Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to turn a non-fan into a fan?  (Read 250 times)

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
How to turn a non-fan into a fan?
« on: May 10, 2004, 07:59:45 PM »

I have a friend whom I KNOW would love HP as much as I do, if I could just get him to look into it a bit.  He's a Star Wars fanatic and a LOTR fanatic, so I've tried to hint about the similarities between all 3 epics, but to no avail.  His only reply to me is "It's kid stuff".

BTW, my main reason for getting him interested is so I'll have a buddy for PoA who's over the age of 10....

« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 09:44:46 PM by Susan Bones »

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Re: How to turn a non-fan into a fan?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 08:29:44 PM »

The best thing I can think of is to not force the issue. Most people seem to dig in as soon as someone tells them they "have" to read something.

*eg* Next time, you COULD mention that Star Wars is also "kids stuff," and that HP is better, at least than the prequel trilogy has been. :D
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 08:47:16 PM »

Most people seem to dig in as soon as someone tells them they "have" to read something.

Aw, crap.  I never thought of it that way.

But you know, he was one of the few SW fans to actually LIKE the prequel trilogy.  Strange.....I bet it has something to do with his age.....he's a right bit younger than I am, and he probably never went to see the original Star Wars on the big screen.  Ah, the memories..... :'(

AHD

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 04:24:55 AM »

I'm not sure how you 'turn' someone = especially since most people that have not embraced HP by now have probably been so set on not reading them, that they feel they can't move from their original position - (they're just stubborn) 

I find it interesting that the non fan was described as an over 20 year old male - I know a lot of over 20 males, single, no kids, that have all the other interests that would say they should love HP, but are too stubborn to read it because it's 'kid's stuff'

Kelpie

• Tri-wzard Tournament Winner
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Life, isn't it a beautiful sight?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 08:52:23 AM »

Well, my dad, who's 45, and my mom, who's 46 have both read it, but that was because th three kids raved about it, and we have good taste ;).

It he just doesn't want to actaully read the books, you can give him the tape or CD of the books, and he can listen to them. it's not the same thing as reading the books, but then your work mate might become a huge fan, read the books, and you guys can always talk about it together. Just, as a birthday present or something, buy him the books/tapes/CDs, and eventually, he'll read/listen to them.

Just about the Star Wars stuff: I've seen the prequels (the old ones, right?), not on the big screen, I wasn't alive or wasn't aware of them existing when they came out, and I loved them, but I don't like the sequels. I wander what is was like seing them on the big screen...
Better be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 02:41:28 PM »

Kelpie:  Star Wars Episodes 1, 2, and 3 ("Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones", and the new, unfilmed one) are considered the PREQUELS.  The "old ones" ("New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back", "Return of the Jedi") are actually Episodes 4, 5, and 6.

So the Prequels were filmed LATER.  Weird, I know, but that's Yanks for you..... ;D.......It's the Prequels, filmed in the 21st century, that most Star Wars fans were disappointed with.  (Personally, I think it's b/c the prequels are missing Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. :-*)

UPDATE ON THE NON-FAN:
I found out he had seen "Philosopher's Stone", and managed to talk him into taking the Sorting Hat quiz.....He got sent an email telling him he was sorted into Hufflepuff.  He promptly told me he didn't want anything to do with this site.  Ouch.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 03:58:30 PM »

Bummer.  Maybe there's some deep dark secret that he's afraid reading the books will reveal and force him to face up to his deeply buried fears.... or maybe he's just stubborn. 
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Kelpie

• Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 11:38:10 PM »

Let's see: man, early twenties... maybe he just doesn't want to read the books because he'll think it'll chalenge his "manlyhood" or "maturity".... Lots of adults read the books, they even made adult cpoies, that way adults could read it feeling less conscious about the fact that they're reading "kiddy" books.

Yeah well, I love Episodes 4, 5 and 6 or Star Wars, but I think that Episodes 1 and 2 of Star Wars are complete drivell. (even though very good looking Hayden Christienson and Ewan McGregor are in them)>

Jan-lo

• Madam Malkin's Assistant
  • Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 09:02:46 AM »

I find it amusing that the non-fan is resistant because the books are "kid's stuff". I'm an adult, my parents are grandparents, and they're the ones who got me reading the books when I missed out on all the media about them. I'm also a Star Wars and LOTR fan, as well as plenty of other media offerings, and I consider Harry Potter just as deep and adult as all the rest.

I'm also a bigger fan of the original Star Wars movies (Ep 4-6) more than the prequels. I just hope George gets help so he can salvage Episode 3. *sad sigh*

If I were feeling obnoxious, I'd just tell the non-fan that Voldemort could kick Vader's butt and is scarier than the decaying old man they call the emperor, and that Harry Potter is way less whiney than Luke. (We'll ignore his book 5 whining for the moment.) ;)

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 03:10:15 PM »

Yeah, everybody's whiny when they're 15.....weren't you? ;D

Thanks for the advice, Jan-lo, I'm giving him your testimony word-for-word, if you don't mind.

Anybody else in here, help me out and add some Reasons Why LV Would Kick Vader's Shiny Metal Butt:

Kelpie

• Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 04:47:05 AM »

Sure, Vader can stragle people from far away, but Voldy can wip out his magic wand and perform the cruciatus curse, or avada kadavra. Plus, he's immortal and all, so that does count as a bonus point for the bad guy.

Cerberus

• Hufflepuff
  • Fifth-year
  • Bats aren't bugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 05:19:34 AM »

I actually had a (15 year old) friend who systematically REFUSED to read them because they were for "children, not teens". I kept nagging her about it, but she was extremely stubborn as well, and refused to give in. Anyway, apparently her brother (who she must look up to) told her it was good, so automatically she thought it was ok to read them, and did, and now is a huge fan... Maybe you should get someone this guy looks up to to recommend it, and then he won't think it wrong. However, if you don't know any fans over 10, that might be hard... ;)
I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.

Jan-lo

• Madam Malkin's Assistant
  • Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Animagus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 10:31:16 AM »

Maybe my parents would call the guy and give him their recommendation.

*sigh* I hate it when people are so stubborn for no reason. I prefer to get all the facts I can and test things out for myself instead of form an opinion based on one minor thing. I know an idiot who doesn't go to anything less than "R" rated movies, cause the rest of them are "for kids". He's missed out on the best movies in the world because of it, the stupid moron.

Let's see - actually, I think it would be a pretty even match between Vader and Voldy, but Voldy's proven that he's very patient, and I bet he'd do his homework on how best to get at the Sith Lord. He'd likely lure him into a trap and have a spell waiting to kill or incapacitate him. There'd be none of this repenting at the last minute, either. Voldemort would go down kicking and biting till his last breath.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 01:44:06 AM »

I don't see r-rated movies, 'cause the only one or two I've seen, well, the story didn't overcome the ickiness. So I don't bother anymore.

So, anyway, the whole "children's thing" is vastly amusing. I went to a 9:30 pm showing. The youngest people in the theater were probably at least 12 or 13, if not older, and most of the crowd was in their early 20s at least. People are just silly. Laugh at him and tell him it's too bad he's so silly to miss out and such good stuff. :P
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Morgan Granger

• Gryffindor
  • Fifth-year
  • Gryffindor and Proud!
    • View Profile
    • Morgan's Livejournal
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 10:33:07 AM »

Here's what my friend did to me to get me to start readign them:

Okay, we were at the swimming pool and she took her book and stuck it in my bag, and when I got home that night, I opened it up and there was the first book. I opened the book and read half the book that first night. It took me 2 and a half weeks to read all 5 books and see the first 2 movies.

Find something that your friend does every day and then slip the first book in there. If you don't own a copy, maybe tell your friend they have this magazine at the library that has this Star Wars thing in it. Then slip the book into their check out pile! (It might help if you tell them to bring a bag or something...

I hold onto secrets, in White Houses
White Houses, Vanessa Carlton

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 10:33:05 PM »

Jan got me started, but all she had to do was hand me the book.  And then the second and third as I read the entire first book in about four hours instead of going to sleep.  :p

Jan, I didn't know Mom and Dad got you to read them!  Why didn't they recommend them to ME?  :p

I have a 20-something-year-old male friend who wouldn't read them because they were "kid-stuff."  (Kid stuff is the best stuff, by the way, IMHO.  Eventually he DID read PS, but he said it wasn't as good as Robert Jordan stuff.  *rolls eyes hard enough to pull something*  I got so mad, let me tell you!  I told him just what I thought of Robert Jordan (who can't write a realistic female to save his hide) and just what I think of JK Rowling (which, of course, was extremely positive) and that he didn't appreciate excellent literature when it bite him on the nose.  You know, or something like that.   :laugh:

He read more after.  I think maybe he's read them all.  He was planning on going to see PoA in the theatres.  I still don't think he's a "fan" exactly, and I'd certainly hesitate to ask him here.  I don't htink he'd come.
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004, 10:08:04 AM »

I was a convert.  I had resisted reading any of the Harry Potter books.  I thought all the fuss around the books was silly.  Then the first movie was released.  I was trying to schedule depositions with another lawyer (who I respect a great deal), and he mentioned that we could not schedule them on a certain day.  I pressed him for the reason, and he confessed that he and his wife were going to see the Harry Potter movie that day three times.  I teased him a little bit and mentioned that I would probably go see the movie too during its run.  He was emphatic that before I went to the movie, I should read at the very least the first book.  I borrowed a copy of the first book from my brother-in-law's Swiss girlfriend (it was the British paperback), and within the first two pages I was a fan.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 12:19:34 AM »

I am also a convert of sorts -- and a willing one at that!  I started reading HP for two reasons:  1) I was curious about all the controversy among certain portions of the religious world who seemed to think that Harry Potter was evil and an instrument of the devil.  2) I was teaching 8th and 10th grade literature at the time and I thought I ought to know what they're reading just to see what I might be up against.  Actually, I just remembered a third reason:  one of my students whose opinion I respected highly with regard to literature suggested that I would love them.  But the first two were my main reasons for diving in.  Like Heather, I was a fan within less than 5 pages and devoured the first four books within less than three weeks. 
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Gypsy Star

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 10:48:19 PM »

:D  I was dating a man that had two young boys; ages 6 and 8....i got them a HP book cause all the kids seemed to be reading them.  The so-called-man I was dating started the whole "it's devil-worship' garbage with me...so, I decided I would read a couple of chapters to make my own judgement.  I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!  I finished the book in one weekend and went and bought #2.   Now, I am a true fan!

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 01:46:39 AM »

See, now if JK had info-mercials, THAT would be the kind of story she would want on there  ;D.
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

SlYtherIn_gIrL

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 08:32:21 AM »

About the question! I think you should get a friend who likes HP and try talk about HP with this person when this non-fan is there and he gets out of place.....try doing it some more and maybe someday he'll try to like BUT try talking about the REALLY good stuffs about HP and i MEAN the real GOOD stuffs......Good Luck ;)

secretkeeper

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 03:17:34 PM »

HP Kid stuff i have heard nothing more insane  ;D i to am a fan of star wars but only the first movie to be released at the age of 41 i have read all 3 Hp books and loved them I own them in both paper back and hard bound and also have all 3 dvds..lol the best way to get your friend to come to the magical side is to invite him to a night of tv and rent all Hp movies him not wanting to be reud will watch and the cant help but becoming a fan
Pages: [1]   Go Up