Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
  • Coke, Pepsi, Saline I.V.?
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
Re: Books
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2004, 01:46:37 AM »

YES!! THE X-FILES BOOKS! ANTIBODIES!! LoL:) sorry, ITA, that's the best XF book...I also really loved Goblins and Skin...but yeah, Antibodies was my favorite:)

I love the Princess Bride movie, I've never read the book.

Didn't like Of Mice and Men.

The Outsiders is a great book if you haven't read it. I read it for my 8th grade English class (which I also where I first saw the princess bride movie) and loved it then, and I love it now.

To Kill A Mockingbird is excellent.

The Catcher In The Rye was great.

There are Farscape books which are terriffic, espeicially if you like the series...

Right now though, I'm reading this book called Genetically Engineered Food: Changing the Nature of Nature. I've only read the first chapter, but so far it's really intersting and I've learned a lot. Of course, that isn't quite the type of book that have been mentioned so far... :angel:
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2004, 01:48:32 PM »

Antibodies was your fav? i liked the 3 i've read: Antibodies, ground Zero, and Ruins. ruins was cool.

hey Ro, what was the name of the xf episode where Mulder is in a speedo in the beginning?

Can't remember! :'(
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2004, 03:57:37 PM »

ah! mulder's speedo! hehee, it's in the Scully!Abduction trilogy, when he's first partnered with Krycek...ummm...LoL, so it's either Duane Barry, Ascension, or One Breath, and I believe it's  Ascension, but I'm not really sure.

::goes off to check::

I LOVE THE X-FILES!!!
~*~Ro~*~
"If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in the universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that can't be programmed, categorized, or easily refrenced." ~ Special Agent Fox Mulder - The X-Files:Fight the Future

Ro

• Gryffindor
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
    • Ratty and Bo
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2004, 04:01:56 PM »

hehe, i was close, it's in Duane Barry. Season 2. Episode 5.

The transcripts archive (http://www.insidethex.co.uk/) is the most invaluable website in the world!
~*~Ro~*~

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

Thanks Ro. I will find it on one night, I will! :-*

Ginny Weasley

• Ravenclaw
  • First-year Student
  • I am a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2004, 12:58:24 PM »

Don't we all just LOVE the X-Files? SciFi better start airing it again, or I am going to break down and cry on the spot. We hope Duanne Berry comes on soon. SO soon.  :'(

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2004, 09:29:03 PM »

You can catch the X-files on TNT.

Back to the topic - what is everyone reading this summer?  I am looking for a new book to read.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Kelpie

• Tri-wzard Tournament Winner
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Life, isn't it a beautiful sight?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2004, 01:04:22 AM »

I'm about to finish Sense and Senisibility, by Jane Austen (only 3 chapters to go!), I have to finish Les Trois Mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers), by Alexandre Dumas (only 593 pages to go............), once I'm done both of those, I want to read The Merlin Conspiracy, by Diana Wynne Jones (I love her books), and after that, The Amulet of Samarkand, although I can't remember who wrote that. I hope I'll have the time to read them all, and maybe even more!
Better be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Permlessgirl

• Ravenclaw
  • Prefect
  • Fourth-year Student
  • "S'up Figgy?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »

I've just finished reading Hard Love and now I'm nearly done re-reading The Subtle Knife. I think I'm going to read Olivia Jewels and the over-active imagination next. It's by Helen Fielding, she wrote Bridget Jones' diary. I've heard good things about it so I thought I'd try it out. After that I might finally get around to reading The DaVinci code.

I work in a book store, I always change my mind. There are just so many options right in front of me every day!  
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have,"

Kelpie

• Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2004, 05:11:03 AM »

You're so lucky you work in a bookstore. I don't go that often, because I already have so many books, but when I do go, I spend hours.

I finished Sense & Sensibility!

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2004, 03:15:22 PM »

Good for you, Kelpie!

I started it a while ago. I need to pick it up again! :-\

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2004, 11:59:03 PM »

Just to stick my nose in here, I LOVE Jane Austen.  I've read her six novels, and the novella Lady Susan, which was extremely intriguing as it is written entirely as letters.  Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book of all time, and I have a special affection for Northanger Abbey.

I've read two trilogies by Phillip Pullman, and I have to say I really don't like him.  He's an excellent writer, and it was enjoyable to experience his use of language and ability to paint pictures and make characters seem to live, but... well, the points he seems to be making, and his lack of what I consider moral fiber really disturbed me.  I probably wouldn't have batted an eye however much I disagree with him except that these are CHILDREN'S books, and award winners at that.  I find it disturbing that such subtle and destructive (IMO) messages were being fed to children beside what was otherwise good literature and a neat story.

I've gotten pickier about what I read.  I read part of Tom Jones by Henry Fielding, but decided it was too - for lack of a better word - icky, and stopped reading it.  I did watch a film version because I was so curious about the plot, but I really regret it, because that, also, was icky.  Clever, yes, but icky.  It's just not worth it to me anymore.  I hate the icky.

I think I may stick to children's books.  Classics tend to be depressing, and modern fiction tends to be icky.  Only children's books guarantee me a pleasant read (except Philip Pullman.)

I can, however, highly recommend Crime and Punishment as being surprisingly not-depressing for a Russian novel.   :laugh:
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2004, 11:05:54 AM »

Yay! Someone who agrees with me about Philip Pullman!!!! I read the Ruby in the Smoke years ago, and the book that came after it, and while I liked the characters, I felt that the message was dubious at best. So I stopped and am not going to read any more, however good people tell me they are!

Wait, Crime and Punishment is not-depressing???? Okay, well, maybe it didn't depress me so much as make me want to walk into the book and beat Raskolnikov into a bloody pile of goo. I SO hated him!

And then there was the never-ending C&P walk we took in St. Petes. I was pretty sure my feet were going to fall off by the end of it.
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2004, 12:47:31 PM »

I said not-depressing for a Russian novel, by which I meant it had a hopeful ending.  I struggled in the middle of it, myself, but the end was so uplifting (after wading through all the misery and other foulness - murder, hate, self-loathing, what-have-you) that I really enjoyed it.

I want to read things like The Three Musketeers and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but I don't like things that are depressing (and end badly) so I'm not sure I really want to.

I made the mistake of reading Wuthering Heights two winters ago when I was pregnant and couldn't sleep at night.  It pretty spooky, but it was depressing and irritating, and my hormones didn't help!  :p  :laugh:

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2004, 01:04:21 PM »

Aaah, that makes more sense. If you want uplifting endings, read Anna Karenina. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't end with a suicide. :P

The Three Muskateers? Depressing? It was about ... stupid French people. I guess I can see that being depressing.... :)

One Ping Only

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2004, 01:59:27 PM »

I thought I had heard that it's like Jane Austen.  Everyone dies.  ;)

(Sorry, folks, that's an inside joke from when Ping and I were in college together.)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2004, 03:04:01 PM »

I don't think so, but then, I've never read it.

But then again, stupid French people dying--I see nothing depressing there... ;)

One Ping Only

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

I'm reading the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Quite controversial to Christians, but written very well.

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2004, 12:47:36 PM »

I finished it! Really well written, but as said above, controversial.

anghara

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2004, 05:18:59 AM »

Last book I've read is DaVinci code.
Quite interesting, but I didn't like the end, it's like the author wrote it in a rush.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2004, 08:06:57 AM »

I've been listening to it as an audio book, and I haven't gotten very far, and already I want to track the author down and beat a few things into his head. (And this has nothing to do with the controversy, which I don't really care much about one way or another.)

1. Trust me to remember what you told me two or three sentances ago.
You don't have to repeat something three times just so that you're sure I'll know how the main character feels about something. In fact, stop telling me at all. SHOW me.

2. Don't be afraid of description.
He describes the layout of the Louvre (sp?) and the brass line and such, and a few facial features, but otherwise, the entire thing could be taking place in the a dark, silent world. There's no appeal to the other senses.

3. As an author, you no longer have to adhere to the "Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em; tell 'em; tell 'em what you told 'em" philosphy of essay writing.
In reading a mystery/suspense kind of story, the reader knows to pay attention to every possible detail. You only have to tell them once. Maybe twice, but the second time should be the "I've brought you all here to reveal the murderer" scene.

So, basically, I'm only a chapter or two into it, and I feel like the author doesn't trust my intelligence as a reader. It's ... very annoying. To say the least. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish listening to it. I only got it because so many people had read it and said it was good. So I'm wondering if it gets better, or if I just have higher standards. ;)

One Ping Only

AHD

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2004, 08:40:11 AM »

I listened to it as an audio book as well and enjoyed it - however if you are not that far in, I suggest you read his first Robert Langdon book, 'Angels and Demons' - I actually enjoyed that one more, although read it after I had listened to DaVinci Code - 

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2004, 12:15:58 PM »

Oops, need to read Angels and demons. ( :-[ )

I liked it a lot. As soon as i liked teabing, he was bad. i was upset. i unwillingly liked the bad guy this time!

Kelpie

• Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2004, 12:25:19 PM »

(Sorry, I'm going back to a subject which happened a bit ago, but it interest's me.)

The Three Musketeers is not depressing, and it isn't about "stupid french people". There is pretty much only one character who annoys you sometimes, and that's only because he's young and has not a lot of experience. It's a very fun book, and sure, a lot of people do get killed off, but if they didn't, the story just wouldn't be nearly as powerful, in a way, if you know what I mean. No, but...I highly recomend it to anyone (I finished it while I was in Belgium). It's fun, and some parts a bit sad, and exciting. It's pretty much your swash buckling adventure, with a few parts a bit more serious.
If you've read The Count of Monte Cristo, you'll love TTM as well, although it's slightly less good, because really, TCOMC is sheer brilliance. I devoured that book, it's the best french book I've ever read.

I finished reading The Merlin Conspiracy two days ago, which was very good, but I confess not as good as the Chrestomancy Series, also written by Diana Wynne Jones.

Now, I'm reading The Amulet of Samarkand, by Jonathan Stroud. I'm already more than half way through it. It's amazing.

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2004, 02:24:02 AM »

i think im going to reccomend my only recreational summer reading choice so far: Snow Crash. i forgot the author, but its a good peice of writing. Its in a Cyber-punk setting, so if you don't like that kind of story, i guess its not for you. oh, there's also a healthy bit of adult themes. but beyond that, its good stuff. lots of history in it too.

although, any book in which a vietnam vet mafia leader and a mutant eskamo face off is fine by me.  ;D
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2004, 04:05:04 PM »

You have got to get me the name of that author!! :o

AnimeZealot X

• Professor of Divinations
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
  • Formal Friday
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2004, 03:21:49 AM »

No problem at all. It was writen by Neal Stephenson. He's one of the best Cyber-punk writers.

I would also suggest on the Cyber-punk tangent, Neromancer, and Cryptynomicon (i think). I don't know the authors' names, becuase i haven't actualy read the books yet, but it's on my list.
"Something's different in my world today: they changed my traffic signs to a brighter yellow." ~ Jason Mraz

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »

thanks.!!

this might be too much of a childerens series, but Garth Nix wrote Sabriel Lirealand Abhorsen

These are very interesting, albeit young. If you ever have time, you should look into them. I liked them alot!!

Kelpie

• Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2004, 03:16:08 PM »

My brother tried once to convince my sister to read Sabriel, but she really didn't like it. I didn't really get the plot, as no one really tried to explain it to me, I just heard parts of the conversation. She didn't seem to like it, and she said it was something like some weirdo trying to kill zombies or something of that sort. You know, the knew "Sabriel, the zombie slayer". Actually, me and my brother did have a laught about that...anyway, it sounded weird. So, what is it actually about?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2004, 05:37:27 PM »

Hey, if only Sabriel was around! I think she once said that book was where she got her name. :)

I tried the Da Vinci code again this morning to see if I could find my place. I was annoyed just trying to find my place! Sad.

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up