Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre theories  (Read 365 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Bizarre theories
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »

I think it's probably that JKR's just-posted interview shoots this down, but it made me laugh. Have you seen other theories that seem bizarre but that you want to talk about anyway? :)

Just remember that JKR doesn't throw stuff out and not make something of
it later.  So here's my take on book 6 which we'll all have to wait
about 2 years to see if I properly interpreted the clues -- I think
Snape told Dumbledore the whole plan of what Voldemort planned Draco to
do.....What can Snape do? --brew a potion that can put a stopper in
death....Dumbledore can do many things as he is one of the greatest
wizards of the time & he defeated the bad wizard Grindelwald.  He can do
spells wo/wands & he knows more about magic & the ancient magic than
anybody else......Plus he was pretty spry when he disarmed Harry - not
really all that feeble...

I think he faked his own death w/the aid of Snape & he had to immobilize
Harry to keep him from interfering with "the plan" -- maybe that's why
Dumbledore is sleeping in his portrait in his "old" office & not
awake.....At the funeral his body was shrouded & then went up in flames
to become a tomb....hmmmmmmmmm....so maybe he isn't really gone....But
they needed it to look real to the outside world -- so that the folks
who were closest to Dumbledore would show real sorrow & loss.  That way
anyone using legilimens on them would know/believe that Dumbledore was
truly gone....This way Dumbledore could continue to look for the
horcruxs without anyone wondering where he was going....Maybe we'll get
to see more of Aberforth....

Well that's what I was thinking....

Stacy
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re: Bizarre theories
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 05:45:30 AM »

Personally, I think that theory is highly unlikely, but you're right, I want to talk about it anyways!  ;D

I've been hearing a few seperate theories about how Dumbledore could possibly be alive, most of them along the lines of "That wasn't really Dumbledore! That was somebody else who had taken Polyjuice Potion!" or "He'll come back even stronger that before, just like Obi-Wan and Gandalf did!" but I really don't think any of them have any merit. I think people are coming up with these theories as a form of wish-fulfillment--nobody wants Dumbledore to be dead, so people will try to make themselves think anything that will make it untrue. People did the same thing for Sirius.

But back to this theory. Where to start? I doubt anyone, not even Snape, can brew a potion that will prevent someone from dying when they take a killing curse right to the chest. Just because he could disarm and immobilize Harry doesn't mean he wasn't weak--doesn't exactly take a lot of magical eptitude when most second years can do it, right?

Why would Dumbledore have a portrait at all in the Headmaster's office unless he was dead? I doubt the fact that he's sleeping is significant at all.

Aberforth, though, is worth discussing in greater detail. I don't think anyone can possibly deny any more that Dumbledore's brother is the barman at the Hog's Head, and if that's the case, then we've already seen quite a bit of him, with an upshot of appearances in HBP. Perhaps this merits its own thread, but I, too, think that Aberforth will hold some significance.

Although I'm sure that, in time, I'm going to come up with my own bizarre theories to add to this list. I've gotta fight to keep my t-shirt holding rights!  :roll:
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

willow

• Hufflepuff
  • Second-year Student
  • look into my eyes, you will do my bidding now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:24:54 AM »

Well snape did say he could brew potions to put a stopper on death but I just think this is seriously wistful thinking with a few loose facts tied in, harrys going to have to lose people, i feel it would be rather a cheap ending if dumbledore did come back, it just wouldnt work.
High ho! High ho! Off to boarding school I go.... The joys of life. Woopee.

juwannajedi

• Hufflepuff Prefect and Head of the Magical Desserts Division
  • Administrator
  • Sixth-year
  • I'm back. Did you miss me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

We saw Aberforth?!?  I *so* don't remember, and I've loaned out my book with 3 people in line for it after....

Argh!!!
Think Hufflepuffian thoughts!

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:48:21 AM »

Well, I should have said, we seemed to see the barman of the Hog's Head a lot, but personally, I am positive that the barman and Aberforth are one and the same. This seemed to be confirmed in the Mugglenet interview, as well, IIRC.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 10:50:16 AM »

I was keeping half an eye out for him and don't remember him actually being mentioned specifically, but Dumbledore's "people in bar" jokes does seem to solidify it.

One Ping Only

Carolyn

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 11:32:01 AM »

I don't think Dumbledore coming back is all that bizzare! I doubt it was through something like polyjuice, but c'mon. I think JK spent a little too much time at the movies when she was supposed to be writing.
1. The Spiderman thingy with Ginny and Harry?
2. The coffin catching on fire was straight out of X-Men to me. (Jean Grey's coffin catches on fire, she comes back as the Phoenix.) I'm not saying that Dumbledore's phoenix was his horcrux or anything horrifying like that, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for JK Rowling to spontaneously come out with something new to explain his brief return.  (We'd never heard of a horcrux before this book.)
But JK's right, according to the prevailing literary theory from Joseph Campbell, all heroes must go on alone.  I just think at the end of the tunnel, Harry will see Dumbledore again, or receive a critical piece o the puzzle from him. 
Who are you people, and where have you hidden my dignity?

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »

CAROLYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (E-mail me if you get a chance - we need to catch up!)

Campbell's theory on heros is really good for this series.  However, this would leave for the last book the temptation of the hero.  So far, Harry has resisted the call of fame and fortune.  What will be the temptation with which Harry, our hero, will have to grapple in order to find the strength to battle Voldy?
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 10:40:27 PM »

I heard a Bizarre theory which I would like to throw out - Snape's paternal family (the muggle side) was related to the Evans family.  Thoughts?

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

I have another bizzarre theory to throw out for discussion - is it possible that the task assigned to Draco did not have Dumbledore as the object, but rather, Professor Trelawney so that YKW could get the prophecy lost in the MoM straight from the horse's mouth?  Draco's father was supposed to get the prophecy from the MoM and failed; it would make sense that the task then fell upon the shoulders of his son.  I just can't imagine YKW, who fears Dumbledore, would assign Draco to kidnap or kill DD.  There is no way that YKW would believe Draco could pull it off; YKW's arrogance would preclude him from giving that assignment to Draco.  Now that I have plead my case, what do you think?

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »

I dunno. That's a tough call. LV has tried several times (at least we can assume so) to kill Dumbledore, and none of those times did he succeed. Seems like delegation is the answer, and who better than one of the students who already has shown a willingness to get into trouble? Using a kid to strike at Dumbledore might appeal to LV's sense of amusement, since it would be hitting Dumbledore close to home, getting somebody he knows and trusts to turn on him.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 03:14:37 PM »

How about this for a better theory:  he gave the task to Draco knowing that he would probably fail and that Snape would have to come in and rescue him.  Maybe LV set the whole thing up:  delegating to Draco, sending Narcissa to Snape to plead Draco's cause, getting Snape to make the Unbreakable Vow, etc.  Could it have been a way for him to "test" Snape?  Perhaps in the face of criticism from other corners about Snape's loyalty?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 11:48:05 PM »

Hmm, there's a thought. Setting someone up for failure does seem a gairly evil-over-lordish thing to do.

Oh, next crazy theory is that Dumbledore is Snape. Time travel is somehow involved in this theory. I don't particularly believe it, but Snapeldore is an amusing word. :)

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »

Sounds like a new ice cream flavor :)

That is an interesting theory, but isn't Snape an only child, and Dumbledore has a brother?
I may be mistaken.  However, I do like the idea.  I think you are right that time travel will play into the final book.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:01:47 PM »

I dunno, I would rather time travel isn't involved. I mean, I guess it could be, if we're going to see what happened at Godric's Hollow, but ... it seems so pat. And the paradoxes always drive me crazy.

One Ping Only

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 06:38:42 PM »

Maybe Snape, Aberforth, and Albus are all Dumbledores from previous time periods, all coming together for one brief moment so that they can overcome some evil snippity paradoxical villian with chronic halitosis?

Oh noes!  The Dumbledores are coming out of the woodwork!  They're EVERYWHERE!

I ... SEE ... DUMBLEDORES!

Sorry.  I couldn't see a topic like this and resist.

I like what somebody else mentioned in another thread; that Harry and LV would be the "two funerals" that JKR mentioned in one of her interviews.  I mean, I would hate it, but it would be awesome.

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Susan Bones

• Special Reporter For The Wizengamot
  • Slytherin
  • Seventh-year
  • Love few. Hate many. Stack the rest in the cellar.
    • View Profile
    • Look for Susan Bones as meepmeep on IrCQ Chat:  Trivia!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00:46 PM »

If you want some REALLY bizarre theories, you should take a look at this FARK thread:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2803013

Me likey the FARK!  All hail the mighty FARK!  FARKettes are a dying breed; support us!

Special Reporter for the Wizengamot

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »

Okay, so maybe bizarre, but I just woke up, so factor that in. :)

Snape told Voldy where the Potters were because he wanted Voldy to kill James and the baby so he could make a move on Lily. Voldy kills her anyway, Snape realizes he's a jerk and confesses all to Big D and promises to be good. Harry is a reminder that he got the woman he loved killed, so he doesn't like the kid, but is projecting his anger onto James, who wouldn't have gotten them all into this situation if he'd just backed off and let Snape marry Lily...

Maybe? Something like that? Who knows. :)

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »

You know, that's actually quite plausible. It would tie together a lot of loose ends in a nice tidy package. Why Snape changed sides back then, why LV didn't want to kill Lily, and more on why Snape is such a buttface to Harry. I like it. A-Plus-Star.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 07:26:50 AM »

That was kind of the feeling I got when I came up with it. I think I'll almost be unhappy if that's not the way it goes, 'cause it's so tidy. And it might allow book 7 to not need to be about 3000 pages long to satisfy me. :)

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »

Me likey the FARK!  All hail the mighty FARK!  FARKettes are a dying breed; support us!
Me too - total Farker here.  And if I didn't mention it, Duke (well, you know)

I think Lupin will play a bigger role in this novel.  I think this is the one where we will see a lot of the uglier parts of the magical world (i.e the underground werewolves that Lupin was tin inflitrate, vampires, etc.).  I wonder if after seeing that part of the world, Harry may not choose to return to the "real world" where we live.  That could be a way of ending the series effectively without killing Harry. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up