Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)  (Read 716 times)

stormymind

Re:Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2004, 04:56:27 AM »

No, you haven't you have many students eagerly reading your story, its really interesting. I think I'm getting addicted...  :)

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2004, 03:06:11 PM »

Oh dear. Last time I had addicts, they tried to kill me. *cough* Ping *cough*

Anyway, since you so insist, here's a long bit to make up for a month of inactivity.

Tia concentrated on the over-stuffed chair in front of her. She raised her wand. The chair undulated and slowly became a deer, caught in the act of fleeing a hunter. It rippled again and returned to being a chair.
   “Very good.” McGonagall said behind her. “Now try something larger than the original chair’s mass.”
   Tia nodded and focused. The chair tilted a little to one side, and became a horse.
   “Good. Now something smaller.”
   This time the char flickered into it’s new form, a rabbit, instead of changing smoothly. Tia blinked, and the rabbit took the second to bolt. Tia spun to follow it and suddenly it popped back into chair-shape, flickered again, and exploded, throwing splinters everywhere. “Impenetrare." McGonagall said, and the wood chips bounced harmlessly off her shield. Tia sat down, hard.
   “Sorry, Professor,” she said, rubbing her forehead with one hand. “It, ah, escaped me.”
   McGonagall didn’t laugh this time. “That,” she said. “Was quite the throw-back. You were doing well, what happened?”
   Tia shrugged. Instead of giving her the usual speech on always knowing what went wrong, McGonagall only leaned forward and squinted through her glasses. “Hmmm.” Finally, she stepped back. “How much sleep have you been getting lately?”
   Tia dropped her hand. “That’s what my mom always asks,” she said, which wasn’t an answer.
   “Your mother has her head screwed on straight then.” McGonagall sighed. “I take it that means ‘not much’.” She tapped the table in front of Tia. “You’re overdoing it.”
   “What?” Tia almost panicked. Did the teacher know something?
   “I don’t know what you’ve been doing, but you’re overdoing it.” The professor continued easily. “Go back to your dorm and get some sleep. I can’t, in reasonable conscience, tutor a student who’s going to stumble over every third word from exhaustion.”
   Tia gathered her things and turned to go. Behind her, McGonagall cleared her throat. “See you in a few days.” Tia nodded, and shut the door behind her.
   Deciding it that if McGonagall had told her to rest, she could use it as an excuse not to go to her next class, Tia wandered outside instead. She should, she knew, sleep. She was dead tired. But that would involve going either to her dorm, or to Madame Pomfrey, neither of which was attractive. Since the Quidditch show-down with Camden, he’d been strangely quiet, and it bothered her. More people in the House had started talking to her again, as Julie and Metro spread the story of her ‘victory’ on the pitch. The next few practice sessions had gone fine, with Camden and Robert ignoring her instead of actively pitching things at her. There was no doubt about it, Camden was planning something.
   Walking slowly across the lawn, she tried to make sense of it all. Why was he coming after her like this? Granted, she’d told Kerry it was because he was evil and wanted her out of the way, but she had trouble actually believing that. Camden couldn’t possibly be scared of her. What had she done lately to make it so? Nothing. A lot of nothing and it was getting really hard to keep on doing nothing, when nothing seemed to be causing more trouble than something.
   She couldn’t shake the feeling that everyone was waiting for her to do just that something. Something specific that they all knew about and she didn’t. Camden. Kerry. McGonagall. Scott and the Quidditch team. She stopped by the edge of the lake and stared at the water for a while before walking slowly along the bank. Tia really hated not having a clue. Oh well, Kerry would know to meet her out here when she didn’t show up in class. She’d have to ask him straight out what he wanted from her.
   Tia sat on the semi-sandy bank of the lake. Far out in the water, a series of ripples expanded as several tentacles broke the water. They were framed by the setting sun for a moment, then resubmerged. Tia might have found it funny, if she hadn’t been thinking about other things. Like how to practice summoning dinosaurs without McGonagall knowing. Or how to enchant the banners in the main hall so that the snake ate the badger, and possibly the lion. Or even how to find out where Harry Potter lived so she could send him fan mail. Or a live centipede. Or something.
   In other words, about anything other than Camden’s silence. Tia looked over her shoulder again. Where had Kerry gotten to? He’d usually show up about now. She sighed and pitched a few pebbles at the water, thinking about her waste of a day. Earlier she’d wandered around outside for a while, thinking. Then she’d spent some time in the library, thinking. Then she’d gone to Care of Magical Creatures and spent more time thinking. Then got told off by McGonagall and ending up thinking harder. Then she’d come back out here and spent even more time thinking. The end result of all this thinking was that she was tired of running around thinking, and still had no answers.
   The sound of footsteps on gravel came from off to one side. Tia figured she probably didn’t have enough luck saved up for it to be Kerry. She gave a quick look along the lake shore. There was no one around. Of course there was no one around. She decided to stay seated, though what advantage this gave her she didn’t know. The footsteps stopped behind her. “Fancy meeting you here, Barlow,” she said. Might as well get the jump on him.
   “Meeting? I’ve been looking for you. All over.” Camden walked around in front of her. He smiled. “You’ve been pretty hard to get a hold of lately. Developed a sudden affinity for teachers, it seems.”
   “Better than that affinity for Hufflepuffs,” said Leslie, leaning over next to her.
   “Strange that Leslie has such a loathing for Hufflepuffs, eh Barlow? I guess she’s had some bad experiences with them in the past.” Tia speculated, still not turning. She focused her gaze out at the lake. “Perhaps she lost a duel? Oh! It must be that little Hufflepuff first year, Patty Kipper. That would seem about the right level.”
   Tia could almost feel Leslie’s gaze smoldering. “You’re digging your own grave, Tiamat Raven,” she threatened.
   “Mind I don’t hit you with the shovel.”
   Camden started laughing again, and Tia’s train of thought immediately derailed at the sound. “Still at it,” he said ruefully. “I see there’s no point in trying to reason with you.”
   “Reason? I haven’t heard anything of the sort. Which part of all this, pray tell, was reasonable?” She realized she sounded slightly hysterical and bit off her words before it could go any further.
   Camden ticked the points off on his fingers. “The part where I tell you I’ve had enough of this. The part where I tell you we don’t appreciate your kind in Slytherin. The part where I tell you stay out of my way.”
   Well, that sounded reasonable enough. Tia put some force behind her voice. “Who do you think you are, anyway?”
   “I’ve been told someone died and made me Voldemort,” he said facetiously. “Who do you think you are?”
   Small waves broke on the pebbles. A bird flew over head, whistling, and faded into the distance.
   “I don’t think you care.” Tia said finally.
   “You’re right. I don’t.”
   Tia sighed and stood up. Looking around she found Camden, Leslie, and Robert; along with two guys she recognized as sixth years and nothing else. His butterfly collection? Her head was pounding like an alarm bell in a broomstick raid. The light from the sunset reflected off the lake behind her and fell on Camden’s glasses, flickering in time with the internal gong. “I’m flattered, Barlow. Really. Five?”
   “Just playing it safe.”
   “What do you expect me to do?”
   “If you’re smart, nothing.”
   That was a good line, Tia thought, despite it all. Why didn’t she ever think of lines like that? “And what good did nothing ever do?” She avoided reaching for her wand, putting off the inevitable.
   Camden smiled. “Not much, but perhaps I should tell you that all the teachers in the school are currently in a meeting.”
   “So?” Tia deliberately refused to understand.
   “Top secret. They’ve got the place warded, guarded, and blocked. Wonder what they’re talking about?” He pretended to think for a while. “Well, it doesn’t matter. We’d never be able to hear with all those spells up.” He looked at her and smiled again.
   “And?”
   “You know, for some reason I had the impression you were smarter than this, Raven. We can’t hear them. And they can’t hear us. They’ve isolated themselves so well that they wouldn’t notice if the potions lab exploded again. Must be some meeting.” He shook his head thoughtfully. Tia wasn’t fooled. She knew he didn’t care one bit what the teachers were talking about, but she also knew he wasn’t lying. Even Camden wouldn’t risk a venture like this if he thought Dumbledore might show up any minute.
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2004, 03:10:56 PM »

“Liar.” Tia said softly, getting up. Someone had to have seen that, felt that, sensed that, she thought desperately. Granted, they were nearly on the far side of the lake. The towers of the school seemed far away. But someone had to have seen.
   “Perhaps. You must admit, though, it makes it a little less fair.”
   She was about to tell him exactly what she thought of the odds as they were, but she was prevented by a voice from the side.
   “Acus imber.” Tia spun towards the sound, and what felt like a thousand needles hit her from all sides. She gasped, felt her legs go out, and hit the ground again. Somewhere above her, she heard Leslie congratulating the caster. She shifted, cringed,  waited for the spell to fade and tried again. The first thing she saw getting up was Camden’s face.
   “That was…” she said, and it came out as a nearly inaudible whisper.
   “I told you,” Camden whispered back. “You wouldn’t believe me. All your talk about dark wizards and what you’ve seen and heard, and you couldn’t believe someone else actually knew.
   Tia shook her head, half denial, half trying to clear it. She could only think one thought. Why? Camden wasn’t going to give her a chance to fight. He didn’t come out here for a duel, he came for…and no one was coming. No one would come. She was alone again. Beside her, Leslie started to murmur something to the others. Tia didn’t wait to hear. Something snapped somewhere far away, flared and rushed in her head.
   “Enough!” she yelled, and brought her wand around fast. “I’ll tell you what I know!” The power flared brighter. It waited to take form. A black spot grew in her mind to match it, waiting to be filled. The spell waited, tried to get said. Die. The black spot said. Kill him. “No,” she said, and hoped Camden couldn’t hear. It’ll be better for everyone in the end. You know that, now. He knows too much, too young. Think of it as natural selection. “I said, no.” Tia tried a little louder. In front of her, Camden looked confused for the barest moment. Your…loss…maybe. The black spot withered, disappeared, but something else shot up out of her memory and took its place before she could think. The power raced into her hands, out through her wand.
   “Annihilandus!” she shouted. Beams of light rained down from the sky. Gravel sprayed up from the ground, and Tia heard rather than saw the people around her fly backwards. Her eyes widened, she tried to stop the spell, and then something hit her just under the ribcage. She gasped, lost her air, and the spell shattered, dissipating. She stumbled forward.
   Camden appeared behind her. “That was good. I’ll admit it. But not good enough.” Trying to avoid him, Tia dodged sideways, straight into Robert, who’d been doing nothing up to that point, so far as she could tell. He caught her arm and pinned it to the small of her back. Then he caught her other arm and twisted. Her wand fell to the ground, and Tia dropped after it as Robert let go. He aimed a kick at her stomach, but she rolled and took it in her side, which wasn’t much better. She started to stand again, and the boy in front of her aimed his wand. She flung herself back down, but the spell bore followed her anyway. The needles returned and her mind screamed as she bit her tongue to keep from doing the same. As she fought to keep focused on the world, she found herself looking at Camden, who was sitting nearby with his chin in one hand as if watching a particularly intriguing play.
   “Perhaps I’m not quite Voldemort yet,” he sighed. “But this is good practice, don’t you think?”
   “Sure, if you’re practicing to be a cave troll.” Tia spat out.   
   Camden sighed again and stood. “Shouldn’t have said that,” he said, in what was probably the only straight statement she had heard pass his lips the whole time. He leveled his wand at her. Tia decided she didn’t want to find out what kind of magic he was going to ‘practice’ now, but there wasn’t much she saw herself doing about it. She curled up on the lake shore and tried to forget they existed. She was tired of running, tired of fighting, tired of thinking, tired of trying to win out against that demon-spawned thing in glasses. She figured it would be easier to give up now and just live with it, than to keep trying and die with it.
   “Tia!” An angry shout cut through her self-indulgently terminal line of thought. She looked up, eyes widening as Kerry came racing across the field towards them. Against all reason, he pushed one of the sixth years out of the way and knelt next to her. Only then did he bother to look around and take in the situation. His eyes focused straight on Camden, who was smiling even broader at this turn of events.
   “Well, well…” he started.
   “Go away,” Kerry interrupted. A couple of startled expressions crossed the faces of those around him, including Tia’s. “I’m warning you.”
   “You’re kidding right?” Camden shook his head in mock sadness.
   “Oh, not me,” said Kerry. “I’m not stupid. Hagrid, however…”
   “Hagrid?” Robert looked around suspiciously.
   “Tia and I were going to help him examine the squid in the lake as a project for Care of Magical Creatures. It’s very active at this time of evening, so…he should be here any minute.”
   A couple of them shifted uneasily. Camden’s smile faded. “I think you’re lying, but…” he shrugged. “It doesn’t matter, eh Raven?” His smile returned long enough to positively beam at her. Then he turned and walked nonchalantly back towards the school. The others followed. Tia groaned, rolled over, and sat up, rubbing her shoulder.
   “Hagrid?” she said, incredulously. “Squid?
   Kerry pulled his wand out from behind his back and shoved it through his belt. “It worked, didn’t it? I didn’t really like the other option. Are you okay?”
   “Where in the world did you come up with…”
   “Oh no you don’t. You’re not changing the subject this time. What exactly was going on out here?”
   Tia stopped mid-sentence. “That better have been a rhetorical question.”
   “Partially.”
   She smiled and started to say something else meaningless, the stopped. For once, Kerry probably deserved a straight explanation. “I’ve decided to let Camden win,” she said simply.
   “When did you decide this?”
   “About two minutes ago.”
   “Why?
   “What do you mean, why?”
   “I mean, why let it get this far if you’re just going to give up now?”
   “I didn’t plan it this way! He…he wasn’t lying. He knows dark magic. Some things any way, and so do some of the others…and I…” No, she wasn’t going to tell Kerry about that. She switched quickly. “What did you expect me to do? Walk up to Camden and say, ‘Okay, you win, go ahead and practice your evil leadership skills on the impressionable members of this House and while you’re at it, don’t worry, I won’t be thinking of some way to stop you, no not at all’? You think that would work? Camden’s the type who needs to know he’s won. He wants a victory, not a surrender.”
   “So, you thought letting him beat you up would be the best solution?” Kerry almost shrieked at her.
   “Oh of course, that’s exactly what I thought!” Tia picked up a fist-sized rock and threw it at the lake. A tentacle reached out and snatched out of mid-air, dragging it under. A minute later it came flying back, followed by some watery grumbling noises. It hit the ground next to Tia with a thud, spraying gravel. She looked at it, distracted. Next to her, Kerry controlled his breathing. He was angry, she realized, and she couldn’t figure out why.
   “All right,” he said suddenly. “So you let Camden think he’s won, meanwhile you find some way to stop him permanently when he doesn’t expect it?” He looked at her hopefully.
   Something went dead in Tia’s mind. It was a tired feeling, like after a long day spent swimming. She stood up. A jolt of pain ran up her side and mingled with the continued pounding in her head. She tried to shake it away. “Sure, Kerry. You go ahead and think that. It’s nice of you.” As she started walking, the world tilted dangerously underneath her and she broke into a run in a desperate attempt to make the doorway.

stormymind

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 09:30:50 AM »

Ooooooooooooh! Interesting, very interesting. Thank goodness Kerry showed up!  :)

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »

Onward...well not really, it's pretty much the same place, but mentally onward... *snicker*

Tia spent the night in the infirmary, though how she ended up there was rather blurred. She was pretty sure she’d made it on her own, however, and was glad of it, at least because it cut down on the number of witnesses. Madame Pomfrey never asked pointed questions. She seemed to care only for the welfare of her patients and not for whatever accident or intrigue brought them there. Tia rolled over and opened her eyes, only to find Dumbledore staring at her. She almost fell out of the bed.
   “Hello,” said the headmaster.
   Tia tried to find something to interpret in that, and failed. Did he know? Did he care? Or not? Was he going to yell at her, or even expel her? And if he did, would Camden at least go too? She gave up and decided to play it like nothing had happened.
   “This scene looks familiar,” she said.
   Dumbledore looked around the room. “Yes, it does doesn’t it? I was just stopping by to talk to Madame Pomfrey this time, however, and just happened to find you here. Isn’t that interesting?” he smiled at her. “It seems students were busy while we teachers had our little meeting. Care to tell me what happened?”
   “You tell me what was in that meeting that was so important that you ignored everything else for several hours, and I’ll tell you what happened.” Tia countered, self-preservation instinct shot to none, for some reason.
   Dumbledore shrugged. “Reasonable enough, but I must decline.” He stood up. “I must be going, lots to do,” and he left. Tia gaped at the door until his footsteps faded. Then she leapt out of the bed and ran. She left the infirmary, sped down the hall and out a side door, then ran until she ran out of breath and had to stop. She realized she was approaching the road to Hogsmeade. Then she realized she was being stupid. What was she running from? Camden? Dumbledore? The school? Stupid. Not to mention useless. Or herself? Also pretty useless. She turned around and walked slowly back.

The next few days were almost full of more tension than before. Tia waited for one of the teachers to say something, to yell at her, give her detention, something, but they didn’t. She came to class late and left before the room cleared, and spent the rest of her time in deserted rooms. Mostly she waited. Nothing happened. After a few days of it she felt a little more like herself again, but only a little. Something was gone.
   Camden was still around, but he ignored her. So did everyone else. Tia ignored them back. She began to sleep again, with complete indifference to what might happen while she did so.
   And then, as she finally began to settle into this schedule, someone interrupted it.
   “You haven’t been at practice lately…the final game’s not too far away, and everyone’s losing spirit again…”
   Complete and utter exasperation overtook her apathy. “Get someone else already, Scott! I’m not coming back.” And it wouldn’t help your team to have me around anymore either, whether you realize it or not.
   “Come on, Tia, don't be so selfish!”
   “Selfish? I’m an outcast from my own House, I think the teachers have something on me that they won’t do anything about, I’m about to have a nervous breakdown except there’s no nerves left to break, evil magic spells keep trying to get themselves said in my brain…and I'm being selfish because I won't play Quidditch with you? Tch.” Tia stopped to breathe.
   “Um…really?” Scott looked surprised.
   “Yes, Scott.” She knew he didn’t believe her. “Really. Truly. Absolutely. And the real, true, absolute answer is no. I’m not going back on that field. Now go away.”
   “But, look…”
   Tia sighed and kept walking. Eventually Scott’s protests stammered to a halt, and he stopped following her. She shook her head. Why didn’t anyone but her seem to realize it was over?
   “Not going to play Quidditch anymore?” A familiar voice said behind her. “But it’s really the pride of this school.”
   Tia turned and stammered. “H-headmaster!”
   “I didn’t think there was anyone who disliked the game, really, its so…harmless.” Dumbledore looked genuinely confused. Tia couldn’t figure him out. How could he be the same teacher who had told her, straight-faced, that Voldemort was probably coming back, not three months ago?
   “Harmless?” Tia repeated. “Sir, people get injured all the time in that game.”
   “Do they? I must be missing the news.” He looked at her, and for a moment the confused look dropped. Here it comes, she thought.  He’s going to say something. She would have broken out in a cold sweat if she’d cared enough.
   But Dumbledore didn’t say any of what she expected. “Someone’s looking for you. Your Hufflepuff friend. Kerry. You ought to talk to him, he’s going to go crazy.” The confused look returned again, and he looked out the window. “Beautiful time for Quidditch. You really should play. I think it would help,” he finished, and wandered off down the hall again. Tia gaped after him.
   “What?" She said finally. “Why doesn’t anyone make sense around here?”

Five minutes later, Kerry found her. He stopped in surprise as he saw her still standing in the middle of the hall. “Of all the stupid coincidences…do you know how long I’ve been looking for you?”
   “Ah…” Tia started.
   “Don’t say it. I know you’ve been avoiding me. Forget it. We’re going to talk.”
   “But I…”
   “I wasn’t asking a question. Come on.” Kerry spun on his heel and headed for the nearest exit. Tia followed, a bit stunned.
   They ended up on the Quidditch field, which wasn’t really surprising. Brightly colored banners flickered easily in the breeze, set up to inspire school spirit for the game only a few days away.
   “So. What did you want to talk about?”
   “Same old same old,” said Kerry unhelpfully.
   “If it’s about Camden I don’t want to talk about it.”
   “Oh. Well then.” He stared blankly at the tiers in front of him. After a while it got uncomfortable, not to mention boring. Finally Tia had to break the silence.
   “I mean, what’s left to talk about? It’s all over with. I told you that before.”
   “I don’t know. A de-briefing maybe. Analysis of strategy, identification of errors. Plans for next time.”
   “What?”
   “Heh. Never mind.”
   “Kerry, what are you trying to get around to? Just say it straight for once.”
   “Fine. Do you have any idea what you’re doing?
   Tia sat back abruptly. “What?”
   Kerry continued, snapping off his words. “Camden started playing dirty so you tried to do the same back. Fire with fire. It just doesn’t work.”
   “Um, I always play dirty. It never bothered you before.”
   “Not like that. Copying a few answers on a test, sneaking into the potions lab at night, putting a trip wire in Snape’s doorway…”
   “You knew about that?”
   “Don’t change the subject. My point is, that’s harmless. No one was going to get hurt. Seriously anyway…oh, forget it, you know what I mean!” Kerry sounded truly frustrated. “But this time…Tia, do you even know what you cast back there? By the lake?”
   So he’d seen. Tia felt sick, unable to think of anything to say about it. “Well yes, obviously.”
   “Where did you learn it?”
   Tia shifted uncomfortably. Kerry always did this. He liked to lead up to things with slightly unrelated questions that ended up forcing her into admitting something she didn’t want to. Where had she learned that spell? “I think…it had to have been my mother, you know, she’s always telling me things, for self-defense and…”
   “Think harder.” Kerry hissed. Tia’s eyes widened, staring at him, and then it clicked. Camden’s face in the dying light, his eyes reminding her subtly of something, no someone, else.
   And another time, a long time before Harry Potter had miraculously ended Voldemort’s reign of terror. When the enemies of Deatheaters had to keep a constant watch, and the families of said Deatheaters had it even worse…two families meeting in the Raven house, ostensibly a dinner party, but really a planning meeting. Kerry’s parents and Tia’s mother, sitting in the dining room while the children supposedly played in the kitchen, but mostly just sat and listened.
   Then the door had shattered as her father entered, speaking in that cold tone he did so well. An ultimatum, most likely, though Tia couldn’t remember. There had been quite a few, and all got the same reaction. Magic had flown briefly, and the children had run out to see…and Kerry had provided a convenient hostage when the dark wizard found himself outnumbered. Holding the struggling eight year old, Tia’ father had aimed his wand at the rest of the room…
   “Annihilandus,” said the Seth Raven of memory, and the room exploded.
   Tia realized her fingers were clenched so tightly her shoulders were shaking. “Kerry…” she whispered, eyes wide. “That was when…” He nodded.
   Tia swallowed. “I don’t remember what happened, why did I remember the spell but not…”
   “You were unconscious. One of the chairs hit you, I think. Believe me, I don’t remember it too well myself, but I remember better than I want to…” He tore up another handful of grass and began shredding it. “Your mother deflected some of it, and everything was kind of confusing after that. I remember pain, and something pulling on me; my father, I think, trying to stop him and then I fell. He was distracted, your mother was screaming something, and then they both disappeared…I don’t know where…but that’s not the point!” He threw the grass away, hard, scattering it randomly in the air. He turned back and fell silent. Tia wrapped her arms around her knees and buried her head in them.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2004, 05:21:45 PM »

“I didn’t remember. It just popped into my head…I was so angry. No, I was frightened…it doesn’t matter. I’m sorry.” She babbled aimlessly. “It couldn’t have been the same thing anyway, I mean, he blew up the entire house with that one, I remember moving to…”
   “Well, really,” Kerry snapped. “You’re hardly at your dad’s level yet, now are you?” That silenced her. She thought about McGonagall’s lessons. She thought about her father, and her mother, and control.
   “No, not really,” she said.
   Kerry sighed and stared at the sky for a long while before he spoke again. “I’m sorry. That’s not it. I didn’t drag you out here to make you feel guilty. Or bring up bad memories.”
   “Oh, that was just a side effect, was it?” Tia mumbled.
   “No…you see, it just came out in the wrong order…that stuff is what I wanted to say at first. Back by the lake.” Tia didn’t say anything. Kerry would wind around to the point eventually, and she was too busy feeling sorry for herself to urge him on.
   “You see, when I saw you cast that spell, I got angry, but then I realized what was going on so I just rushed in…then I was going to yell at you about it, but I couldn’t, because, well…I was going to tell you to stop fighting…but when I realized you were actually giving up…I couldn’t do it.”
   After a few seconds of trying to work that into a reasonable sentence, Tia lifted her head to look at him. “What?”
   “I thought about it a lot these past two days, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you were right the first time. If you let Camden get away with this, it’ll be wrong.”
   “But I thought you just said…?”
   “No! Listen to me for once! No forget it, let me put it this way. You need fight this as you. Why do you think Camden’s so fixated on you? Because you’re a threat! You said it yourself. Whether it’s to his future plans as some kind of dark wizard, or he has no higher ambition than to dominate one school class, he’s afraid of you! But not, and I need to point this out, of your father! That’s what started this mess, remember? But he knows, he knows that if you really put your mind to it, he’d lose, so he set out to intimidate you, to chase away the part of you that he was afraid of and leave you with nothing. Instead he got that part of you that’s your father, and that was fine with him! He could deal with that! And he did….” He shook his head.
   “And then you decided to give up! That’s when I realized how bad it was! That’s not you. Oh sure you complain and gripe and rant and throw things, but you don’t just give up. Camden, for all his student status, has managed something that the fully-trained and hardened Seldon couldn’t do…”
   Tia managed a weak protest before Kerry cut her off again. “I’m not done! So you see…everything tells me we should go to the teachers now,” he continued with no obvious connection. “Actually, everything tells me we should have gone a long time ago. Still, maybe I’m stupid, but I don’t want to anymore.
   “You were right. You can’t go to the teachers because that will let Camden know he’s won. And when he graduates or leaves school or something, he’ll remember that he won, and he’ll go about whatever twisted plan he might have configured with a clear confidence in his own abilities. And that’s what the teachers are trying to avoid. Remember? You said it yourself….they keep the Slytherins together because they keep each other in check. So you need to keep Camden in check. You need to stop him. I don’t care anymore. I’d actually love to see you take his ego and strangle him with it. Shove his wand down his throat and make him eat those spells….but….that would be just like…” He trailed off, then started again.
   “Just…just don’t do it like that. Don’t do it like your father.” Kerry’s eyes locked on hers. Tia could do nothing but stare back. She’d never heard Kerry make a suggestion like that. Well, not seriously. She wondered what Kerry would think if he knew what she’d almost cast at Camden. Then she decided he would never know. Ever. She looked away, back down at her hands.
   “Look,” Kerry continued ruthlessly. “Using dark magic against dark magic…it only compounds the problem.” Tia stayed quiet but her hands clenched again. Kerry switched tactics abruptly, using a lighter tone. “Anyway, you don’t need it. I’ve seen you do better with less, remember? Why don’t you handle it like you usually handle things?”
   “Like I usually handle things?” Tia almost choked. “How? Word games? Threats? Avoidance? I tried them. They didn’t work because…because I panicked, Kerry!” Tia hissed, like air under high pressure suddenly released. “I completely lost it! I didn’t have time to think. I was absolutely terrified of what he was planning to do and all I wanted was to…stop him. I wanted whatever could provide that. And it came. Like it had been waiting. Not like my father, you say. But my mind is so fried there’s nothing left but that. I don’t dare face him again. I don’t dare. Somehow the teachers missed it, or they’re ignoring it, this time. But I don’t dare try again.” Out of the corner of her eye, Tia saw Kerry recoil as if she’d hit him. He sat back, leaned his head on one hand. She started to apologize.
   Kerry’s hand dropped. “I’ve done it wrong again, haven’t I?” he said softly to the ground. “No matter what you seem to think about me, I really can’t say anything right when I try.” Suddenly his arm shot out, and he caught hold of her sleeve so tightly she saw his knuckles whiten. “You can’t stop now. You can’t. If you decide to simply give up and metaphorically die because of memories of your father, what am I going to do? I’ve got two more bloody years at this insane asylum! Camden’s still here…Robert, Leslie… What am I going to do with it all if you disappear into the shadows? Do you understand me?” He sat back sharply, looked away. “I’m not making sense.”
   Tia’s mouth opened, then shut again. She wanted to say something, but couldn’t think of anything. At all. The silence grew.
   “Not making sense….” Kerry repeated slowly. Then he punched the ground, hard. “Fine then! Reason be damned. If you don’t do it, I will.” Tia’s head snapped up.
   “What? Kerry, he’d kill you. He’d tear you apart!” Kerry just raised an eyebrow at her.
   “So then?”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2004, 05:22:58 PM »

Tia stared at him in utter shock. “You’re forcing me? You’re seriously saying...? You know I can’t let you go after him! My mother would kill me, not to mention…!” Tia broke off, realized it was working. For a moment, she’d had every intention of marching straight back up to Camden and hitting him with everything she had. “You sneaky, manipulative little…”
   Kerry smiled, folding his arms and leaning back a little. “It works, though, doesn’t it. I’ve tried everything else.”
   “You’re bluffing.”
   “No. I’m perfectly aware of my own strengths and weaknesses, but, I have to do something. I’ve never been so angry in my life.”
   “You don’t look…” Tia hesitated. She remembered Kerry standing up to Camden and the others by the lake. He had been ready to fight them, if his story about Hagrid hadn’t worked. Fight them and lose. He was angry. Angry enough that he’d lost track of what he’d wanted to tell her and gone off on some guilt trip about the past. Considering Kerry, that was one sure sign that he was mad beyond belief. But he was still smiling… “You’re just like Camden, you know?” she said suddenly. “I can’t ever tell what you’re really thinking.”
   “I’ll take that as a compliment. Maybe.”
   Tia shook her head in bewilderment. “I can’t help but think you might do a better job of it if I did let you challenge him.” Coming to grips with this new side of Kerry might take a while, she thought to herself.
   “I doubt it. Besides, it wouldn’t really have the same effect, you know?” he shrugged. He held the blank-faced tableau for another moment or so, then let his breath out in a rush and rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands. “Argh! I can’t believe I just said all that!”
   Tia laughed, finally, letting the remnants of tension blow away. That sounded more like normal. “Sometimes,” she said. “The problem is, there’s really only one way to say things.”
   “Heh. Yeah. Maybe.”   
   They both fell silent, probably thinking about stupid things said and regretted, or at least mentally rephrased to sound better. Tia thought about that for a while, then she thought about Camden. Again. She shivered slightly, feeling cold. Not like her father. No more dark spells called from memory, imperfectly understood. “But…” she managed finally. “How? He’s too strong, magically. And he’s got everyone on his side.”
   “Everyone? You think so? I don’t. I think there’s plenty of people who would rather side with you. But you haven’t given them anything to side with. You’ve just been playing Camden’s stupid game back at him. You let him get to you. If you’d just ignored him from the beginning, I bet he wouldn’t have gotten very far.”
   “I can’t ignore him now.”
   “No, it’s too late for that, but…”
   “But?”
   “I don’t know. You’ll think of something.”
   Tia blinked, then gaped at him. “Why you little…! You say all that and then toss it back in my lap? You’re absolutely good for nothing but philosophy after all, are you!”
   Kerry burst out laughing. “Absolutely not! But you knew that.” He grinned at her. “And I know you’ll think of something.”
   So it was up to her again. But she had no ideas. That was why she’d given up on the whole thing. It had gotten too serious for her kind of ideas. Camden was too serious and even Kerry was too serious, whether or not he looked like it. Tia looked up at the sky. Fluffy white clouds floated by; the Quidditch banners bright against the blue sky. Even the weather was mocking the seriousness of it. For a moment Tia watched them, then suddenly she smiled. It was so obvious. “And you’re right.” She said out loud.
   This time it was Kerry’s turn to look surprised. “What? Already?”
   “Better believe it.”
   “Then how?”
   Tia grinned back at him. “Next time Camden comes after me, he’s going to attack all of Slytherin House.”

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
Re: Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2004, 12:44:56 AM »

I just read it all now, and I liked it. Quidditch was unexpected, and fun, for the circumstances. I'm up for more.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2004, 12:30:27 AM »

*blink blink* Someone's still reading this? Fascinating... I'd thought...but nevermind. I guess I'll actually have to post the rest, now that I'm back and such.

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
Re: Attempt #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2004, 11:05:20 PM »

Hee. Yes, post the rest.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2004, 04:58:22 PM »

The final game of the Quidditch season was starting in five minutes. Scott was pacing back and forth in the waiting room, yelling indiscriminately at the team members, none of whom were looking at each other. Tia smiled and pushed the door the rest of the way in.
   “Hey guys,” she said, raising one hand in greeting. “I’m back.” Seven people stared at her. Tia recognized her replacement, and walked over to her. “Hello Surrey, I know you don’t want to play today, right? A little under the weather? Got a cold?”
   Surrey stammered something and looked at Scott who stalked over. “What are you doing, Tia?”
   “I’m playing, Scott.”
   “But…”
   Tia leaned close to him. “I said, I’m playing,” she whispered. “For heaven’s sake what made you choose Surrey?”
   Scott got the point. “Take a break Surrey, you’re on stand-by.” He said, then turned back to Tia. “You better know what you’re doing.”
   “Never,” said Tia cheerfully. “Hurry up, we’ll be late.” She walked straight past Camden and Robert to the exit, listening to the crowd beyond. “Well?” she said to the hesitating team. Camden looked like he was about to say something, but Tia hopped on her broom and dropped out the door.
   The game went well, all things considered. The Ravenclaw team was in top shape, but they were also easy to predict. Scott shouted orders, or at least suggestions. Camden ignored them and kept trying to get close to Tia, but she headed for the other side of the field at top speed every time he focused on her. With most of the team distracted by this, the score quickly began to tilt in favor of the Ravenclaws. The time flew past, literally.   
   Tia sat on her broomstick near the goal posts and watched the other players zipping around her. Mostly, she watched Camden.
   “Hey, Tia. Moving would be a good idea occasionally. And maybe trying to catch the ball, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.” Scott floated up beside her, looking stressed.
   “It would.”
   “Come on! Just throw it through the hoop once! Just once! Please?”
   “No.”
   “Why not?” Scott almost screamed in frustration.
   “No point.” Tia twisted her broom suddenly and dove, almost straight down towards the lawn to where a Ravenclaw Chaser was hot on Metro’s tail. Long before she got there however, Metro broke the chase and Tia pulled up, circling around until she was pacing Julie. She leaned sideways as if to whisper tactics, and pressed a small object into the Seeker’s hand. “Here. Do your job, already.”
   Julie stared at the snitch. “But...what...how...” she looked at Tia. “Can you do that?”
   Tia shrugged. “I just did. Go make a feint or something. Let's end this ridiculous game.”
   Julie started to protest, and then a true Slytherin grin spread over her face. She spun away, executed a fancy loop in front of the Ravenclaw seeker, and came up waving the snitch in the air.
   “Weber's got the snitch! Slytherin wins!” The announcer called. Tia smiled and executed a few break-neck laps around the field with the rest of the team, just for the heck of it. Then she landed by the entrance to the prep-tent. Camden was only a few seconds behind her.
   “I saw that, Raven,” he said as she turned.
   “Oh? And?”
   “When the teachers find out…” he started. There was a hiss behind him. Metro had just landed.
   “The teachers? You’d tell the teachers about this?” He looked shocked. The rest of the team landed nearby, and other Slytherins emerged from the stands to congratulate them. A whisper ran through them as word was passed to the newcomers. “When we just won the finals? You know what that would do to us?” Metro was obviously enjoying this.
   Camden spun back to face Tia, realization dawning slowly in his eyes. “You…” he took a step towards her. She stepped back, mentally crossing her fingers.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »

“Alright, Tia. What are you looking so smug about?” Kerry asked, catching up with her on the way to the post-final-game party in the great hall. Tia boggled at him.
   “You don’t know? Where the heck were you at the game today?”
   “The game? Tia, when was the last time I went to a Quidditch game?”
   “Tch. You could have at least come to watch me play.”
   “You were playing?”
   “Kerry! How can you be so on top of things and so dense at the same time?”
   He backed up a few paces in defense. “Whoa! Last I heard you were still telling Scott to jump in the lake every time he approached you! When did it change?”
   “It changed twice! Oh forget it. After all your insisting that I do something, you actually missed it when I did. I don’t think I’ll ever forgive you.”
   “Right. So what did you do?”
   “You wouldn't believe me if I told you.”
   “Try me.”
   Tia shrugged and told him.
   “You're right. I don't believe it. Someone would have seen it if you'd caught the snitch.”
   “No one did. Or if they did, they don't care enough to say.”
   “That's cheating, Tia!”
   “Hmmm…really? I don't know...my Quidditch training hasn't been that comprehensive...” She smiled at Kerry. “Oh come on, what was I supposed to do? That stupid thing flew right past me twice, without either of the Seekers even noticing, despite the fact that it's the only object in the game with meaning. I guess it’s not enchanted to avoid anyone but Seekers. When it decided to make another pass, I couldn't help but grab it. Wouldn't you?”
   “Heck no.”
   “Well, if you weren't terrified of falling off, I mean.”
   “I am not terrified of falling off. I just see no reason to flaunt the fact at every possible moment. But that’s not the point!” Kerry caught up to himself.  “What good does cheating at Quidditch do?”
   “Lots.”
   “You’re not telling me something.”
   “Mmmmm.” Tia couldn’t hold off any longer. She spun in a little circle and clapped her hands. “Kerry, it worked! In one blazing flash of green-and-silver cloth and gold metal, it worked!”
   “What worked?” Kerry was half-smiling now, unable to help himself, but still unaware as to why.
   “Camden attacked me!”
   “Um…that’s good?”
   “Yes! Don’t you see? He attacked me after I’d just won the Quidditch game for our team! No one else knew it was me, but the team members did, and they started telling other people in the House before we even left the field! This win puts us at the top for the cup again, by a good margin, and then, then Camden had the nerve to try to jump me by the waiting tents!” She started walking in wider circles, laughing.
   “Tia! Slow down, you’re not making sense!” Kerry spun to keep up with her.
   “He tried to threaten me,” she giggled happily, remembering. “He said he would tell the teachers about how the team won! Can you imagine? He would have admitted that we cheated to win a Quidditch game! To the teachers! He would have lost us both the Quidditch cup and the House cup all in one shot, just to get at me! What’s the one thing that most people will discard all other preconceptions, fears and qualms about to defend? Sports.
   “It’s Quidditch, Kerry! The game this whole school is so crazy about that tests almost pale in comparison! Oh, I wish you could have been there! Derrell punched Camden right in the face, he’s such a Quidditch fan, and Julie, she’s only a second-year, but she jumped Robert so hard he nearly fell through the wall, and I, I didn’t have to lift a finger! Camden was so mad, but he couldn’t do a thing. Nearly every Quidditch fan in the House was showing up to ‘celebrate’, and it just got bigger and bigger, and then the Ravenclaws joined in because they lost, and the Gryffindors showed up because they must have thought it was something about them, stupid ego-trippers, and then here comes McGonagall trying to break it up and I swear I thought she was going to call the Ministry riot control…” Tia stopped talking and just laughed, unable to stop. Kerry looked on in amazement.
   “So that’s what you meant. ‘Next time he’ll be attacking the whole House’…” He shook his head, but he was smiling.
   Tia wore down finally. “Ahhh, that was great…the look on his face…pure anger, mostly embarrassment. He knew he’d messed up. He lost the House’s support. There’s nothing more fatal to someone like Camden than knowing he made a mistake. Oh and the fact that he’s stuck at the infirmary now, getting a compress for that eye…” For once, Tia was disappointed that magical healing was so effective. She would have liked to see Camden walking around with a black eye for a few days.
   Kerry wasn’t done. “So how did you contrive that? You can’t possibly have planned it out!”
   “Not really, not as such, but I had a basic idea of what needed to be done. All I had to do was be instrumental in winning the game.”
   “And so modest too.”
   “Yeah, I know.” Tia continued before Kerry could press for an explanation. “You see, I figured it out right after your speech on the Quidditch field.”
   “Speech? You make it sound like a joke!”
   Tia shook her head vehemently. “No! I know you were serious…that’s what gave me the idea! We were all too serious. You, me…Camden. All thinking about dark wizards and death and evil rising to power. And I was trying to counter it with the same. Dark magic against dark magic, you said it. It doesn’t work. You were right, but we both forgot one important thing. That here, in the confines of Hogwarts, nobody really cares. What’s ‘serious’ here is points and scores and who wins the cup. Camden’s playing a game that’s far too complex for the setting. You see, he’s playing Risk, but the school is playing Snakes-and-Ladders…and Camden’s using the wrong board…”
   “Okay, okay.”
   “And you said…Hey don’t make that face at me… you said I needed to fight like I usually do. And I’m never serious! Heck, I don’t even take spells seriously, always mixing up words, making stuff up, conjuring dinosaurs. Camden was using a serious weapon…threats of dark magic, so I used a serious weapon to counter it…Quidditch. Serious, my style. And I won because I used the right pieces for the right game…”
   “Enough with the analogies! I get it!”
   Tia grinned. “Sorry, I’m just so…so…”
   “Happy? Relieved? Unconcerned? Tired? What happened to your vocabulary?”
   “Camden stole it. Come on, let’s hit that party.” Tia ran towards the great hall.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »

Later, Tia walked slowly back to the common room. Though she’d said she had won, she knew it wasn’t quite over yet. She’d beaten Camden on the school playing board, just like she’d over-explained to Kerry before. What she hadn’t mentioned was that it wasn’t enough. She still had to beat Camden on his own board. It would just be easier now that his support was gone. She hoped. Stepping up to the wall she tapped it in sequence.
   “Nihil est.” she said, and it swung open. What seemed to be all of Slytherin was there, minus any who had ended up long-term in the infirmary following the brawl on the Quidditch pitch. Post-party conversation ceased as Tia stepped in. “Same old password, I see,” she remarked, testing the waters. Most people laughed. A good sign, she figured.
   Suddenly Julie bounced up to her, looking completely untouched from the fight. “Nice catch!” she exclaimed happily. “I didn’t really get a chance to tell you before. I’m a little jealous.”
   Tia shrugged it off. “Didn’t mean to steal your show. So to speak.”
   “There will be other games,” Julie grinned. “Which, I assume, you won’t be playing in.”
   “Hardly,” Tia sniffed, making her continued dislike clear. Julie’s smile broadened, then dissipated, looking off to the side. Tia turned to see Camden exiting the dormitory. Unfortunately, his eye seemed to be fine.
   “Hello, Barlow,” Tia said, softly but carrying. “Good game.” For once, he actually looked angry. Really angry. Oddly enough, Tia found this to be a good sign as well. She took a few steps deliberately into the center of the room. Students saw the warning signs a mile off and began to evacuate the area, or at least edge along the walls.
   Camden stepped out of the doorway. “I don’t know what you think you’re doing…” he started.
   “But I do,” Tia cut him off. “And that’s what counts, isn’t it?”
   His eyes narrowed, then suddenly his smile returned. “If you must force the issue,” he sighed, pulling out his wand. “I haven’t even started to fight.”
   Tia almost laughed, but caught it. Everyone should fight duels on the left-over adrenaline from a Quidditch party at which one is the secret star, she thought. It did wonders for one’s outlook. “Don’t let me stop you.” She raised her own wand, held it cross-wise in front of her. “Impenetrare.” The barrier they’d been working on perfecting in Defense snapped into life in front of her. Camden shook his head.
   “Is that the only thing you know?” he asked, mocking. He whispered something, and a bolt of green-yellow light hit the shield…and disappeared.
   “No,” Tia corrected him. “But I tried the other stuff last time, and it didn’t work too well, so I thought I’d give myself time to think of something else.” She examined the nails of her left hand in mock-speculation. Camden positively glared and raised his arm.
Four bands of what looked like deep purple separated from the tip of his wand and struck in succession. The shield flickered madly and nearly failed. Tia closed her eyes momentarily and it returned, just in time to block a red-orange fireball that was aimed for her head.
Clamping a firm hold on her expression before it gave away exactly how close that was, she covered it quickly with words while she worked on strengthening her shield. “You seem to have a strong dislike for speaking your spells, Barlow,” she commented, relieved when her voice came out normal. Control, she told herself harshly. Not power. Strange that McGonagall’s lessons would come in the most useful now. But the shield was, indeed, stronger. “Why is that? Afraid I might recognize something?”
   He didn’t answer. She didn’t really expect him to. Eyes flashing, he clasped both hands around his wand and sent a blaze of magic towards her. No spell, no words, just uncontrolled energy. It struck the shield and splashed like water in all directions. Around them, the spectators dodged to the sides. Tia tightened her grip and held her ground. I’m going to pay for this later, she thought. But for now, go ahead. Wear yourself out.
   As if it had heard her, the beam increased seven fold, and then abruptly went out as Camden lost control and stumbled. Tia decided she wouldn’t get a better chance.
   “Your magic just isn’t grounded in enough knowledge,” she commented, taking up McGonagall’s favorite lecture voice. “You’re parroting what you’ve seen others do, but you can’t control it. You should really stick to the simple spells…” And the hypocrite wins again.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2004, 05:06:29 PM »

Tia began gathering power in the back of her mind, and talked to cover it. “Do you follow mythology much, Barlow?” she called through the shield. “I don’t normally. It’s boring, but when you have a name like mine, you might as well know something about it, yes?” Camden frowned and another spell hit the barrier. It didn’t flicker. She continued conversationally. “Do you know how Marduk defeated the dragon Tiamat? He tossed the four winds down her throat and sliced her in half.” Tia smiled and dropped her barrier. “I never much liked that version.”
   Camden didn’t stop to think about her words, he simply took advantage of the sudden lack of defense. “Evanescens!” A sparkling, flashy ball of light emerged from the end of his wand.
   Tia recognized the spell he had used previously…how long had it been?…in class, but she only shook her head sadly. She raised her wand again and spun it in a circle, releasing the spell she’d been preparing while she prattled about mythology. “Aeolitus.
   The wind came from the side and struck everyone in the room except Tia. Her robes barely stirred as Camden’s spell was blown off course and crashed into the wall. Paintings snapped their hooks and swirled around them like a tornado. The desperate residents of the flying artwork fled the painted desks and chairs and disappeared. Most of the students did likewise, taking cover behind couches and in doorways.
   It was obviously a strain for Camden to remain where he was, but he managed it. A heavy-framed picture sailed past his ear. He didn’t even blink. From the eye of the storm, Tia smiled. She almost thought she could like this guy, if he wasn’t so evil. She upped the power, throwing a few chairs and the fireplace grate into the mix. The wind howled in a language all its own.
   “You like it?” she said, her voice oddly carrying despite the wind. “I call it the ‘dragon’s revenge’.”
   Camden struggled against the new force. “You call it? But…aeolitus…I know that spell. It’s just a basic wind spell!”
   Tia looked around at the flying furniture. “So I made a couple of modifications.” She turned her grin on Camden. “Just like your little ball of light is a common illusory spell modified with the hidden force of a tsunami.”
   Camden hissed underneath his breath, but somehow the sound reached her. “Fine,” he said. “You figured it out. But masked or not, it still does it’s job. Easy to cast, hard to detect.” He raised his wand like a lead weight against the wind. “And I don’t think you can block while maintaining this.”
   Tia cocked her head to one side, considering. “No,” she said. “I don’t think I can.” Reaching into her sleeve she extracted a small glass bottle and flung it at his head. Blocked instinctively by his wand, the vial shattered and a cloud of purple-black smoke expanded in the air…only to be whipped away by the raging wind. Camden smiled.
   “Nice try,” he sneered, and the wind circled around, blowing the smoke straight into his face. Stumbling backwards, he took a breath, and fell forward, eyes closing. The clatter of his wand hitting the floor was masked by the sudden commotion of paintings, logs and furniture that dropped with various bangs and crashes as the wind ceased.
   In the dead silence that followed, Tia’s disapproving cough was audible. “Most people seem to think potions is just a class designed for the legal torture of students. I bet even Snape doesn’t realize we occasionally learn something.” She stepped carefully over a downed tapestry and looked at Camden’s body.
   A clatter of moving furniture announced Derrell’s re-emergence behind her. He swallowed. “Is he…?”
   “Sleeping.”
   “Sleeping?”
   “Like the lotus-eaters.” Tia turned to look at him. “Why? What did you think I was going to do?”
   He rubbed the back of his neck thoughtfully. “Well…”
   “Never mind. Don’t speculate.”
   Derrell shrugged and knelt next to Camden, checking his breathing. Tia shook her head. “Well, don’t take my word for it or anything,” she said, insulted.
   “He’s fine.” Derrell said, ignoring her.
   “I said that. Don’t put me in the same class as him, all right? He’ll wake up soon enough. Maybe even, if we’re lucky, he’ll have forgotten a few things…” Tia wasn’t too sure about how specific she could make that potion, but she’d tried her best.
   “Forgotten?” Derrell looked interested. “Like what?”
   “Like a few spells he shouldn’t have known in the first place. No big loss to the wizarding world, trust me. It’s, ah…unnatural selection.”
   Derrell blinked at that, puzzled. Students began to emerge from the dormitories, looking a bit dazed. Scott made his way determinedly over, stepping through a huge picture frame that had once held a mountain landscape. He looked at Tia, then at the picture frame, then back at Tia. “Are you okay?” he asked, finally.
   Tia brushed off her robes. “Yep.”
   “Really?”
   “Never felt better.”
   “You’re not going to pass out or anything?”
   “Not in the slightest.” Had she really gotten a reputation for that? Drat.
   “Oh.”
   “Don’t sound so disappointed.”
   Derrell looked up from his position by Camden. “What do we do with him?” Tia smiled again. He’d asked her. He’d asked her. Perfect.
   “Oh, put him to bed or something,” she said nonchalantly. Derrell stared at her, amazed.
“But…”
   “Hmmm?” said Tia, raising an eyebrow at him.
   “Right.” Derrell gestured at a couple of other boys to help him drag Camden off to the dormitory.
   Only then did Tia look around at the wreckage of the common room. She remained standing for a minute, then flopped backwards onto what was luckily an overturned couch. “We’re all going to die!” she wailed. “After all this, Snape’s going to kill us over a furniture bill!
   Suddenly a pillow levitated across her field of view, dripping stuffing. “Um…” Julie spoke up softly. She was perched on an end table, looking like she’d been there the whole time, enjoying the view. “I know there’s probably been quite enough magic flying around this room recently, but…” The pillow seemed to fold in on itself and then, with a loud pop! it fell to the floor, perfectly whole. “We learned…in charms…” Julie hesitated again.
   “Bloody heck!” said Tia, forgetting her personal language barrier for the first time in months, and over a pillow at that. “Am I some kind of idiot or what?”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2004, 05:08:09 PM »

“WHAT IS GOING ON DOWN…” Snape stopped in the doorway, staring at the common room in front of him. Four second years halted their conversation in mid-giggle. Scott and Derrell glanced away from their chess game, then went back, unconcerned. Tia looked up from what was, pointedly, a Potions book. “Professor?” she asked.
Granted, she was probably the wrong choice for spokesperson. Snape turned in a storm cloud of black robes and glared at her like an eagle about to swoop down on a hare. Tia looked back, a puzzled half-smile on her face. After Camden, she could have stared down a basilisk.
   “I felt the largest explosion of magic since the library caught fire, coming from this room.” Snape continued to lock eyes with her. “Do tell me what has been happening.”
   Tia looked around at the room. A couple of pillows were an odd shade of blue, and a few paintings were still missing their occupants, but other than that, the room looked just as it always had. “Sir?” she tried again, looking even more confused.
   There was a soft sound from the stairwell of the boys dormitory. Snape turned to look as Camden leaned on the door, coughing occasionally. Tia tried to hold her breath without showing it.
   “Is there something wrong, Professor?” he said weakly. Tia let herself breathe again. Betting on Camden’s honor was not something she wanted to do every day.
   Snape’s eyes narrowed. “What happened to you?”
   Camden coughed again and then tried his usual smile. “I seem to have caught a cold of sorts. Late winter thing, very uncomfortable. I was just going to Madame Pomfrey…” he trailed off, looking at Snape.
   “Then go.” Camden made his way out of the room rather quickly. Snape turned back quickly, just in time to catch Tia’s unrepressed smile. “And what is so amusing, Raven?” he snapped, drumming his fingers on a chair back in obvious frustration.
   “Nothing, sir. It’s that I just figured out the answer to a problem that’s been bothering me for a while,” she tapped her potions book suggestively.
   “Oh?” Snape seemed determined to stay in the room on any pretext. “And what might that answer have been?”
   “Lotus-leaf extract.” Tia frowned at her book, looking disappointed. “But I won’t be able to test it, I seem to be fresh out.”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2004, 05:13:15 PM »

“And in the end you had to take him out in a duel, didn’t you,” Kerry reprimanded her the next day, handing her the bottle of pain-killer she’d asked him to pick up from the infirmary. “You couldn’t just leave it with the Quidditch match.”
   Tia downed six pills in one go and felt the drum band in her head immediately lessen. “Nope. I couldn’t. But don’t start yelling at me again, Kerry. Just trust me when I say it had to be done.”
   “Yeah, I know.”
   “Besides, it wasn’t much of a duel. He didn’t stand a chance. He got taken out by a simple third-year spell and a bottle.” Tia laughed softly to herself. Kerry just shook his head.
   “I told you so,” he whispered. Tia pretended not to hear as she stowed the pills in her bag. Kerry didn’t press the point.
Passing the display by the great hall, she stopped to admire the green and silver ribbons hanging on the Quidditch cup. “It’s almost enough to keep me on the team,” she remarked. “But not quite.”
   “Poor Scott,” said Kerry without sympathy, as he examined the point totals posted on the wall. He squinted at it for a moment then flung out an arm in mock dismay. “Slytherin’s way in the lead again,” he sighed. “And guess whose name is attached to most of it.” Tia stopped and looked over his shoulder.
   “For me? From Snape? Whatever for?”
   “It says ‘for Housekeeping’.” Kerry looked at her. She stared at the charts, trying to fit her mind around this new development. It didn’t take long.
   “He knew all along!” Tia exploded. “I don’t believe it, that old…” she shook her head. Kerry continued to grin.
“Who knew Snape had a sense of humor.”
   “It’s certainly well buried. With a lead axe, I should think.” Tia continued to shake her head. “He knew,” she repeated. “Just when I thought I’d finally gotten the best of him…”
   “You’d think,” Kerry speculated as they walked on. “That he would have done something, you know?”
   “Snape?” Tia snorted derisively. “With it being me or Camden, he probably figured he couldn’t lose. So why interfere?”
   “I could think of a few reasons, but there’s really no point in listing them, is there?” Tia shook her head at him and continued in silence for a while.
   “He’s really done it this time,” she said finally. “I’ll never be able to look him in the eye again.” Next to her, Kerry laughed. They wandered out of the school and onto the grounds. It was cold, but not bitterly so, and eventually they ended up by the lake, since the Quidditch pitch was closed for after-game repairs.
   Tia watched the water. It did absolutely nothing but sit and look wet. She threw a rock in it just for some action, but the squid seemed to be sleeping. She shrugged, then yawned. “Man, I’m still tired,” she said to Kerry. “I can’t even think a spell. You should have seen it. I haven’t the slightest clue where Camden learned half that stuff, but it took one heck of a block.”
    “If you’re waiting for me to congratulate you on finally paying attention in Defense, you’re going to wait a long time.”
   Tia sighed. “It was worth a shot. Hey, he won’t be casting most of it again, anyway. I haven’t really asked, of course, but Camden’s been walking around like he’s misplaced half his brain somewhere. I think my potion worked.”
   Kerry just nodded. “Couldn’t you have made him forget…well…everything? It might have been easier.”
  “No way.”
  “You’re right. Your own ego really wouldn’t allow it.”
   She started to retaliate, then stopped and shrugged. “Darn straight. He’d better remember that I beat him.” Kerry giggled.
   Tia sighed. She’d wondered herself if it wouldn’t have been better to completely wipe the last couple months from Camden’s memory. That would have been suspicious, though, and easily reversible. He could hardly go to the teachers and ask them to give him his dark magic back, though, could he? It was safer this way, at least for the rest of the school year. Tia decided that was the best she could hope for. “It’s been a long year,” she said out loud.
   “Yeah.” Kerry agreed.
   “But in the end, Slytherin’s still on top.”
   He blinked at her. “Now hey, that’s not what I meant!”
   “I know, but it’s what I meant. I was beginning to seriously doubt our chances.”
  He shook his head and sat down on the grass. “I can’t believe, after all that, you’re still proud of being in Slytherin.”
   Tia followed him. “Well, it’s a lot more interesting than what’s been going on in your House, I’m sure. I mean, what has been going on in your House?”
   Kerry opened his mouth, then closed it again. “I don’t rightly know. I think I’ve been spending too much time around yours.”
   “Aha!”
   “What’s that supposed to mean?”
   “Nothing.”
   “Isn’t that what it always means?”
   “Yep.”
   “Hmmm. Fine. So now what do we do? I’d hate for it to get boring all of a sudden.” Kerry looked sideways at her.
   “Boring? Hah! Look at this year! They release my father from Azkaban, and so I completely miss out on the relaxing summer I was supposed to have, so by the time I get out here my classes end up shot. Then this idiot Seldon and his absolutely insane father show up on the supposedly unpenetrable Hogwarts grounds and try to resurrect Voldemort with nothing more than a really ugly candle, and we stop them…sort of…which causes Camden to think I’m a pushover for some reason and he declares all out war, which I win by playing Quidditch of all the stupid solutions, and in the middle of that everyone suddenly decides to act completely opposite the way they usually do. McGonagall, who for all appearances thought I was a lost cause, suddenly decides I’m worth something and starts giving me pointers about magic and life in general, and Snape, of all people, randomly awards me about a billion points for, so far as I can tell, destroying the common room, and Dumbledore has not stuck his big pointy nose into any of it, and you… I’m not even going to touch that subject…and now we get to take OWLs and see how much we’ve learned from all this crap, and you think it’s going to be boring?”
   “Thank you for that lovely plot summary.”
   “Shut up. The point is,” Tia continued, glaring at him. “I could use some boredom.”
   “You say that now, but in a week?”
   She sighed. “You’re probably right. I’ll think on it.”
   Kerry smiled and tried to revive the previous subject. “What about Camden?”
   “What about him? He’s going to allow his parents to transfer him to Durmstrang next year. They’ve been wanting to for a while.” Tia smiled. “He told us all about it this morning as if it was a privilege and we should be jealous. No one cared.” She stretched happily, reaching for the sky.
   “Aren’t you worried? About him?”
   “I told you already. It’s taken care of. Over. Finished. Camden’s been playing a game, and he lost.” Tia shrugged. “If he didn’t see it as serious the whole time he was messing around, he doesn’t see it as serious that he lost now. He’ll get over it.”
   “That’s what I’m afraid of.”
   “Well, he’ll be a long way from here, so who cares?”
   “What about after?”
   “After what?”
   “School. After we graduate.”
   “That is, assuming we graduate…”
   “Heh, but still. He might remember by then. Or re-learn. Or something.”
   “By that time Camden will make an absolutely wonderful dark wizard, if he should so aspire, and something he said makes me think he does….but, I don’t know. I can’t think that far. Day to day survival is enough. Besides, I shouldn’t flatter myself too much. He might turn out to be nothing more than a kid with big ideas. Maybe he’ll give them up.” She picked a grass blade and began twisting it into knots. It didn’t seem terribly likely. “I’ll figure that part out when it comes. If it comes.”
   “If.” Kerry nodded. He watched the clouds pass for a while. A caterpillar crawled up, sprouted batwings and flew away. Tia and Kerry looked after it. “So what would they do if the Hogwarts wildlife wandered into Muggle territory?”
   “I don’t know. Knowing most Muggles, they’d probably pretend they never saw it.”
   “You know that many Muggles then.”
   “No. Not really.” Tia’s grass blade broke. She picked another one. Kerry stretched out on the grass and hummed to himself.
   “So,” he said finally. “Speaking of day to day survival…OWLs are still coming up. Think we should study?”
   “You know, I don’t care.” Tia was surprised at herself.
   “Oh?”
   “No. I think I’ve learned enough this year, and I don’t particularly care to learn any more. Especially from textbooks. I’ll take the stupid tests as is, and see what happens.”
   “What if you fail?”
   “Then I’ll quit school and do what I’ve been dying to do for years.”
   “What’s that?”
   “Magic.”
   Kerry sat up. “But, you can’t do magic if you’re not a certified…”
   “You know, one of the things I’ve learned this year is the difference between ‘can’t’ and ‘is not allowed to’.” Tia grinned at him.
   Kerry crossed his arms behind his head and lay back on the grass. “God,” he said. “I hope you pass.”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2004, 05:16:39 PM »

Well, that's the rest of it. Questions? Quips? Quotes? Qualms?

Whew. Fifty-six pages. Remind me never to do that again.

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2004, 07:41:28 PM »

Wow, 56 pages? That's quite an accomplishment. I definitely liked it. The Quidditch match was very cool. Knowing your opinions about the sport, it was really very amusing. I thought the whole thing was excellent. My only question is when does this take place? late 80's? Anyway, excellent job Tia! You should post this at fanfiction.net or something.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2004, 02:46:11 PM »

This takes place...um....after my last fic...so...I would say when Harry's about six or seven. I never really pinned it down, but Tia was ten when Voldemort was defeated, and it's her fifth year, so I guess, yeah. I never paid attention to the muggle year that would be, since I never paid attention to that when reading the HP books. Too much thinking for me. I just didn't want Tia in Hogwarts at the same time as Harry and them, and it seemed like a good time period where JKR hasn't written about anything (yet), so...

Okay, I broke down and posted on fanfiction.net. Dang it I swore I never would. Then again, I swore I'd never write fanfic. :P

http://www.fanfiction.net/~tiamat42

« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 04:15:10 PM by Tiamat »

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2004, 11:04:41 PM »

I'll leave you a review, but it'll be anonymous because I am not revealing my fanfiction.net account to anyone-- wayyyyy too embarrassing.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 01:14:51 PM »

Awww...spoilsport. I let you read my embarassing excuse for a fic...

Nah, it's up to you :)

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2004, 03:52:33 PM »

Yes but you weren't 14 when you wrote your "totally embarrasing fanfiction," now were you? :) I think our fanfictions are in totally different leagues.

purplerebecca

• Ravenclaw
  • First-year Student
  • RC Class o' 98
    • View Profile
    • SilverSong
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2004, 04:20:30 PM »

I am a staunch Tia/Kerry shipper.

;D

*runs*
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up