Author Topic: Movies  (Read 1449 times)

Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #330 on: December 23, 2004, 02:19:01 PM »

I saw a Series of Unfortunate Events; that was good.

I saw HP3 in espanol last night: talk about funny! :roll:
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »

I sawa the trailer for Willy Wanka and talk about scary.  They made Johnny Depp look ugly, is that possible?
Over Grown Teenagerhttp://players.gamernic.com/Guinastasia/mydolls.html

Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »

For Christmas, I got (and have watched two times now) the extended ROTK.  It's awesome, of course, but I didn't think that the extra scenes added as much as they did in the first two.  My impression is that they were cut for a reason:  either stupid/corny or added nothing to the plot development, character development, or overall feel.

Anyone else seen it and have an opinion?
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2005, 08:44:30 PM »

I'd have to agree, Cho. I know some of my friends would be amused to find that there was nothing added in the last 20-30 minutes, since they felt it should have been cut down anyway. ;) But mostly the scenes felt more like more violence or just unnecessary for anyone but hardcore fans.

The thing that really intrigued me, though, was the change to the Paths of the Dead stuff. I can see why it was cut, but I can't quite see why was done that way at some point anyway. *shrug* But we all know I'm weird, and I didn't actually watch any but the new or extended scenes, 'cause I was short on time.

I just finished Tron today, and I'm in love with it. It has Bruce Boxleitner, which predisoposed me to like it, but I was just in love with the concept. It was a visualization of what programming is like. It was like the Matrix without the stupid stuff and the violence and with a good story. Hard to explain, in a way, why I feel that way. Perhaps because it was much more uplifting than Matrix, and felt in a way less heavy-handed with the symbolism. Or maybe just more obvious about it. Yes, these programs all think their users are like gods, basically, but they make no bones about it. And the user could do stuff in the program like Neo could in the Matrix, but I liked him a lot better. Maybe because I could feel the threat from the Master Control Program through the actor better than I could through Agent Smith.

So, anyway, yay Tron! :D
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »

I just got Napoleon Dynamite.  I enjoyed it, but I think it is geared for a specific taste.  At least now I understand all the Vote for Pedro shirts.
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

hairyhotter

« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2005, 03:18:13 AM »

My favourite movie of 2004 is spiderman 2, POA and the day after tomorrow. Did anyone catch those movies?

Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2005, 12:48:34 PM »

I liked Day After Tomorrow. :D Wasn't such a big fan of the other two, though ...
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2005, 12:52:34 PM »

I really liked Day After Tomorrow, too. I saw it in the theater, which was amazing with the special effects and whatnot. Wow... I need to get out more.

I kind of liked Spiderman, too, but I'm really into action/adventure and stuff.

PoA, of course, didn't grab my attention, but as it's HP, I'm obligated to like it... a little bit. :laugh:
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2005, 02:41:53 PM »

I liked Spidey 2. I thought it was neat that Peter got to make the choice to be Spiderman. That was cool. And the fact that he won, not with his spidey powers, but by being Peter Parker -- that rocked.

One Ping Only

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 14, 2005, 04:47:50 PM »

I would agree with you, Ping.  I thought it was pretty fun, and I, too, liked the element of meaningful choice.  I also liked it that Doc Ock did not die a bad guy, but had a chance to do something noble to make up for the havoc he created.  Again, I liked it that he had a meaningful opportunity to decide how he was going to respond to things, and he was not just a "madman."

hairyhotter

« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2005, 02:13:14 AM »

Seems like you guys enjoy watching spidey2! Well, I am a great fan of Spiderman!
Spidey2 is such an awesome movie. Which movie can pack drama, action and romance in a mere 2 hours? Spideyman does!

damselfly

« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »

Are we talking about movies this year? or last? Erhm. Phantom of the Opera, most recent was the best.

All time favourite is American Beauty and The Pianist.

Day after Tomorrow was good :) I really like Jake Gyllenhaal - still need to watch Donnie Darko, have heard soo much about it!

And erh, I've got a movie list that holds about almost 50 movies. Still haven't watched any.

Oh, and btw, I'm new.

Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 18, 2005, 01:10:11 PM »

I just watched Matrix Reloaded this past weekend and found it, erm, interesting.  I certainly liked the first one better, and I'm looking forward to watching Revolutions this coming weekend. 

I don't think I was as disappointed in Reloaded as I had planned on being, based on others' comments/complaints.  It was a bit confusing, I thought, and some of the dialogue was difficult to follow.  There were several plot twists that I liked (like the revelation about the Oracle and what the Source) had to say about the whole thing. 

Some of the techno/scifi was cool.  I don't know why, but I loved the "backdoor/corridor" scene.  I think it's just because I love the visualization of the computer programming world--ingenious, really.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2005, 06:00:34 PM »

I just watched The Village.  I really liked it.  I won't say too much more b/c I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but I highly recommend it (even if you don't like scary movies).

Moon_Beam

• Gryffindor
  • First-year Student
  • I'm A Uk girl
    • View Profile
    • Just Relax and Chill!
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2005, 03:22:11 AM »

My Fave Movie is the 3rd 1! I h8 the 2nd n the 1st isn't very good!
I think the 4th 1 ( When it comes out) Is gonna be gr8! They'll have to miss loads out of it thogh!
Don't kiss behind the fence! Love is blind but the neighbers arent!

AHD

• Hufflepuff
  • Third-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »

Now that it's out on DVD 'The Incredibles' is very good - also we saw 'Robots' last week - it was also very good - a lot of jokes that were directed at the 'grown ups'

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2005, 09:19:37 AM »

I'm hopefully getting the Incredibles for Easter.  *crosses fingers*  I just bought the first season of the Clone Wars cartoons on DVD.  I'm excited for Saturday when my fanforce can get together to watch AotC and the cartoons.  Okay, not excited about the AotC thing but the cartoons I am.

Cerberus

• Hufflepuff
  • Fifth-year
  • Bats aren't bugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2005, 01:42:04 PM »

Has anyone seen 'The Revenge of the Sith'???

I am a huge fan of Episode IV, V and VI. I've seen them about 10 times each, and  they're my favourite films.
Episode III, however, I've seen twice already, and although I loved it, I still have a few critisisms, such as:
1. The battle scenes in the middle were too long - you don't care about the baddy, so it's really just waiting without any fear (as you know Obi Wan will win) for the battle to end. The battles between Yoda, Darth Sidius, Obi Wan and Anakin though are AWESOME.
2. Some cheesiness -- granted, all of the Star Wars films have their moments, but some are good cheese, and others bad. In one and two, they're revolting, and in four, five and six, they're delicious. In Episode III however, we get a mix of both, so I suppose it could be worse, but... It could be better, too.

All in all however, I still found it wonderful (hence the fact I've seen it twice and may see it a third time) and I'd be interested to see what a another fan of IV, V and VI thought.
I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's expectations.

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2005, 05:56:12 PM »

AAARGH!  I haven't seen it yet, and it's killing me!  All of my friends have seen Episode III, and all they do is talk about it, so it seems like I already know over half of what happens.  I don't know about anyone else, but it really bugs me when people do that.

Anyway, I'd have to say that I agree with your comment about the cheesiness in I and II.  Especially in II, the stuff between Pamde and Anakin was a little bit much. But in Attack of the Clones, I did love the battle between Yoda and Count Dooku, mainly just because Yoda rocks.  I haven't seen the originals, because I want to see Episode III first, but I'll get back to you on that.  :)

For now, I refuse to hear anymore about Revenge of the Sith until I have seen it, preferably seen it twice.  *charms Cerberus, then covers ears*
"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #349 on: May 30, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »

I love Ep III. It rocks. I know it's got issues, but I love it all. Because I am a raving, slobbering, drooling Star Wars nut. There is no escape for me...

One Ping Only

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2005, 01:11:22 AM »

I agree with Ping. I loved Episode III, cheesiness and all. I finally got around to watching IV, V, and VI again this weekend, and I have to say that I really like the prequels better. A lot better.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see Episode III again on the big screen. I don't usually go see movies twice, but this one is worth it.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Marold

• Slytherin
  • Sixth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 05, 2005, 01:12:05 PM »

I've only seen RotS 4 times.  I know, I'm slacking as a fan.  My friend has seen it 6 times.  :'( But I was able to see it twice in the first 12 hours of it being out in Theaters so that makes up for it.  course I was up for 40 hours or so between all the showings and promotional things we did.

Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2005, 06:48:13 PM »

I just saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I really liked it.  I worried I wouldn't like Johnny Depp's version of Willy Wonka, but I liked it.  I got the Dr. Evil vibe a little more than I wanted at times, but still he was good.  The sets were amazing; the music was fantastic.  I highly recommend it.

Christine

• Hufflepuff
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2005, 08:14:56 AM »

Has anyone seen the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?  I really liked it, it was a pretty cute movie.  Plus, Alexis Bledel is awesome.  It's very chick-flick, though.

"Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                                                            -Obi-Wan, Star Wars

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

willow

• Hufflepuff
  • Second-year Student
  • look into my eyes, you will do my bidding now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »

what did you think to hitch hikers guide, some people think its amazing but im not so sure.... good? yes, amazing???
High ho! High ho! Off to boarding school I go.... The joys of life. Woopee.

Sirius Black

• Resident Bum
  • Gryffindor
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2005, 12:18:30 AM »

I'd have to HIGHLY reccommend...

Coach Carter - a good true movie about a coach and the influence he can have on a bunch of guys- not really about basketball.

Finding Forrester

Both good dramas.

SeaShelly3

• Prefect
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2005, 01:35:03 AM »

Ooh, I loved Finding Forrester. I never saw Coach Carter, though.

The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of my new favorite movies. I absolutely loved Johnny Depp's character. I can honestly say that it is the first movie I have ever seen that I liked better than the book, and that's saying a lot for me. I also just saw Million Dollar Baby, which was a very good movie. I'd recommend both.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up