Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Marauder's Map  (Read 690 times)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Marauder's Map
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2004, 10:58:32 PM »

Great discussion - 10 points each to Marold, Cho, Mad, Susan, and Tiamat
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2004, 08:27:22 AM »

Well, just 'cause "everyone knows" doesn't mean they care. Maybe the twins didn't pay attention. Or maybe ....

Okay, what really should happen is that, unless the animagus is in human form, the map shouldn't show them. That makes sense, except that, IIRC, it's disproved. (But I'm going on the movie here, which is not necessarily the most reliable of sources. Gotta reread POA!)

Another thought, seems like the people focus more on what's around them. Who cares that there's a Peter Pettigrew in the common room when there's a professor coming right at you?
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2004, 05:40:33 PM »

... and 10 points to Heather as well.

I agree, Ping, that for consistency's sake, that's how it should go.  But that's not how it went in the movie or in the book.  In the movie, Peter's name shows up and Harry sees it.  In the book, the map is how Lupin saw that Peter was with them when they came out of Hagrid's hut ..... HEY!!!  I just realized something.  In the book, Lupin said he saw three of them enter Hagrid's hut but four of them leave.  That must mean either that Peter's name didn't show up until after they stepped out of the hut, or that he just didn't notice Peter's name.  Given that H, R, and H were already in Hagrid's hut, I find it hard to believe that he just didn't notice the name of one of his allegedly dead school chums floating around in the same place.

Am I wrong about this or am I on to something here?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2004, 10:28:55 PM »

I find it hard to believe that he just didn't notice the name of one of his allegedly dead school chums floating around in the same place

I concur.  I got the impression Lupin was going to use the map to see if Sirius entered the castle again (i.e., he would be checking it thoroughly and regularly).  I find it hard to believe that he would miss Peter Pettigrew on the map.  However, that assumes that Lupin was checking the map carefully.  Also, wouldn't Lupin have seen two Hermiones and two Harry Potters since at the time they were coming out of the hut, Harry and Hermione would have gone back in time to that spot as well?

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
  • Coke, Pepsi, Saline I.V.?
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2004, 12:15:57 AM »

maybe they never really paid much attention to the name since he was supposedly dead, and so it wasn't really that much of an issue. Plus, while they were using the map they were more focused on where teachers are, and probably didn't pay  much attention to who was in their rooms and everything. As long as the coast was clear, it didn't really matter if Ron was in the bathroom or his bed or anything, and they probably  just were so used to filtering out in their minds everything except for the teachers, that they never noticed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 05:14:56 PM by Ro »
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2004, 12:51:02 PM »

Question: Is Hagrid's hut ON the map?  The Forbidden Forest isn't, right?  Nor Hogsmeade, nor the lake?  Am I right?  That would easily explain why Lupin saw three going and four coming, but didn't see Pettigrew in the hut.  Also, Peter, knowing about the map and possibly not knowing who had it (?) might have hid in Hagrids hut on purpose because it was safer than the Forest, and off the map.  Ya think?
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2004, 05:53:52 PM »

Hmmmm, possibly.  But did Peter know that the map had been "found" and in use?  If not, then I don't suspect it would work.

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 01:20:06 PM »

He's spent 12 years as a rat because he didn't know when LV would show up again and whether or not his old friends would kill him.  I suspect he's of a rather paranoid/suspicious nature (especially since he became "as guilty as sin") and I wouldn't put it past him to hide at Hagrid's "just in case."  I mean, he didn't know the map was destroyed (which it wasn't) so he very well might suspect it was out there somewhere.  IMHO, anyway.
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2004, 04:02:27 PM »

a question was asked earlier as to how Fred and George were able to work the map. 

Who says they didn't ask nicely? unless the map wasn't cleaned off before Filtch got his hands on it.  If that's the case, then they could have asked how to clean it off.  We also know that Fred and George are very good at magic, they just don't apply themselves to the work done in school.  Who's to say they didn't put the incantations on the map themselves?
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2004, 04:12:52 PM »

I think I remeber it saying (thought I'm not sure) that Filch didn't know how to use it, so Fred and George must have just figured out how to use it rather than put the incantations on there themselves.

Am I remebering correctly?
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2004, 07:09:35 PM »

Good discussion - 10 points to Ping, Ro, Cho, Mad, and Marold

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2004, 09:38:59 PM »

I'm sure if they didn't put their own cantations on it, then they were told how to use it.  I'm sure the map can tell who's using it, after all, they did make fun of Prof. Snape when he tried to use it.
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2004, 09:48:41 PM »

oh! good point! I like that idea. That the map can tell who is trying to use it/for what purpose. Nice:)
~*~Ro~*~

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 12:17:50 AM »

[10 to Heather, too]

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »

Earlier, it was said that Harry got the map right after "Scabbers" disappeared.....but if that's so, why would he have been wandering the halls and seen Pettigrew's name on it?

Also, why would the original four pranksters not put those locations on the map?  Wouldn't they be handy in the middle of the night?

[scene]
 ::Padfoot and Prongs are running around outside::
{Padfoot} "We are far enough away from the lake, right?"
{Prongs} "Of course we are.  I know these grounds like the back of..." ::Prongs trips and falls right into the shallow end of the lake::

To me, a bit of a problem.

Lastly, about the multiple person issue.

When would Lupin have been looking at the Map?  First he was in the Shrieking Shack, then he was transformed into a werewolf.  At no point in there did he pull the map out.  So he couldn't have seen duplicates of Hermione and Harry.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up