Author Topic: Student Backgrounds  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
Re: Student Backgrounds
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2004, 06:26:27 PM »
Me too!I find that really strange ^^

Offline Heather

• Prefect
  • Hufflepuff
  • Seventh-year
  • Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »
10 points to Lady Venom for her background
Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Dawn

• Ravenclaw
  • First-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2004, 09:54:06 PM »
Dawn Libelle, father Leonard Libelle (he's german) and mother Carol Rich (definately english).  I get wizardry from both sides.  My mom's family is one of the great wizarding families from the Isle of Man, but she doesn't care much about that, since she married Dad and he's a half blood and all.  Dad works for the ministry in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and since he's pretty high up, he's got a pretty good salery.  We moved a year or two ago to this really great place that's next door to the Cariadoc's (Angharad's family).

As for me, there's really not much to say.  I'm very smart, but it's not because I care or anything.  I get into a lot of trouble for getting A's even though I really never study.  I get along well with people though.  I don't look all that special either.  I've got small eyes like my dad, really big smile like my mom.  I look a lot like my mom actually, it gets frustrating to hear about it all the time.  I'm small and skinny.  And I do believe that's all I can think of.

[Edited for Accuracy]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:15:56 PM by Dawn »
@~`~

Offline Eliza MacLaren

• Slytherin
  • First-year Student
  • We're better than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2004, 03:26:07 AM »
My name's Elizabeth MacLaren.  I go by Eliza, to avoid confusion with my mother, who goes by Beth.  I'm Scottish, and from respected wizarding families on both sides.  I'm the second eldest of 5 children, all girls save for my brother, Robert, who's the 4th child.  My father is a former quiddich player who now works for the Ministry in their Foreign Relations Office.  My mother stays at home with the children, but lately has taken on a part-time stay-at-home position handling the owl post for two lobbying groups the are losley affiliated with the ministry.  My family is upper middle-class.  We might not be as wealthy as the Malfoys, but we're nowhere near the level of poverty suffered by those Weasleys
I'm a rather tall girl for a first year, and have some meat on my bones... the result of years of sports played with my father, who was determined (until my brother came along) that either I or my elder sister had to continue his tradition on the quiditch pitch.  I have waist-length blonish/brown hair with a hint of red in it, and rainbow eyes.  They tend towards khaki-green or amber, but have been every color including blue, gray, teal, violet, coffee, gold, and even (on rare occasions) red.  I love flying, and took to it as though I had been born with that sole purpose (which, considering my mother's love of soaring and heights, and my father's obvious ability, perhaps I was). 
My favorite subjects are Transfiguration and Potions, though I tend to like all my classes and do fairly well in them, despite my strong dislike of homework. 
Some people were rather surprised by my placement in Slytherin... me amoung them.  But behind the innocent face and manners is a cunning mind.  You'll often find me in the library, though whether I'm reading for classes, pleasure, or just to find a new and better hex to put on you is anybody's guess. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:57:18 AM by Eliza MacLaren »
"O be wise; what can I say more?"  - Jacob 6: 12

Shizuko Cooper

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2004, 03:37:11 AM »
I'm Shizuko Cooper.  My father is George Cooper, and he's employed in the same branch of the ministry as Dawn's father, probably because of my mother.  She's a Japanese witch.  Technically she's a priestess, but for all practical purposes it's the same thing.  She has magic.

As for myself, I have to work hard to get good grades.  Mama and Papa expect them, and it's the least I can do to honor my family.  Quiddich doesn't really interest me, but I do like flying.  I'm 5'5" and have black hair and hazel eyes.  I need glasses for reading, but nothing else.  I believe that's pretty much everything.  I look forward to my stay here at Hogwarts, and I hope I can make the acquaintance of many people.

Offline YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2004, 08:08:50 PM »
YamNeo is a 5th-generation pure-blood; however, his family is not arrogant about their ancestry.  Several branches have mixed with Muggles, so he has lots of half-blood cousins, but he doesn't mind.

YamNeo is actually not his real name.  His real name is Theinandro Teleaiser De Malia.  YamNeo comes from two nicknames he had while in Muggle elementary school; Yami, because of a card game he liked to play, and Neo, because he favored Muggle films.

His family has no hatred towards Muggles, merely pity that they are not gifted with the same powers that we are.

His father, Dian Trunajin De Malia, works as an Auror.  His mother, Riryogi Tsurketo De Gren, works in Muggle Artifacts.

YamNeo has no real friends, though he makes many connections.  He likes to have access to as many people as possible, thus to have more material to succeed with.

He believes in using whatever tactics necessary to succeed, within reason.  For instance, he doesn't use bribery (a waste of good Galleons).

He doesn't trust easily, but when he does give that trust, he'll do and use whatever is needed.

He has a bat as his pet; he believes in stealth and use of the night.

His goals:  Make Slytherin, the house of his parents, the top house in Hogwarts; get top grades; become a successful wizard like his parents.  No particular career choice as of yet.

P.S.:  The reason for the weird names is that 3 generations back, the  De Malias and the De Grens left Japan and came to England, to have easier access to a better wizarding school.  The two families are extremely close, and have a common opinion that half-bloods are just as good at wizardry as pure-bloods.
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Offline Pro. Snape

• Potions Master and Head of Slytherin
  • Administrator
  • Second-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2004, 01:49:57 PM »
Eight points to Miss Dawn, seven to Miss Cooper, ten to Miss MacLaren, and 15 to Mr Neo for their biographies.

Offline YamNeo

• Slytherin
  • Fourth-year Student
  • Darkness is the Shadow cast by the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2004, 07:17:50 PM »
::checks self-description, then blushes:: oops, i forgot...

YamNeo is 5'10", w/ shoulder-length dark brown hair (he likes it long), and brown eyes.  He enjoys flying, but only as a hobby.
His favorite hobby is the collection of information and contacts.
He is an only child.

My apologies for the omission.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:07:34 PM by YamNeo »
I have found that the pursuit of knowledge and the pursuit of friends often find their paths splitting and running in completely opposite directions.

Offline Teka

• Hufflepuff
  • First-year Student
  • I'm confused.. wait.. I'm not...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2004, 10:43:10 PM »
Teka is shy, quite and prefers to keep her social group small and private.  She enjoys books and does well in classes.  She likes to make people happy, though it doesn't always work that way.  Many older students have taken her in as a little sister.  As much as she likes to be the wall flower, seeing another one around makes her pro active in socialization (very contradictory, but everyone has a few of those in thier personalities) so wall flowers and social outcasts beware, there is a friend out to find you.
She is not very tall, but not short, she has red/brown hair.  Her eyes are green and her closest friend is her pet black cat Tyra. 
She likes to stay inside and be by the fire rather than anywhere else.  She isn't very compeditive.  She likes to help others in thier persutes.  Teka is short from the Greek name Theokleia meaning Glory of God, though she is not at all Greek, she is accualy Irish and part Native American on her mother's side (long story in that one, safe to say her Dad is Irish and her Mum is American) She has a few Native American features, but one can mostly see the Irish.  Has an Irish accent, tinged by a slight American pronunciation of a few words. 
She hopes to continue to study History, especially the interactions of Muggles and Magical folk.  She also wishes to be a librarian in a magical library.  She is an only child.
The scent of the number nine is a very pretty color ^_^

Offline Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2004, 10:31:13 PM »
And eight points to Teka. :)
Friends don't let friends fly drunk.

One Ping Only

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2004, 12:03:24 PM »
*looks back at old profile and cringes*

... okay, it's not that bad, but still not as good as I want it to be. So I'm gonna do a rewrite, because I've got a thing for editing stuff and am an obsessive perfectionist.  Well, when it comes to some things, anyway.

Anyway, watch this space (hope that's allowed, btw).
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Offline Cho Chung

• Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and Gryffindor Prefect
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
  • Have you charmed your prefect today? :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2004, 10:07:28 PM »
Yep.  You just may or may not be eligible for more points for it, but more creativity is always encouraged, whether point-able or not. :D
Birthdays are great.  Everyone should have them.

Offline Xan

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • We are better than you
    • View Profile
    • Enter my lair ...
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »
That’s fine. I’m not doing it for the points anyway. ;)

This is going to be rather long. I have a tendency to ramble. :P

Xan Carivus was born into a fairly normal wizarding family – pure-blooded, though unlike the ancient pureblood families they were generally rather accepting of Muggles. Although she was born in London, her family’s origins can be traced to Switzerland, a fact which her parents Gavin and Selene have constantly reminded her of from an early age, in an effort to ensure that she didn’t ‘forget her roots’. Both her parents work for the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad in the Ministry of Magic.

Even at a young age, Xan’s magical talent was clear. When she was three, she caused a bunch of water balloons to explode during one of her cousin’s birthday parties. Needless to say, the party was a flop, and the cousin in question developed an irrational fear of said water balloons. Her parents’ expertise came in useful, as a few Muggle kids were present as well and needed to be Oblivated. This sort of accidental magic was not uncommon during Xan’s childhood, though it usually happened on a much smaller scale.

Often, Xan was left to her own devices as her parents’ jobs meant they were on-call at odd hours. Their old house-elf, Twinky, was her main baby-sitter, but not a particularly effective one, as she quickly discovered. She soon figured out how to ditch him and hide herself away in some corner of their old family mansion, or persuade him to allow her to get away with things that her parents would pitch a fit at if she asked them. As a result, she grew to be a somewhat unruly girl with dark brown hair, blue eyes and a slightly twisted sense of humor.

It came as no surprise to anyone in her family when she was Sorted into Slytherin. While she never actively sought trouble, she didn’t see the point in doing something – or not doing something – when there was a more appealing alternative, even if the alternative in question required bending or breaking a few rules. For the most part, Xan viewed the rules as more like guidelines than lines not to be crossed, and was cunning enough not to get caught when doing so. And if others didn't appreciate it, well, that was their problem.

At Hogwarts, Xan is not a particularly extraordinary student because she tends to only apply herself in certain subjects. She excels in Defense Against the Dark Arts, practical Charms and Transfiguration, and Potions, which she finds interesting, but is mediocre at best in subjects like Herbology and Astronomy because she doesn’t see the point in it. For some odd reason, she enjoys Divination and views it as an exercise in learning how to con people. As for flying, she enjoys it, but hasn’t the patience nor the team spirit necessary to play Quidditch. Xan has also been known to dabble in new spells, charms, jinxes and even sometimes the Dark Arts on the side when it catches her interest, but has yet to do any real damage with her experimentation. She tends to be a bit of a loner; though she is on friendly terms with quite a few of her housemates, she isn't really close to any of them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 03:22:37 AM by Xan »
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

"Do you ever get embarassed at being so thoroughly and consistently mistaken?" ~ Vergere

Spell check is your friend.

Offline Pro. Snape

• Potions Master and Head of Slytherin
  • Administrator
  • Second-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2004, 02:52:12 PM »
Though I would say this rewrite is finally worth the 10 points you were given for your earlier post, Xan, I think the extra effort to come back and do a better job is worth some recognition. Five points to Slytherin for your work. I would like to see students from other houses put a little more thought into this as well.

Offline Deedra Malfoy

• Slytherin
  • Fifth-year
  • I am a very pleasant mother pheasant plucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »
You really are terrible, Prof.  >:D
Tempus Fugit, so use it wisely

hairyhotter

« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2005, 09:09:02 AM »
My name's Jessmine, Jess for short. I am not a pure blood; my mum's a witch and my dad's a muggle. My dad got a nasty shock when he saw my mum levitating things with a stick (that's a wand). I got a real laugh when my dad told me this because I can imagine a stunned expression on his big, round and beardly face.

I got a brother who's two years older than me. He's studying in Beauxbatons because his gorgeous girlfriend is there and he is afraid that someone might stole his precious girlfriend away. Anyway, he is brilliant in his studies and got 11 OWLs ( my goodness!)

I was totally elated to receive the letter to Hogwarts because I didn't expect to enter such a prestigious school of witchcraft and wizardry. This is my first year and sorted into Hufflepuff. There's one thing about me is that I blush easily when I see a charming guy walk past me and my face turns a tomato red if he talks to me!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:58:46 AM by hairyhotter »

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2005, 10:06:24 AM »
Erm, Jess?  I know you said you were sorted into Ravenclaw, but the title under your username says "Hufflepuff."  So, uh, which one is it?

And also, do you want to go by Jess or by your username?  If you want to go by Jess, you might think of changing your username so us slow folk don't get confused.  ???

hairyhotter

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2005, 03:01:30 AM »
Goodness! I thought I was sorted into Ravenclaw!!! Anyway, thanks for telling me cho! Nice to meet you!

I feel so lost in this site, can anyone help me?

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2005, 08:12:02 AM »
Sure.  I'm one of the Gryffindor prefects, but we Gryffindors tend to be kind to Huffies.  Tip #1:  there's a link to the FAQ at the top of the page.  Go there.  Read it.  It should answer lots of your questions. 

Welcome to Hogsmeade, Jess.

hairyhotter

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2005, 09:37:25 AM »
Thanks a bunch!

Offline Morrin Midnight

• Gryffindor
  • Fourth-year Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
Tip 2#: The Slythrins tend to to be mean to huffies, Stay away from them

I'm Morrin Midnight and I'm in Gryffindor just to tell you

Offline SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2005, 11:27:16 PM »
Tip #3: That may be true in role play, but everyone is more-or-less friendly around here most of the time, and you should have no trouble making friends.

I'm Shelly, another Gryffindor Prefect, and I am just going to put extra emphasis on what Cho said about the FAQ.

Tip #4: We should probably make some feeble attempt to drag this back on topic, no?  ;D
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

hairyhotter

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2005, 02:06:44 AM »
Thanks you all for the gentle reminder. I will be more careful and not to offend anyone, since I am only in the 1st year.

Offline Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2005, 09:22:48 AM »
*coughs nervously* Erm, Shelly, actually, you're Keeper of the Keys and grounds, not a Gryffindor prefects. Small difference, of course. Just thought I'd point it out. :police:

One Ping Only

Offline SeaShelly3

• Keeper of the Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard
  • Prefect
  • Seventh-year
  • Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    • View Profile
    • Just a LiveJournal...
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
Oh, sorry. But, it does say Prefect in my user info, so I kind of assumed.  :-[
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells."

Offline Ping

• Minister of Magic
  • Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
    • Ping's Notes
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2005, 12:19:31 PM »
Don't fret. That's just because the "moderator" member group is called "prefect." Which I can probably copy and rename ... *wanders off in admin haze*

One Ping Only

Offline Cho Chung

• Administrator
  • Seventh-year
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2005, 04:40:23 PM »
I believe the official title is "Keeper of Keys and Grounds and Rogue Wizard Prefect."  At least, that's how I've been reading the title this whole time, Ping. 

Is that not it?