Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Secrets of JKR's new site  (Read 2340 times)

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: Secrets of JKR's new site
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2004, 03:10:49 PM »

It's called "Joanie." Maybe it's been up for ages and ages and I've never seen it, but it's about a supposed nickname of hers that's false.

And I was totally going to come and post all the information from the site on here, and I got three quarters of the way through typing it all, and I bumped the Back hotkey on my mouse and lost it all. Argh...
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2004, 05:42:32 PM »

THE DOOR IS OPEN.

This is arguably the most influential of the times the door has opened.

Here is how to get through the door.

Go to the Room of Requirement page. Click on the open door in the mirror. It will close, thus opening the actual door. A Christmas tree is revealed, with six presents underneath and six candles suspended from the tree. Clicking on a present will reveal a riddle. You must solve all six riddles to get to the end. The answers are as follows: (I'm sorry, I don't have the riddles, but hopefully you can match the answers to the correct riddles without too much difficulty)

HALF
BLOOD
PRINCE
OTTER
CORNED BEEF
BRISTOL

After all six candles are lit, click on the middle card in the string of Christmas cards to see the announcement.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »

gah, you beat me to this, too. Darn time zones. :P

It's awesome, isn't it? I'm shocked - so didn't expect her to be done already. Brilliant early Christmas present, this is. ;D
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »

Indeed!  I noticed that when the door opened, the door in the mirror (the one the reflection of the Christmas tree peeks out from) closes.  Fun!

So, uh, what do you guys, do -- visit the site every day??

Oh, and 15 points to Shelly for this great news!
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2004, 10:53:33 PM »

Thanks, Cho!  ;D

So, uh, what do you guys, do -- visit the site every day??

Um... yeah. Unfortunately. It's my solemn duty as a nerd. ::)

Obsessive? Moi?  :laugh:

Madeleine

• Resident Mum
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Flavor of the week: Chili Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2005, 03:07:44 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY SHE HAD A GIRL!!!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Maybe next week or so she'll update a little more and answer the poll question.  I should double check and see if she has, but I bet it won't be for a few more days.  :)
Don't get stuck on stupid.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2005, 01:31:59 AM »

I went onto JKR's site tonight for the first time in a long, long time and noticed that the FAQ poll answer (to Neville's relationship to the prophecy) had come and gone without my being able to tune in to it, and without anyone posting it here.  I had come to rely on you all so much to check the site daily that I had grown lax in my own checking of her site. 

If anyone read and recalls the FAQ poll answer on this particular question (gosh, I even forget what the question was, really), can you post it here?

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2005, 01:40:39 AM »

This is from the JKR.com archives on Mugglenet:

What is the significance of Neville being the other boy to whom the prophecy might have referred?

Finally, I am answering the poll question! I am sorry it has taken so long, but let me start by saying how glad I am that this was the question that received the most votes, because this was the one that I most wanted to answer. Some of you might not like what I am going to say - but I'll address that issue at the end of my response!

To recap: Neville was born on the 30th of July, the day before Harry, so he too was born 'as the seventh month dies'. His parents, who were both famous Aurors, had 'thrice defied' Voldemort, just as Lily and James had. Voldemort was therefore presented with the choice of two baby boys to whom the prophecy might apply. However, he did not entirely realise what the implications of attacking them might be, because he had not heard the entire prophecy. As Dumbledore says:

'He [the eavesdropper] only heard the beginning, the part foretelling the birth of a boy in July to parents who had thrice defied Voldemort. Consequently, he could not warn his master that to attack you would be to risk transferring power to you.'

In effect, the prophecy gave Voldemort the choice of two candidates for his possible nemesis. In choosing which boy to murder, he was also (without realising it) choosing which boy to anoint as the Chosen One - to give him tools no other wizard possessed - the scar and the ability it conferred, a magical window into Voldemort's mind.

So what would have happened if Voldemort had decided that the pure-blood, not the half-blood, was the bigger threat? What would have happened if he had attacked Neville instead? Harry wonders this during the course of 'Half-Blood Prince' and concludes, rightly, that the answer hinges on whether or not one of Neville's parents would have been able, or prepared, to die for their son in the way that Lily died for Harry. If they hadn't, Neville would have been killed outright. Had Frank or Alice thrown themselves in front of Neville, however, the killing curse would have rebounded just as it did in Harry's case, and Neville would have been the one who survived with the lightning scar. What would this have meant? Would a Neville bearing the lightning scar have been as successful at evading Voldemort as Harry has been? Would Neville have had the qualities that have enabled Harry to remain strong and sane throughout all of his many ordeals? Although Dumbledore does not say as much, he does not believe so: he believes Voldemort did indeed choose the boy most likely to be able to topple him, for Harry's survival has not depended wholly or even mainly upon his scar.

So where does this leave Neville, the boy who was so nearly King? Well, it does not give him either hidden powers or a mysterious destiny. He remains a 'normal' wizarding boy, albeit one with a past, in its way, as tragic as Harry's. As you saw in 'Order of the Phoenix,' however, Neville is not without his own latent strengths. It remains to be seen how he will feel if he ever finds out how close he came to being the Chosen One.

Some of you, who have been convinced that the prophecy marked Neville, in some mystical fashion, for a fate intertwined with Harry's, may find this answer rather dull. Yet I was making what I felt was a significant point about Harry and Voldemort, and about prophecies themselves, in showing Neville as the also-ran. If neither boy was 'pre-ordained' before Voldemort's attack to become his possible vanquisher, then the prophecy (like the one the witches make to Macbeth, if anyone has read the play of the same name) becomes the catalyst for a situation that would never have occurred if it had not been made. Harry is propelled into a terrifying position he might never have sought, while Neville remains the tantalising 'might-have-been'. Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.

Of course, none of this should be taken to mean that Neville does not have a significant part to play in the last two novels, or the fight against Voldemort. As for the prophecy itself, it remains ambiguous, not only to readers, but to my characters. Prophecies (think of Nostradamus!) are usually open to many different interpretations. That is both their strength and their weakness.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 01:43:27 AM by SeaShelly3 »

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2005, 07:11:50 AM »

Wow.  That's the most wordy and substantial answer she's ever given.  That's pretty interesting.  I was never that thrilled with her use of the prophecy as the "catalyst" for LV's actions, but in light of her answer, I like it a little better than before because it introduces just a little bit more of an element of choice than the usual "triggering the prophecy by trying to avoid it" plot line.

Thanks, Shelly!  Take 10 for finding it and posting it here.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »

Just in time for HBP, JKR answered the newest FAQ poll! She answered the question "How do members of the Order of the Phoenix communicate with each other?"

I don't have it here to cut and paste, sorry. I found the answer interesting, but it wasn't the question I would have liked to see answered.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »

You're right, Shelly.  It is an interesting answer (I couldn't figure out a way to cut and paste it here.  Sorry).

I would have to say it's a bit of a stretch, however, to say that the answer could be found in book 4.  I have read book 4 many a time and have never seen that particular "answer" anywhere near clearly laid out in book 4. 

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »

There is a new FAQ poll up!

Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:23 PM »

What happens to a secret when the Secret-Keeper dies?

I was surprised that this question won, because it is not the one I'd have voted for...but hey, if this is what you want to know, this is what you want to know! [ARGH, I HATE it when she does that! Does anyone remember what the other 2 questions were, so we can derive some clues???]

When a Secret-Keeper dies, their secret dies iwth them, or to put it another way, the status of their secret will remain as it was at the moment of their death.  Everybody in whom they confided will continue to know the hidden information, but nobody else.

Just in case you have forgotten how the Fidelius Charm works, it is
"an immensely complex spell involving the magical concealment of a secet inside a single, living soul.  The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find -- unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it" (PoA)

In other words, a secret (eg, the location of a family in hiding, like the Potters) is enchanted so that it is protected by a single Keeper (in our example, Peter Pettigrew, aka Wormtail).  Thenceforth, nobody else -- not even the subjects of the secret themselves -- can divulge the secret.  Even if one of the Potters had been captured, force fed Veritaserum or placed under the Imperius Curse, they would not have been able to give away the whereabouts of the other two.  The only people who ever knew their precise location were those whom Wormtail had told directly, but none of them would have been able to pass on the information.
Who are you people, and where have you hidden my dignity?

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
YAY! More eggs!
« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2006, 11:10:25 PM »

SPOILERS on how to get the eggs.  Thanks to a comment on the Leaky Cauldron

1) Click on the hairbrush on the main page to get to the “Extra Stuff” section. Turn on the radio. Wait a few seconds until you get an announcement that tells you to use 6 drops of red potion followed by three drops of green potion to revive a particular type of plant. Go back to the main page and click on the eraser, which will take you to the mysterious door page, where the plant in question is located. Use the potion bottles next to the plant to revive it as the radio instruction had told you to do.

REWARD: Paper depicting a brainstorming session by JKR around the time of Prisoner of Azkaban, with information regarding teachers' names, occupations, gender, etc. along with experimental hippogriff names.

2) On the main page, click on the pencil sharpener to get to the "Rubbish Bin" area. Grab a hold of the coffee cup on the upper right part of the page, and move it, in a circular fashion, clockwise around 3-4 times. The coffee ground that had initially been scattered randomly on the surface should now be arranged in a circular fashion. Leaving the cup as it is, go back to the main page, and click on the hairbrush to get to the "Extra Stuff" section. Click on the small card at the bottom-middle part of the page that says "Circle" in red ink.

REWARD: The original synopsis of Philosopher’s Stone.

3) On the main page, click on the eyeglasses to get to the "Links" page. On the middle of the bottom shelf, find the maroon book titled "Ancient Runes Made Easy". Click on the book to open it. You should see number correspondances to symbolic images. Note these down. Next, go to back the main page and click on the pencil sharpener to get to the "Rubbish Bin" area, where you will see a number of runes scattered on the ground in a linear fashion. Match the runes with the numbers based on the information you had gathered from the library book. The runes, when translated, should correspond to “31071965” (which is, in fact Jo’s birthday, July 31 1965, and Harry's as well). Finally, go back to the main page, and type in these numbers to the telephone and press the green "Talk" button.

REWARD: Early draft of Philosopher’s Stone (around 1994).

4) On the main page, click on the eyeglasses to get to the "Links" section. Wait for 5 minutes without clicking on anything. Peeves will show up, blow out the candle, and knock the painting on the left side of the bookshelf down to reveal a piece of paper taped to the wall that has the shape of Harry's scar drawn on it. Next, get back to the main page, and click on the hairbrush to get to the “Extra Stuff” section. You should notice a piece of paper on the bottom-left part of the page that looks exactly like the one you had just discovered back on the living room, but without the scar drawn on it. Grab the blue pen attached to the bulletin board, and draw the scar exactly as it is.

REWARD: An early draft of one of Jo's book organization guides to the Order of the Phoenix.

4) Click on the pencil sharpener on the main page to get to the "Rubbish Bin" page. At the bottom of the page, you should see a bunch of words that need to be rearranged to make sense. Rearrange those by clicking and dragging them The right combination is "Here you get no ring within, Tap five times and I am in". Next, go back to the main page, and click on the large, black, paper organizing clip which will take you to the "Fan Sites" page. On that page, you should notice a small, red, ring box. As the instruction had told you, click on the box five times. It will open, revealing a sparkling blue bubble containing a blue question mark. Click on the question mark.

REWARD: Unfortunately, the same one as before ( early draft of Philosopher’s Stone and the information that Draco’s last name used to be “Spungen.”)

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2006, 08:36:02 AM »

20 points to Carolyn for the good info!
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »

IT'S OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:8521  for directions on how to get to the schtuff, which is confusing like heck.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2006, 01:56:20 PM »

And again, the door opens. This time it's a new W.O.M.B.A.T. test, slightly harder than the first.

For the figuring-things-out-for-yourself-impaired, instructions for getting to your test: (Highlight it to read)

Click the eraser on the main page to get to the door.
Click the door handle to open the door
Click the candle to light it
Click the red quill to dip it in ink
Click the WOMBAT paper on the left to shut the book
Click the four-leaf clover on the bottom left of the desk to turn it into a key
Click and drag the key to the drawer on the left to open it. The key needs to be positioned in exactly the center of the drawer, where a keyhole would be.
Click the hourglass (the round cork-looking thing) to begin your test!

Hopefully I didn't do too terribly. I got an E last time, but a lot of these sounded like you needed to have read "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them," which I haven't. ^^;;

Good luck on your tests!

Edit: Oh yeah, also, she updated the diary, the rumours, the fansite award, the news, and in the past few weeks she's updated some other stuff, too. So if you haven't been in a while, go check stuff out!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:14:24 AM by Cho Chung »

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2006, 12:05:03 AM »

Erm, Shelly?  I think you meant to hide and not highlight the instructions above. 

Heh.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2006, 12:13:47 AM »

Actually, I meant to make it spoiler-free, so those who wanted to figure it out for themselves could do so, and those who wanted to just find the test as quick as possible could simply highlight the instructions with their mouse to reveal them.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.  :-\

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 04, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »

No, I understand that.  My point is that your text above is not hidden, it's highlighted so everyone can see them LOUD AND CLEAR.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »

Well, that's weird, because on my computer it's yellow text with a yellow background and I can't read it at all. Feel free to edit it to make it more hidden, because I'm not quite sure how to fix the problem if I can't see it.  :-\

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »

That is weird.  On my computer, it shows up as bold black font with yellow glow around each letter.

I changed it to beige.  Does that work on your computer?

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »

Yeah, that works fine. Maybe something about different net browsers. (I'm using Firefox, BTW). Anywho, sorry if I spoiled it for anyone. :(

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »

Um, any thought as to why there's a still a Do Not Disturb on the door when I go to the site, and nothing I seem to click on does anything? 

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »

Because you're too late. The tests are already finished and graded. That's a bummer, Cho. I thought you'd already gone. :( The questions that were asked are posted on Mugglenet, if you're interested.

Anywho, I got an E again. Wonder what the last one will be like?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »

You should now be able to hide spoilers easily.

[spoiler]You should now be able to hide spoilers easily.[/spoiler]
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2006, 10:41:06 PM »

Nice feature, Ping!

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »

I've missed the tests. I think I flunk out of Hogwarts. Good thing I'm already in charge. ;)

One Ping Only

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »

Rumor has it the door is opened again. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

This may reveal the title for book seven, so be warned.

ETA: Directions under the cut for those, like me, who would never figure this out on their own:

[spoiler]  # Click on the doorway in the mirror, then a tree appears
  # click the middle of the main door and a Christmas wreath appears
  # click ion the mirror and garland appears
  # click on the little spider web on either side of doorway
  # click on the wind chimes and a key will appear
  # take the key over to the lock and walla! open the door.
  # A present is on the desk... click on it Out comes a Hang man game Play the game to get the title[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:56:44 AM by Ping »

One Ping Only
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up