Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misuse of Muggle Artifacts?  (Read 300 times)

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Misuse of Muggle Artifacts?
« on: July 12, 2004, 11:06:43 AM »

I was re-reading CoS thinking about Arthur Weasley's job (he has to conduct a bunch of raids), and I thought of this question:

if it's illegal to charm muggle objects and make them magical, how do things like flying broomsticks, flying motorcycles, flying carpets, etc., come to be?  We find out that moving pictures happen because you develop the film in a certain potion, but how do we get things like charmed apparently muggle objects?

Anyone have any thoughts?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
Re: Misuse of Muggle Artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 11:14:21 PM »

I had always assumed that things like brooms and magic carpets were created in the wizarding world as opposed to being enchanted muggle objects.  In other words, they are produced and created in the wizarding world as opposed to being appropriated and charmed.  They are things created for wizards which will stay in the wizarding world.

In comparison, muggle artifacts which are charmed could make their way back to the muggle world.  I saw the prohibition as being a ban on doing something that could reveal the wizarding world (don't mess with things that could get back to the muggles).

You raise a good point.  What about Sirius's motorcycle?
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 11:57:58 PM »

I had always assumed the same things you did, Heather, but then I got to thinking about them in more detail.  I am not quite sure where some of these things come from.  And what does it mean to be "made in the wizarding world"?  I mean, how does something become "magical"?  The materials from which it's made?  How it's made?

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 10:53:32 AM »

What if... nevermind.

Good point with the motorcycle. I think it will be important because I think it is an Enchanted Muggle "Artifact".
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:51:56 PM »

I always figured it was one of those inconsistencies of government, like how the speed limit is set, but cops almost NEVER pull you over unless you're going at least five miles over.  The normal rate of traffic on almost any given street is always 5-10 miles over the speed limit.  It's so common the government just looks the other way... until it starts causing a big problem.

I think that's why they outlawed flying carpets.  Too many problems with enchanted carpets going to the Muggles.  If they had tried to outlaw broomsticks at the same time, though, I think they would have had a riot on their hands.   :laugh:
Don't get stuck on stupid.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 09:45:41 AM »

I figured pretty much the same thing as Mad. I was also wondering, though, where they draw the line to "muggle artifacts", as far as the official law goes. There are some many things that both groups of people use, which could, in theory, find their way back to the muggle world. For example--why aren't animals mentioned? If you charm a cat to make it purple with orange spots, and it runs away from home, how do you explain that to your muggle neighbors who find it? I can just picture the flyer you'd post up.

"Lost: tabby cat. Male. Unusual coloring. If found, please drop it off at my place and then promptly forget what you saw."

OK, maybe that's a bit off the wall, but you get my point. ^___^
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:21 AM »

Well, I suppose the memory charm comes in handy in those situations...

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 11:32:47 AM »

Or Muggle-style excuses, like, "Some neighborhood ruffians dyed my cat."  Somehow, though, I doubt anyone who would do that to their cat would be sensible enough to say that.  :p

That's probably also why Animagi are supposed to be registered, etc.

Hey, maybe if you change your animal it becomes a "magical creature" and is under a different department?
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:47:39 PM »

That makes sense. If it has magic, then it is magic. that is twisted logic!
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 11:38:39 PM »

I would think it would be anything that got into muggle hands.  Like enchanting door knobs to bite peoples hands and things like that.  Also anything that would reveal the wizarding world to muggles.  I know I just restated what someone else said.

Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 08:36:04 AM »

I think what Heather means is something along these lines:

Broomsticks aren't bought wholesale from a muggle factory and enchanted. The stick itself is made by wizards for the specific purpose of becoming a flying broomstick. At no time is it ever likely to be in the hands of muggles. It's entirely a wizarding artifact.

Also, if a muggle comes across one, it's unlikely that they're going to think of it as anything other than an old or odd broomstick. It's not going to automatically activate and start carrying them off. It's just going to act like your regular broomstick.

My impression was that the flying carpets didn't have that same safety mechanism built in. The Ford Anglia had the same problem. And the motorcycle was quite likely against the rules, too, but think about the only times we saw it -- used by wizards during a time when the ministry was fighting a desperate fight against a terrible evil. They were too busy trying to keep the rest of the world from finding out about LV. A flying motorcycle was probably not even a blip on their radar, so to speak.

Which isn't to say that Sirius couldn't have gotten in trouble for it, I think, nor Hagrid either, but Dumbledore was hardly going to turn them in. And I wager Sirius probably enjoyed the danger of possibly getting into trouble for having an illegal object.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 06:46:38 PM »

My impression was that the flying carpets didn't have that same safety mechanism built in.

Probably not, considering they were advertised as a "family vehicle".  That would mean children of wizarding families, regardless of their magical ability, could fly around with their folks in a nice snug carpet.  Broomsticks, being a one-person ride, would be a different story.

So are Portkeys muggle items used in a wizardly way, or are they specifically created by wizards?  Keep in mind how Arthur described them in GoF....

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 08:52:47 PM »

15 points to Cho for starting this thread.  10 points to Marold, Mad, Shelly, and Susan for their contributions.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 09:09:43 AM »

So are Portkeys muggle items used in a wizardly way, or are they specifically created by wizards?

I think they're Muggle items, but the Ministry has such strict rules on how and when you can use them that it's outside the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office. Don't they have a separate office in the MoM just for Portkeys? For the world cup, they used a muggle boot, but it was inconspicuously placed on top of a remote hill in a narrow time window, so that the odds of a Muggle running across it would have been nearly impossible.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 11:42:57 AM »

Well, interesting.  How do you know that?  My instinct would have been that it was specifically created by wizards but created to look like muggle litter so that no muggle would touch it. 

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 11:47:14 AM »

Well, I don't know for a fact, I just kind of assumed. I guess I thought they wouldn't go to the trouble of making a boot when there are plenty of trashy boots just lying around.

YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 03:36:11 AM »

Sounds like we've found a clause in drawing the line between "wizarding artifacts" and "muggle artifacts".

Most likely they do pick up some muggle rubbish, then have licensed, MoM-approved wizards/witches enchant them to become Portkeys.

That way, they sidestep the Misuse issue.

Plus, I'm guessing that Portkeys aren't used nearly that often.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up