Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Order of the Phoenix Movie  (Read 749 times)

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
Re: Order of the Phoenix Movie
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 07:56:19 PM »

George Harris, IMO, is waay to puny to play the powerful Kingsley Shacklebolt.

Here's Delores Umbridge.  I've met this woman a few times; she has horrid manners but I feel she could make a terrific villianess.

And here's Nymphadora Tonks (the one on the left, obviously):

I can't say anything bad or good about her.  I did fantastic renditions of this character in my bathtub on several occasions, but to no avail -- Hollywood has not called me back.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 11:12:08 PM »

Wait until HBP - a casting change may be in order.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »

No, wait until somebody pulls a Peter Jackson and redoes the whole thing years from now, the RIGHT way.

Now that will be something.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »

No, wait until somebody pulls a Peter Jackson and redoes the whole thing years from now, the RIGHT way.

Now that will be something.

Word. Just...word. *sad sigh*
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 07:49:04 PM »

This article, entitled "Rowling to kill two in final HP book" was just posted on Yahoo! - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/people_nm/arts_potter_plot_dc_3

The article focuses on the release date for OoP.  Who will the two unlucky souls be?????

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »

Looks like D.R. will be playing Harry in the remaining movies.  Here is a link to an article confirming his involvement:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:9581

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »

Anyone seen it yet?

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »

My first thoughts were....

Since when is Dudders cross-eyed?

Gee, the "Noble House of Black" has VERY small corridors....

Why the heck are Ron and Hermione dressed as the Bobbsey Twins?

Why did they not show the locket being found?  Isn't it likely that the locket in book 6 is the same or similar to the one found in book 5?

Why did they not have everyone's favorite poltergeist saluting the twins' departure?  (My favorite part of the book!)

No St. Mungo's???

What happened to the Brain Room?  And all the other rooms in the DoM?

Why didn't they make it clear that Trelawney is the one giving the Prophecy?  It explains why Dumbledore kept her on at Hogwarts for so long!

But all in all, it was the best movie of the lot so far.  They did very well on the Umbridge bit, esp. her office (I had nightmares about the kitties, no kidding), the Black Family Tree was done well, the Ministry was *outstanding*, the new way of doing "fireplace talks" was SO much classier than movie 4, and I'm glad they didn't have ALL OF HARRY'S LINES SCREAMED OUT LIKE THE BOOK SUGGESTS.  "Quietly furious" was a much better way to go.  Not to mention the Extending Ear scene with Crookshanks was hilarious.

I was disappointed with the Dept. of Mysteries, the flashback sequences, Tonks, Kingsley, and the lack of St. Mungo's.  Neville seeing his parents..... that could've been done so, so well.

I wish they would've WAITED UNTIL ALL SEVEN books were out before even making the first movie.  It would've solved a LOT of problems.

(P.S.  When Tonks with the pig nose showed up onscreen, my theater companion whispered, "Wow!  Paula Abdul is in this one?")
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:35:52 PM by Susan Bones »

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »

I just saw it last night. I did feel that the St. Mungo's departure took out what could have been some pretty intense emotional impact. Matthew Lewis seems to be maturing quite well as an actor, and it would have been nice to see.

My biggest HUH?? moment was Cho being the one to give up the DA. And Veratiserum? Um...no. Like, probably it works if you haven't read the book, but I was just giving it a big ole HUH??? Didn't help that the explanation felt VERY clunky when it finally came.

On the whole, I felt like this was a really good movie. It was probably one of the loosest adaptations, especially of the climactic scene. I was waiting for Dumbledore to do the "there are things worse than death" to Voldemort, but then, not doing that made it Harry's triumph, which I think is really cool. In some ways, I actually like it better than the book.

There were a few scenes that I wanted to see a bit more of, but were soooo fast I could hardly get an idea of what happened before it was gone. There were only a couple of shots/scenes that I felt could be shorter. (Yes, yes, riding broomsticks through London is cool, but ... *sigh*)

One thing that surprised me was that Regulus Black wasn't mentioned in relation to the Noble House of Black. If he is, indeed, RAB, that's going to take a quick visit from the exposition fairy come movie 7.

I LOVED Fred and George's send-off. So cool! And they were unexpectedly very attractive this movie.

Umbridge had me squirming in my chair. The cat plates on the wall made me nauseous! I was curled up in a ball going "EWEWEWEW!!!" as quietly as I could. *shudder* Hat's off to Imelda Stauton! That must have been a BLAST of a role to play. :)

The Occlumency lessons were weird. The way they set things up and what Snape saw, it really seems to set him up as more of a bad guy/spy type, because he saw what Voldemort used to get at Harry. I'm not sure if this is just an unexpected side-effect of the shortened nature of things or what, but I was a bit surprised.

Luna was awesome, despite the somewhat-thin and wavering accent.

As someone else said, Ron and Hermione were pretty sparsely in this movie. (There's not a lot of it to be in, really.) I think a lot of that, though, was just the nature of Harry cutting himself off from people. There wasn't much they were doing in the book related to him, so I can accept that there's not much for them to be doing in the movie. Hermoine seemed a bit over-anxious the whole movie, though.

I love Hagrid.

The scene with Trelawny being kicked out was very touching. I wanted to give her a big hug.

I don't actually hate this Dumbledore, which a friend of mine does. I understand why they've curtailed him a bit. (Though the fight with Voldie was awesome.) But I think they could have done a bit more with him than they did.

It's been so long since I read the book, so maybe it was this way, but Lucius as the spokesperson for Voldemort was a beautiful choice. Jason Isaacs does a great job with his lines.

I do agree, in general, Susan, that they would be better movies if they'd waited for the books to be done, but I can also understand the need to strike while the iron is hot. I'm just hoping that, maybe in another 20 years or so, someone else will go through and re-make them better. :D

Still, though, I think this was one of my favorites.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »

I saw it both in IMAX and in a regular theater.  I almost got sick watching it in IMAX - the shots were much better in a traditional model. 

Overall, I concur with Ping's sentiment.  What is missing could be very telling in light of the fact that JKR told the director to put Kreacher in the movie after seeing he had not been included.  However, my attention has now moved a slightly more important event in just over 24 hours . . .

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

Ah, I remember reading that one character was put in, but I didn't remember who.  Hrm.

Am I the only one who was thinking "My preciousssss" whenever Kreacher talked?

One Ping Only

Penelope Clearwater

• First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »

Haven't come in here in ages :) How's everyone? Very excited about the release of Book 7 I bet. Too bad my pre-ordered book from Amazon won't reach me till mid August. No book stores in where I stay are selling the book. The only one that may have the book will only get the shipment after July 21. SIGH!

Anyway, I just want to say that I loved OotP movie so much! Best HP movie ever! Loved every minute of it. I felt like crying at every scene..so embarrassing! I did wish they included St. Mungo's in the movie though. Would've been awesome to see what a wizard hospital is like. I loved the MoM scenes...exactly the way I pictured the MoM to be. I was disappointed that they didn't show the Brain Room etc in the Department of Mysteries but at least the fight scenes were good. Loved the special effects with the black shadows being the Death Eaters while the white represented the good guys from the OotP. Oh ya, I was disappointed that they didn't show Mrs Black's screaming portrait in the Black house. The family tree was really nicely done though.

I thought Daniel Radcliff acted really well in this movie. He really showed how angsty Harry was in Book 6. In fact, most actors and actresses really played their part well. The Umbridge woman was every bit I imagined her to be. Same goes for Bellatrix Lestrange.

So ya, this is my favourite HP so far. In fact, I would say it's the only HP movie I like so far :)

Susan Bones

• Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »

Also, WHERE oh WHERE was Mrs. Black????? [EDIT:  Sorry, Pen, I just noticed that you had said the exact same thing in your post above mine.  You get credit for thinking of it first.]

I was so looking forward to seeing her screaming at the Order.  No house-elves on the wall, either, I notice.

I'll say it again.  I WISH they had waited until all 7 books were out before making even the first movie.  You can't cut out unimportant stuff when you don't know what's going to be important.

Yeah, sure, go ahead and cut out where the kids are cleaning up Grimmauld Place.... now how are you going to play the scene where Harry remembers seeing the locket...... really gonna mess up movie 7, won't it?

Idiots.   :P

BTW, Penny, I also pre-ordered a book yet still stood in line to get one.  Overkill, perhaps .... ?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:16:03 AM by Susan Bones »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up