Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Reply  (Read 617 times)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Quick Reply
« on: July 04, 2005, 08:28:05 AM »

I usually use the quick reply feature to make posts, but lately I've had a weird problem. Whenever I try to click "post," I get a message that says I've already submitted the post, and must have double clicked or tried to refresh, when I know I haven't. I usually can solve it by hitting "back" on my browser, and then "forward," and then clicking through a message that says something about POSTDATA or something, but it still seems weird. Any ideas on how I could fix it? Do I need to clear my cache or something? Or maybe the board doesn't like Firefox?

Also, just out of curiousity, I seem to remember having the BBCode buttons on Quick reply, but now they've disappeared. Did they not work out, or is it another Firefox thing? I love my new Mac, but sometimes compatibility with the rest of the world is a problem.  :-[

Thanks in advance!  ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Reply
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:39:34 AM »

Shelly, the buttons thing is not a Firefox thing.  They've disappeared for me as well, and I'm still on IE.  I've been wondering the same thing but never really think about it long enough to ask.
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 10:06:26 AM »

The buttons thing was a mod of the forum code that wasn't compatible with recent upgrades.

As for the quick reply thing, that's odd. Has anyone else had this problem? Might be a glitch in the code, but might be more serious.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 12:05:02 PM »

I had a slightly different problem with quick reply; when I tried using it yesterday it would hang up/freeze after I hit post.  For some reason, I could not use the quick reply to post.  It is working fine this morning, however.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 02:37:08 PM »

Try clearing your cache and making sure that it doesn't have an incorrect password saved. If that fixes it, yay. If not, let me know, and I'll do some more digging. (Haven't seen this problem on the SMF boards.)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 03:17:45 PM »

Hmm, it seems to be working now, or at least it has for the last two posts I made, plus this one. I'll let you know if it starts doing it again, though. Thanks!
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 03:16:37 AM »

Well, that weird thing just happened again, and I just cleared the cache today.  :-\

Sorry to be a pest, I'm just hoping to get it fixed, because of that sinking feeling I get when I don't think a long post I just typed will go through.  :o

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »

I tried to look this up, and I think I found the source of the problem. It might take me a day or two to fix, because I'm swamped right now and it may involve some hand-coding, but I should be able to get it working. I'll let you know when I do.

EDIT: I think I found the error and fixed it, but no guarantees. Let me know if you're still having problems. If so, I'll do some more digging.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 07:17:31 AM by Ping »

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 11:30:45 PM »

OK, thank you so much Ping! ;D Sorry again for all the trouble.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 05:09:00 AM »

You're not the one being a pain! *glares at forum spells* These things WILL work correctly, I swear!

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 12:32:31 AM »

OK, I really hate to say it, but it's still doing it sometimes. It's kind of an off and on thing, happens once in a while, and then goes away. Should I just ignore it? Because I have no major problem with it, and it's probably easier for me to regain or even retype the occasional post than it is for you to recode the entire board on my behalf.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 06:22:59 AM »

Well, if it's happening ot you, it's happening to others, I fear. Does it happen on only the ones with the main theme, or on the Hufflepuff theme and/or Gryffindor theme?

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »

Well, the place it's been happening the most is in Zonko's, but if I recall correctly, it's also happened once or twice in the Great Hall.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 04:10:19 PM »

Okay. I'll, erm, try to get to it this weekend. No promises. I've been programming heavily at work, which makes it harder to dig through code at home.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 05:54:38 PM »

Don't stress yourself over it! I'd hate for you to waste the HBP weekend trying to fix my trivial problem! Really, it can wait for as long as you want. :)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »

Okay, I think I've got it mostly fixed. If you still have problems, let me know, and I'll kill them all... erm, I mean, work on the problem.  >:D

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »

I really think it must be something I'm doing wrong at this point. I can't believe it's still happening after all this work you did, but it is. Here's what happens: I'll go to the quick reply, usually for one of the game threads in Zonko's, and I'll type up my post. I click "Post" and and it looks like it's going to post. Then it gives me a big error page that says something very similar to "ERROR! You have already tried to submit this post! You may have double-clicked, or tried to refresh." And then I click the Back Button in Firefox, and the post is no longer typed up in the quick reply box. So I click "Forward" in Firefox, and it posts just fine. Maybe I should just turn off quick reply. It's not like it's a big deal to make one extra click to post. :)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »

Hrmmm. That's so weird, because the problem should be because it's got an old file, and I updated all the files. Mrrr. I'll submit a help ticket and see what I can do.

As a tip for all members until we get this fixed, I always copy my post before I post it. That way, it's in the clipboard and I can paste it if I need it, or just move on to something else.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 02:26:14 AM »

I don't know if this is the same kind of problem, but I absolutely cannot seem to post a new topic in the Shrieking Shack right now. The first three times I tried, it gave me an error that said "This IP has tried to post a topic in the last five seconds." Then I left the board, came back, and tried to post a topic again, and now it just won't go at all. Every time I click post, it just does nothing. Preview still works, but Post doesn't. It seems like it's kind of the same problem, that it says I already tried to post, but its different, too. I don't really know. =/

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »

Have you tried clearing your cache? Try it again. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff. That might help. If not, let me know, and I'll keep prodding.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 10:53:22 PM »

OK, I seem to have figured out another part of the problem. The thread I was trying to post was the humongous Mugglenet interview in the Shrieking Shack, and it kept giving me that IP warning. So, on a whim, I decided to try shortening the segments I was posting it in, from about 9,000 characters to 6,500 characters, and it worked! Then, when I tried to post another segment in a reply, I went back to almost 10,000 characters, and it gave me the weird IP warning again, but shortening it made it go through.

Before I did that, I tried everything I could think of to do with the cache. I cleared it, increased the space I was allowing, decreased the space I was allowing, made the space I was allowing for the cache zero, tried refreshing (sorry!), went to other pages, came back to post, posted another topic (which worked), closed all the other applications I had running, and cleared the cache again. So I think it must have something to do with the amount of characters I was including, but how that translates to the quick reply problem I was having, (if you can even call it that anymore,) I'm not sure.

Let me know if there's anything at all I can do to help you fix it. And if you want me to just shut up about it and leave you alone, I will. I can't say I'd blame you! ;D

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 11:47:08 PM »

Hrrrm, that sounds quite bizarre. I know there's been error messages about length before. I wonder if it's a bug in the program code. I shall investigate a bit further and see what I can come up with.

What web browser do you use? What version? This might be something specific to that. If it's not, well, I'll keep poking at it. Eventually maybe it'll turn from an armchair into a wizard. :D

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 05:30:04 AM »

Yeah, it seems like it might be a browser thing, or maybe a Mac thing. (Not that I know anything about coding, though! ;D)

I use Firefox version 1.0.2, and I'm on a Macintosh iBook G4 with OSX version 10.3.9. Also, I have another browser installed, Safari, version 1.3, which I very rarely use, but which I've never had a problem with. Not sure if this is significant, because I really hardly ever use Safari, but thought I'd mention it all the same.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 07:43:35 AM »

I don't know why this should make a difference, but try upgrading to the latest version of Firefox.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 12:02:32 PM »

OK, I upgraded to 1.0.6. It was a good idea anyways, I didn't even know I was running an outdated version. I'll let you know if I'm still having problems. Thank you so much for all your help. :)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

No problem! :) Hopefully this helps. If not, I'm totally stumped. :(

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2005, 02:58:38 PM »

Okay, I think maybe I found it. Keep trying. Between the two of us, maybe we'll figure it out.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 08:10:37 PM »

Right on. I wish I knew more about coding and stuff so I'd be more of a help to you, rather than a whiner. Maybe I should start learning how this board is put together? (This coming from me, who had to struggle to understand JavaScript and who still forgets how to make a basic HTML table. :roll:)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »

You might also want to clear not just your files but your cookies, or at least the Hogsmeade cookies (HogsmeadeCookie is the current one, but anything else from this URL should go). Make sure you only have your SeaShelly password remembered once. If that doesn't work, then I will get someone over here to look.

As a note, Javascript and HTML tables are pretty much the hardest, most annoying things I've ever found about coding. This board is written with PHP and MySQL. I'd recommend starting with PHP. It's pretty easy, and there are lots of tutorials out there on getting started with it. The only thing you need is a web host with PHP so you can run your scripts.

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 09:28:57 AM »

So, how has this been going? If it's still messing up, I need to do some more chatting with the forum folks.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2005, 02:50:13 AM »

I haven't had any problems yet, but I haven't posted a lot yet either. I've been a bit AWOL on the internet lately, haven't even been updating LJ 93 times a day. ;D

So, it looks like everything's OK, but I'll definitely keep you posted in case something does go wrong. Thanks!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 06:16:06 AM »

Someone finally responded to a question I posted on the error you were getting when trying to post something that was too long. They asked if you use AOL. Do you? I didn't know. :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2005, 08:36:03 AM »

Ha, no. I'm not that masochistic. ;D Closest I have is AOL Instant Messenger, but that doesn't really count, does it?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up