Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Horcruxes speculation thread  (Read 1452 times)

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Horcruxes speculation thread
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »

Erm, not to be a smart aleck here, but if it's a horcrux, wouldn't it be, um, part of LV's soul?

I guess I just assumed it was heavy because of the metal/material that it was made from.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2006, 11:10:15 PM »

Do you think the piece of his soul is a tangible thing? I kind of thought that the object was more... infused, I guess, with his soul. Which means that there could still be something of value inside the locket, and yet "contain" a piece of spirit.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »

'Spose it's possible.  I guess I never thought that the locket itself would contain much of substance.

You know, I think that Harry is going to have to learn more about horcruxes from someone before he's really able to destroy them.  He just doesn't know enough about them.  I wonder who would be the best person to teach him about them...?

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2006, 04:32:03 AM »

I'd guess Slughorn, after a bit of whining on his part.  A bit of irony there, the same man who taught LV about horcruxes teaching someone else how to undo them?

er, hold on.  I wonder where LV got his knowledge?  I mean, Sluggy just told him the basics, right, not how to actually DO the spell.  Is there a dark master somewhere, hiding?  Will Harry find him?  Is that who will teach him what he needs to know?

**bites nails, waiting for Book 7**

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Angelina Tonks

• Hufflepuff
  • Sixth-year
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2006, 04:34:40 PM »

I've got a feeling this is where the whole R.A.B. business comes in... If s/he's destroyed the locket, then Harry needs to find him/her and ask how, and ask for help on locating the other horcruxes.
Either that, or Slughorn, as Susan said. He seems to know about horcruxes - maybe he knew more than he was letting on to Riddle?
The world is full of bad people - it's just some who are on opposite sides.
The moving tree will get you!

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2007, 12:18:23 AM »

Okay.  So I finished book 6 and I've moved backwards to book 5.  I found confirmation that Nagini is really a horcrux.  Remember when Harry "dreams" that Nagini attacks Arthur Weasley?  Well, in the "dream,"  Harry was Nagini.  He was the snake gliding along hoping to be able to find the "weapon" when he comes upon Arthur.  And when Harry wakes up, his scar is excruciatingly painful.  This only happens with LV.  He was only able to get into LV's thoughts/mind.  His scar only reacts when LV is thinking/feeling/up to something.  So the connection between LV and Nagini has to be that part of LV's soul is in Nagini.

//looks around triumphantly//

Right, guys? 

//ringing silence//

//crickets chirping//

Uh ... guys?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »

Oooh, good call, Cho! *applaud*

I put a countdown calendar on my google homepage. I really should actually preorder the book...
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Kenobi Maul

• Slytherin Quidditch Team Captain and Tutor
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • We are better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2007, 02:40:09 AM »

I would prefer a different interpretation.

It has been well established that the Dark Lord can, and does, possess snakes when it suits his purposes (indeed, if I recall correctly, Albus states explicitly that the Dark Lord possesses Nagini).  My reading of the relevant passage, Cho, would be that Harry is "being" the Dark Lord possessing Nagini, hence the sense of "being" Nagini, and the headache.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2007, 03:08:39 AM »

First:

Wow, KM, long time no see! What brings you back to this neck of the web?

Next:

I'm not positive I understand you correctly, but let me see if I've got it straight. You think that Nagini is not a horcrux because the passage that Cho cited could also be an example of his ability to possess any snake, and not of his unique connection to Nagini.

But then what does that say about the connection between Harry and Voldypants in the first place? That's always been my prime indicator that Harry is a horcrux, that he shares that connection with Voldy against both their wills.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Kenobi Maul

• Slytherin Quidditch Team Captain and Tutor
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • We are better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »

SeaShelly, you're about right about what I think.  I think the having a special connection, being a Horcrux, and being possessed are three separate things.

First, one does not need to have a special connection in order to be a Horcrux.  If this wasn't the case, the Dark Lord would surely have known that he had lost a Horcrux (admittedly, this assumes that he did not know--but I will take the fact that R.A.B.'s note was still there to be found is a good sign he didn't).  More generally, I seem to recall that Albus told Harry that the Dark Lord's soul was now so well distributed that he would not notice if he lost a Horcrux.

Second, one does not need to have a special connection or be a Horcrux in order to be possessed.  Indeed, the Dark Lord has admitted that during his years in exile he frequently possessed lesser creatures, and that his preferred creature was the snake.  The converse is also true, although less interesting: obviously, you do not have to be possessed by someone in order to be a Horcrux, or have a special connection with them.

Remains the third and, perhaps, most salient question: does one need to be a Horcrux in order to have a special connection or, put another way, do Harry's and Nagini's special connections to the Dark Lord mean that they are Horcruxes?  I cannot speak to the general case.

However, I will try to address the contention that the Potter boy is one of the Dark Lord's Horcruxes.  First, if it is the case, the Dark Lord did not know it at the end of SS.  Otherwise, he would never have instructed Quirrell to kill the boy (would you trust such a clearly inferior wizard to perform powerful and destructive magic on a fragment of your soul?).  Second, if it is the case, Albus did not know it at the time of his death.  For all his soft-heartedness, I can only with difficulty imagine his allowing his pet student to run amock with a fragment of the Dark Lord's soul under his skin.

Finally, I cannot believe that the Potter boy is an "accidental" Horcrux.  From everything I've read, I have gotten the distinct impression that Horcrucifixion is an advanced and complicated piece of magic, and that one is as likely to accidentally make someone a Horcrux as to brew Felix Felicis by throwing ingredients into a pot willy-nilly.  I concede that there is only one recorded instance of Avada Kedavra backfiring, and that therefore its side effects are completely unknown, but I really do think the special connection and transferral of powers and abilities is the beginning and the end of it.

PS for SeaShelly: It's been a busy few years, but I, like everyone else around here I imagine, am starting to get seriously worked up about this next book coming out...

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:18 PM »

It is sooooo interesting to read these old posts!

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up