripe robe. It was one of those things that tickled me in the book, and it was fun to see it come to life.

Sirius the dog being fully CGI was frustrating. I know they couldn't do the Dog vs. Werewolf as easily, but it was frustrating. And he didn't look like I pictured him. And the werewolf was just ugly. Where was the WOLF? Blah.

I actually thought the dementor effect was cool (except for the soul bit, which seemed corny), but I didn't like that they flew. Dementors should not be able to fly! That's just all levels of wrong!!!

Unless you've read the books, there's no way that Lupin should know that the spare bit of parchment was really a map, not just a joke item. I didn't like the axing of the James/Lupin/Sirius connection, of how they could fight Lupin as animagi, of how James turned into a stag, 'cause why the heck else would Harry be thinking that his dad had shown up???

Yes, Harry learned the Patronus charm WAY to easily.

And it was retarded for werewolf Lupin to attack dog Sirius, since the whole point of James and Sirius and Peter becoming animagi was because as animals they could be with Lupin without being hurt.

Actually, it wasn't that they wouldn't be hurt, but that they wouldn't be turned into werewolves as well.

And Peter Pettigrew was ... blah. Over the top with the teeth and the nails. He just looked stupid, not rat-like. You know, Bennie from the Mummy would have been great as Wormtail!

I liked the new Dumbledore a lot more than I did Richard Harris's Dumbledore, but he's still just not quite right. I don't know what I want, though, so I suppose I shouldn't criticize.

The lighting was freaking annoying, though. It looked the same level at midnight and at noon. Yes, PoA is a darker story, but that doesn't mean you have to cut out all the lights! The material is dark, dang it! The lighting doesn't have to be!

So, overall, it was okay, but there were still things I didn't like, as with the other movies. The books will always be much better. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 01:53:11 AM »

You know what was wrong with Fudge as Seigfried? I kept expecting him to pat Buckbeak on the head and give him a suppository.  ;D

Um...I'm sorry guys, I know there was a time when I could make intelligent posts. It seems to have fled, though.

The exposition on the Marauders was a bit shaky now that I think about it...but....what are the chances that ANYONE in the theater hasn't read the book? Aside from possibly some parents who are only there to see it with thier kids anyway? The 'read the book' population is so big, not to mention the fanatic population, that I don't think the director cares about the 'haven't read it' set. They'll make enough money as-is.

Yeah, it's all about the money. I feel sorry for anyone who couldn't get something because they hadn't read the book, but I haven't met one yet.

Actually, I think I'm just argumentative. Sorry. Again.  :-\

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:28:08 AM »

The things that realy annoyed me in POA were:-
At the start, Harry is practicing spells ("lumos maximus" or something) and Harry's not meant to do magic outside of school. This could be confusing to non-readers (if there are any out there), because later on Vernon goes, "You're not allowed to do magic outside of school!" But otherwise, that scene was funny - I liked the way how Harry would pretend to sleep when Vernon would come in ;D

Yeah, I wasn't happy about the whole axing-off-the-explanation-about-the-marauders-thing either. I was waiting for it, but it never came. Does anyone think that Harry came to trust Sirius too quickly? Or was that just me? He went from "I'm going to kill you!" to "Oh so it wasn't you." in like five minutes.

POA is the only book where we actually see them win the Quidditch cup so I was a bit miffed about that and the firebolt thing (stuffing it right at the end didn't work for me).

The one thing that really bugged me (and this is going to sound REALLY picky) is that Hermione punched Malfoy, not slapped. I think it would have had more of an effect if she'd slapped him.

Anyway, enough of my whining, because I did like the film! I especially loved the lesson with the boggart, although it was quite short, and I loved all the Ron and Hermione things, like when Harry is going to go on the Hippogriff, Hermione grabs hold of Ron, and when Hermione goes "Would you like to go a little closer..." hehe ;D

I loved Harry's flight on the hippogriff but wasn't he meant to be a bit uncomfortable? *shrugs*

The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 06:40:14 PM »

I didn't find the boggart scene too short. I felt it fit right in with the pacing of the movie.

Tia, if they were going on the premise that everyone would have read the book, then they surely wouldn't have expected us to be tense at any point throughout, since we know how it ends, don't ya think? GThere were several points where I was just like, "Yeah, yeah, I know it's okay." *shrug* The books will always be better, guess that's all. :P

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 09:05:08 PM »

Just got back from seeing it, so I thought I'd put in my two cents. This is long, and in no particular order, so I apologize.

I thought it was only slightly better than the first two. I heard several people sitting across the aisle from me who were totally confused, especially about how Pettigrew was alive. However, I didn't feel much sympathy for those people, since they were talking nonstop through the whole film anyways.

At the start, Harry is practicing spells ("lumos maximus" or something) and Harry's not meant to do magic outside of school. This could be confusing to non-readers (if there are any out there), because later on Vernon goes, "You're not allowed to do magic outside of school!"

Yeah! I noticed that too, and it angered me. A lot of the beginning was cut off, including Harry's birthday, and the Hogsmeade form thing could have been confusing to a non-reader. I think they could have done more with the Harry/Marge quarrel.

(The moustache was ... kind of icky and unncessary, IMNSHO.)

Totally agree with you, Ping. I saw him and I was like... ew. Why?

I loved Harry's flight on the hippogriff but wasn't he meant to be a bit uncomfortable? *shrugs*

I thought that was one of those unnecessary action scenes that the first movies were infamous for.

I didn't like the dementor effect, but I liked the werewolf. I thought it was cool that they were more creative with it, and didn't just make it a funny looking dog.

By far, the biggest problem with the movie was the lack of expplanation about the Marauders. Harry should have been told that Lupin wrote the map, and how Sirius and James were troublemakers at school, and just... ugh! I kept waiting for someone to fill Harry in, and it never happened.

I can tell I'm in the minority here, but I was sort of impressed with Hermione. The only thing is, I wish that had made her seem more stressed with the time-turner and such. I liked the way she was more laid back in this movie, but like I said, it was the wrong movie to introduce that character trait.  

WAY too much R/H. They keep doing that, and it's starting to annoy me greatly. There isn't so much hand holding and little looks in the book, why should they keep adding it. It's crap, I tell you.

Firebolt scene was stupid. That's all I have to say about that.

Dementors should not be able to fly! That's just all levels of wrong!!!

I totally agree with that too. I pictured dementors to be more... sleek, or something like that.

I did like Pettigrew though. Totally fit with how I imagined him, minus the teeth.

The film got cut in the theater I was in, so I missed the "would you like to come closer" line you guys are all talking about. Right after Malfoy gets hit in the head, the screen went all black, and we were all sitting there for like 15 minutes before it came back, and Malfoy was running up the hill. It sucked.

Anyways, sorry to subject you to my ranting. Overall, I did like it better than the first two, but, I'm terrified of what they'll do to GoF.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 10:58:27 PM »

It never explained why Lupin knew how to work the mauraders map in the end. Are people who haven't read the books supposed to just guess that Lupin is Moony? It didn't give enough background on the mauraders. Did it even mention that James was one too? And I was a little annoyed that nobody ever told Harry that the stag was his father's Anamangi form.
I was mad too. The Shrieking Shack scene wasn't good because not enough of the backstory came out. And Dumbledore should have had a chance to provide further exposition afterwards-- because honestly, what else is he there for.
They cut McGonagall's best PoA line: "Which one of you will be dying this year?"
I KNOW!!! I feel cheated because we didn't get to see McGonagall all huffy and puffy over Trelawny. And the Christmas feast would have been great ("when 13 dine together..." "whichever one of you got up first will die first--" "I hardly think it matters, unless there is a mad axeman waiting outside the Great Hall"). They didn't give Emma Thompson enough to do. There should have been so much more shown of her classes. And also I wanted to see the rope ladder to get up to her tower.
The Knight Bus seemed unnecessarily over the top. And the time transitions between the seasons, while amusing, seemed ... just too much. I couldn't really tell you why.
I actually love both, and they really added to my enjoyment of the movie. Although I desperately wanted the Knight Bus to be disappearing with a crack and a bang and touching down somewhere else instantaneously. Oh well.
I actually thought the dementor effect was cool (except for the soul bit, which seemed corny), but I didn't like that they flew. Dementors should not be able to fly! That's just all levels of wrong!!!
I thought it was just the soul bit and the way Harry and Sirius's faces blurred and got sucked at that bothered me, but now I realize that I don't think/didn't think they flew either. No wonder they all seemed strange to me. I thought the Dementors looked good, but I wasn't thrilled with them at all.
And it was retarded for werewolf Lupin to attack dog Sirius, since the whole point of James and Sirius and Peter becoming animagi was because as animals they could be with Lupin without being hurt.

Actually, it wasn't that they wouldn't be hurt, but that they wouldn't be turned into werewolves as well.
What I meant by that was that Lupin said that he felt more in control around his friends as animals and his bloodlust receded and he could actually somewhat enjoy himself with them. I took that to mean that he didn't go about trying to tear his animal friends to pieces. I thought the Lupin/Black fight was somewhat unneccesary.
what are the chances that ANYONE in the theater hasn't read the book? Aside from possibly some parents who are only there to see it with thier kids anyway?
Actually I do know people who are fans of the movies but won't pick up the books.... like my entire family. I tell them that me and my friend (whos read them) are going to see it, and I get instructed to buy three extra tickets and save them seats. And this girl Nicole was talking in homeroom about how she loves the movies even though she's never read the books (freak). So it does happen.
The one thing that really bugged me (and this is going to sound REALLY picky) is that Hermione punched Malfoy, not slapped. I think it would have had more of an effect if she'd slapped him.
I surpressed that complaint, but yeah, I feel ya. It wasn't quite the same.
I thought that was one of those unnecessary action scenes that the first movies were infamous for.
Wow I hadn't thought of that, but now I think you're right. It was an action sequence! It's to the film's credit that it seemed so natural to me-- I really enjoyed the hippogriff and the flying. Harry did seem uncomfortable in the beginning of the ride, so I was okay with his joyriding near the end.

Also on the unnecessary action side, I didn't completely hate the Whomping Willow bit either. It flowed fairly well and it ended fairly quickly so I didn't find it too annoying. Even though I was mad Crookshanks didn't just come along and press the knot in the tree. So yeah I was a little ticked off, but nothing too major.
The only thing is, I wish that had made her seem more stressed with the time-turner and such. I liked the way she was more laid back in this movie, but like I said, it was the wrong movie to introduce that character trait.  
ITA. I wanted the very stressed out Hermione who looked like she was about to snap. And I wanted Harry and Ron to be fighting with her. Especially Ron.

Now, did anyone else think that the three hours when Harry and Hermione were fixing everything seemed to go by too fast? I didn't feel that the time flowed properly. Everything happened too fast.

And finally, I was mad we didn't get Sir Cadogan and Sirius Black above Ron's bedside. Everytime they showed students outside the Gryffindor portrait hole, you could see a knight blundering about in the background and I kept waiting for a funny line from him, but nooooo, it never came. So mad they cut that storyline.

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 07:39:28 PM »

If nothing else, PoA should prove a good arguing point for why GoF should be split into 2 movies.

The amount left out was staggering.  And it wasn't just unimportant stuff, either, it was Septology things that will be very confusing to anyone who hasn't read the books*.

I, for one, could have done with 15 seconds less CGI-bs hippogriff-riding and 10 seconds more explaining who the Mauraders were, or giving Harry time to experience the realization that the man he thought a betrayer was actually his best ally.  With Daniel Radcliffe, it's a shame we'll never get to know.

*Believe it or not, there is an entire group of Tennesseean HP fans who refuse to read ANY of the books until the movie version of Book 7 is out.  They buy the first editions (I saw several at the Book 5 premiere), they just don't read them.  I think they call themselves DROLUA, for "Don't Ruin Our Movies, Leave Us Alone."  Seriously.

What cheesed me off the most was that once again, I was the only one dressed up.   :P

AND LEST I FORGET>>>>>

LUPIN IS PRONOUNCED LOO-PAHN!!!!! NOT LOO-PIN! ARRRGGGHHHHH!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:45:05 PM by Susan Bones »

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 10:54:16 PM »

::)It is?  I thought that was just the Japanese Anime character.  Seeing as Remus is British, I've always followed English pronunciation rules and called him Lu-pin.  :0  :laugh:

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 11:28:02 PM »

Okay, consider my statement on people who hadn't read the book officially retracted.

And yeah, I always thought it was Lu-pin. Like Lu-pine. Of course there were a couple of girls next to me in the theater who kept insisting Sirius was pronounced like Cyrus instead of Serious. I mean...it's like the dog-star right? That's the whole joke.

Is there an official site for these things? (I mean official, not fan-ficial)

Jan-lo

• Madam Malkin's Assistant
  • Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »

You know what was wrong with Fudge as Seigfried? I kept expecting him to pat Buckbeak on the head and give him a suppository.

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA... That's just wrong.

Ok, my likes and dislikes: Loved the hippogriff, not so fond of the werewolf. In the books, it specifically mentions the potion Lupin takes allows him to just chill out and rest through the change as a regular wolf. I'm glad it wasn't the bipedal Hollywood "wolf-man" form, but he's supposed to go full wolf.

Loved Dumbledore. They are finally getting closer to the spark and humor that Dumbledore is just brimming over with. We finally see a little bit of why a large percentage of students (and adults) see him as a "barmy old codger". Whacking Ron's foot was priceless.

I liked the way the Dementors looked, but they should not fly. That was wrong. What I really missed were the stag charging them down and scattering them, and Harry summoning a patronus at the Quidditch match and knocking Malfoy and his goons flat. *sigh* I also was disappointed at Malfoy's snivelling. Malfoy is a coward, but he's a coward that will do nearly anything to look as cool as possible. I don't mind the whining and fainting when he got sliced by Buckbeak (where was the blood?), but merely being threatened by a mudblood shouldn't have had a major impact on him. Not as major as her fist, at least.  ;D

I also missed the McGonagall/Trelawny tension, but they can't put EVERYthing in the movie. *sigh*

The film did seem to jump. They assumed their audience knew too many plot points, so they didn't explain things well enough. Most of the audience did, but it still seemed rather jerky and clipped together.

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 07:17:06 AM »

Ok ... I saw PoA on the first day, but I didn't bother to review until now. Go figure. :p

I didn't really like it. It was an ok movie, but I think it could have been a lot better. I'm being a purist about this, because PoA was my favourite book ... but anyway.

They left out far too much IMO, especially the whole MWPP thing - as if Harry wouldn't wonder how Lupin knew how to work the map. Heck, Lupin looked nothing like what I pictured him in the first place ... he was too plump, for starters. He's supposed to be a starving werewolf.

And the werewolf looked pathetic. So not scary ... I thought it was kinda cute, to be honest.

What else annoyed me? Where to start ... the whole movie seemed too abrupt, it felt like Harry went from blowing up Marge to the Leaky Cauldron to the Hogwarts Express in the space of a few minutes. There was no 'flow' ... I don't know how to describe it, it just felt like it was too jerky.

Demetor on the train was awesome, just like I pictured it (I didn't really like the weird face stretching thing, but that's acceptable in comparison with the rest of it) but they should not have been able to fly. I mean, really. I always figured them to be more of a Nazgul-ish thing, not a tatttered cloak with hands and no feet. The Quidditch thing also bugged me (the Snitch can't go out of the stands, it's enchanted) and dementors should not be able to fly.

And Lupin telling Harry about his parents sounded like he had a crush on Lily, not to mention that his scene with Sirius made him seem gay.

And Malfoy was a snivelling idiot. He's a Death Eater's son, he knows more curses than anyone, he's not going to panic if a Muggle-born sticks a wand at his throat. And his hair is crap, but that's neither here nor there ...

And they expanded some scenes too much (Hippogriff flying scene, Quidditch) at the expense of others.

And the scene where Hermione goes "Does my hair look like that from behind?" is so out of character. She's supposed to be the smartest witch of her year, a bookish type, not Parvati with brains. I mean, really.

And ... and ...

Okay, there were aspects of this movie I liked, like Sirius - thought he was excellent. The acting was good too, given the material they had to work with. Pettigrew was hilarious, the map was great (I always wondered how a square of parchment could fit the entire Hogwarts) and Dumbledore was much better this time around.

But all in all, I'm glad that Cuaron isn't directing the next movie, and I really hope GoF is split up into 2 movies.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:58:52 AM by Xan »
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Jan-lo

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 09:28:22 AM »

Ok, a livejourmal user I know posted this link - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in 15 minutes. It has a few slightly off-color remarks and some bad language, so please read at your own risk. I though it was pretty funny. Even the parts I don't agree with are funny.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/2237.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:29:54 AM by Jan-lo »

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 03:45:28 PM »

that is too funny Jan-lo. I love it.  Favorite part is the Hogwarts Express scene. Hee.

Jan-lo

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 08:58:56 AM »

I think I liked the monosyllabic Shreiking Shack scene. (Say that three times fast!) That, and the scene right after Harry overhears the news in the Three Broomsticks.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »

Oh my....goodness...I think I'm gonna die laughing...

WEREWOLVES!!!

And all I have to say is "HP FANS: THAT WAS RON’S LINE! YOU CHANGED THINGS FROM THE BOOK!

LOTR FANS: What are you, new?" to all the nitpickers ;)

'scuse me I suddenly have the urge to eat some chocolate...

((and you know...my husband also turned to me in the hippogriff scene and said "I'm king of the world!!" along with the people sitting behind us ... Sheesh))

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 10:41:08 PM »

((and you know...my husband also turned to me in the hippogriff scene and said "I'm king of the world!!" along with the people sitting behind us ... Sheesh))

Mine too . .. .
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 11:54:25 PM »

:laugh:!

My favorite line, Jan:  
LUPIN: Wow! You held off a fake Dementor with a fake memory! Let's just assume that'll work with a real one!
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Jan-lo

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 08:58:21 AM »

Excellent choice madame. [/waiter voice] I love that one, too. What was Harry's 'successful' memory in the book? It wasn't the mirror, was it?  ???

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 09:00:46 AM »

I don't totally recall and someone else has borrowed my book (grrrrrr...).  The thing is, in the movie, it didn't even say where Harry imagined having seen them!

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 05:41:28 PM »

I thought he used the moment he first learned he was a wizard. None of this made up memory crap. :) I could be wrong though.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 06:10:30 PM »

BTW, 10 points to Jan for posting the link to the 15 minutes.

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2004, 10:08:46 AM »

*thinks really hard*  I think... when he's learning it with Lupin... wasn't one of the things he used his memory of the feeling he got the first time he flew on a broomstick?  *goes to find book*

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »

yes, first he thought of riding the broom, but he passed out. then I think he thought about winning the house cup, and failed again. I think his final memory was finding out that he was a wizard. But I need to look this up because I could very well be wrong.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 09:22:30 PM »

((has anyone else noticed that the HP books are so much heavier than other books that size? I nearly broke my wrist getting mine out. Must be the paper they use :P ))

Anyway, I just looked it up and yes, you're right, it was finding out he was a wizard. Still, I think thinking of his parents is a perfectly acceptable happy thought, better, even, than being a wizard, so I can't be mad at the movie for changing it :)

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2004, 10:39:14 AM »

Yes, but when push came to shove and he actually DID make a real, bonified, charging-stag Patronus, did they use the right memory THERE?  (I haven't seen the film yet.)  As I recall, the happy thought in the book at that point was that he'd already done it and saved himself and Hermione.  Or, in other words, that he had been able to conjur a real, bonified Patronus.  Kind of ironic, isn't it?  Did they mention that in the movie?

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2004, 04:41:32 PM »

No.  I don't fault them for it.  It's just that it wasn't thinking of his parents, it was thinking of being with or seeing his parents, which really just isn't a memory.  Sure it's a happy thought, but not a memory.  That might be a distinction without a difference, but there it is.

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »

Thanks, Tia, I appreciate it. I have the same problem as Cho with the movie "memory." It never really happened, so I don't think that it would qualify as a happy memory. I think the charging-stag-happy-thought was that he was free of the Dursleys and going to go live with Sirius, his grandfather. In the film, however, it wasn't specified.

Pro. Snape

• Potions Master and Head of Slytherin
  • Administrator
  • Second-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2004, 10:16:50 AM »

5 points to Miss Tiamat for actually looking up this in formation in the book and answering the question.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »

Of course, going to live with Sirius isn't a memory, it's an expectation. (This is arguable, so I guess I won't push it.) But he could technically have a subconcious memory of his parents talking to him...he remember's Voldemort trying to kill him after all. And parents talk to babies all the time. They never said it was a fake memory in the movie, that was just the 15 minute thing being funny. (And succeeding) It could have been real.

Okay, now I'm just being petty.  ;)

jimlen

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2004, 03:00:56 PM »

Of the three movies, Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite.  I favored the way it was shot and the more realistic look than the fairy tale appearance of the first two movies.  I did not mind that there were scenes and information missing from the movie.  I think the filmaker knew that the people going to the movie would be fan(atical) about Harry Potter, and would have already read the book.  There would not be a need to include as much of the back story and explanation because the viewer already knows what is going on.  There would be no need to show the viewer what they already knew.  Was it a great movie?  No.  Was it a good way to spend an afternoon?  Yes. 

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2004, 05:14:14 PM »

Well, part of his problem in the books with creating a patronus, I think, was that, even though it was a horrible, awful memory, he was still hearing his mother's voice, something he couldn't remember otherwise. I think it was probably hard to hold on to another memory, no matter how happy, when something he's longed to hear for a long, long time comes by letting it go.

While I think that, in general, they did a good job with Lupin, the training scene left me feeling cheated, because those were some of the best scenes in the book, I felt, and while it might have been hard to show visually, it bothered me that they didn't try, that there was no attempt to show that, even though he was getting his face sucked off, he was hearing his mother, which was making it hard.

*gets out duct tape* Okay, I'm done grousing, really. Oh, and Tia, take 3 for looking up the reference for us. :)

One Ping Only

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2004, 11:42:24 PM »

Ping, that also bothered me. I kept expecting to hear some of the actual dialogue from the books, or to even see a flashback to Voldemort attacking the Potters, but they didn't, and that bothered me.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2004, 01:29:14 PM »

Wow.  Tia is twice blessed for finding the info.... ;)

I thought the movie was ... okay.  I tried to evaluate it on its own terms (i.e. as a movie rather than a movie made from a book), and I thought it was quite choppy and jerky.  Several people who went to see the movie with me had read the books but aren't fanatical about them.  For example, they needed me to review the entire story (books 1-3) before going to see it.  Afterward, they had lots of questions because the movie left lots of holes.  To me, that's not a good movie.  If the story isn't coherent enough to answer most of the important questions, it's got a problem.

I agree that I liked the setting of the school much better.  The word that Ju and I keep using is "organic."  It's just a more organic movie.

One thing I thought was really missed was a follow up to the prophecy from Trelawney.  I don't think that Cuaron should rely on the audience to draw the connection between Trelawney's prediction and Wormtail's "escape"--that should have been done for us.  Just another instance of lack of coherence.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2004, 11:27:14 PM »

I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but I do plan on doing that soon.

anywho, about the movie.  It was enjoyable and it kept my intrests for that part.  But as for as being closer to the book like i had hopped.  Um no, that didn't happen.  I wish it had given more of a background on the friendship of the Mauraders and such. 

I didn't likehow they had Hermione popping in and out of classes, she never did that in the class it self, mostly outside or in the hallways. 

I soooooooooo wanted much more of Prof. Snape time on the screen though.  he's such a great character and needs to have more of the spotlight I think. 

I liked the people who played Lupin and Sirius though, I had my doubts but it came across rather well. 

People at my work that have read the books liked the movie, but didn't like it with how off it was from the book.  Those who haven't read the books enjoyed the movie so much more than the others. 

If they made it into a 3 hour movie, it would have been so much cooler.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2004, 12:26:26 PM »

It's rather difficult to make a "childrens' movie" that lasts longer than 2 hours, though.  Kids get fidgety, and producers won't

Don't throw those rotten veggies!  You know as well as I do that PoA has been packaged as a "kiddie movie", no matter how much we know differently.  Most of this film's revenue came from parents.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2004, 06:11:38 PM »

I would say that they should also do "adult" versions of the movie, but I think that would lead us down a discussion path we need not consider.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 10:05:22 PM »

It's rather difficult to make a "childrens' movie" that lasts longer than 2 hours, though.

Now that you say that, it makes me reconsider the idea of a mini-series. I thought it to be a not-so-good idea at first, but for GoF it would certainly be better than a 4-hour movie that drags on for kids, or a two hour movie that misses too many details.

PoA might have been better as a 3-hour movie, but I still think it worked out fine the way it was, even though it's a "kiddie" movie.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Fang

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2004, 09:28:47 PM »

I ABSOLUTELY hated this movie.   I think that the director was bad at making it.  The first thaing that bothered me was they were always in regular clothes.  I thought that while at hogwarts you were only allowed to have robes on (unless you in your dormitory) two he moved the location of things around i.e. hagrids hut.  it was only a short walk from the castle in 1 and 2 three they go a new dumbledore who sucked.  he was to modern talking i always thought of dumbledore as this guy with a calming dreamy voice.  i dont know maybe its me.  i also hated how he changed it in the book it says they ran up to the whomping willow and touched a know on it and it was paralyzed.  in this one lupin just casted imobulus i also wanted to see some more of lupins classes they were so wonderfully described in PoA but he didnt show any of the little creatures that they learned about but a few.  i dont know maybe it was just me   lol anyway what do ya'll think???  *WHOOF*

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2004, 07:19:55 AM »

I actually preferred the new Dumbledore, at least to a point. I still think they didn't really capture him, but I felt he was much more the kooky old guy who's not really quite as nuts as he pretends to be. Which is what I always pictured him as.

I didn't mind stuff moving about so much. I didn't much like the first movies, either, so some of the changes were actually welcome.

I thought they did a pretty good job with Lupin. They didn't have a lot of time to show him, but they got across a lot about him in the short time they spent on him. I went in not expecting to like how they handled his character, and was pleasantly surprised.

POA was my favorite of the movie adaptations so far. Which doesn't mean I didn't hate some of the things they left out. There's no possible reason for Harry to think he saw his dad, because he didn't know about the animagus stuff, and that his dad would turn into a stag.

And Sirius just wasn't sexy enough. ;)

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2004, 08:46:05 PM »

Ping, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in both the book and the movie, Harry thought he saw his dad because he saw himself and mistook himself for his dad.  Isn't that right?  Or are you referring to something else?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »

I always thought that Harry thought his dad saved him because he saw the stag, not because he saw himself. I thought. Could be wrong. Don't have time to look it up right now. :(

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 11:04:02 PM »

I don't think so. I think he pretty much says, "I thought I saw my dad, but I realized it was me..." (or some such phrase).  It's not till after the scene at the lake, etc., that he asks Lupin if his father's animagus was a stag, IIRC

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2004, 08:12:25 AM »

*feels really embarrassed* I finally looked it up, and you're right.

*crawls under a sofa*

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up