Hogsmeade

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Closed.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fabrics (moved)  (Read 171 times)

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
Fabrics (moved)
« on: July 02, 2002, 09:02:54 AM »

Justina Creylin
completely random fabric trivia
OOC-hey, ya'll! been doing a research paper on medieval russian textiles and i ran across a few interesting facts...did you know that the egyptians wove linen on ground looms that had a thread count of as much as and even MORE than 650 threads per square inch while WE, with all of our modern technology and machines, can only achieve a maximum thread count of 320? fascinating, huh?

Madeleine
What kind of cloth do you think they'd use?
Does it say anything in the books about what kinds of cloth they use for the robes and such? They mentioned velour once, I think, but that was special...

For some reason, I really DOUBT they use polyester.

Lilith Demodae
Polyester must be destroyed!!!

No really, I'd use things like cotton, flannel, silk, wool, linen maybe for when it warms up.

Ping
Probably natural fabrics, but hopefully the school robes are reinforced with a bit of magic for all the spills and stains from Potions and Herbology.

Madam Malkin
Robes are made out of all sorts of things, for all sorts of work or special occasions. You've probably all seen Cornelius Fudge's pinstripe cloak - you can make robes and cloaks out of anything.

I once had a special order for some formal robes made of Italian Brocade - it was quite a project. One of the most flamboyant sets I've seen was beaded all over for the last Coronation. I've personally done velvet, silk, linen, that brocade of course, and some lovely thick Scottish wool.

I tend to work with natural fabrics because they breath and they last much, much longer. That poly-ester stuff is just terrible! Honestly, the things these Muggles come up with. Rayon is quite interesting, though, depending on how you drape it.

Oh, honestly! Look how I do go on. Sorry, dears.

Madeleine
Me, I'm fond of linen, silk, cotton, and sheery stuff. I also like a nice crepe for dress robes.

Madam Malkin
Actually, most of the children up at Hogwarts wear t-shirts and pants under thier robes anyway. The robes end up being put over anything they'd normally wear for the day.

Ping
Before the Quidditch game when Harry zaps Malfoy and Co. with his Patronus, it says he puts his wand down his shirt, which he's wearing under his robes.
I think it says things like this other time, too, but I'm not sure where.

Madeleine
Speaking of... Do all students wear hats all the time and are they the typical witches hat with the large brim and the point or what?

Lilith Demodae
I don't knnow, Mad. That's a good question. It is mentioned, if I recall correctly, that Harry was told he'd need a hat for everyday wear. I'm just not sure if it was a casual, sort of my might want to wear it everyday thing, or if it was a you -will- wear it everyday thing.

Ping
I think they wear them all the time, full brim, point, all that, although in simple black for the students, because they talk now and again about wearing their hats. *shrug*

Madeleine
Okay, that brings up another question. How do you see ANYTHING from the back of the classroom?

Sirius BIack
ok in book 4 on page 1 of chp. 17 (the four champions) there is a pic of harry...he has no hat on....that chp. takes place during a feast...

Madeleine
Interesting... Well if they follow English etiquette, I think you have to take your hat off at the table.

Sirius BIack
yeah, that's true, but how do you suppose you'd see from the back of the class.?.....

Lilith Demodae
Magic of course. They probably put the tall kids in the back and the short kids in the front so that seeing over the hats isn't as big a problem.

Madeleine
Stagger seating really effectively?

Professor Severus Snape
The classes are quite small, usually around 20 children all told. If you will recall, Mr. Potter's age group there were five boys, and considering that they double up with another house for classes, along with the girls from their own age group, it gives you a rough idea of how few children are in the same classroom at the same time.

I classes where visual contact is important, the class is arrainged to accommodate such.

Personally, I prefer to give those who are willing to sit at the front an advantage over the cowards who cringe at the back.

ADumbledore
*chuckles* I recall one year when I was teaching transfigurations, and one student got so frustrated with trying to see the front of the room that he tried to shrink the hat of the person in front of him. He missed, though, and the poor student he hit had to spend a month in the infirmary getting regrown to the right size. We changed the seating after that.

Lauren Weasley
the first DADA class with Moody, Ron, Harry and Hermione made sure they got seats in the front of the class, and as we all know my cousin Ron is quite tall (the opposite of me BTW) so they don't have assigned seats, at least in some instances.

Ping
I had forgotten about that. *sigh* I guess we'll find out later. I kind of run on the estimate that there are at most about 10 kids per year per house, so that's about (4 houses * 7 years) 280 kids at the school. Much safer than the 1000+ in my sophomore class many years ago.

[Most of the relevent topics, I think.]
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

becca

• Ravenclaw
  • Second-year Student
  • I'm a llama! HI all you other llamas!
    • View Profile
Re:Fabrics (moved)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 11:17:52 AM »

On the subject of how they see

from the back of the room, I remember in one sceen in the movie (in the class where they make feathers float) they have no hats on and the seats are on

different levels.  In all of te other classes they also aren't wearing hats and the back of the class wouldn't be so far away, there are only like 20 of

them.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sabriel Saraneth

• Ravenclaw Graduate
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • I Prefer PI.
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 03:19:55 PM »

Wow, thats very observant of you becca. Now

that you mentin that, I remember that too. Cool.  :)
Eat Pi. It's Mathematical And Delicious.

Lauren Weasley

• Graduate, Resident Artist and Quidditch Team Co-Captain
  • Gryffindor
  • Graduate
  • All must bow before the penguin!
    • View Profile
    • Patronus
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 04:42:02 PM »

oh yeah, like in the Charms class.

the desks were on different levels. good catch becca.
Pages: [1]   Go Up