Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)  (Read 717 times)

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)
« on: November 23, 2003, 07:08:57 PM »

Hello my long-forgotten friends. Or something. Hehe. Nice to read you again.

Just thought I'd let you know that I finished yet another long travesty of a fan-fic (Yes I know I swore off, but, but...) and I wondered if anyone was interested in reading it? I mean, it's kind of long...

Justina liked it, however, if that means anything to anyone *grin* and she's SO hard to please, ne? *ducks* Don't kill me yet!
If you're going to be evil, do it right.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
Re:Attmept #2 - Tia returns again (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 08:04:13 PM »

*Sits in a front seat of the reading circle and folds hands patiently*

Well? Let's see it.  ;) ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
    • The inside of my head at fanfiction.net...because I'm too lazy to make a real site.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 03:27:02 PM »

((Argh! I can't type while people are staring at me! :) ))

Tiamat Raven sat at breakfast in the main hall, flanked by Derrell Silvern, who was flirting with Leslie Fisher, and Kerry Madden, who was talking over his shoulder to someone at the Ravenclaw table. Tia, left out of both conversations, was watching the ceiling. For some reason, it was displaying a full night sky, despite the bright morning sunshine streaming in the windows.
   “Hey Kerry, I think the ceiling’s off,” she commented, but Kerry didn’t hear. Tia shook her head. No one seemed to care anymore if Kerry sat at the Slytherin table with her, but did he have to bring Ravenclaws into it? Next thing she knew, he’d be inviting some Gryffindor over. You’d think there weren’t enough people to talk to already at the table.
   Tia thought about it. Well, maybe there weren’t. The Slytherin breakfast crew had never been the most conversational. Half the table was desperately trying to do their homework in the ten minutes before class, and the other half had divided themselves up into those little groups of friends that looked at you funny if you said good morning. A few of them were glaring at her surreptitiously over their plates. She shifted uncomfortably; that sort of thing was becoming more frequent lately. She glanced over at the other tables instead. The Ravenclaws were fairly quiet, as usual, except for a loud-ish debate going on at one end about test grading policies. Someone at the Gryffindor table had started a food-fight with the Hufflepuffs and was being chastised by Professor McGonagall, even as the rest of the table continued to chuck ketchup-filled rolls across the room.
   All in all, most of it looking far more interesting than listening to Derrell try to get yesterday’s homework answers out of Leslie. Tia looked back up at the stars, thinking she might condescend to sit at the Hufflepuff table the next day, just for a change.
   Suddenly the sky was lit up by a supernova that spawned a couple hundred owls out of it’s brilliance; the daily mail carriers. Tia smiled at the effect, but nobody around her seemed to have noticed it. She nudged Kerry with her elbow.
   “So what’s the point, if no one watches?” she asked. The Ravenclaw who she’d interrupted glared at her, and the turned back to his table as she pointedly ignored him.
   Kerry looked at her, shook his head, and then glanced up at the ceiling thoughtfully. “I don’t know. People do look at it, it’s just after the first few weeks you don’t see it anymore. I guess it stays because it’s practically part of the building by now.”
   “If that’s so, they ought to fix it. It’s way off.”
   “Oh I don’t know. Stars in the daytime is kind of cool. I mean, you can see the blue sky outside the windows and the dark sky through the ceiling. It’s a nice effect.”
   “Who are you, Van Gogh?”
   “Who’s Van Gogh?
   “Please tell me you’re kidding.”
   “Er…”
   Luckily for Kerry, they were interrupted by the Slytherin table’s mail. Owls flew overhead, dropping packages with tolerable accuracy into the hands of waiting students, then circled back to pick up table scraps and such from their owners.
   “Do you think that’s good for them?” asked Kerry, watching a small screech owl try to down a sugar-covered pastry the size of it’s head. Tia shrugged.
   “Hasn’t killed any of them yet.” She grinned suddenly. “And speaking of dead things…” She watched as a large, black bird detached itself from the circling owls and landing on the table in front of her. It preened its feathers and bit an owl that landed too close.
   “What is that?” Leslie asked. She didn’t sit near Tia much.
   “It’s a raven, of course,” Tia explained. Leslie stared at her. “Family joke? You know?”
   “Of course.” Leslie rolled her eyes and turned her attention deliberately back to her food. Tia leaned over to say something to her, but Kerry tapped her shoulder.
   “So, what’s your mom have to say?” he asked, defusing the thoughts she’d been about to express to the other Slytherin girl. She sighed and removed the rolled up paper from the raven’s leg instead. The bird took off and disappeared as she unrolled the note.
She looked at it, blinked, turned it over a couple of times and then passed it to Kerry. He scanned it.
   “Nice work, darling,” he read out loud. “And if you do it again, you won’t leave the house for a year.” He turned it over too. “No signature.” He shrugged. “Well, that’s your mom all over.” Tia laughed.
   “It is, isn’t it? I can’t believe it took her three weeks to say that. Though it was probably the stupid bird. See? It’s dated nearly seventeen days ago. We really need a better system.” She took the paper back and continued looking at it. After a few minutes Kerry spoke again.
   “So…what are you looking for?” he asked.
   “Huh? Oh, nothing.” She folded the paper and stuck it in her bag. “Come on, let’s get to class.”

((Sorry, I was going to post a longer bit, but my file's corrupting again. Of course.))

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 07:10:25 PM »

Class went quite well, all things considered, continuing a streak that had gone on for several weeks. Tia should have known it was too good to last. By dinner that night, she was ready to tear her hair out and strangle everyone in sight with it. An argument about curses that had started in the common room before lunch was still going on up and down the table. Bits of conversation floated to her ears from the rest of the table.
   “Well, my cousin killed six people in one night by using a…”
   “…and then there was this bus, just packed full of Muggles, went up like a fireball…”
   “My sister-in-law had this familiar that used to chew off people’s legs and bring the remains back to…”
   Tia slammed her plate down so hard the pitcher at the other end of the table fell over. “Shut up! Just shut up, all of you!” She let go of the plate which slid off the edge to the floor and shoved her chair back so hard it knocked the Ravenclaw kid behind her into his food. Standing, she kicked her chair back into place, stalked down the row and left the hall, not caring who was staring at her.
   Stupid Slytherins! She thought to herself, in a mental yell so loud she wondered if anyone heard it. Idiots! Always trying to out-evil each other, even if only by association. Tia was sick of it, and the fact that she had willingly started the original argument didn’t help any. And now that she’d told off the whole table, well…she’d deal with the repercussions of that when the time came.
   “Caveat Emptor,” Tia said, reaching the common room. The section of the wall guarding the Slytherin common room slid aside. Stepping in, she dropped her bag on a couch and wandered over to the stash of stolen food everyone kept behind the wolf painting. The pack barked at her until she tapped the leader on the nose with her wand. “Quiet, you.” she said. The wolves whimpered and slunk away. The painting swung aside. “So who came up with thatpassword?” she said conversationally to the anti-social, dinner-avoiding people arranged around the room, as she rummaged through the leftovers. “It’s the stupidest in years.”
   “Scott,” said Derrell.
   “Derrell,” said Scott.
   “I see,” said Tia, flopping down on the couch next to her bag. Someone sat down, or rather, jumped down, beside her. Tia looked over at the wide, semi-innocent gaze of a second year. Julie, yeah that was her name. “What?”
   “I’ve been meaning to ask you…” Julie started.
   “The answer is no.”
   “Come on, please?”
   “No!” Tia stood up again, quickly, and disappeared into the dormitory.
   “I told you!” Julie wailed at Scott as Tia left. “What do you mean, get a girl to ask her, it’ll help?”
   Tia leaned on the railing of the steps leading down to the bedrooms and rolled her eyes. Scott Pratt was captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team, and he’d been after her to join for two years now. Now he was even getting the other members to pester her. She was sort of flattered, but not enough to let him know, and certainly not enough to play Quidditch. Stupid game. Continuing down the stairs, she threw the bag at her bed, then dumped things out of it until she found her letter from the morning. Smiling, she lit a candle with the end of her wand and unrolled the note. Holding it over the candle, the flame rushed quickly up the page and died. Tia removed it before it could catch again, and sat on her bed, resting against the head board.
   On the page, letters began to form, red like the fire, then fading to black ink. Tia smiled again. Her mother loved doing this, but it still worried Tia occasionally. She never knew when it was just fun, and when it actually concealed something. She read the first line and let out a sigh of relief. Sounded like nothing spectacular this time.

Tia,
   You haven’t gotten tired of this method of communication yet, have you? When you were in first year, you were so embarrassed. You thought it was too much like you had something to hide. I haven’t written like this in so long, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try again, just for old times sake. And also for the fact that I know mail always gets opened at the public breakfast table, and that can be embarrassing.
   Onwards then. I’m sorry I’ve taken so long to write, it’s been hectic over here. I swear, those Ministry people are getting just as annoying as the dark wizards sometimes. A bunch of investigators came by to ask me everything I knew about Seldon, which wasn’t much. Really, they always assume I knew your father’s group. Heck, half of them are still dying to try to prove I was part of it. Never get a Ministry job, Tia, they’re all either corrupt, stupid, or holding grudges so big they can’t see around the edges. They wanted to talk more about your father than about Seldon…oh well.
   After all was said and not done, that Seldon sounds like the type who has an over-inflated view of his own importance. Of course, that doesn’t make him any less dangerous. I meant it when I said good work, I’m actually quite proud of you…though I nearly had a heart attack when the Headmaster informed me of what you’d been up to. I always said you’d do things like that someday, but really, Tia! If I hadn’t had to watch your father, I’d have come straight out, but nobody else will watch him, you know? As it is…I think he’s improving. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad. I keep his wand hidden in the water storage, maybe I should burn it? Perhaps a few memory charms will keep him from improving too much.
   Ah, I’m sorry, Tia. You probably have enough on your mind without my running updates on that piece of history, but you did say you wanted to know. How is studying going? Able to concentrate? I’m sure you are. You’ve always been one for a quick recovery.

Tia stopped reading and leaned back against her pillows. Quick recovery huh? Well, if her mother meant that she was already getting into trouble again, that was about perfect. If she meant the continuing headaches that occasionally dragged her back to Madame Pomfrey, the feeling that the subjects she was studying weren’t quite good enough, but were slipping away from her nonetheless, and the increasing desire to strangle her fellow Slytherins…no. She shook her head and looked back at the letter.
   On a different note, how is Kerry? Holding up well? I can’t believe you dragged him into that mess with you. You know how he gets. Well, I suppose we all need backup sometimes, and there’s worse you could find than Kerry.
   Matchmaking advice coming from her mother. The one who married her father. Mentally berating herself for that thought, Tia scanned quickly through a couple of paragraphs of random motherly advice on cat care, study skills and eating habits. It didn’t really matter if your mother was a dark magic hunting witch, some things never changed.
   PS- The counterspell  for most movement-restricting types is ‘subete volandus’. Remember that next time, okay? It works every time. Well, almost every time.
   So was her mother saying she ought to find some situation that would allow her to use it? Tia giggled and snatched up a spare piece of paper to write it down. If Kerry knew how much her mother encouraged her, he’d throw a fit. Well, she’d ask Derrell to help her practice instead.
   The paper was suddenly snatched out of her hand by a red-orange paw. Ember sat on the bed and stared at her in that serene yet pointed way only cats can effect. It said ‘You’re reading that when you could be feeding me? What are you thinking?’ The cat’s tail twitched.
   “Oh fine.” Tia folded up the letter and chucked it into the heater, where it disappeared in an instant. Not that she really cared if anyone read it, but it was kind of fun pretending she did. “Bottomless pit,” she directed at Ember, who continued to stare. Tia blew out the candle and took the stairs back to the common room in search of something to feed the animal.
   “Tia’s mellowed a lot recently, don’t you think?” she heard Derrell’s voice coming from the room before she reached it. Talking about her again, were they? She’d enjoyed it at first, but now she was getting mighty sick of being a conversation topic. Rolling her eyes, she edged forward.
   “Getting to throw fireballs at a dark wizard took a lot off her mind.” Especially when that was the topic.
   “Heh…I bet. When do you think it’ll end?”
   “TIAMAT RAVEN!!!” Snape’s voice suddenly tore through the hallway outside. Ember startled and fled back down the stairs. A belated memory of a cauldron she’d left boiling in the potions lab before dinner flickered into Tia’s mind.
   “About now.” Derrell concluded smartly.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 04:02:13 PM »

Yay!

It's really good so far, Tia. I love your characters, and I assume "That mess" you're talking about is from your last fic, right?

Anyways, keep it up. I'm glad I have a new fic to read, gives me something to look forward to. ^_^
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 11:10:31 PM »

Yeah, 'that mess' would be the last fic. I keep referring to it, but it's not really neccessary, I guess. Maybe. I dunno. I always assume things are obvious because I wrote them, but not being anyone else I don't know how anyone else thinks. *giggle* Was that vague enough? Oh well. Onward.
------------------------------------------

“I hate transfiguration. I hate furniture. Especially furniture that is supposed to turn into animals. I hate animals. Especially the kind that used to be furniture. I hate Professor McGonagall, but not nearly as much as I hate Snape, and I hate Dumbledore most of all for continuing to run this insane asylum of a school!”
   Tia pressed her quill so hard the point snapped off and flew across the room. Kerry leaned to one side to avoid it. “Is it supposed to do that?” he said, looking over his shoulder. “I mean, I never thought of quills as the snapping kind.” He glanced at the other inhabitants of the study hall, who were staring at Tia. He smiled and waved at them. For reasons known only to behavioral analysts, this caused them all to quickly look back down at their books. Kerry shrugged, then leaned over the table and said in a perfectly serious voice, “You know, Tia, if you have a nervous breakdown you’ll never do well on the OWLs.”
   Tia stared at him. It had been over a month since their encounter with the dark wizard Seldon. Almost a week since life had started to go downhill again, at least on Tia’s end. Three days since Snape went back to subtracting points from her every third word. Four hours since McGonagall told her she’d better shape up in transfiguration. And now this. “Kerry, that was almost evil.”
   “But true.”
   “Still.”
   Kerry shrugged again, then turned away and rummaged in his bag for a moment. Extracting a spare quill he passed it to Tia. “Here.”
   “Thanks.” Tia started writing again. Her explosive mood seemed to have passed as quickly as it had arisen. She tapped her quill on the side of the inkwell thoughtfully. “Okay, how do you do it?”
   “Do what?” Kerry didn’t look up.
   Tia realized she didn’t have the vocabulary for what she was trying to refer to. “That.”
   Kerry smiled at his book. “What?” he said again.
   “Okay, now you’re just being deliberately annoying. What I meant was, how do you stay so calm all the time?” He shrugged again. “And knock that off.”
   “Okay, okay.” Kerry looked up. “I am not calm all the time.”
   “No?”
   “No.”
   “Well you’re a darn good actor then.”
   “Why thank you.” Kerry finally put his quill down and seemed to devote his full attention to her. “Actually I think…”
   “You do?”
   “Occasionally. I think…”
   “Yes?”
   “That it’s just the basic, fundamental difference in our personalities.” He picked up his quill again and returned to his book. Tia watched him for a minute.
   “Well, that was helpful.” She said, finally.
   “Yes.”
   “By which I mean it wasn’t helpful at all.”
   “Yes.”
   “You’re just going to agree with me until I shut up, aren’t you?”
   “Yes.”
   “So can I have your potion decanter, you know the silver one with the self measuring…”
   “No.”
   “Tch. Fine.” Tia bent over her own book, smiling to herself for no reason she could reasonably explain. Then the last few day’s events came back with a rush. She put the pen down again. “Kerry…” she started.
   “What?” He sounded annoyed.
   “Never mind.”

After study hall, Tia wandered back to her common room, trailing her wand along the wall, absently watching the stones turn different colors in response. She was thinking hard, and it wasn’t an occupation that came easily. Things had been a little strange in Slytherin House lately, and returning to the common room wasn’t as much of a relief as it used to be, for one reason or another. Her wand clicked over eight green stones in succession and she stopped. Tapping the stone above twice and the stone below three times, she said the password. Nothing happened.
   “Caveat Emptor,” she repeated, then frowned as the door remained obstinately shut. If they’d changed the password, surely someone would have told her. And that password was only a few days old, they hardly needed a new one. Now she was going to look stupid for not knowing the new password, but it wasn’t enough to wait in the hall about. Tia banged on the wall and waited. No one came. Sighing, she turned her wand and pointed it at another section of the wall, working one of the smaller stones loose with magic. Putting as much force behind it as she could muster, she flung the rock at the hidden door. It hit with a crash loud enough to be heard in the Gryffindor tower.
   The door swung open, and a third-year peered around it. “What was that?” he asked. Tia brushed passed him without answering. “Who changed the password?” she snapped upon reaching the main room.
   “Password? Oh that. I did.” Candlelight flickered off a pair of glasses in the far corner of the room. The glasses belonged to Camden Barlow, a fellow fifth-year student and resident self-important jerk.
   “Why?” Tia asked, advancing towards him. “Did the Ravenclaws figure it out or something?”
   “Nope. I just didn’t like it.”
    “And why didn’t I hear about it?” Actually, she already had a more than sneaking suspicion, but she figured she’d try to avoid the conflict for once.
   “Hmmm. I don’t know. Maybe you’re just out of the loop. I mean, if you spend all your time with Hufflepuffs, you kind of miss out on the Slytherin news.”
   Everything went quiet. It did that quite often lately, usually when Tia and Camden were both in the room. There was a long story of mutual dislike there, but it had come to a head recently because of…but that was another topic. “Well,” Tia started, but wondered how to continue. She could defend her Hufflepuff friends, but that would only start an argument that had played out too many times already. She could recite a whole list of Slytherin news that she was up to date on, but that would be embarrassing to some of the people in the room. She could pin Camden to the wall with her wand…but that was just wistful thinking. “What is the password?” she finished lamely.
   “Nihil est,” said Camden.
   “Oh very clever.” Tia rolled her eyes. A couple people giggled. Camden only smiled.
   “Yes,” he said. “I thought so.”
   Tia resisted the impulse to tell him not to think in her presence anymore. It wouldn’t serve any purpose except to annoy him, and Tia was uneasy enough in his company as it was. She fished around for a moment, then brightened. “Well,” she smiled back at him. “I’d better go inform Snape about our new password. He, ah, might not have heard yet.”
   Camden’s smile dropped. Snape was annoyed enough at the Slytherins’ habit of changing their password every week or so; finding out that Camden had changed it again on a whim would probably put him over the edge. It wasn’t really a punishable offense, but Snape would find a way to take it out on him, Tia knew that well enough.
   “Now look…” Camden started, but Tia had already whisked out the door.
   “Oh, and try to keep the password from, ah, rearranging itself while I’m gone, yes?” She called back from the corridor.

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 11:24:57 PM »

I'm really tired at the moment, so it probably wasn't the best time to start reading this, but I liked. Yes I did. I want Kerry to be my BFF. Good job Tia.  ;D

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 11:30:56 PM »

You want Kerry to be your what? *snicker* I'll keep that in mind.

Speaking of Kerry, one of my friends out here got really attached to him. So I told her I was going to kill him off in my next fic and she flipped out. (I was only joking!) Now I'm getting death threats. *grin* I don't know whether to be flattered or scared.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 03:40:03 PM »

And again...I'm so bored...

---------------------------------------------

The next day was double potions. Tia was actually looking forward to class, since she was certain Snape would be glaring at someone else for once. She dodged the crowds in the hall by taking her favorite semi-secret stairs and slid into her seat by Kerry. Snape was writing some formula on the board and didn’t even look around.
   “I did it!” she whispered. “I got him off my back, for a little while at least.”
   “I’m not going to ask.” Kerry looked with exaggerated interest at the next page of his book.
   “Oh come on, I didn’t implicate anyone important for anything really bad, if that’s what you’re getting at.”
   “Okay, okay, but don’t ruin it by gloating so much you mix the wrong potion or something.” He gestured at her reagents, haphazardly unpacked on her desk.
   “Of course not.” Tia looked offended. “That’s what you’re here for.”
   Kerry groaned, but was prevented from retaliating by Snape slamming the chalk down and turning to the class.
   “Today,” he said with his usual lack of preliminaries. “We are going to study memory modifications. It has come to my attention that certain people are incapable of keeping one piece of simple information in their heads for long periods of time, and therefore feel obligated to keep changing it every time they forget.” Snape glared directly at Camden. Tia almost cheered. She had worded her ‘report’ to Snape very carefully, making it seem as if Camden was responsible for all the short-term password changes, not just the most recent one.
   “So,” the professor continued. “I think it is for the good of the people involved and, of course, the improvement of the minimal knowledge prevalent in this classroom, that we embark on this course of study for the next few lessons. Now, on the board…”
   Tia turned to Kerry and winked. He shook his head and began writing studiously in his notebook, but she could seem him grinning at the pages. She snuck a look at Camden, and found him looking back at her. She didn’t know what she expected his reaction to be, but the expression on his face wasn’t it. He looked thoughtful, as if something profound had just occurred to him. Tia’s thoughts filtered back to the argument on curses of a few days ago, and realized she might have tapped something she hadn’t meant to. She looked back at her desk, suddenly nervous.
   She soon forgot about it, however, in concentrating on her mixture. Snape had probably made the recipe deliberately difficult, and Tia wasn’t about to lose her advantage by doing something stupid. She and Kerry were deep in discussion over whether the liquid was the proper shade of blue yet or not when Camden appeared by their table.
   “Hello Raven,” he said pleasantly. “I just wanted to thank you for bringing this topic to Snape’s attention. I’ve always wanted to learn this particular potion. It would be so useful.”
   Tia set down a bottle carefully. “Then why, do tell, are you over here instead of over there practicing it?”
   “Why, I thought you might need some help. I noticed your old friends the termite drones are required for this experiment, and I just wanted to make sure that…”
   Tia’s hand tightened on the bottle, then relaxed as she adopted Camden’s own tone. “And you accuse me of not staying the loop. That’s so old news.” She shook her head sadly. Camden shrugged.
   “Well, I only offered. Actually, I was hoping you could lend me some armadillo scales, I’m fresh out.” With that he reached over, picked up her vial and walked back to his desk. Kerry started to protest, but Tia stopped him.
   “Leave it. He must be really flustered if he’s resorting to something as petty as stealing reagents.”
   “But…”
   “Don’t worry, I’ll get him back.” She reassured him.
   “That’s what I’m worried about.”

After Potions was Charms. Tia found the subject interesting, but the class rather boring, since Professor Flitwick tended to prefer charms for changing the color of roses to charms for suddenly giving people the personality of a wood pigeon. Today, however, she was paying attention, though she carefully kept her usual bored posture.
   “Continuing our work on efficient enchantments, today we will be practicing what I like to call magic on the run. To demonstrate,” His eyes scanned the room, passing over Tia as usual and alighting on the girl behind her. “Surrey. Would you please levitate that paper airplane and fly it fairly quickly across the room.”
   Surrey, whose first name Tia could never remember, quickly did as she was told. Flitwick’s wand flicked once, twice, three times and the plane progressively changed colors, increased in size and turned to lead, dropping to the floor.
   “Now,” the professor continued. “Those are all fairly simple charms, but even the easiest enchantment can be difficult when practiced on a moving target. So today we will stick with the simplest of spells and work our way upward throughout the week. Now, who would like to try?” A few hands were raised, and practice began in earnest. Tia waited.
   Finally, Camden’s turn came. Tia shifted her seat slightly and focused. Camden was supposed to levitate the plane for Derrell to practice on, but it wouldn’t budge. It sat on his desk as if it was already made of lead. He flicked his wand again, repeated the spell a little louder. Tia clamped down harder. The paper didn’t even twitch.
   Camden’s head snapped up, scanning the room. The first person he looked at, of course, was Tia. She looked back, both hands deliberately on the table and six inches away from her wand. His eyes left her, went accusingly to Derrell, then to Flitwick, then back to Tia. Just as he opened his mouth to say something, Tia let go. The paper plane flew upward past his nose with the force of a rocket and shot towards the teacher. Flitwick ducked behind his desk and the plane flattened itself against the wall behind him. The class burst out laughing.
   “What what?” Flitwick clambered out from behind his desk. “Barlow, did you think that was funny?”
   “Sir, it wasn’t me…” Camden started. Flitwick only glared at him as best the diminutive teacher could.
   “Five points from Slytherin for bad practical jokes,” he squeaked. “Class dismissed.”
   As the students left the classroom, Camden caught up with Tia. “I know that was you.” He said, his voice still infuriatingly calm.
   “Oh sure. Just because you can’t handle a basic levitation spell, it’s my fault.”
   “Yes. I don’t know how you did it, but you did it.”
   “Prove it.”
   Camden stopped dead in the hall, and Tia turned to wait. The other students filtered away. “You don’t want to play this game, Raven. Trust me. I really don’t think you’re up to it.”
   “Try me.”
   “Don’t say that. Really.”
   Tia felt the same pangs of unease that had bothered her in potions return, but disgust overrode them all. “Look Barlow, I’m sick of your ‘I’m more evil than you’ act. Just take it somewhere else.”
   Camden smiled happily. “Okay. I will.” He turned and meandered slowly down the hall.

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 06:26:46 PM »

oo. creepy.

and I said I want Kerry to be my BFF. Best Friend Forever. Don't ask, it's just said alot within my group of friends.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 06:55:35 PM »

Ah. Right. Very good. Sure. Anytime. Keep him. *grin* Just, ah, don't blame me when Tia comes after you like a dragon out of....um....Hades. :) Yeah, she's petty like that.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 07:46:54 PM »

LOL.  ;D

I like it a lot. ^_^

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 05:41:40 PM »

It didn’t end there. Strangely, Tia had kind of thought it would. The pranks stopped, but something else started. Something she couldn’t quite place at first, but as the days went on it became clearer and clearer. Her housemates started avoiding her. No one wanted to sit next to her in class. This wasn’t really strange, but before it had been more of an indifference than an obvious avoidance. Getting the time of day from anyone wearing silver and green became an exercise in persistence. Whoever she talked to tended to look away, or worse, over their shoulder, as if they expected someone to be watching them. The second to last straw came nearly a week after her discussion with Camden.
   “Hey, Derrell, can I talk to you for a moment?” Derrell picked up his pace slightly without looking back. Tia’s heart sank. If Derrell, who was pretty much her best friend within Slytherin, wouldn’t talk to her, the whole situation might just be beyond hope. She hurried to catch up. “Hello!” she called. “Resident outcast requesting permission to speak to someone in a higher caste bracket?”
   It worked. Derrell couldn’t help laughing and turned around. “Tia…” he started.
   “What? You want to talk to me? Oh, sorry, I don’t have time right now…” She started to walk away.
   “Okay, okay! I get the point!” Derrell matched her stride. “I’m sorry!”
   “Tch. Accepted. Maybe.” Tia looked at him. “So you want to tell me what’s going on?”
   “Not really.”
   “Okay, scratch that. I know what’s going on. I want to know why.”
   “You don’t know why? You’re the one who started it.” Derrell sounded a little bitter. “You and your hero act.”
   Tia blinked. “Oh come on, that was hardly my fault…”
   “I know! But did you have to talk about it so much?”
   “I didn’t…”
   “Yes you…okay maybe you didn’t. Fine, let me say it straight. Did you have to brag about it to Camden? You knew he would hate it. You knew what type of person he is. You two have been at odds since first year! You knew exactly how he’d take it and you did it anyway. Then you two got in some kind of stupid practical-joke slash insult war that went on for a week and now he’s playing really dirty and all the rest of us are tangled up in it! Everywhere I turn it’s Camden bullying homework answers out of sixth-years, Camden telling first-years what forbidden spells he knows, Camden stealing people’s mail, Camden this, Camden that. I don’t want to sound melodramatic or anything, but he’s scaring the crap out of everyone. You couldn’t have hung on for a few more months, could you? Better yet, a few more years, and then you and he could blow each others brains out without…”
   Tia interrupted quickly. “Hey, ah, slow down there, it’s not like that.” Yet. She changed the subject quickly. “Since when have you let Camden push you around?” She asked, a little plaintively. Derrell shook his head.
   “It’s not that. I just don’t want to bother with it right now. I don’t need this right now. I’m having enough troubles as it is. I don’t want any more. If you haven’t noticed, Camden’s got the whole House against you in one way or another and I don’t want any part of it. But I don’t want any part against it either. I just want to catch up on my homework. So if that’s all you wanted to know…”
   Tia opened her mouth, then closed it again. That was, after all, pretty much what she had wanted to know. She nodded slowly and started to leave. She heard Derrell take one step as if to follow, then turn and head in the other direction. Tia found she could actually understand. She hadn’t wanted trouble with Seldon either, but that idiot Gryffindor had forced it on her. If she’d been able to she’d have turned her back on it just like Derrell. To avoid problems.
   Stupid Slytherins. Why did she have to belong to a House where everyone was only out for themselves? She bet if a Gryffindor was having problems they’d be overcome by other people trying to interfere and fix it for them. But no, in all the inhabitants of the lowest floor of Hogwarts, there wasn’t one person who could see beyond their own nose long enough to give someone else the time of day. It was like living in a dorm full of the blind, deaf and dumb. Especially the dumb. What Slytherin needed….what the House needed….Tia sighed, who was she trying to fool? What she needed was someone who didn’t think like that. Shouldering her bag more firmly, Tia went to find Kerry.

It took longer than she expected. He wasn’t in his common room, though at least the Hufflepuffs tried to be helpful. It was a cold and windy day outside, which meant most of the students were inside, and all the study halls were packed. Same for the library, the practice rooms and most of the unused classes. Kerry didn’t really like crowds, and Tia was thinking of giving up when she nearly ran him down around a corner.
   “Where have you been?” she asked, annoyed because when for once she wanted to have a serious discussion, she couldn’t find the only person she could discuss things seriously with.
   “Looking for you,” said Kerry matter-of-factly. “I wanted to ask you something about our potions homework, you see…”
   “Errgh, Kerry, not right now. I’ve really got to talk to you.”
   “But I’ve got to get to class in an hour and…”
   “This won’t take long, I promise.” Tia lied. Once she got Kerry talking, he’d forget about class, she was sure. “It’s important.”
   “Um…no more dark wizards, I hope?” he said, giving up and shoving his potions book back in his bag.
   “No no no. Um, not really. I mean, no!” she added as Kerry looked confused. “Look, let’s go to the little room behind the kitchen, you know? I keep feeling like someone’s staring at me around here.”
   “Ah, that would be me. I’m a little confused here…”
   “I know I know, come on.” Tia grabbed his arm and started to drag him after her, but they didn’t get very far before she caught sight of Leslie Fisher heading down the hall towards them. Kerry almost knocked her over as she stopped dead. “Oh man, not now.”
    Leslie, however, didn’t look at all surprised to see her. The two Slytherin girls stared at each other for a moment.
   “Back with the Hufflepuffs, I see.” Leslie said. “I’m sure you find their company more to your liking.”
   Kerry looked at Tia, then at Leslie, and backed away a couple of paces, looking utterly confused. “Hey, now. What’s going…” he started.
   “Oh, shut up,” said Leslie. She turned back to Tia. “I want to talk to you.”
   “So talk.” Despite the fact that Leslie was always hanging around Camden these days, Tia never found her very intimidating.
   Leslie’s eye’s flickered to Kerry and back. “Well, if it means so much to you to have your little minion around for protection…”
   “Minion?” Kerry asked. “Who’s a minion?” He took a step forward. Tia quickly stepped between him and Leslie. Kerry just had to pick this point in time to give his entire personality an overhaul, didn’t he.
   “Well?” she said to Leslie, who smirked.
   “You know, Camden doesn’t really like the company you keep.” It looked as if she had changed her subject at the last minute, but the effect was probably exactly what she wanted.
   “Camden? Camden doesn’t like it?” First Derrell, and now this. And she hadn’t gotten to talk to Kerry, which would have calmed her down. “You come hunting me down to tell me that he doesn’t like my friends? Him?” This was the last straw. Tia found her wand in her hand, not entirely without her realizing it, but close.
   “Yes.” Leslie eyed Tia’s wand carefully. “It’s giving the House a bad name.”
   “Giving the House a bad name? The House could use a few more names like that! Replacing a few I can think of!”
   “Do you realize what you’re saying?”
   “Cut the melodrama. I always know what I’m saying.” Not in the slightest, but it sounded good anyway. “You go tell Camden…go tell him…who died and made him Voldemort?”
   Leslie’s eyes widened. That’s right, Tia thought. I still have it. “Your kind of magic doesn’t scare me,” Leslie said, but her voice was different, louder.
   “Oh? What kind does then? Camden’s? His kind of magic? Well. Did I ever tell you my father was a Deatheater? No? Well let me educate you. Right. Now.” By this point, Tia’s wand was directly on level with Leslie’s left eye.
   “Are you threatening me?” Leslie snapped.
   “You tell me.”
   Leslie’s eyes narrowed. “Snape will hear about this.” Tia noted that now it was Snape instead of Camden. She ranked that up in her favor.
   “Good. Make sure you tell him exactly what I said.”
   Leslie hissed between her teeth, then spun on her heel and walked, quickly but without running, down the hall and out of sight. Tia counted slowly to ten, then let her breath out in a rush and sagged against the wall behind her. “Why?” she yelled at the ceiling.
   Kerry cleared his throat. “Should you really be capitalizing on your dad’s former position like you’re proud of it or something?” he cut in. Tia winced. When Kerry decided to hit someone, he hit hard, and out of nowhere too. What was his problem lately? She glanced over. He didn’t look angry, but his eyes were cold. Not again. There were some subjects she should have learned not to mention in front of him. Actually, that she shouldn’t mention in front of anybody. Actually, that was most of the current problem. She tried to breathe evenly.
   “Kerry, don’t get mad at me. Please? Not right now. Just…not now.”
   “I’m not mad.”
   “Yes, yes you are.”
   “Don’t tell me what I’m thinking!” Kerry snapped loudly.
   “Don’t yell at me!”
   “I’m not yelling!”
   Tia turned suddenly and sped off down the hall.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 05:27:32 PM »

--------------------------------------------------

Tia raised her head from her arms and stopped crying long enough to feel stupid. It was getting late. She really ought to go back and see how many points she could lose from Snape this time. Ought. She leaned back against the wall and sighed. She was, ironically, sitting on a griffin. The statue was pushed against the wall in such a way that the hollow formed by the wings and head was completely invisible from the floor. Tia had discovered this one night during an abruptly terminated raid on the potions supply room. Filch had walked right by her. Mrs. Norris, of course, could make the jump, but Tia had befriended Mrs. Norris some years before, and the cat had ignored her ever since. Which was about the best you could hope for from Mrs. Norris.
   Footsteps sounded down the hall. Tia froze; it was too late to be a student. Even if it was, she was kind of fond of this hiding place, and not terribly anxious to share it with anyone. Whoever it was stopped at the base of the statue.
   “Hey, Tia, you up there?” Kerry’s voice called. Tia sighed again.
   “No.” she said.
   There was a scuffing sound as Kerry climbed the statue’s side. He wrapped his arms around a wing and leaned over. “You crying?”
   “No.”
   “Ah.” He pulled himself the rest of the way up and sat on the griffin’s head. “I just thought I’d, um, apologize, but it can wait.”
   “You don’t have to.”
   “Well, yes, actually I do. I’m not allowed back in my common room otherwise.”
   Tia looked up. “What?”
   “Well, when I got back, Cynthia was just leaving. I swear, I don’t know how she does it, but she took one look at me and pushed me back out into the hall. ‘Oh no you don’t,’ she says. ‘You two are not going to start that again. Not this close to finals. You march right back there and apologize, or you can sleep in the hall tonight.’” Kerry shook his head.
   Tia almost smiled. “How cute.”
   “It’s not cute! She slammed the door right in my face, and the statue wouldn’t let me back in! I said the password about a billion times, I even tried last month’s! But no, even the Hogwarts stonework is against me. What could I do? So I went to the Slytherin rooms. ‘Go away, you stupid…oh, it’s you. She’s not here.’” Kerry mimicked Derrell’s voice perfectly. Tia giggled. “So I figured you’d be here.” He looked thoughtful. “Well, actually, first I thought you’d be in the lab study room, then the west balcony, then the basement storage, then the northeast tunnel behind the…anyway, I found you.”
   “Lucky you,” Tia said. Kerry grinned at her. “Okay, okay. Consider your apology accepted.” She shifted her position, fixing her hair. “I shouldn’t have done it anyway. But…” she paused, realizing that her problems didn’t go away just because Kerry wasn’t mad at her. “It’s been a bad week.”
   “I’ve heard that one before.”
   “Okay, not as bad as that, but…worse in other ways.”
   “Want to tell me about it?”
   “That’s what I was trying to do earlier.”
   “Oh. Well, better late than never.”
   “Yeah. Right.”
   “So what’s the problem?”
   “Slytherin House is trying to kill itself, and I started it.”
   “Oh.” Kerry was trying to look like he understood. After a moment, he gave up. “Explain?”
   “I am, I am. It started not too long after I…I mean, we…”
   “Whatever.”
   “…fought Seldon.” Tia stopped, glaring at him. “What do you mean, whatever?”
   “Whatever!” Kerry said again, emphatically. Tia recoiled slightly.
   “Okay…”
   “Just go on.”
   “I should never have tried to brag about it. I mean, it’s not an experience I’m particularly attached to…but…”
   “You got carried away.”
   “Yeah. But you see…when you say something like that to a bunch of Slytherins, all they want to do is top it.”
   “In other words, you’re surrounded by a bunch of masochists.”
   Tia laughed. “Er...no. I mean they want to…um, how do I say, be more evil.”
   “Eh? Now I’m confused.”
   “Let’s just say that when I said ‘My father was a Deatheater’ to Leslie, I half expected her to pop out with ‘Well, my father was Voldemort’.”
   Kerry looked disgusted. “Couldn’t you think of a better example?” He waved a hand, cutting her off. “No, no. I see your point.”
   Tia nodded. “That’s how it started anyway. Well, not quite. You see, one day after Defense Against the Dark Arts, Leslie, Brad, Patrick, Camden and I were discussing, er, curses.”
   “Why am I not surprised?”
   “Was that sarcasm?”
   “No.”
   “You’re just full of surprises lately, you know that?”
   “No.”
   “Hmmm.”
   “You were saying, about curses?”
   “Right. Well, somewhere along the line we started trying to think of what the worst curses were, in different categories.”
   “Well, that’s a fairly common discussion.”
   “You’ve never had it with a bunch of Slytherins.”
   “Point.”
   “So anyway, Camden…do you remember Camden?”
   “Short kid, wears glasses, smiles a lot, plays Chaser with brass knuckles?”
   “Er…yeah.”
   “I avoid him.”
   “Smart. Anyway, Camden starts making things up. At least I think he was making most of it up. You never can tell with some people. So after listening to him give examples of how he, personally, has experienced every horrible kind of spell you can think of, I…told him off.”
   “Told him off. Tia, you didn’t get started on one of those ‘my life sucks more than yours’ arguments, did you?”
   “Yeah, I did. I told him if he really wanted something to complain about, he ought to spend some time on the wrong end of certain dark wizards’ wands. Pretty much.”
   “Pretty much?”
   “That’s the, ah, gist of it. Look, I’m embarrassed enough without repeating what I actually said!
   “Ah.”
   “Well, I don’t think I’ve ever regretted saying anything so much. Camden got red in the face, and if you think he’s scary when he smiles, you’ve never seen anything like this. I thought any minute he was going to emulate Seldon and try to…well anyway, I might have panicked if Leslie hadn’t opened her big mouth right then.”
   “Oh. What did she say?”
   “‘If you think that was bad, you should have seen some of the things my mother did in her prime.’”
   Kerry flinched. “I think I see where this is going.”
   “Right.”
   “So what did you say?”
   “You think I said something?”   
   “How long have I know you?”
   “Heh. Well, I was going to say something, but Patrick beat me to it with some tale about his uncle.”
   “Oh.”
   “I think you can figure out where it goes from there.”
   “Oh.”
   “You’d be surprised how many Slytherins are related to dark wizards, have had run-ins with dark wizards, study dark spells, or personally got involved in the war with Voldemort at the tender age of, how old were most of us? Nine or ten?”
   “Surprised?” Kerry sighed. “Not really. Thought I might be surprised, I guess, to find out how many of them are telling the truth.”
   “I have no idea. It went way over my head after a while. And that’s saying something. You see, it didn’t stop with our little discussion group.”
   “Oh.”
   “The sixth years came back from class right about when Camden was getting, um, annoyed, and they latched right on to this contest, followed quickly by a couple of first year girls, who I know were making things up. Since it was dinner time by then, they carried the discussion down to the hall…where it was picked up by the entire House.”
   “Is that what was going on over there. I thought it was getting a bit noisy. And then you stormed out like that…”
   “Be glad you didn’t sit with me. Heck, be glad you haven’t even drifted in the general direction of the table for a while.”
   “Noted. So Slytherin House is in a whirl over who has the most evil parents, grandparents, second cousins and friends.”
   “I’m not done yet.”
   “Really.”
   “Well, by the time the conversation made it back to the common room, it had turned into thinly veiled references as to whose relatives had taught whom what.”
   “Huh?” Kerry unraveled that in his head. “Oh.”
   “Let’s just say that most of the younger students, and even some of the older ones, are now terrified of the other half of the House population, who appear to be ready to blast themselves and any bystanders into dark-magic-generated oblivion at the drop of a glove. Oh, and most of the people they’re frightened of absolutely love this image and so are encouraging it in every possible way. And Camden’s on top of it all, trying to out-evil everyone in sight. And succeeding. And did I mention he hates me?”
   Kerry rubbed his eyes tiredly. “And then I came along and yelled at you for saying…” he shook his head again. “Where have I been during all this?”
   “Studying.”
   “Ah. Better question; where have the teachers been?”
   “That’s simple…teaching classes, awarding and subtracting points, drinking tea, and carefully ignoring the cold war zone that was once Slytherin House.”
   “Ignoring it?”
   “Yes. Until someone dies, they’re going to ignore it. Don’t you see? They’ve inherited a House where the weakest, slimiest, most easily intimidated backstabbers are combined with the most ambitious, forceful, cruel and inventive dictators-to-be, and they haven’t got a clue what to do with it, so they’re going to leave it and hope that keeping those people pitted against each other will keep them from expending their energy on the more worthy inhabitants of other Houses. Or spawning another Voldemort.”
   “Er…Tia…you’re going way off again.”
   Tia banged a fist on the wing of the griffin a couple of times, but in a thoughtful sort of way. “Yeah, you’re probably right.” She knew she was over-reacting, but she really needed to vent. “They don’t mean to do it that way. I don’t doubt that Dumbledore and company have everyone’s best interest at heart. But how do you know that everyone’s best interest doesn’t involve keeping them separate from us?”

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 01:44:04 AM »

You know, I don't get half of this, but I like it anyway. :D :P
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2003, 01:36:53 PM »

((I don't blame you really, this is pretty disorganized. I apologize, but I don't care enough to fix it, seeing as it's hardly publishable.....I mean, if there was the slightest possibility I could make money off of it....I'd try harder, but as it is, well....I am a Slytherin after all.))

--------------------------

Kerry was quiet for a while, thinking. “When you say ‘them’ and ‘us’…which side do you put yourself on?”
   Tia stopped hitting the statue. “I was afraid you were going to ask that.”
   “You know me well.”
   She sighed. “Okay, I’ve told you the whole story. Now, how about I tell you what I’ve been doing.”
   “You mean, you’re not threatening the first years?”
   “Say that again and you’ll find yourself under this statue.”
   “Heh. Well, I doubt you were hiding under the bed.”
   “Precisely. Actually, there are a few of us who were just trying to keep our heads out of the acid, so to speak. Myself, because I thought I’d had enough dark magic for one term, Derrell because he’s trying to keep up his grades, Scott because he doesn’t think about anything other than Quidditch…you know.”
   “I’ll take your word for it.”
   “Well, that’s fine for Derrell and Scott, but I…”
   “You’ve put yourself too much in the public eye to stay out of the way.”
   “Yeah. Camden knows… I mean, he knows where I stand. He and I have never liked each other…and when he started getting, well, too big for his student status, I tried to um, put him back down. So he and Leslie and a few others are now determined to put a hole through my head. Figuratively speaking. I hope.”
   “Why them?”
   “Because they’re the ones who want to be top of the pecking order, and I’m in the way.”   
   “What, you?”
   “Eh, I kick people around a little.”
   “There you go again.”
   “Hey, it’s how you have to do it in my House, or you end up, well, as one of the slimy, backstabbing, desperate underlings. It’s hard to gain respect among Slytherins. I think I’ve worked pretty hard for it. And last year I kept the top place without a huge amount of effort…but this year…well…”
   “So you think it’s because of Seldon? What, it made you look bad or something?”
   “No. It made me look good.”
   Kerry stared. “What?”
   “Good. As in, not evil. As in, not trying to follow in the footsteps of a dark wizard. Like some people in my House.”
   “Really?”
   “What, did you think there weren’t any? Come on, Kerry!”
   “Well…”
   “You see. The only thing that’s kept people like Camden off my back so far is, they’ve thought I was in the same boat as them. You know, kind of, well, ‘I’m evil and repressing it for the sake of cultured living, but don’t cross me or I’ll blast you seven ways from north.’ Or something. I don’t know how they got that impression, but…”
   “Don’t give me that. You’ve cultivated that impression and you know it.”
   “Yeah, I guess so. A little.”
   “A little.” Kerry snorted.
   “Okay, okay, but the fact is, that reputation’s been broken now, partly due to the fact that I’ve managed to screw up everything I’ve touched this year, but mostly thanks to Seldon and my idiot inclination for getting involved. The reputations of certain others have been built up…in different ways…and…”
   “Camden’s trying to take over as Slytherin’s most evil character.”
   “Trying doesn’t cut it.”
   “And you begrudge him the position?”
   “Well, not as such, but…I don’t want to get shunted to the bottom of the heap, now that I’ve been on the top. And I definitely don’t want to be there with Camden in the lead.”
   “What goes on back there, Tia? For heaven’s sake…”   
   Tia held up her hands. “Whoa, it’s not like that…but, look Kerry, it doesn’t take a Cruciatus curse to make someone’s life miserable. Look at Snape. And Camden’s worse than Snape…this is me saying it. He’s always scared me a bit, but now…this guy is potential evil, and I think I’m in a position to recognize it. I don’t know why, from what lineage, what he’s capable of or who he knows…and I’m not looking too hard. I don’t want to find out! I don’t want another part in this sort of thing. Leave the glory hunting to the Gryffindors. All I know is…he’s got exactly what it takes to be a Deatheater if he was a few years older and Voldemort wasn’t…incapacitated. Or whatever.”
   “Um. Okay.”
   “You know, I don’t really care if you agree or not.”
   Kerry kicked the side of the statue. It echoed. “Hey, this sounds like the speech you gave me just before you ran off to get yourself killed last month, remember? Slow down. You were going to tell me what you’ve been doing.”
   Tia ran a hand through her hair again. “Right.” She’d been making it worse, that’s what. “I got a little ahead of myself. I didn’t form that opinion on a stupid argument and a creepy smile. Even after the whole stupid ‘my sister-in-law’s more evil than your sister-in-law’ argument, I was kind of ignoring the whole situation, my fault or not. This worked for about a three days…but I think ignoring it only encouraged him.”
   “Who?”
   “Camden! No, no, don’t say it, I’m still explaining, okay?”
   “Right.”
   “You see what really dragged me into it…I mean…it started when Camden changed the password. About a week ago.”
   “Um…so?”
   “Without telling me. He locked me out. It was a…I don’t know, power play?”
   “Er…”
   “Shut up and let me finish. Tell me how much I’m overreacting when I’m done, okay?”
   “Right.”
   “We’d be exchanging veiled insults for a week already, but….whatever. So I got Snape on his case, remember? I couldn’t let the others think he’d succeeded in putting one over on me, that’s like digging my own grave with that group. Then he stole my armadillo scales. Then I, well, made him look like an idiot in Charms. That really annoyed him, so he made some kind of veiled threats or something. Vague must be in style again. I told him to knock off the evil act and he…stopped. For a little while. I guess he was planning, because after that it got worse.”
   “Worse?”
   “You see, I told Camden to take his evil act somewhere else…so he did. To everyone else in the House. Remember how everyone’s currently either putting on their best evil face or scared out of their wits? Well, Camden’s worked all the would-be evil people over to his side while I wasn’t looking. And the scared people are continuing to be scared, and the others…well…don’t care enough to put their foot out where it might get stepped on. Like Derrell. He won’t talk to me now, not because he’s scared of Camden, but because it would be too much trouble.”
   “I thought you two were friends.”
   “Yeah I know, but I’m beginning to see different definitions of friends among different people. But that’s just more House analysis and I don’t feel like it right now.”
   “Really? And you accuse me of not sounding like myself.”
   “Whatever, so anyway…”
   “There’s more?”
   “Well, not too much. I’ve been avoiding Camden like the plague, covering my bed with alarm spells, and messing up my classes from lack of sleep. I’ve been occasionally playing the Ravenclaw and attempting to reason with people or, failing that, the Hufflepuff and calm them down.” She grinned weakly at Kerry. “I’m not nearly as good at it as you. So far all I’ve done is get everyone to ignore me even more.”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 01:39:39 PM »

((I've got to finish up this stupid conversation...boy did it drag on *Grrr*))

“I’m just surprised you tried. Usually you just tell them to shut up or you’ll hang them from a copper wire in a thunderstorm.”
   “Heh. But that’s what everyone else is doing.”
   “I see. And the last thing you want is to be like everyone else.”
   “Of course. Especially in this case. I mean, there’s a difference between threatening to kill someone to get them to shut up and go away, and meaning it. You know I wouldn’t actually…”
   “So you’d rather play the wrong chord and get on everyone’s bad side then pick a side and at least have safety in numbers.” Kerry went on, rolling over her attempts to justify herself in that calm, logical way he had. “Camden and company hate you because you’re not really evil, and the other people hate you because you’ve been pretending to be exactly so for five years.”
   “Um.”
   “So…is there anyone else besides me that you’re normal with?”
   “It’s not as much of a double life as you seem to think.”
   “Hmph. I suppose not.” Kerry rubbed his eyes again. “I suppose the only thing left to do is play Gryffindor and challenge him.”
   “Not on your life. My life, actually. I like it.”
   “So, you think he would actually try to kill you?”
   “Well…no. Not as such.” She didn’t really think he would, but…Kerry wouldn’t understand. Despite his own obvious fear and annoyance every time she mentioned her father…he didn’t seem to understand that other people could also be unreasonably afraid of someone. Well, less reasonably afraid anyway. Being afraid of Seth Raven actually had quite a few reasons behind it. “It would just be too much, um, trouble, to try to confront him. I mean, tests are coming up…there’s so much else to do…” She realized, suddenly, how much she sounded like Derrell.
   Kerry listened to her excuses expressionlessly. “I guess you’re still a Slytherin.”
   “Oh thank you. I was so worried. Come on, I thought pointless House analysis was my job.”
   “And who have I been spending way too much time with?”
   “Hah!”
   Kerry smiled again. “Okay so, as resident Hufflepuff, I have one last question.”
   “What’s that?”
   “Which is more important, what you look like, or what you do?”
   “Who are you, the sorting hat?”
   “Heck no, you think I want that sort of job? That rag gets blamed for every person who’s slightly outside the stereotype.”
   “Hmmm, yes.”
   “I’m just a Hufflepuff. This is my nature, remember? So which is it?” Kerry grinned at her from his perch on the griffin’s head. Tia looked back at him. What was he trying to get her to do? Her mind wavered and wandered off in another direction. Camden was going to be extremely annoyed when he heard her ‘message’ from Leslie. Tia didn’t really want to go back to the common room and face him, but it would look extremely weak to not show up at all. She absolutely did not want to fight him. She had a feeling that Camden’s brag wasn’t as much bluff as she pretended to Kerry. His grades were good, his observations and spells were accurate, and, despite his stature, he was extremely intimidating. She closed her eyes for a moment. Why was she so bloody terrified of this kid?
   Well, she wasn’t going to figure it out tonight, that was for sure. Her head was spinning, she was exhausted, it was way past legal hours, and even Camden had to be asleep by now. She’d figure it out tomorrow. Opening her eyes, she grinned at Kerry. She could try to be a little convincing at least.
   Tia vaulted over the statue’s wing, landed gracefully, brushed off her robes and tossed her head haughtily. “Why, looks of course.”
   Kerry laughed. “Can’t you be serious for more than one sentence at a time?”
   “Never.”
   He jumped down from the griffin’s head. “But really. Are you going to be all right if you go back tonight?”
   Tia’s smile faded slightly. She kept forgetting Kerry wasn’t as stupid as he let on. “Why? You want to come with me?”
   “If you want.”
   That caught her off guard. She almost said yes. Then the probable effects of dragging Kerry along caught up with her. “Nah. I’ll be fine.”
   Waving, she walked to the end of the hall and, after peering around the corner to make sure it wasn’t occupied by, say, Snape, continued on towards the Slytherin common room.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 04:45:04 PM »

((Hello again, sorry about the delay for anyone who's still reading :) ))

The blazing white ball of magic came tearing towards her, sending off sparks. Tia’s shield wavered and then glowed brighter as the spell struck it full force. Suddenly the barrier flickered and exploded, sending her staggering backward, directly into the teacher’s desk. It slid a couple of feet, but still managed to offer support.
   “Barlow!” A voice rang out. Camden smiled and turned lazy eyes towards the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
   “Yes, Professor?” he said, without the slightest trace of guilt. Tia was too busy regaining her balance to strangle him. Camden had indeed been annoyed by her telling him off through Leslie, and today was the result of it; he was back on the offensive. Boy was he back. Tia found her feet again with difficulty.
   “This is practice, Barlow, not dragon slaying,” the teacher was saying. “That spell had enough force behind it to knock out a Norwegian Ridgeback.”
   Camden flipped his wand in the air a couple of times. “With all due respect, Professor, what is the point of learning defense, if we can’t practice it opposite something worthy of defending against? Dark wizards aren’t going to be throwing ice cubes, after all. And of all the people in the class, I was certain Miss Raven, with all her experience, would be the most capable of…”
   Tia let out a hiss and launched herself from the desk towards him, but the teacher stuck out his arm and blocked her way. “I will be the judge of that, Barlow. Not you. Take your seat, and fifteen points from Slytherin.”
   Camden’s eyes narrowed briefly, but he continued to smile at Tia as he returned to his chair. She made her way past him and sat down next to Derrell. “You okay?” he asked. The first thing he’d said to her since the other day. She might have taken it as a good sign if she hadn’t been busy seething.
   “I’m fine.” Tia stared straight ahead, carefully avoiding looking at Camden, Derrell, or the teacher.
   Derrell whistled softly, but said nothing else. The teacher retrieved his lecture from the shambles of his desk and continued with the lesson, complete with new emphases on safety and propriety. He kept his eyes on Camden the whole time.

“Nice block, Raven.” Camden said, lounging in the doorway as Tia exited the classroom.
   “Wish I could say the same for your shot, Barlow,” she countered, brushing past him. He followed her.
   “Yes, I was a little disappointed. Next time,” he said, in the same cheerful tone of voice. “I’ll improve it.” Tia kept walking. Behind her, Camden whispered something to a companion. Tia felt the itch between her shoulder blades that indicated a spell being targeted. She froze. He wouldn’t dare, not right in front of a classroom!
   Camden burst out laughing, and the itch stopped. Tia tightened her fingers around the strap of her bag and continued down the hall. Once safely around the corner, she took off like a rocket, through the near-empty hallways between her and transfiguration. She wasn’t about to be caught in one of them, alone. Reaching the next class, she burst through the door, slammed it behind her and leaned against it. Professor McGonagall was nowhere in sight.
   “Oh great.” Tia said out loud.
   “What was that?” The Professor suddenly appeared from the back room. “Ah, if it isn’t Miss Tiamat Raven. You’re early today.” Tia tried not to look relieved as she headed for her seat. For once, McGonagall’s use of her full name didn’t annoy her. The Professor watched her sit down. “You know, Miss Raven, I don’t believe the door has to be locked during class time,” she said, finally. Tia turned around. The latch must have fallen shut when she hit the door. Groaning, she got up, opened the door very slowly, and sat down again, quickly. The teacher went back to arranging things on her desk. Tia opened her book and pretended to look through the lesson as the rest of the class began to arrive. A chair leg scraped behind her.
   “That was fast,” said Camden, leaning over her shoulder.
   “Go away[/i,” she hissed back at him.
   “But all the seats are taken!” he protested. “I guess I’ll have to stay.” He sat down. Tia thought she could feel his gaze on the back of her neck the same as she could feel the spell before. She imagined him smiling as usual, his wide, innocent blue eyes staring through the circular panes of his glasses, on which the light always seemed to glint just so.
   Why did this guy bother her so much? He used the same lines, the same tone of voice, that she had used herself on countless occasions. That she used to…well… intimidate people. She rested her forehead on one hand. Behind her, Camden snickered. No. She’d never been that…calculated. She was sure of it…wasn’t she? She’d have to ask Kerry. He’d give her a straight answer. All she had to do was make it through this class. At least it wasn’t the type of class where they practiced on each other. What had he hit her with anyway? She hadn’t recognized it at all. Of course, she’d been concentrating on maintaining her defense, because she knew he was going to…
   “…which we would begin, if certain people did not have the attention span of a goldfish.”
   Tia jumped, and her face flushed. “Ah…what?” she managed, knowing it would only compound the problem. Camden snickered again.
   “Would you demonstrate?” Professor McGonagall asked, not helping. Tia looked around quickly, scanning the boards. What had they been doing? Oversized animals, they’d been doing that all week. It had to be something large. Reptiles. That was it. Large reptiles from furniture. McGonagall liked furniture. Tia nodded, trying to look like she wasn’t confused, and walked over to a couch in the corner. Now, how to go about it? She’d completely missed the introduction.
   Well, when in doubt, improvise.
   “Er….serpensauria transmutatus?” With that hesitant tone of voice, Tia was sure nothing would happen, so she was extremely surprised when the couch practically leapt into the air as it changed. A cloud of sparks, indicative of an imperfectly cast spell, enveloped the area.
   From the cloud exploded a seven-foot long, vaguely reptilian collection of teeth and claws that leapt straight into the air over Tia’s head, and caught hold of the chandelier. There it hung, hissing loudly, until it dropped, twisted, and landed on Leslie’s desk, menacing her with six-inch claws.
   Tia had realized her mistake almost from the instant the spell actually worked. Running forward she aimed her wand at the creature, just as it let out an shrill cry and dove forward.
   “Immobilus!” she shouted, and heard it echoed by McGonagall. Two spells hit the creature from opposite sides, leaving it dazed and hanging in mid-air. Leslie squeaked and dove out from under the talons, fleeing to Derrell’s desk.
   Tia lowered her wand slowly, and realized her hand was shaking. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself before anyone noticed. How could she be so stupid? What if she’d been a second slower? She didn’t much like Leslie, but that didn’t mean… she heard McGonagall come up beside her, examining the trapped creature. Tia desperately tried to compose an excuse.
   “I believe that is a dinosaur,” McGonagall stated, her voice clipped.
   “Yes?” said Tia, mind blanking again.
   The professor turned to her. “Does it look like a lizard to you?”
   “Well…” Tia started, hesitated, failed to stop herself, and started again. “That’s a debate that’s been raging for years. I don’t think I could really do it justice in the remaining class time.” A few people giggled.
   McGonagall stared at her. Her eyes remained angry, but suddenly Tia caught a slight twitch at the corner of her mouth. The teacher seemed to reconsider her words for a moment, then spoke. “Would you mind getting rid of it? If it wouldn’t be too much trouble?”
   Tia couldn’t believe this. “I could…summon a meteorite, that would probably do the trick…”
   McGonagall’s mouth twitched again, and some of the fury went out of her eyes. “A normal dispelling would be fine,” she said.
   Tia looked at the dinosaur. It looked back at her, sixty million years of pent-up hunting instinct straining against the bonds that held it, and against the fact that two minutes before it had somehow been a piece of furniture. Tia tried to think about the necessary procedures to return it to that harmless state, without breaking the holding spell, or having it end up as something else, like a giant squid. She raised her wand, watched the end quiver for a minute, trying to focus on the beast’s eye…and lowered it again.
   “I don’t know how.” she said, quietly. Professor McGonagall nodded and raised her own wand. The dinosaur was levitated to the corner and returned to love-seat status in an instant. Tia was headed back towards her desk when the professor cleared her throat behind her. She turned.
   “And…” McGonagall started. Tia looked at her, hands clenched at her sides again as the whole class waited, some with a fair amount of enjoyment. To her immeasurable surprise, the teacher reconsidered again. “See me after class.” She said, and turned away. Tia sank into her chair, too grateful even to care that Camden was still laughing softly.

stormymind

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2003, 03:54:05 AM »

Wow! That was mean, I can't waite for the next bit. Your so good at this roleplay thing!  ;D

Lauren Weasley

• Gryffindor
  • Graduate
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 12:15:10 PM »

Oooo, good chapter. Write more soon!

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 10:48:05 PM »

((*brzt* Tia here, signing in *brst* Houston, we're having file problems *brst* over and out. Grrr....I'm going to kill my computer. Anyway, I fixed it. Lucky you. :P ))

As the other students filed out, Tia made her way to the front desk, back in control, she hoped, of herself. “Professor?”
   McGonagall turned to her, but she seemed somewhat less harsh than usual. “Miss Raven,” she said. “Next time, admit you don’t know before you cast the spell, not after.”
   Tia shifted her balance. “Ah…well…”
   “The correct response is. ‘Yes, Professor’ or ‘I’m sorry, Professor’.” McGonagall urged.
   “I’m sorry?” Tia tried.
   “Better.” The professor shook her head and sighed. “I don’t know what it is about students, who are so obviously here to learn, that makes you so reluctant to admit that you don’t know yet.”
   Tia didn’t really have an answer for that, but McGonagall continued before she had to think of one. “Since your surprisingly quick reactions averted the disaster that could have happened, I will not take more than ten points from Slytherin.” Tia stared. Did she just a get a compliment from McGonagall? And did that same McGonagall just pass up a chance to toss Slytherin down the slope? “However, I’d like to stress a couple of points. One, making up random spells is extremely dangerous and I must impress upon you that the consequences could be far more severe than they were today.
   “Two,” and she actually gave half a smile at this. “While I realize your smart remarks are somewhat calculated to relieve stress, they are not appreciated in all situations.” She raised an eyebrow at Tia, who suppressed an urge to giggle. She couldn’t believe this.
   “Yes, Professor,” she said instead.
   “That aside, I must admit to being impressed. After your forest-bound activities, we had all hoped you were done with surprises, for this year at least.”
   “So was I…” Tia was surprised at the amount of chagrin that leaked into her voice. McGonagall watched her, as if waiting for something.
   “Is that so?” she said. She scrutinized Tia carefully for another minute. “If something is going on, Miss Raven, you come see me first. No tearing off on your own this time.”
   Tia looked up. Her desire for someone to know about Camden warred with the unspoken Slytherin rule that you never went to teachers about House members. Never. She shook her head. “Nothing. Just…a little stressed over OWLs. You know?” She smiled at McGonagall. Besides, the last time she assumed the teachers didn’t know anything, it almost got her killed. McGonagall probably knew all about it, and was just waiting for Tia to say something so she could point that out. She started to head for the door instead, and was stopped by the uncomfortable feeling that Camden was probably waiting right outside it. She spun back around.
   “Perhaps, Professor, if you’re not busy…you could help me understand what I did wrong?” Tia couldn’t believe she’d gotten to the point where she preferred McGonagall’s company to someone else’s. The teacher looked just as surprised, and just a little suspicious.
   “Well, I have nothing else to do at the moment. I suppose I should be grateful that a student is actually asking for clarification under their own power.” McGonagall tapped her fingers thoughtfully on the side of a book as Tia pulled a chair over to her desk.. “Your basic problem, Miss Raven, is a lack of control, and I don’t mean your tongue this time.” Tia managed to control that for once, and remained silent.
   “Yes,” continued the teacher. “An excess of power, and a lack of control. By all rights, that spell, misspoken, should have done nothing.” Tia nodded. “But you, whether unconsciously or by some bad habit created years ago, have a tendency to put so much extra force behind things that all that extra energy has to go somewhere, and so you get random effects, like today.”
   Tia looked down at her wand, resting on the desk. “Oh,” she said, unhelpfully. McGonagall sighed and continued.   
   “If it helps, your father had the same problem.” Tia’s jaw almost dropped, as she turned to stare at the professor.
   “And that’s a good thing?” she blurted out without thinking, involuntarily shoving her chair back from the desk.
   “Calm down, Tiamat. I wasn’t passing judgment, merely pointing out a family trait.” Tia was so busy being shocked that she nearly missed McGonagall’s use of her first name. Then she jumped and stared anew. What was this? Had she passed some sort of unwritten test by asking for help?
   “Professor…” she started, but McGonagall simply walked over her protest without explaining anything.
   “Yes, your father had plenty of power. And it was your mother who provided the control. They worked well together, up until he decided to join with You-Know-Who. But in the end, it was your mother, with her expertise, who won out against your father’s superior strength. Understand?”
   Tia blinked. McGonagall had hit close to home, but she’d certainly got the point across. “Ye-es..” she agreed slowly. The professor smiled.
   “Good. Now, let’s try that again, shall we? And this time, try to keep it somewhere in the current millennium, yes?”

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 10:54:17 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------

Whatever test Tia had passed in McGonagall’s book that day, it bought her an outlet she had never even considered before. She found herself hanging around after every transfiguration class, and after a while it was actually more to talk to the professor than to avoid Camden. With very little socializing currently available, she started pouring effort into those practice sessions more than anything else. After a while, even the hard-to-impress McGonagall declared an improvement.
   Camden did not like it. As Tia’s tutoring increased in frequency, so did Camden’s appearances. When she least expected it, she’d find him behind her in the hall. He spread rumors about her telling McGonagall House secrets. And lately he was…   
   “Tia? Are you okay? You look a little ill.”
   What?” Tia looked down at her companions. She was hovering near the ceiling of a practice room, supposedly attempting to extract their latest charms experiment from a crack in the woodwork. Kerry and Cynthia were her study group for pretty much everything now.
   “Well, you’ve been up there for almost ten minutes now, just kind of staring at the ceiling. I thought you might be dizzy or something,” Cynthia continued. “You don’t get airsick or anything do you?”
   “Airsick? Me? Hmph.” Tia finished retrieving their ball, which was now square and very sticky, and descended. “I’m just a bit tired.”
   “Camden still on your case?”
   “Who’s Camden?” Cynthia asked. Tia glared at Kerry, who looked embarrassed.
   “Slytherin’s current demon spawn in training,” Tia explained, tossing the ball onto the table.
   “Oh, he’s been upgraded since last we talked.” Kerry raised an eyebrow at her.
   “You better believe it. He’s back on the direct offensive too, and it’s worse than before.” Tia prodded the ball with her wand, frowning.
   “What’s he doing now?” Kerry moved to stand next to her.
   “Well…”
   “Hey guys, I’m still in the room.” Cynthia broke in. They looked at her.
   “You could always leave.” Tia suggested.
   Cynthia rolled her eyes. “You’re not mixed up in anything stupid again, are you? I mean, really stupid?”
   “How do you define really stupid?” Tia asked facetiously.
   “That’s it, I’m staying.” Cynthia plopped down at the table in front of Tia.
   “Fine.” Tia picked up the open book. “Next we were going to test the affects of rotating the object on the ease of…”
   “Okay! Fine! I’m leaving!” Cynthia gathered her books. “But if you get in trouble I’m not bailing you out this time.” She turned and flounced out the door. Kerry watched her go, drumming his fingers on the table.
   “You know, last time you complained that you were running out of people to talk to. Did you really need to narrow it down to one?”
   “Yes.” Tia hit the ball with her wand and it popped back into normal round, blue, non-stickiness.
   Kerry sighed. “If you say so.”
   “I do. Did you know one of Camden’s biggest things is that I hang out with you guys all the time? It’s quite the topic of ridicule.”
   “It never bothered you before, and they’ve always laughed at me.”
   “True, but before was different. Now, well…I don’t need to make Cynthia a target too.”
   “Very noble and all that.” Kerry shook his head. “You’ve been thinking too hard again, haven’t you.”
   “Did you really think it took me ten minutes to get that ball down?”
   “No. What were you thinking about?”
   “Camden.”
   “Well, no kidding. Look Tia, either give me a straight answer or I’m following Cynthia.”
   “Go ahead.” Tia snapped with a lot more force than she intended. Kerry almost jumped.
   “Tia…”
   “Sorry. I didn’t mean that. I’m just…nervous.” Tia rested her elbows on the table and dropped her head between her hands. “It’s getting worse. Camden…he’s starting to make real threats. I mean real ones. At least I think they’re real. I can’t ever be quite sure, that’s the problem, but…” She fell silent. After a moment she looked up. Kerry was staring at the table. Tia swallowed her words. Scared. She was scared, but when it came down to it, she couldn’t for the life of her admit that to Kerry. “I know, you think I’m overreacting again.” She said instead. He continued to trace patterns on the table with one finger.
   “I don’t know,” he said finally. “Are you?”
   “I already said! I don’t know myself, but…I know he’s at least partially serious. I found poison in Ember’s food last night.”
   “What!?” Kerry sat up straight. “Is she, I mean…”
   “She’s fine. Emmie’s smarter than that. She stays out of Camden’s way and catches her own food. But do you see what I mean now?”
   Kerry looked angry. “I don’t know. I don’t know if that’s really evil or just petty. But I do know one thing. You need to tell the professors.”
   “No.”
   “What? Someone’s going to get hurt! What if he doesn’t stop at cats?”
   “No! Going to the teachers on a House member…that’s just not done! I have to fix this myself. If Snape or McGonagall comes in and sorts it out, it’ll be the same as saying Camden wins. It’ll prove I’m incapable of...of…well something. Taking care of myself.”
   “Tia. You’re fifteen. You’re a student. You’re not supposed to be taking care of yourself.”
   Tia looked at him blankly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. This is where it all starts, isn’t it? Failing here, and I don’t mean tests, is like putting up a sign to all those future dark wizards in Slytherin. It says ‘walk all over me.’ I will not turn out that way.”
   Kerry looked away, across the hall. He was quiet for long enough that Tia started to feel uncomfortable. Eventually he spoke. “Okay. I understand, sort of. I’ll let you handle it. But Tia…if something really bad happens, promise me you won’t let it turn out like it did with Seldon.”
   “Of course not. You think I want that to happen again?”
   “Point.” Kerry didn’t sound convinced, however.
   “I’ll be fine, Kerry. Take it easy.”
   “This must be some new definition of easy that they just added to the dictionary.”
   “Yeah, it’s in the third edition, didn’t you notice?”
   Kerry threw the ball at her.

stormymind

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2003, 11:28:03 AM »

AW, the poor cat! Cadmen is so evil. Grrrrrrr  >:(

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2003, 02:20:37 PM »

Camden may be evil, but boy was he fun to write...

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2003, 07:07:44 PM »

((Yay! I just took my last final *dances* I'm so relieved. So I figured I'd go back to tormenting Tia....hehe...))

“Come on, Tia, I know you can fly. We really need another player.” Scott doggedly tailed Tia down the hallway, repeating the argument for the fiftieth time. For some reason, Scott had turned out to be the only Slytherin who had no qualms about talking to her. In fact, he seemed totally oblivious to everything else going on around him. This was because Scott only thought about one thing.
   “This school’s full of Quidditch junkies…just grab a random person from the hall and boom, you’ve got a willing player.” Tia couldn’t believe he was still bothering her about this with her current standing with the rest of the House. How in the world could he be so dense?
   “But we need someone from Slytherin!”
   “Get Derrell, he loves the game. Can’t shut him up about it.”
   “Only one problem. The only time I’ve seen Derrell on a broomstick he was facing backwards and flying it into the greenhouse on a dare. There were snapdragons all over Hogwarts for weeks.”
   “Heh…wonder who dared him.” Tia looked blankly at the ceiling.
   “Innocence doesn’t suit you.”
   “Neither does Quidditch, but that doesn’t seem to bother you.”
   Scott sighed. “Okay look. Our three best players graduated last year, so we have three rookies. Two second years and a third year and all three of them currently terrified of the rest of the team. Lester’s so terrified, actually, that he’s almost refusing to get back on his broom. There’s no one else who looks even remotely competent in the House right now. We could grab random students and hope for something good next year, but meanwhile we’d end up looking incredibly stupid when we lose horribly this year.”
   “Forget it.”
   “We got Leslie, but she backed out after two practice sessions.”
   “So go bother her again.”
   “No way! She just wouldn’t work.”
   “Why not?”
   “It’s Leslie, remember?”
   “Point. But I’m still not doing it.”
   “For the sake of Slytherin’s honor?”
   “What honor?”
   “Right…well…”
   Tia stopped and Scott almost walked into her. Her argument-without-thinking mode shut off abruptly. “Camden’s on the team, isn’t he?”
   “Well…”
   “How much is he paying you to get me up in the air with him?” She thought about some of her most recent comments to Camden. She couldn’t keep her mouth shut and it was backfiring most of the time now.
   “He’s not…”
   “Oh, I see how it is. He doesn’t need to pay you.”
   “Argh!” Scott flung his hands up. “What do I have to say? That’s not the reason. You know I don’t care one bit what Camden is…doing…not doing…whatever. I just want to win the tournament this year. And, aside from what he wants, you’re the only person who’s not going to be afraid to fly with him.”
   Not afraid? Of Camden on a broomstick during a game where injuries were commonplace and not really penalized? Tia hoped the hallway was dim enough that Scott couldn’t see her face change color. “Of course not.”
   “Come on, Tia. If you must know, we’ll never win otherwise. Camden and Robert have the rest of the team so terrified that they’ll never do anything….and he doesn’t care. He’s having so much fun freaking out the others, that…”
   “I get the point.” Tia considered. Flying on the Quidditch team, at least temporarily, might be just the thing to get her back in good standing with the rest of the House. Not to mention prove to Camden that she wasn’t afraid of him. “I don’t have a broom?” she gave it one last try.
   “We have extras.”
   “I wouldn’t fly one of those if my life depended on it.”
   “Tia! Come on! Where’s that Slytherin spirit? Rig something up already!”
   Tia sighed, this was not going right. Why didn’t she just refuse and walk away? She didn’t need to argue with this guy…but…she had a sneaking suspicion that some small part of her really wanted to do it. Drat. “I bet you don’t really need me. You’re just doing this to be annoying.”
   “Trust me, we need you. Wait ‘til you see the rest of the team.”

The Slytherin team did, indeed, need help. The team was made up of Camden and Robert as the old players, and Julie, Lester and a kid everyone called Metro in some kind of second-year-wide joke that Tia wasn’t in on, as the new ones. Camden and Robert were standing off to one side making the younger players nervous, so that they huddled together at the other side of the field, whispering to each other. Scott was standing in front of Camden and waving his arms for emphasis when Tia walked onto the field. She scanned the situation again. It looked like it would be, counting her, seven very annoyed people up in the air with balls that could easily be classified as lethal weapons. Fun as an evening spent skipping rocks up to your waist in piranha territory. She sighed and wandered towards Scott.
   Camden’s eyes actually widened in surprise when he saw her. “What are you doing here?” he asked.
   Tia looked at her broom, then around at the field, the other players, the goal posts, and back at Camden. “Bird-watching?” she hazarded.
   Robert frowned and took a step towards her, but he was stopped by Scott. “Tia! You came! And you actually brought a broom. I didn’t know you owned one.” Behind him, Camden whispered something to Robert and smiled. Tia ignored him.
   “I don’t. I fished this one out of the dark forest.”
   “What? But why was it…you didn’t really…how?”
   “Why in the world would I tell you how I do things? Get some tact already, Scott.” Tia shook her head in mock sadness, grinning at him. Remember the Slytherin rules, kid. Everyone’s forgetting them lately, but that doesn’t mean you get full access to my secrets.
   “Oh. Well. Nevermind then.” He turned to beckon to the other players. Tia snickered. She hadn’t gone into the forest after the old broom at all, just stood at the edge and used an Accio spell. But if Scott wanted to think something else, that was fine with her.
   “Does that…thing actually fly?” Camden said, arriving next to her and scanning the worn-out looking broom.
   Tia looked at it. The straws were ragged and uneven and tended to stick out at odd angles. The handle was kinked and looked like it was trying to regrow leaves in places. She smiled. “Better than yours, I should think.”
   “I’ll believe that when I see it.” Camden said doubtfully. Tia shrugged and turned back to Scott as the rest of the team arrived. Tia watched Julie edge away from Robert and end up next to her.
   “Hey Tia,” she said. “Welcome to the team.”
   “It’s temporary,” Tia snapped. “Don’t forget, I hate this game.”
   “And on that vote of confidence,” Scott interrupted, glaring at her. “I think we should jump right into practice. You, ah, do know how to play, Tia?”
   Tia rolled her eyes. “It’s Quidditch, for heaven’s sake. We all fly around and provide useless but pretty colors while she,” Tia stabbed a finger at Julie. “Tries to catch that,” she pointed at the box with the snitch. “And everything’s over.”
   “You know, overestimating the importance of the Seeker is a common mistake among….”
   “Save the theory, Scott, you’re not going to convince me. Let’s go.” She hopped side-saddle on to her broom and let it float to cruising height before adjusting her position. Two seconds later Julie was next to her again.
   “What?”
   The second-year hesitated. “Camden’s plotting something with Robert.” She whispered.
   “Tell me something I don’t know.”
   Julie looked offended. “I was just trying to help.”
   Tia sighed. She supposed she should be glad that at least one other person was talking to her, but she was too nervous to really think about it. “Yeah, I know. Thanks. Now go away before they hit you too.”
   “Too late. Robert plays a mean Beater if you know what I mean. I hope that relic of yours can dodge.”
   “Better than I can,” Tia said cheerfully and let her broom drift away from Julie, just in time for Scott to float up.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2003, 05:33:14 PM »

“Okay, Robert and Lester are the Beaters, I’m Keeper and Julie’s Seeker, which leaves you, Camden and Metro as Chasers, got it?”
   “Whatever.” Great, she was supposed to cooperate with Camden.
   Scott sighed. Tia hoped he was regretting dragging her in already, but he didn’t say anything. Instead he handed her the Quaffle. “You start,” he said, and shot off.
   “Start what?” she asked the empty air, which was quickly filled by Camden.
   “You’re supposed to throw it.” He stated, knocking the ball from her hands and catching it. “Like this.” He beamed the ball towards the goal posts. Half way there it stopped, hanging in mid-air. Scott stared at it.
   “No magic!” he yelled.
   “What’s the fun of it then?” Tia called back. She let go and the ball dropped, hitting the grass with a thud.
   “I knew it was you.” Camden smiled again.
   “Are you still harping on that? Tch.” She looked at Camden’s glasses again and then shoved her broom sideways fast. A bludger shot past her, heading for the sky. “Hmm, nice try,” she mused.
   “Hey!” she heard Lester call from the other side of the field. “Who let that thing out? I thought we weren’t using them yet!”
   “No fun without them!” Robert retaliated, and sent the second bludger sailing towards Lester, who smacked it towards the stands. Robert followed it and Tia decided not to wait around. She shot forward on her broom towards Metro, who had retrieved the quaffle from the ground. He looked over his shoulder at her.
   “Don’t you bring them over here!” he called, and Tia looked behind her to see Camden following closely. She dropped towards the ground, turned and flew under him, causing the bludger which had been following her to veer off.
   From somewhere off to the side Tia could hear Scott yelling. “Hey! Guys! Get back here so we can plan the practice session.” Tia could have told him it was useless, but that would be wasting breath and concentration. Instead she looped around and came up behind Camden. As Robert shot the second bludger towards her she leaned sideways and the things flew past her towards Camden. He looked around at Robert’s shout and barely managed to keep control as the bludger tagged his broom.
   “Hah!” Tia yelled, the enjoyment of flying going to her head. Camden’s expression didn’t change. He simply dove at Metro, who was circling underneath in confusion, and snatched the quaffle, shoving the younger player off his broom. He leaned back and pitched the quaffle at Tia’s head. She ducked, sliding lower on her broom, and the bludger from the other side missed her shoulder by inches. It was starting to seem like there were six of those things instead of two.
   Camden flew underneath her, came up with the quaffle and prepared to throw again, as Robert closed on the second bludger. Tia swallowed and let the broom go with all it had.
   It shot forward with a jerk that almost cost Tia her balance. Leaning low she tightened her grip and felt the speed increase. Camden was left behind. With a turn so sharp it might have unseated her if she wasn’t prepared for it, she spun and accelerated again towards Camden. Sliding sideways, she avoided collision by a hairsbreadth and let her broom carry her on. Directly in front of her, Robert struggled to dodge, and Tia lifted the beater’s club from his unresisting fingers. Tucking it under her arm she finally let the broom slow down and brushed her hair out of her eyes.
   “Nice!” a voice came from above her. She looked up to see Metro staring at her in amazement. “Where did you get that thing?”
   “Er…” Tia floundered. “A broom closet?”
   Metro burst out laughing, but didn’t get a chance to comment further. “Whoa! Incoming!” he yelled and dove down. Tia flung herself after him and the bludger sailed past her yet again. “Boy have they got it in for you!” he commented, as Camden’s broom flew between them. Suddenly he winked at her, grabbed the club from her arm and swung it as hard as he could at the end of Camden’s passing broom. It hit, and Camden suddenly found himself spinning out of control. Just barely managing a landing, he scrabbled off his broom near the ground and stood there, breathing hard. Tia turned to Metro in astonishment. “Why…?”
   Metro looked at her as if she’d sprouted tentacles. “Two against one isn’t fair,” he said. “Especially when one’s a seventh year.” He gestured at Robert, who was joining Camden. Tia looked at Metro, then grinned.
   “Fair?” she asked. “Aren’t you a Slytherin? Hey Julie!” she called. The Seeker, who’d been hovering a little nervously above them, descended. “Metro here says two against one isn’t fair. So…how about we try three?” The second years looked at her, then smiled in sudden understanding. Julie raced off to relieve Lester of his club and Metro headed for a the nearest bludger. Tia spotted the quaffle abandoned on the ground and picked it up with a quick swoop.
   “Incoming!” she yelled, just after she let go of the ball. Camden turned just in time to get a quaffle in the chest. He stumbled backwards, then grabbed his broom and sped after Tia’s quickly retreating form. Too quickly. Suddenly the space between them was filled by Metro, who sent a bludger he had captured straight towards Camden’s head. The fifth-year dodged it by going into a downward spin, only to be cut off by Julie and the second bludger. Rolling frantically to the side, Camden bowled straight into Robert, who was chasing after Metro and his club. The two boys flailed in the air for a moment, and then dropped like lead charms experiments. Tia almost cheered. Above her, Julie did.

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2003, 05:36:20 PM »

Scott, finally finding his whistle, blew it stridently. “Enough! Practice is over! I should have known better!” His broom paced Tia’s. “What did you do? You couldn’t just try to get along for one session? One?”
   “Hey! Don’t go there, Scott. Camden started it and you know it!” Metro swung past, on his way back with one of the bludgers.
   “Yeah,” Tia agreed, enjoying the support for the first time in weeks. “You know it.” She landed her broom near where Camden and Robert were picking themselves up. Camden brushed off his robes and glared at her. The glare hardened as Julie and Metro landed behind her, followed a little hesitantly by Lester.
   “So you’ve replaced your Hufflepuffs with a pack of underclassmen, eh Raven?” Camden hissed. “I’m so impressed.” Tia heard Julie shift nervously behind her.
   “No. I’ve added them to my Hufflepuffs. It’s kind of like a butterfly collection.” Tia leaned against her broom, floating next to her. “Want to join?”
   “Certainly not. I’ve been thinking of starting one of my own.” Camden brightened. “Perhaps we should compare sometime soon.”
   “Any time. But I don’t think there’s really any comparison.” She pretended to pick dust off her robes.
   “Is that a challenge?” Robert snapped, reaching for his wand.
   Tia eyed him with distaste. “Not to you.”
   “She couldn’t possibly be talking to me.” Camden speculated. He looked around the field as if someone else might be hiding in a corner.
   “You bet she’s talking to you.” Metro broke in angrily. Tia had to try really hard not to turn around and hit him. She really didn’t need misplaced confidence right now. Especially not of the blunt second-year variety. She glanced at Camden’s face. He was positively beaming now. So much for trying to battle this out with analogies and hints. Thanks Metro. I swear, if I get out of this I’m going to kill you.
   Camden looked like he had the same idea as he glanced at Metro with interest. “I’ll remember who talked to me next.” He said simply, and turned back to Tia. “Don’t be stupid,” he continued bluntly. “A couple of second-years aren’t going to even up the class difference between us.” A took a few steps forward and his sky-blue eyes gazed into hers. “You know that.”
   “Yes,” said Tia, returning his stare with internal difficulty but external calm. “Perhaps you’d better get a couple more seventh-years to tilt the scales back in your direction.”
   “You know, I’ve just about had enough of word games. It’s obviously all you’re good at.” Camden’s gaze didn’t waver, but his voice dropped to a whisper. “I have more important things to think about than words, so I’ll tell you straight. Once. Back off. Or you’re going to get hurt.”
   Tia spun abruptly away, not trusting her expression much longer. “Don’t you tell me what I’m good at,” she whispered back, then catching sight of the others, continued louder. “And don’t make threats you can’t keep. I’ve seen worse than you at dinner parties.” Schooling her face once again, she turned back. “I’ve had enough of you self-important idiots trying to mess with my life. Take your problems somewhere where they don’t involve me. Understand? I don’t care. Who you are. What you know. Anything. You’re not frightening me, you’re just annoying. Now go away.”
   Camden adjusted his glasses briefly, but other than that seemed unaffected. “Nice,” he said. “But you don’t lie very well. Fine. I warned you. You’re going to regret continuing this.”
   “Try me.”
   He nodded and turned away, leaving the field. Tia watched him go and told herself sternly that she was not going to panic. Yet.
   “Hey. Good going.” Metro walked up next to her. “It’s about time someone shot him down.”
   Tia looked over at him. “You really think he’s down? Boy do you need lessons.” She sighed. “I’m going. See you around.” Picking her broom out of the air she headed for the exit. Scott caught up with her before she reached it.
   “Hey, Tia, um…”
   “What?”
   “That was…”
   “Don’t say it. That was ridiculous. I’ve just done what I thought wasn’t possible. I’ve gotten Camden even more annoyed at me.”
   “Well yes, but…the team seemed to like it. I mean, maybe they won’t be so, well, afraid to fly with him anymore, you know? So…sorry about yelling before.”
   Tia looked back. Metro and Julie were talking animatedly to each other, and Lester was taking practice swings in the air. She slapped a hand to her forehead. “Well, I’m glad someone’s happy with all this. Anything to help, and all that.”
   Scott laughed. “See you next practice, okay?”
   “Sure.” Tia didn’t have the energy to argue again.   

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2004, 06:23:56 AM »

o.O

Interesting ...
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

stormymind

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2004, 06:32:27 AM »

Tia is SO dead.  :'(

Tiamat

• Slytherin
  • Prefect
  • Sixth-year
  • Voldy-chan!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 10:36:57 PM »

I'm not dead. Not yet anyway. I just got bogged down by school and stuff, and I didn't think anyone was really interested anymore. (I have an anti-ego problem occaisionally...I demand commentary)

These sections take forever to format for posting...but if people are still interested, I'll keep going...I just thought I'd lost you for a while there ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up