Author Topic: sneaking  (Read 2279 times)

Offline SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: sneaking
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2004, 09:20:44 PM »
Shelly groaned aloud. Of all the people to make everything worse. She returned Snape's cold gaze with a piercing evil-eye.

All the time Tia had been speaking, her mind was elsewhere. She tried to focus, knew it was important, but couldn't bring herself to be any angrier at Tia. She knew Dumbledore would come to her next to explain, and tried to decide what to say. She realized that she had no explanation for what had happened. She wanted, more than anything, to flee. To just rewind this whole thing to the beginning and eat her shepherd's pie in peace. Unfortunately, that didn't look likely, especially given the way Snape was still staring at her.

Shelly looked determinedly at the ceiling to avoid Snape's gaze. She wished Dumbledore would remove his hand from her shoulder so she could run. Most of all, she wanted to get her wand, but it was still in Cho's pocket with a shield over it. Shelly turned her eyes to Cho to hear what she would say, and tried harder to think of what to tell Dumbledore.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 11:31:58 PM by SeaShelly3 »
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Offline YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »
YamNeo peeked around a corner, trying to find out just what had caused such a fuss.

He'd still been in bed when a group of Hufflepuffs had come in, all of them bald.  He'd listened as they told Madame Pomfrey what had happened.  When she had her back turned, he'd sneaked out of the hospital wing, sure that the incident had been the doing of Shelly and Tia.  He'd then seen Professor Dumbledore walking rather quickly down one of the hallways.  YamNeo had tried to follow, but as soon as he'd rounded the corner, Dumbledore was gone.  YamNeo walked quickly down the hallways, trying to find him.  He found Dumbledore by nearly running into him.  Before anyone had noticed, YamNeo had hidden back around a corner of the wall.  He heard Shelly's version of what had happened, and almost choked.  Angharad, having to be restrained?!  Then he heard Tia's version.  While more believable, he just couldn't comprehend the idea of a Gryffie going crazy, and creating havoc.  And then she'd gone and blamed both Tia and Angharad!

Quietly YamNeo pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill.  He wrote: "Tia in trouble.  Shelly blaming her and Angharad for incidents.  Come quickly."  He then traded the quill for his wand, which McGonagall had thoughtfully left for him on the table next to his bed.  He tapped the parchment and whispered, "Slytherus animator".  The parchment curled and rolled itself into the form of a serpent, and began slithering off, hugging the corners of the walls, for the Slytherin common room.  YamNeo glanced over his shoulder.  He knew how much trouble Tia had been known to cause, but he just couldn't let some arrogant Gryffie nail Tia for something she didn't do.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 12:18:22 PM by YamNeo »
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Offline Angharad yr Gwyn

• Slytherin
  • Third-year Student
  • We are better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2004, 02:08:23 PM »
Angharad was furious.  She understood why Cho had taken her wand.  She wasn't happy about it , but safety precations were perfectly understandable to her.  But now not only had she been accused of whining, Shelly had accused her of creating all the havoc.  All Angharad had tried to do was bale Shelly out of more trouble.  And to top it all off that De Malia boy was out of the Infirmary too.  With the way her luck had been running he'd send for the rest of the house just so they could witness her humiliation.
As Cho wasn't speaking up, Angharad felt that she had to interject her own comment.  "Of all the nerve. . . I was trying to keep you from getting into more trouble Shelly.  Then you go and accuse me of causing the havoc?  I know quite a few Hufflepuffs that would say differently.  That's it.  If this is what inter-house cooperation gets me, I'm through with it."  All of this was said in a hissing near whisper.  Then Angharad smiled sweetly, "If you are oh-so innocent, Shelly, where is your wand?"
Slytherin Pride

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2004, 02:20:34 PM »
Shelly delved into a resource of cunning she was normally too noble to use.

"Where's my wand? Where's your wand? You and Tia are the ones up against a wall, disarmed and helpless. It's just lucky for you I repaired all that damage you did upstairs to those statues."

Shelly knew her blatant lying wouldn't get her very far, but it was fun to incense the Slytherins anyway. Shelly chanced a sideways glance at Snape, who was still staring at Shelly. She couldn't quite read the look on his face. She half-wished Cho would hurry up and expose Shelly's lies, just for some relief from this tension.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Offline Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2004, 10:05:31 PM »
Cho took a long, slow breath -- some might call it a sigh -- and dove in.  She was about to do it again.  Rat her friend out.  But Shelly needed help.  Seriously.  Professional. 

"Well, Professor.  Tia's version of the story is a bit more, er, accurate, if incomprehensible.  It's true that this whole thing began with suspicions of an impending attack on students by a vampire in Slytherin, by Deedra, if you must know.  We, all of us, convinced ourselves that Deedra was going to set upon the school, so we set out to the Slytherin dormitory to deal with her before she dealt with us.  I agreed, at first, but backed out at the common room door because it just seemed so ... so sudden.

As we were arguing about the next step, a, er, gigantic green and purple ferret and a couch that has three dog heads and seems to think it is a ferret came bounding out of the Slytherin common room, knocking a few people to the ground. 

To be honest, I don't really recall what happened immediately afterward.  All I know is that Shelly was immobilized, a first year Slytherin was hurt, and everyone sort of scattered.  What I recall next was finding Shelly immobilizing the first year Slytherin, trying to get him to give her the password, and then being yelled at by McGonagall. 

Things, uh, sort of went downhill after that, with Shelly getting hurt by the three-headed couch, a huge potato landing on the couch, Shelly ending up in the hospital wing, escaping from the hospital wing and bringing Tia into the Gryffindor common room, almost blowing up the common room, blowing up everything on the 6th floor, casting some sort of binding charm on Tia and me, and, um, a few other things. 

Tia had Shelly cornered at one point, but Angharad came by and gave Shelly her wand back, not knowing really how bad things had gotten.  That's when I caught up in enough time to prevent Shelly from hexing Tia one more time.  I finally got in a place to get her wand away from her, and Tia's and Angharad's for good measure, and ... and here we are."

Cho stopped.  That was about as clear as she thought she could make it.  She tried to keep her voice steady, but sometimes it would get a little high pitched and her speaking would speed up. 

She avoided Shelly's eyes the whole time.  In fact, she looked at the floor for most of it.  After all the times of telling on Shelly, this was the first time Cho had done it in front of her.  To the headmaster.  And Snape.  She wasn't sure if she was relieved or anxious.  She suspected it was both.

When she finished, Cho looked up at the Headmaster and waited for his next move.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2004, 11:51:01 PM »
Shelly slumped. That was it. It was all over. Clear cut. Cho hadn't even been able to make up a way to give her the benefit of the doubt. Shelly was trying to catch Cho's eye the entire time, but Cho seemed determined to count the threads in the carpet or something, because she barely looked up from the floor. Shelly didn't dare chance a look at Dumbledore or Snape, because she already knew how they would be reacting; Dumbledore thoughtful and/or shocked and Snape gleeful that he had the chance to witness Shelly's darkest hour.

She scowled, partly because it was all over, and partly because, really, now that she saw it from Cho's point of view, Shelly knew that she had gone just a bit overboard. Everything she had done had seemed a simple and logical solution at the time, but seeing it all at once like that made her realize that these infractions had snowballed into the worst mistake of her life. Shelly was determined to maintain a semblance of dignity and pride, even to the end of the line. For the first time, she thought about what it would be like to go back to her muggle family. They always told me I was a failure, she thought dejectedly. I guess they were right.

Shelly cringed, and waited for Dumbledore to speak, pointedly avoiding meeting anyone's gaze.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:04:52 AM by SeaShelly3 »

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2004, 05:35:56 AM »
Xan was bored. Transfiguration was more or less interesting, but the essays were about as interesting to write as watching paint dry. So when a piece of parchment slithered by her spot next to the common room fire, she immediately abandoned her essay and made a grab for it. She didn't recognise the writing, but knew that the sender was probably YamNeo, who had been experimenting with spells to make things slither around for what seemed like ages.

The note said simply: Tia in trouble.  Shelly blaming her and Angharad for incidents.  Come quickly.

Xan gave the note a quizzical look, then shrugged and rolled it back up. It sounded a heck of a lot more interesting than Transfiguration homework. With a tap of her wand, she reanimated the note and followed it back to its sender. Who, just as she figured, was YamNeo.

Shrugging mentally, Xan snuck up behind YamNeo and tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention - and maybe to see him jump a little, but that wasn't important. "What's going on?" she murmured softly.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Offline YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2004, 01:10:30 PM »
YamNeo nearly jumped when Xan came up behind him.  Fortunately, he managed to control his reaction.  Slowly, he turned around and motioned for her to keep from being seen by the headmaster.

"Quite simply, Shelly's trying to nail Angharad and Tia for what she did herself.  I'd never have thought it possible, but Shelly went on a rampage, wrecking stuff all over the place.  Now she's trying to blame it on our prefect and a fellow Slytherin.  I need you to get Madame Pomfrey to bring the Hufflepuffs here, the ones who came to see her about a...problem they were having.  They'll prove that Shelly was guilty."

Muttering to himself, YamNeo added, "And maybe Shelly will finally get what she's had coming to her for some time now."  He then reanimated his note and sent it off to find more Slytherin students; he knew he'd need backup if things started getting ugly.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2004, 02:00:46 PM »
Shelly couldn't take it anymore. She had heard quiet voices from around the corner, and knew there were even more people here than she had previously thought. She couldn't stand the accusing way they were looking at her anymore, so she whipped around to face them all.

"Okay! Okay, fine! You all win! I did it! There, you happy now? I tried to hunt a vampire, I tried to break into the Slytherin common room, I beat up a first year, I made several people go bald, I destroyed a whole floor of the castle, I tried to brew a dangerous potion, and I stunk up the common room doing it. Not only that, I snuck out of the hospital wing, directly against teacher's orders, I dragged two other students along with me the whole way, I lost bunches of points for Gryffindor, I got into a duel with TWO prefects,  and whatever else happened, it was probably my fault, too."

Shelly took several quick breaths and stared at the stunned group of people. She caught a glimpse of the shadows of two people hiding just around the corner and shouted in that direction "And whoever's over there, you can come out now and quit hiding!"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 02:31:30 PM by SeaShelly3 »

Offline Pro. Snape

• Potions Master and Head of Slytherin
  • Administrator
  • Second-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2004, 02:46:29 PM »
At the mention of the vampire, Snape transferred his gaze to Dumbledore, and they shared an inscrutable look. Cutting off Shelly's tirade, Snape looked back at her and snarled, "Do not interrupt the Headmaster! You'll stand there and quietly wait until he says what he has to say."

Offline Pro. McGonagall

• Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor
  • Administrator
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2004, 03:05:36 PM »
Professor McGonagall was in high dudgeon. Alarmed at the wails coming from the hospital wing, she strode in to find that Shelly was gone. Completely gone. She had directly disobeyed her own Head of House. McGonagall knew she was restless and had a penchant for finding trouble, but was shocked that she's go as far as to flagrantly disregard her in this manner. She looked for YamNeo to see if he could shed any light on the subject, but he was no longer there either.

"Poppy! Poppy!" McGonagall had to raise her voice to be heard over the sniffles and wailing of several young Hufflepuffs with no hair. "Poppy, where are YamNeo and SeaShelly?"

Madame Pomfrey looked harried, "I'm sorry, Minerva. They've gone - without my permission. I was just about to notify you when these students came piling in. I'm sorry."

McGonagall sighed and nodded, leaving Madame Pomfrey to her new work. Albus was going to hear about this. She didn't know what Shelly was capable of at this point, but she had a bad feeling about it. Her feeling worsened as she strode through the Great Hall and heard a commotion coming from the dungeon passages.

Trotting quickly, she came upon the scene just as Snape had finished speaking. Walking past YamNeo and Xan as if they were not even there, she eyes Shelly with a mixture of astonishment and disappointment.

Addressing Shelly, she stated, "I am shocked that you would go so far as to disobey my instruction that you remain in the hospital wing until I came for you. I am shocked that you would speak to the Headmaster and Professor Snape in that tone, especially after it was Professor Snape who carried you to the hospital wing himself after your last... adventure. And I am apalled at the destruction you've been up to."

Turning to Dumbledore she said, "I'm sorry, Headmaster. I didn't mean to interrupt."

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2004, 03:20:48 AM »
YamNeo's reaction made Xan smirk, but that faded away quickly as he filled her in on the situation. She was just about to reply when Shelly started yelling and confessed virtually everything, rendering getting the Hufflepuffs redundant.

Xan just shook her head slightly and sank further back against the corner, glancing back the way she came in case it became necessary to run far, far away. Which she had no problem with, really. She had absolutely no intention of showing herself, and YamNeo probably wasn't about toeither. "You talk too loudly," she murmured to him half-jokingly, a wry grin on her face.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Offline YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2004, 06:08:26 AM »
"No, I don't.  It's just that Gryffies have sharp hearing.  It helps them notice us coming."  YamNeo pressed himself up against the wall, hoping that his note would do the trick in time.  He needed backup, and he needed it now.

Offline Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2004, 08:20:11 AM »
Tia edged along the wall, attempting to be out of both Dumbledore and Snape's line of sight. Especially Snape. He was fixated on Shelly at the moment, and she had no desire to draw attention to herself. She always made things worse with Snape. Something about him made her want to kick him down six flights of stairs, but since that was impossible she usually settled for irritating commentary.

When McGonagall stormed onto the scene, Tia almost gave up completely. McGonagall only brought out a marginally better side of her than Snape did, and with three teachers around, someone was going to find a way to get angry at her for something. Possibly three different ways, depending on the teacher. She attempted to be inconspicuous, really not an easy task.

Somewhere in all this maneuvering, she noticed movement around a corner, probably the source of the whispers Shelly was raving about. Edging a little further down the hall, she could just see YamNeo and Xan having a muted arguement. Oh no. The last thing she needed was another couple of house members to show up and make it really look like this was a Slytherin activity after all.

Glancing at the teachers, who seemed busy berating Shelly, Tia gestured at the hidden Slytherins. Go away! She tried to convey to them with slight hand gestures and a significant look. Everything is fine here.

Tia sighed. Her house was such an interfering group of people. Sometimes they needed to learn to leave well enough alone. Of course, that's a lesson I should take myself. Probably a whole class, really.
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2004, 08:46:26 AM »
Xan rolled her eyes a little, but didn't bother contradicting him. Typical male.... She risked a glance at the small gathering and saw that Tia had edged away slightly ... and was looking straight at them. Never slow on the uptake, Xan surmised that she wanted both Xan and YamNeo gone, from the way she was gesturing and giving them a significant look.

Probably a good idea, really, Xan decided. What with Shelly and now Tia knowing that they were there, not to mention the three professors present, this was probably not a good place to be. While she didn't exactly know what was going on, the way things stood now, they would get into a load of trouble if they got caught eavesdropping - plus take some of the heat of Shelly, which was not something Xan really wanted to do. "We'd better get out of here," she muttered in YamNeo's ear. "The Professors have things under control. Besides, Shelly and Tia have already noticed us, and if they did the rest soon will too. We really don't want to get caught here. C'mon."

With that, Xan began slowly edging backwards away from the area.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2004, 11:27:12 AM »
Shelly stood her ground, but didn't speak. Her face was flushed, though whether that was caused by embarrassment or leftover zeal was unclear. She looked around at the three professors and Cho, working hard to bite back the diatribe she wanted to give them. She focused for an extra second on Snape. Why did he have to bring me to the hospital wing? Slimy git.

Shelly looked around the room, sensing that something was missing. "Hey," she said suddenly in the brief silence after McGonagall's lecture. "Where's Tia?"

She started to walk in the direction the whispers had come from, suspecting Tia must have gone to find out who it was. Someone behind her said "Where do you think you're going?" Shelly sighed heavily and turned around. "Fine," she said. "But can someone go over there please and find out who's hiding? It's driving me nuts!"

She didn't mention that if an eavesdropper or two was caught, it might take some of the heat off her for a bit, something she wouldn't mind right about now.

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2004, 10:23:34 PM »
Oh, crap. "Come on," she hissed at YamNeo. "Not only are we going to make things worse for Tia, we're going to take the heat off Shelly, so let's get out of here now!" Not waiting for a reply, she grabbed a fistful of his robes and started hauling him down the corridor. She vaguely remembered there being a secret passage behind a statue somewhere here ... if they could make it that far before someone decided to see what Shelly was raving about they'd be home free. They might not bother, of course, thinking that Shelly was just trying to distract them ... but Xan didn't think that was likely at all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:39:28 PM by Xan »

Offline Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2004, 06:17:47 AM »
Tia turned quickly away from the hopefully fleeing Slytherins and strode back to the main group. "Just some curious students," she said without interest. "I think they decided it wasn't interesting enough to make themselves known specifically."

She smiled brightly. "What were we discussing?"

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2004, 01:08:56 AM »
Shelly started to object, but faded quickly. She was just... tired, really. She'd only been out of the hospital wing for a few hours, but she was ready to crawl back up the stairs to Gryffindor tower and just sleep for a week.

Always one to wear her emotions on her sleeve, Shelly sank to the ground and rested her chin on her knees, turning her eyes wearily on Professor Dumbledore.

Offline Pro. Dumbledore

• Headmaster
  • Administrator
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2004, 09:12:40 PM »
Professor Dumbledore regarded the group with serious eyes. "This is a very grave situation." He turned to Cho. "Ms. Chung, I think you did well, though you should have come to one of the professors if you suspected the students were in danger. Trying to handle a vampire on your own is unwise."

He turned to Tia, and he looked somewhere between amused and exhasperated. "Miss Tia, you have acted rashly, but also bravely and not only in your best interest, which is something your fellow housemates could learn by." This last was said not only toward Angharad, but loud enough that anyone hanging around a corner might be able to hear as well.  To Angharad, he added, "You, too, have acted rashly, and it might in the future be better if you thought before you acted."

He turned to Shelly, and there was a great sadness in his eyes. "I'm afraid, Shelly, that I'm going to have to ask for your wand. You have so much potential, but you have repeatedly refused or ignored the instruction of those who are responsible. They are now relieved of that burden, as you are hereby expelled from Hogwarts."

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2004, 10:05:48 PM »
There was a long, silent pause.  Cho's eyes remained riveted to the floor.  Amazing how interesting the stonework became to her at this time. 

So there it was.  She always thought to herself many times that Shelly would get expelled for doing (fill in the blank), but it was always just a thought.  She never thougt that Shelly would carry things so far that she would actually get expelled. 

Cho didn't quite know what to do about it, so she continued staring at the floor.  She hoped that someone else would say something at some point, because she knew that she couldn't look at Shelly again.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2004, 11:24:58 PM »
Shelly swallowed hard. She'd been expecting it, really... but it still didn't ease the shock very much. She fought back the tears that threatened and looked around at the stonework in the room, as though seeing it for the last time.

Exhaling faintly, she started to reach into her pocket to take out her wand and give it to Dumbledore, then remembered that she still didn't have it. She pointed at Cho's pocket, but the lump in her throat was as such that she couldn't articulate any words.

She ground her teeth as she watched Cho reach into her pocket and hand the wand over to Professor Dumbledore.

Offline Pro. Dumbledore

• Headmaster
  • Administrator
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2004, 05:31:50 PM »
Dumbledore fingered the wand for a moment, his face unreadable. Then, he took the wand in both hands, closed his eyes, and snapped the wand. Sparks flew from the tip, popping quietly.

At the same instant, a Ravenclaw student who happened to be walking past the house cup hourglasses jumped as the Gryffindor total changed dramatically as the points Shelly had lost disappeared.

Back in the hallway, Dumbledore opened his eyes and sighed. He handed the wand pieces back to Shelly. "We will arrange for you to be returned to your home." He looked to Professor McGonagall. "Minerva, would you please ask Professor Flitwick to deal with the Slytherin's furniture while you take care of restoring the ferret?"

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2004, 11:40:16 PM »
[OOC:]

*looks around*

Er... points.

15 to Angharad
*small smile as the points actually register in the hourglass*
25 to Cho
35 to Tia
15 to YamNeo
5 to Dawn
5 to Eliza
5 to Morgana
5 to Xan
3 to Shizuko
3 to Morrin

Wow. I did it. *smiles self-indulgently* [/OOC]

Shelly winced horribly as her wand gave it's last rain of objectionary sparks. She took the pieces back from Dumbledore and stared at them, not really seeing. She could see the unicorn hair poking out of the splintered remains of her faithful wand. Her head abuzz, she pocketed the remains.

Well, that's it, she thought numbly. Back to the muggles. Maybe Dad'll let me wash dishes for a living or something.

Shelly turned and followed Dumbledore in the directon of his office.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 11:56:12 PM by SeaShelly3 »

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2004, 07:51:34 AM »
[OOC:  and 35 to Shelly as well!]

Cho watched as Shelly and Dumbledore walked away toward the direction of the stone gargoyle that guarded the stairwell to Dumbledore's office.  For one last time, Cho sighed.  Life sure would be boring now without Shelly.

Offline Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »
Tia sighed as the hall cleared of it's most disturbing residents. "Whew, that went...better than I thought. For me, anyway." She smiled wearily at Cho. "I don't know about Shelly, but..." She kicked half-heartedly at the base of the wall. "Part of me is really really glad she's gone. Sort of. And the other part is trying to strangle that part and throw it in the lake."

She sighed again, brushing off her robes. "Oh well. One of these days I'm going to do something and not have to think afterwards about whether or not I should have done it, or how I could have done it better, or what might have happened if I'd never said such-and-such, you know? But today's not it." Tia looked at Cho, who probably wasn't bothering to unravel that sentence.

"Oh nevermind. I'm going to bed. I can feel guilty in the morning." Tia started to walk away, then raced back to Cho. "Hey! Give me back my wand!"

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2004, 12:05:16 AM »
Elsewhere:

The door shut behind Shelly with a small phut and she stepped into the Headmaster's office. She looked around interestedly, in spite of herself. She had been in here a few times before, of course, but she never got tired of all the curious artifacts in the circular room. She wished she knew what they were all for.

Shelly nodded to the phoenix in the cage at the middle of the room, but it turned away from her haughtily, reminding her of the reason she was here. She turned sheepishly to Dumbledore, sitting at the desk. He was looking very grim indeed. He made a gesture toward the chair in front of him, and Shelly crossed over to it and sat down, folding her hands in her lap and sitting straight backed, and looking and feeling very guilty. She felt the urge to run again, but one look at Dumbledore's stern face told her that she would have to sit it out. She looked down at her shoes and waited for the headmaster to speak.

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2004, 09:37:25 PM »
Cho reached into her pocket and handed both Tia and Angharad back their wands.  She glanced at her own wand, still out from when she had put Tia and Shelly under house arrest.  She sighed one more time, and pocketed her wand, walking slowly back in the direction of Gryffindor Tower. 

She wondered what Dumbledore was doing to Shelly right now.

Offline SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2004, 10:20:11 PM »
The silence was deafening.

Shelly got bored with examining her shoes and began looking around again. She could hear her heart pound in her ears, and her stomach had dropped into the area of her knees. Every second of silence heightened the tension. Once or twice she chanced a look at Dumbledore, but his expression, like it so often seemed to be, was unreadable.

Thirty seconds. One minute. Three. Shelly finally found her tongue.

"I-- D-do I-- Did you say I had to go back to the muggles? 'Cause... it's just... they don't understand me. I'll be seventeen soon... could I maybe... stay in Diagon Alley or something and..."

Shelly faded into silence. She knew she was in no position to be bargaining after she'd just been kicked out, but the idea of living like a muggle after so recently finding out about the real world was more than she could stand.

She also had no idea what she could do for a job. Somehow she didn't think many employers wanted a worthless ex-student working for them. She really wished Dumbledore would say something. She tried a different approach.

"I'm really s-ss-ss..." Shelly had never genuinely apologized for anything in her life. She had kept a vigilant self-rule her whole life that she would never have any regrets, and the first thing that eliminated was feeling sorry. She tried again. "I'm s-oooaarrraarrraaa..." Whoa. This whole apologizing thing took some getting used to. She looked hopefully at Dumbledore, hoping he had understood what she was trying to say, pleading with her eyes for understanding and compassion.